PDA

View Full Version : AJ learned more from Pop than Xs and Os.

Jimcs50
05-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Coach Avery Johnson was angry afterward about the focus of this series having been on Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy and his complaints about the calls against Yao.

"Maybe I need to go crazy," Johnson said. "Then you won't talk about Game 6, you will talk about the coach going crazy. [But] we lost the game. We don't make excuses. The game was called fairly."

Who does this sound like? Pop never makes excuses and now AJ is doing same.

Just another reason to respect the Little General.

:smokin

CosmicCowboy
05-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Avery was awesome in that interview. The contrast between him and Van Gundy was obvious to everyone in that room.

sa_butta
05-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I thought it was funny, I thought he was joking at first but it almost looked like he was a little angry. Funny to see the lil general taking over shit.

boutons
05-06-2005, 09:05 AM
"The game was called fairly"

Rockets blew out the Mavs in the 4th qtr.
AJ whining about the refs after that was simply not an option, so not whining doesn't merit much praise.

IIRC, AJ had to be restrained from going for a ref AFTER an earlier game in this series. Does that count as whining?

Jdspur20
05-06-2005, 09:39 AM
with out a doubt, aj learned more from pop than he did from nelson.

FromWayDowntown
05-06-2005, 09:44 AM
The point, I think, is that while other coaches will make excuses and cry for calls, even when there's no reason to justify those laments, AJ has taken the infrequently-travelled high road. As I listened to him last night, the link to Pop struck me immediately. If AJ had spoken with a raspy, baritone rather than that cajun drawl, I might have mistaken the two.

And boutons, there's a major difference between complaining directly to the officials about their calls (which all coaches, including Pop, do every night) and going to the media with your complaints. While Pop has had his share of run-ins and times when he needed to be restrained form going after officials on the floor, I don't recall that I've ever heard Pop tell the media that his team got shafted by calls -- something that I think, in the long run, actually helps the Spurs (both to be mentally tough and, in a back-handed way, to be respected by the league's officials). AJ seems to have taken that tack and I applaud it.

picnroll
05-06-2005, 09:50 AM
That interview was a riot it was las if they'd made this animated cartoon character with a Cajun accent doing a Pop impression.

Jimcs50
05-06-2005, 10:27 AM
The point, I think, is that while other coaches will make excuses and cry for calls, even when there's no reason to justify those laments, AJ has taken the infrequently-travelled high road. As I listened to him last night, the link to Pop struck me immediately. If AJ had spoken with a raspy, baritone rather than that cajun drawl, I might have mistaken the two.

And boutons, there's a major difference between complaining directly to the officials about their calls (which all coaches, including Pop, do every night) and going to the media with your complaints. While Pop has had his share of run-ins and times when he needed to be restrained form going after officials on the floor, I don't recall that I've ever heard Pop tell the media that his team got shafted by calls -- something that I think, in the long run, actually helps the Spurs (both to be mentally tough and, in a back-handed way, to be respected by the league's officials). AJ seems to have taken that tack and I applaud it.

boutons, are you always contrary?

From waydowntown is right, you are wrong.....again.