PDA

View Full Version : Series Predictions: Spurs vs. Mavs, 2010

lurker23
04-17-2010, 11:09 AM
This thread is a far cry from the threads I normally make. Usually my threads have to do with detailed analysis or player evaluation. In this case, I decided to take a shot at pure, unadulterated, deterministic predictions. My predictions will obviously be littered with my own biases, inherent flaws, and Spurs homerism. I'm not sure how good I'll be at this, but if I fall flat on my face publicly, everyone can tell me to go back to my comfort zone. Without further ado, here's what (I think) will happen in the series between the Spurs and the Mavs:

-Manu Ginobili will be the MVP of the series. He will have 2 games of 32 points or greater, and 3 other games in the 20 point range. At least one win for the Spurs will be in large part due to a Ginobili 3-point play (traditional or long-range) in the last 3 minutes of the game.

-Dirk Nowitzki will be near unstoppable at times against the Spurs, and will average 28 ppg. The Spurs will throw at least 6 different defenders at him in the course of the series, and none will have consistent success. The best success against him in short stretches will actually be a smaller player, either Keith Bogans or George Hill. However, more often than not, Pop will put a big on Dirk; of these, Matt Bonner will be the most physical with Dirk, but he will hit at least a few difficult shots over Bonner's outstretched hands.

-Speaking of Matt Bonner, despite many doubters of his ability to play in the post-season, he will have a solid series. Nothing spectacular, but he will shoot 10 of 25 (40%) from three-point range, shoot 47% from the field, and average his usual 3.5 rpg. Very few of his three point makes will come in the 4th quarter, but he will play a role in keeping the Spurs in games in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

-Jason Terry will again be a thorn in the side of the Spurs. He will hit some ridiculous shots, and be a key component in at least one Mavericks win. He will do his best to play the Josh Howard role of yesteryear, being the X Factor that takes down the Spurs. He will succeed to a point, as for the most part he will be the 2nd best Maverick on the court, 18 ppg.

-Other than Manu Ginobili and the ever-steady Tim Duncan, George Hill will be the Spurs star of the series. As a starter, he will average 15.5 points per game. Commentators will swoon over him, and when he gets 3rd place in the Most Improved Player voting, at least one announcer will comment that perhaps the award should have gone to Mr. George Hill after all.

-Caron Butler will be a relative non-factor on the offensive end for the Mavericks. Slowed by a Spurs defensive attack led by George Hill, combined with a lingering hip strain, Butler may have a good game or two, but in the end will average 13 ppg on a disappointing 39% from the field.

-I can't talk about everyone in this post, so I'll just make a few short notes about those who I have left out.
Parker: uses his speed well, 16.0 ppg.
Jefferson: uneven, but has some success on the fast break.
McDyess: solid, jumper streaky but with more ups than downs.
Blair: beast one game, rookie the next.
Mason/Bogans: spot minutes, some effectiveness.
Marion: short spurts of annoyance, mostly ineffective.
Haywood: darn good player, gets 3 double-doubles through the series.
Dampier: averages 2 blocks per game, but is MIA against Parker and Ginobili penetration late in games.
Beaubois: 1/2 surprisingly good, 1/2 rookie in headlights.
Barea: minutes increase through the series as Mavs search for answers to Spurs backcourt.
Kidd: the true X-Factor in the series, plays very well, but in the end can't hit enough 3-pointers to save the Mavericks.

-Spurs in 6.

Lukor
04-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Uhm just one thing:Butler does not have a lingering hip strain. He missed 1game and that was a precaution because we were playing the clippers anyway.
He played 38min the next game(against SA)

Spursfanfromafar
04-17-2010, 11:22 AM
More than predictions..this reads like the Spurs in the past 25 odd games to end the season .

lurker23
04-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Uhm just one thing:Butler does not have a lingering hip strain. He missed 1game and that was a precaution because we were playing the clippers anyway.
He played 38min the next game(against SA)

Hip injuries are tricky. I am not a doctor, and have no inside information on this matter, but I felt this injury could have a surprise impact on the series. It might take a solid bump to reaggrevate it, but I always think hip injuries are underrated.

I suppose with all the Mavs fans here, I should have put another caveat: this is all in good fun, and mostly just for my entertainment. The Mavs are a darn good team, and could very easily beat the Spurs in 5-6 games.

...However, this is what I believe will happen. I realize some of these predictions are more/less bold than others, but it is my attempt to be Carnac the Magnificent.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Carnac.jpg

:lol

wut
04-17-2010, 11:25 AM
If Spurs win one of the first two games, I say Spurs in 7....otherwise Mavs in 6.

Reason: I haven't seen any reason to believe Kidd won't produce as well as he has lately; Parker isn't playing 100% and Mavs shoot well at the line, which is important as they have homecourt advantage.

Ultimately I think it's the "Spurs defense" that will need to show up in order to win this series.

G-Nob
04-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Got it in the right thread this time.

Spurs vs. Mavs 2010 Playoff Prediction:

Game 1: Mavs win

Media: We knew Dallas just had too many weapons
Mavs: We executed our game plan
Spurs: We need to do a better job defensively
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: lol spurs
Spurstalk Threads: 4 rings, b*tches!

Game 2: Spurs Win

Media: The championship pride would not allow a sweep
Mavs: "We need to figure out a plan for Ginobili"
Spurs: "Did what we came here to do, get a split. Now we have to take care of our home court."
Spurstalk Mavs Fans (after 1-day silence): We're still the better team. Mavs in 6.
Spurstalk Threads: Ditka couldn't stop Manu tonight.

Game 3: Mavs win

Media: The Spurs are showing their age
Mavs: We took back home court, now its in our hands.
Spurs: We need to do a better job on dirk
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: Bring on the Suns!
Spurstalk Threads: Mase is getting too many minutes. Fire Pop

Game 4: Spurs win

Media: Terry punches Matt Bonner
Mavs: We have to keep Parker out of the paint( followed by mavs player threatning to knock TP on his azz next time he gets in the paint)
Spurs: Tony got good penetration tonight
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: F-you, Salvatore! The refs screwed us again!
Spurstalk Threads: The ghetto smurf, flying nut puncher returns!

-Terry Suspended for Game 5
-Stu Jackson warns of premeditated flagrants
-Cuban fined 35K for criticizing refs

Game 5: Mavs win
Media: Mavs FT 22-25, Spurs FT 6-10 (Free JET t-shirts are passed out)
Mavs: We felt the game was fairly called
Spurs: No more strategy, here on out, its just basketball
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: No JET and we still beat your azzes
Spurstalk Threads: It ain't over till its over. (Prompting another No Limit rallying thread)

Game 6: Spurs win
Media: The Mavs can't match the Spurs championship experience
Mavs: This is why we played all season t get home court
Spurs: We need to get one more in their house
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: (very nervous) Hard fought series, we're still the better team, though.
Spurstalk Threads: This time Manu won't foul Dirk!

Game 7: If Mavs win
Media: Spurs are too old, mavs were too much for them
Mavs: This is why we made the trade
Spurs: Changes need to be made
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: lol spurs, don't cry
Spurstalk Threads: Four rings. Whens the draft?

Game 7: If Spurs win
Media: Never underestimate the heart of a champion
Mavs: Give em credit, they played us well.
Spurs: It was a hard-fought series, we're glad to be passed them
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: (after long absence) we still hate your team but Spurstalk is waaaaaaay better than DB.com
Spurstalk Threads: Drive for 5!

FeZZy
04-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Game 1: Mavs win

Media: We knew Dallas just had too many weapons
Mavs: We executed our game plan
Spurs: We need to do a better job defensively
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: lol spurs
Spurstalk Threads: 4 rings, b*tches!

Game 2: Spurs Win

Media: The championship pride would not allow a sweep
Mavs: "We need to figure out a plan for Ginobili"
Spurs: "Did what we came here to do, get a split. Now we have to take care of our home court."
Spurstalk Mavs Fans (after 1-day silence): We're still the better team. Mavs in 6.
Spurstalk Threads: Ditka couldn't stop Manu tonight.

Game 3: Mavs win

Media: The Spurs are showing their age
Mavs: We took back home court, now its in our hands.
Spurs: We need to do a better job on dirk
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: Bring on the Suns!
Spurstalk Threads: Mase is getting too many minutes. Fire Pop

Media: Terry punches Matt Bonner :lmao
Mavs: We have to keep Parker out of the paint( followed by mavs player threatning to knock TP on his azz next time he gets in the paint)
Spurs: Tony got good penetration tonight
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: F-you, Salvatore! The refs screwed us again!
Spurstalk Threads: The ghetto smurf, flying nut puncher returns!

-Terry Suspended for Game 5
-Stu Jackson warns of premeditated flagrants
-Cuban fined 35K for criticizing refs

Game 5: Mavs win
Media: Mavs FT 22-25, Spurs FT 6-10 (Free JET t-shirts are passed out)
Mavs: We felt the game was fairly called
Spurs: No more strategy, here on out, its just basketball
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: No JET and we still beat your azzes
Spurstalk Threads: It ain't over till its over. (Prompting another No Limit rallying thread)

Game 6: Spurs win
Media: The Mavs can't match the Spurs championship experience
Mavs: This is why we played all season t get home court
Spurs: We need to get one more in their house
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: (very nervous) Hard fought series, we're still the better team, though.
Spurstalk Threads: This time Manu won't foul Dirk!

Game 7: If Mavs win
Media: Spurs are too old, mavs were too much for them
Mavs: This is why we made the trade
Spurs: Changes need to be made
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: lol spurs, don't cry
Spurstalk Threads: Four rings. Whens the draft?

Game 7: If Spurs win
Media: Never underestimate the heart of a champion
Mavs: Give em credit, they played us well.
Spurs: It was a hard-fought series, we're glad to be passed them
Spurstalk Mavs Fans: (after long absence) we still hate your team but Spurstalk is waaaaaaay better than DB.com
Spurstalk Threads: Drive for 5!

lurker23
04-17-2010, 12:32 PM

:lol, Great stuff, G-Nob. :tu :toast

ohmwrecker
04-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Media: Terry punches Matt Bonner

. . . Blair eats Terry whole. Both players suspended for one game, or until Blair shits Terry back out.

wut
04-17-2010, 01:18 PM

Well done sir! :hat Post of the day imo. :lol

NFGIII
04-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Verry Funny...:lol

Good to see a sense of humor aomong us.

Going to be a hard fought series and I do believe that the Spurs will prevail in 6.

Hopefully we win the first one - I've got 15K in Vbookie that they will :D

DesignatedT
04-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I enjoyed reading that. :toast

badfish22
04-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Good write-up. If Caron plays like you think he will, its probably right on.
But I think he will have a big series.

Mavs in 6

lurker23
04-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Good write-up. If Caron plays like you think he will, its probably right on.
But I think he will have a big series.

Mavs in 6

Thanks. I agree, if Butler plays very well, then the Mavs have a good chance to take the series. Here's how I see it:

Players that Mavs fans shouldn't be worried about: Nowitzki, Kidd

Players that could make or break the Mavericks: Butler, Terry, and to a lesser extent, Haywood

Players that Spurs fans shouldn't be worried about: Duncan and, ironically with his injury, Parker

Players that could make or break the Spurs: George Hill, Richard Jefferson (at this point, has more upside than downside, given what Spurs expect from him), and Manu Ginobili (only because Spurs need Manu to be more than good, they need him to be great)

MavDynasty
04-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Caron settles for Jumpers too much but in that last game against SA (for whatever it's worth) he attacked and got sent to the line where he shoots like 85% I think. We need Caron to be a 18ish PPG scorer on 45 percent shooting if Dallas wants to advance