PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will pick 20th

TeKu
04-17-2010, 12:19 AM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/16/draft.order/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

In a 4 way tie of teams at 50-32 Boston won out, then the Spurs, followed by OKC and Portland.

A pick in the teens for once would have been nice (even if it was 19th) but picking behind Presti & Pritchard would have been tough too. All in all a good outcome.

EricB
04-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Yeah should get a solid to darn good player at 20...

DMX7
04-17-2010, 12:39 AM
I think this is the highest the Spurs have picked since they got the #1 in 1997.

dastrey
04-17-2010, 12:59 AM
It is a relief that Portland will not be picking before us.

EmptyMan
04-17-2010, 01:51 AM
lmao, with all the injuries POR has had they could still be picking high in the draft to stack their roster.

lol overachievers.

vander
04-17-2010, 02:06 AM
we'll be lucky to get a guy as good as Mahinmi

Joe Schmoogins
04-17-2010, 02:19 AM
just for fun...

here's a list of the 20th picks over the past 20 years:

2009: Eric Maynor, Virgina Commonwealth
2008: Alexis Ajinca, France
2007: Jason Smith, Colorado State
2006: Renaldo Balkman, Phoenix
2005: Julius Hodge, North Carolina State
2004: Jameer Nelson, St. Joseph’s
2003: Dahntay Jones, Duke
2002: Kareem Rush, Missouri
2001: Brendan Haywood, North Carolina
2000: Speedy Claxton, Hofstra
1999: Dion Glover, Georgia Tech
1998: Roshown McLeod, Duke
1997: Paul Grant, Wisconsin
1996: Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Lithuania
1995: Jason Caffey, Alabama
1994: B.J. Tyler, Texas
1993: Scott Burrell, Connecticut
1992: Hubert Davis, North Carolina
1991: John Turner, Phillips
1990: Gerald Glass, Mississippi

...a surprisingly unimpressive list if you ask me.

WildcardManu
04-17-2010, 03:05 AM
just for fun...

here's a list of the 20th picks over the past 20 years:

2009: Eric Maynor, Virgina Commonwealth
2008: Alexis Ajinca, France
2007: Jason Smith, Colorado State
2006: Renaldo Balkman, Phoenix
2005: Julius Hodge, North Carolina State
2004: Jameer Nelson, St. Joseph’s
2003: Dahntay Jones, Duke
2002: Kareem Rush, Missouri
2001: Brendan Haywood, North Carolina
2000: Speedy Claxton, Hofstra
1999: Dion Glover, Georgia Tech
1998: Roshown McLeod, Duke
1997: Paul Grant, Wisconsin
1996: Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Lithuania
1995: Jason Caffey, Alabama
1994: B.J. Tyler, Texas
1993: Scott Burrell, Connecticut
1992: Hubert Davis, North Carolina
1991: John Turner, Phillips
1990: Gerald Glass, Mississippi

...a surprisingly unimpressive list if you ask me.

Then again, the Spurs have fared better with lower picks.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-17-2010, 03:12 AM
I think we'll be able to get a good swing athlete at 20. Pondexter would be perfect.

DMX7
04-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Jameer Nelson is pretty good.

Danny.Zhu
04-17-2010, 06:00 AM
I think this is the highest the Spurs have picked since they got the #1 in 1997.

And the reason for that is......

BronxCowboy
04-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Jameer Nelson is pretty good.

Ilgauskas would have been an amazing pick at 20 if he hadn't had so many foot problems over the first few years. Spurs fans would be salivating over Haywood a 20 too. A few other guys on this list have been solid bench players, which, IMO, is all you really need with the 20th pick.

wut
04-17-2010, 06:43 AM
The truth is that the Spurs will get the same type of player they've been picking at 29th...except they'll have to worry slightly less this year about someone picking them up before they get the chance. :lol

If they're not a top 5 player, it's all about your scouting department.

Muser
04-17-2010, 06:49 AM
What other picks do the Spurs have??

BronxCowboy
04-17-2010, 07:34 AM
The first round picks by the Spurs in the Tim Duncan era have been Hill, Splitter, Mahinmi, Udrih, Leandrinho Barbosa, John Salmons, Parker, Leon Smith, and Felipe Lopez, all at picks 24-29. I'm sure they'll do fine at 20.

And I think Spurs pick at 49 in the second round.

Muser
04-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Next year could be pretty good, get rid of Mason and Bonner if they don't perform in the playoffs, sign Splitter + 20th pick. Youth movement bitches.

mookie2001
04-17-2010, 07:50 AM
The first round picks by the Spurs in the Tim Duncan era have been Hill, Splitter, Mahinmi, Udrih, Leandrinho Barbosa, John Salmons, Parker, Leon Smith, and Felipe Lopez, all at picks 24-29. I'm sure they'll do fine at 20.

thats 2 good picks out of 9, im not sure theyll do fine at all

nadroj117
04-17-2010, 09:16 AM
thats 2 good picks out of 9, im not sure theyll do fine at all

That is 2 good picks out of 9?! I'm guessing you are saying Parker and Hill. Barbosa, Splitter, Salmons???? Those are great picks in that range. Just because they never played in a Spurs uniform doesn't mean they weren't great picks. 1st rd money is garunteed and we were winning championships. I can't blame the front office for trading away our 1st rd picks so we didn't have to have a player garunteed for 3 years and tie up rosters spots for vets at the time. Yes now its youth movement time so we need to keep these picks.

The Truth #6
04-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Ahead of Presti and Pritchard is the good part.

hsxvvd
04-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Good Result.

Some good players will still be around @ 20, and Pritchard can't steal them now unless he buys more picks.

Hooks
04-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I can't see us not drafting a SF or a big man. The only SF on the team is RJ, and at SG and PG we're pretty stacked.

wut
04-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Next year could be pretty good, get rid of Mason and Bonner if they don't perform in the playoffs, sign Splitter + 20th pick. Youth movement bitches.
what's with the Bonner hate? His role is to spread the floor, forcing defenses to be late on rotations, and hit 3s when they refuse to rotate....without him teams would sit two big men on Duncan or in the lane where the guards can't penetrate.

If you see Bonner going in the game it's to create spacing.

Sadly his defense is better than Blair's to boot.

VBM
04-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't mind watching Dexter Pittman and Dejuan Blair fight over rebounds...he's prob. a mid-2nd round pick that could potentially fall to us late in the draft.

Also think Damion James (1st rounder) could be a good 2-3 for us since we need to plan for the departure of RJ after next season.

This could just be my UT bias talking though.:toast

Big Empty
04-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I'd like Glen Monroe. He's foregoing is junior year at Georgetown. I wonder how high he would go in the draft since he's considered a lotter pick. 6-11 248. He seems to be a decent passer and can run the floor.

Johnny RIngo
04-17-2010, 11:48 AM
what's with the Bonner hate? His role is to spread the floor, forcing defenses to be late on rotations, and hit 3s when they refuse to rotate....without him teams would sit two big men on Duncan or in the lane where the guards can't penetrate.

If you see Bonner going in the game it's to create spacing.

Sadly his defense is better than Blair's to boot.

He's a choke artist.

Ocotillo
04-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Barbosa was a pick dictated by Phoenix because of a trade.

Salmons was a pick dictated by Philly because of a trade.

Leon Smith was Don Nelson's pick because of a trade.

Felipe Lopez was a Vancouver pick because of trade.

The above players while drafted by the Spurs officially, were picked because a trade preceded the selection and they were selecting the players that the other team asked them to.

That tells me the Spurs brass either didn't like who was left on the board at that point or simply felt they were doing better by making a trade. Remember this team does not necessarily like taking on guaranteed first round contracts unless they really believe the guy will be on the roster.

That leaves Hill, Parker, Mahinmi, Splitter and Udrih.

Udrih is still in the league, Parker is a stud, Hill is a stud, Mahinmi is the only disappointment. The jury is still out on Splitter but in light of the decisions made by the front office in the past, I like the odds.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-17-2010, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't mind watching Dexter Pittman and Dejuan Blair fight over rebounds...he's prob. a mid-2nd round pick that could potentially fall to us late in the draft.

Also think Damion James (1st rounder) could be a good 2-3 for us since we need to plan for the departure of RJ after next season.

:lol Pittman? Dude will be a bust in the pros, no thanks. James will go higher than 20.

mookie2001
04-17-2010, 11:52 AM
That is 2 good picks out of 9?! I'm guessing you are saying Parker and Hill. Barbosa, Splitter, Salmons???? Those are great picks in that range. Just because they never played in a Spurs uniform doesn't mean they weren't great picks

i agree barbosa and salmons are players but yes, because they arent in spurs uniform it makes them bad picks

i guess you want us to pick some guys that will average 15 ppg for another team...ohhh we can only hope so

and if a big center from texas was mentioned in this thread that makes me laugh, no bias, that center just stinks at basketball, unless you want a big man who cant shoot, cant shoot free throws, has bad hands, has bad feet, lacks intelligence, cant stay out of foul trouble, has poor conditioning in a 40 min game, cant guard his man in the post, cant block shots, cant pass, is slow, a poor decision maker, has a bad attitude and failed time after time after time after time to do anything significant for four years in college. than the texas center is your man

mookie2001
04-17-2010, 11:58 AM
splitter was not a good pick, we're talking about reality, earth planet 2010, splitter is a bust

ohmwrecker
04-17-2010, 12:03 PM
He's a choke artist.

Pondexter would be good, but I also kind of like Gordon Hayward. He needs to hit the gym, but he's a fairly athletic, decent rebounder and defender and can flat out shoot the ball. I would only take him if we let Bonner walk though. Two Opie Cunninghams on the same team is a little much.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-17-2010, 12:40 PM
The most auspicious aspect of Spurs draft day is that it seems we've finally scrapped that fucking bull shit Euro-prospect-grab-and-stash piece of shit strategy that fucked us for like four straight drafts.

Fuck that bull shit, pick us some american born athletes and whatever happens happens at least they are here (or in Austin)

yavozerb
04-17-2010, 12:45 PM
The most auspicious aspect of Spurs draft day is that it seems we've finally scrapped that fucking bull shit Euro-prospect-grab-and-stash piece of shit strategy that fucked us for like four straight drafts.

Fuck that bull shit, pick us some american born athletes and whatever happens happens at least they are here (or in Austin)

Has the euro picks been poor picks? Well find out hopefully next season with splitter and maybe the following season with de colo. You might be right or you might be horribly wrong on your assessment.

VBM
04-17-2010, 12:47 PM
:lol Pittman? Dude will be a bust in the pros, no thanks. James will go higher than 20.

Late second round, I don't mind taking a shot on him versus some Euro who won't see US soil before Parker retires.

benefactor
04-17-2010, 12:52 PM

I wouldn't be mad if they drafted James, but if Pondexter is still on the board at 20 I'd rather see them take him instead. He is more of a pure SF and James is more of a SF/PF tweener. Pondexter also has better all around skills...namely in the ball handling dept. James is a lot like Hairston, in that he can explode to the rim but has trouble if he is forced to dribble laterally and change directions.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Has the euro picks been poor picks? Well find out hopefully next season with splitter and maybe the following season with de colo. You might be right or you might be horribly wrong on your assessment.

No I'm horribly correct.

From the draft in the summer of 2002 to 2005 we did the euro thing and the result was a team totally gutted of youth and athleticism for the playoffs in 2008 and 2009. Hill and Blair are the only two players to fix that situation for 2010.

One major injury proved to be the spurs downfall in 2008 and 2009 because of a lack of depth that was not old as dust.

We wasted like four straight drafts, and Iam Mahinmi and Splitter both count as wastes because neither of them have done jack shit yet.

It's no coincidence our last two impact rookies were good old fashioned american college players.

Every one before that after Parker has been a total waste of the spurs time and money and efforts so far.

jjktkk
04-17-2010, 12:58 PM
splitter was not a good pick, we're talking about reality, earth planet 2010, splitter is a bust

And what do you base your opinion on Splitter being a bust?

bigdog
04-17-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't care who they draft, as long as they don't stash them overseas for 3 years. I would prefer a SF or a big, though.

mookie2001
04-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Splitter = zero points scored, zero career wins = angel lov

mazerrackham
04-17-2010, 01:51 PM
please say no to dexter pittman. Please, no

Dingle Barry
04-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Lol Dexter Pittman won't be drafted.

Damion James would be interesting if he fell to 20. He's a pretty bad perimeter defender though.

Pondexter or Hayward works for me. And whoever said Benzing in the second, I'm with you.

200 miles
04-17-2010, 04:09 PM
If Paul George is already taken in the draft, then I hope we get Pondexter.

BackHome
04-18-2010, 12:35 AM
First round:
Gordon Haywaord 6"8 SF/PF
+Good rebounder
+Smart Player
+Nice release
-tweener
- lateral quickness

James Anderson 6"6 SG
+80% FT
+Scorer
+Gets to the free throw line
- Defense
- Outside shooting

Quincy Pondexter 6'6 SF
+ NBA ready

2ND Round

Pablo Aguilar 6'8 PF
+ Great motor and smart
- Height

Luke Haragondy 6'7 SF/PG
+Can Score
-Lateral quickness
-Tweener

Time Ohlbrecht 6"11 or Benzing
+ White Robert Horry
- Foreign
-Need to take some roids

Maybe:

Gani Lawal 6'9
+ 7'0 wingspan
+ Taller Blair

Ditty
04-18-2010, 01:17 AM
i really like this years draft my first pick is paul george who can go in the lottery but could slip to the spurs but has the danny granger offense but paul could become a better offense creator when he gets stronger and needs to work on his pull up jumpers a bit but can get to the rim pretty good and also the kid could shoot lights out and has that trevor ariza defense who they compare him too with his length and how is a smart defense player who can also pick off alot of passes

from draftnet:

NBA Comparison: Trevor Ariza/Danny Granger

Strenghts : Has great length and athleticism ... Smooth player, makes plays look effortless ... He has good court vision and is an excellent passer ... His length combined with his release point make his jump shot difficult to contest ... Can finish around the basket with finesse or power and can do so with either hand ... Outstanding three point shooter, shot 44.7 percent from behind the arc as a freshman ... His greatest strength may be his ability to play the game with maturity and understanding of someone well beyond his years ... Allows the game come to him, does not force plays and rarely takes bad shots ... He's a good rebounder because of his length and timing, and should be even better as he adds weight to his frame ... Led Fresno State as a freshman with six double-doubles ... His wingspan and basketball IQ allow him to disrupt the game on the defensive end of the court ... Has a tremendous basketball frame with huge wingspan and the ability to put a lot of weight on his wide shoulders ... He averaged 1.7 steals and 1.0 block per game last season in the Western Athletic Conference.

Weaknesses: Listed at 6'7" 185, he'll need to add weight in order to absorb contact at the NBA level ... His first step and overall game is smooth rather than explosive, although strength should help him to become more explosive ... Has a tendency to play vertical, looks stiff at times on the court ... Good shooting percentages, but may need to speed up the release on his jump shot at the next level ... At times he can be unselfish to a fault ... Forty percent of his offensive attempts as a freshman were from the three point line, needs to become more adept at putting the ball on the floor ... Playing at Fresno State, there will be some criticism about his level of competition ...

ERcmFdlrrXY

2nd Round pick: Da'sean Butler

sucks he tore his acl but should still take this kid if he proves he is still decent in workouts even if he has to sit majority of next year kid can also shoot lights out and take it to the basket and a good on the ball defender also wouldnt be a huge risk and could be a high reward if he comes back well from the acl injury

NBA Comparison: Rasual Butler

Strengths: Versatile swingman with an old school game. Finds ways to score (17 ppg as a Junior). Excels in the mid-range, shooting effectively both off the dribble and in catch-and-shoot situations. Prefers to face up defenders in the triple threat position, create space with his frame, and step back for a jumper. Effective stroke off the dribble to either his right or left. Has enhanced three point range over his collegiate career, shooting 35% in five attempts per contest. Elevation on jumper is not ideal, but high release point alleviates some concern. Moves well without the ball, seeking out creases and making decisive cuts. Fairly creative around the basket, showing soft touch with a floater and using spin moves to evade traffic. Uses the glass extremely well. Comfortable finishing with his left hand. Strong offensive rebounder (2 per game for his career) as a result of positioning and hustle, regularly picking up garbage buckets. Saw a dramatic increase in free throw percentage last season from 64% to 76%. Aggressive defender, pressuring the ball and getting up in the grill of his man. Fights hard to defend the post against bigger opponents. Always stays low in his defensive stance

Weaknesses: Not an elite level athlete. Quickness and explosiveness are not staples of his repertoire. Plays 'below the rim'. Has difficulty beating defenders off the dribble, more often than not pulling up. Ball handling is adequate. He does not appear comfortable with multiple dribbles. Lack of ability to create for himself or others is a glaring weakness. Often overwhelmed athletically against top competition, settling almost entirely for three point attempts or long jumpers. Forced to take low percentage shots too often. At 6'7 225 he should spend more time in the paint. Needs to take advantage of his size and strength in the post against small opposition. Only a touch over three free throw attempts per game for his career. Lateral quickness is below average. Likely to be exposed guarding quicker wings at the next level.

31So1fl910A

rascal
04-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Good result. Going ahead of both Portland and OKC.

exstatic
04-18-2010, 10:20 AM
James Anderson 6"6 SG
+80% FT
+Scorer
+Gets to the free throw line
- Defense
- Outside shooting

The biggest chink in Anderson’s armor and the main thing holding him back from being able to project him as an outstanding NBA role-player has always been his play on the defensive end. Unfortunately, not much seems to have changed this year. Anderson isn’t much of a presence at all on the perimeter, looking very upright in his stance and showing below average lateral quickness, getting beat on a regular basis off the dribble by fairly mediocre college slashers. He doesn’t use his body well enough, lacks a significant degree of physicality in his approach, and does not utilize his length at all to contest opponents’ shots.

Harry Callahan
04-18-2010, 10:45 AM

The Spurs have not really blown very many #1's - Leon Smith was picked for the Mavs for sure in 99. Barbosa and Salmons were also picked for other teams I think. I really think Mahimi can play in the league like a lot of these other guys and it seems SA will really try to get Splitter in here too.

They have some good 2nd rounders too in the Duncan era. Manu, Blair, Scola. Not bad work.

Harry Callahan
04-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Barbosa was a pick dictated by Phoenix because of a trade.

Salmons was a pick dictated by Philly because of a trade.

Leon Smith was Don Nelson's pick because of a trade.

Felipe Lopez was a Vancouver pick because of trade.

The above players while drafted by the Spurs officially, were picked because a trade preceded the selection and they were selecting the players that the other team asked them to.

That tells me the Spurs brass either didn't like who was left on the board at that point or simply felt they were doing better by making a trade. Remember this team does not necessarily like taking on guaranteed first round contracts unless they really believe the guy will be on the roster.

That leaves Hill, Parker, Mahinmi, Splitter and Udrih.

Udrih is still in the league, Parker is a stud, Hill is a stud, Mahinmi is the only disappointment. The jury is still out on Splitter but in light of the decisions made by the front office in the past, I like the odds.

OOPs, I missed your post when I posted. You said it better than I did. I also agree with you on the remaining guys. An 80-100% hit rate (the guy has a solid to great NBA game) is pretty good.

Harry Callahan
04-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Lol Dexter Pittman won't be drafted.

Damion James would be interesting if he fell to 20. He's a pretty bad perimeter defender though.

Pondexter or Hayward works for me. And whoever said Benzing in the second, I'm with you.

I agee about Pittman - his second half of the season made him an undraftable player. He was a lazy sack.

I like James. Udogh from Baylor would be a solid big for us. I think James could be available. Udogh might go higher than 20 since he is 6-9 or 6-10 and a shot blocker. I don't know a lot of the other guys outside the Big 12. Was Pondexter from Butler? He can score the ball if that's the guy I'm thinking of.

dbestpro
04-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Do not like Pondexter. I would prefer a player that can go SF/PF. We need some size on the wing. We have enough 6-4 to 6-7 guys. In fact you can find talent like Pondexter all over the NBDL. I think he will be an early second round pick.

Harry Callahan
04-18-2010, 11:01 AM
i agree barbosa and salmons are players but yes, because they arent in spurs uniform it makes them bad picks

i guess you want us to pick some guys that will average 15 ppg for another team...ohhh we can only hope so

Barbosa was traded for a future #1 that turned into Nazi Mohammed. Salmons was traded for Speedy Claxton. I would argue each of those players helped SA in a material way win an NBA title when they were here.

As a result the use of the picks was not bad.

I hate Pittman as a basketball player, too. Fat, lazy and stupid doesn't work with the big boys in NBA.

bigdog
04-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I'd like to see either Damion James, James Anderson, or Quincy Pondexter on the Spurs.

Solid D
04-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Top 20 or lower draft picks for the Spurs over their history:

Year.....Pick.....Player
1978.....20......Frankie Sanders
1979.....19......Wiley Peck
1980.....15......Reggie Johnson
1983.....19......John Paxson
1984......7.......Alvin Robertson
1985.....14......Alfredrick Hughes
1986.....10......Johnny Dawkins
1987......1.......David Robinson
1988.....10......Willie Anderson
1989......3......Sean Elliott
1992.....18......Tracy Murray
1997......1.......Tim Duncan

13 years without a top 20 pick until now.

Supergirl
04-18-2010, 01:57 PM
the truth is that the spurs will get the same type of player they've been picking at 29th...except they'll have to worry slightly less this year about someone picking them up before they get the chance. :lol

if they're not a top 5 player, it's all about your scouting department.

+1