PDA

View Full Version : Buying used games that have cd keys?

Shaolin-Style
04-18-2010, 06:42 PM
I want to get modern warfare 2 on the pc but I don't wanna pay a lot. I know.

So I found a deal on amazon for 25 bucks and the description says the cd key is unused although the box has been opened.

Should I go for it? As far as I know the cheapest non used price is around 35 bucks+shipping

BlackSwordsMan
04-18-2010, 08:34 PM
If the key has been used you just lost 25$ but I'm not sure how amazon handles false advertising. Try it and find out

duhoh
04-19-2010, 12:05 AM
that means that you have to trust the seller to provide you with the steam account that it's possibly linked to.

don't do it!!!!!

Shaolin-Style
04-19-2010, 09:54 AM
that means that you have to trust the seller to provide you with the steam account that it's possibly linked to.

don't do it!!!!!

Someone can get access to your entire steam account with one single cdkey?

Well the person who sold it has sold quite a few items and has a 97% positive rate, I don't know if they can get ahold of my steam account that's scary.

duhoh
04-19-2010, 09:12 PM
no no no, the game could have been possibly installed, which in this specific game, requires steam. you'd have to trust them to give you the account details if it's been installed, despite what the seller says.

Shaolin-Style
04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
oh no it said pretty plainly on the desc that the product key was unused although the box was opened.

which still sounds kinda off to me but I guess it wouldn't be too hard to dispute

duhoh
04-21-2010, 01:21 AM
better safe than sorry though, which was my original point. good luck finding a good deal though :tu

Chomag
04-21-2010, 01:57 PM
If it were me I would never trust anything other then a sealed brand new copy. That might just be me though it' just seems to much of a gamble to me.

Shaolin-Style
04-21-2010, 08:49 PM
I got it in the mail today and the key went into steam no problems, was unused like advertised.

Still made me nervous buying it but I did save some money