PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com "the Spurs are arguably the best team in the conference."

Tp9gospursgo
04-18-2010, 01:47 AM
3. What lower seeds have the best chance at an upset?
In the East, it has to be Miami. See the two answers above for the explanation.
In the West, the Spurs have a real shot at pulling off an "upset." See below for the explanation.

4. Which first-round series has the most riding on it?
Dallas-San Antonio, as both teams are legitimate contenders to win the West. The Mavs are the No. 2 seed and the Spurs are arguably the best team in the conference.
The Mavs went 23-7 and 11-5 against playoff teams after acquiring Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood. They have as much the talent and depth as any team in the West outside of Los Angeles. And of course, they have home-court advantage for at least the first two rounds.
Eight of the last 10 NBA champions have ranked in the top 10 both offensively and defensively. The Spurs are the only team that meets those requirements in the West. Their post-break record (20-11) isn't that impressive, but they did beat the Cavs, Magic, Lakers and Nuggets down the stretch. And they're still led by a couple of guys, Gregg Popovich and Tim Duncan, with four rings.
With the trades they made before the season and at the deadline, both of these teams have gone all-in. And one of them is going out in the first round *cough dallas cough* :toast

Danny.Zhu
04-18-2010, 02:08 AM
NBA.com has proved its predicting capability on the Heat part...

HarlemHeat37
04-18-2010, 02:15 AM
That is false..but a nice compliment, I guess..

Tp9gospursgo
04-18-2010, 02:27 AM
I feel that we could definitely be the best team in the conference. Especially if we beat Dallas.

phyzik
04-18-2010, 02:42 AM
IF WE BEAT DALLAS we will be the scariest team in the playoffs.

My belief is that it depends on the first game. Spurs win the first game tomorrow, it goes 6. If we win the second game, it may go 7. If we lose both games in Dallas... its over in 6 going to the mavs.

The first game is crucial for the Spurs in my opinion.

Winehole23
04-18-2010, 02:46 AM
All the games are crucial in a seven game series, but yeah. If we win the first one away, we did our job; if we win both, we have our foot on their neck.

Winehole23
04-18-2010, 02:49 AM
The weasel word tells us where we really are, but I like that the Spurs peaked late this year -- just in time for the playoffs, like the Spurs often seem to do in the Tim Duncan era...

Winehole23
04-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Somebody's got to go out and win it. Why not the San Antonio Spurs?

Two of our big three are playing nails, TP is almost back, and as usual, we got a good bench. Better than usual, in fact.

AnthonyM
04-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Eight of the last 10 NBA champions have ranked in the top 10 both offensively and defensively. The Spurs are the only team that meets those requirements in the West.

Wow.

I didn't know that. Interesting stat.

MateoNeygro
04-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Let's hope the Spurs prove this prediction to be right. I have faith.

SpursTillTheEnd
04-18-2010, 02:57 AM
We've been the best team in the nba for a decade since 1999, ain't nothing changing

Winehole23
04-18-2010, 03:04 AM
George Hill is a legit future star and if RJ starts playing like RJ can -- which he's only done sporadically this season -- that could be really scary for the opposition.

Hopefully the Spurs will continue to grow and excel as a team and as individuals during the playoffs.

Go, motherfucking Spurs, Go!

mingus
04-18-2010, 04:37 AM
imo the Spurs proved they were title contenders after beating LA on the road. that sealed the deal for me. i don't think they'll win, but i think it'll go to seven. and if you take this mavs team to 7 you're a title contender.

wildbill2u
04-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Our drive down the stretch of tough games, especially without Tony, may have been the catalyst for this team to gel.
The potential was there all year.

Flux451
04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
I believe Spurs can do it because Pop is finally coaching how he should of all year. He isn't afraid to play different bench players or pull players not doin well.

Temple is a blessing in disguise. Spurs needed a third PG/SG, although not a true PG, he has the skills to pull it off. I hope he takes Mason's mins to be honest, he has def proved to be on top of his game moreso. Better D and hitting consistent shots.

Mahimi should get PT over Bonner if Bonner isn't hitting anything. Especially, with there wanna be towers Haywood and Dampier. They will crush Bonner.

A lot of success rides on Hill's ankle. If he is healthy and back to 90% at least. We got this.

sefant77
04-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Beside Lakers-Thunder there is no potential "upset" in the west, teams are all too close together.

The_Worlds_finest
04-18-2010, 10:49 AM

I agree, I believe if Spurs beat Mavs book them in their Fifth finals

SenorSpur
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM

My belief is that it depends on the first game. Spurs win the first game tomorrow, it goes 6. If we win the second game, it may go 7. If we lose both games in Dallas... its over in 6 going to the mavs.

The first game is crucial for the Spurs in my opinion.

Very crucial indeed. We've all heard, and will be reminded again, about that statistic where "the team that wins Game 1 of a playoff series, usually wins the series, about 808% of the time".

If the Spurs are to win this series, I believe they will need to win Game 1.