PDA

View Full Version : If I EVER see Matt Bonner guard Dirk again...

TDfan2007
04-18-2010, 11:44 PM
...and Tim is not in some kind of monumental foul trouble then I'll walk onto the court and tackle Pop (I'll be there for game 3).

All kidding aside Bonner shouldn't be getting minutes...let alone guarding Dirk. But if he's going to play then for shit sake put him on someone else.

Say what you want, but if it's the 3rd quarter and Tim has 1 or 2 fouls, I want him on Dirk. If not him, then obviously Dice. But it HAS to be one of those two. They have the length to bother Dirk on faceups and as long as they keep their hands up they should avoid fouls. We can still steal game 2 and win this series. I haven't seen anything to change my mind.

admiralsnackbar
04-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Bonner can't help it if he breathes on Dirk.

NewJerSpur
Bonner and McDyess are going to keep rotating on Dirk.

sefant77
I want that too!!!

So Duncan is benched with foul trouble and Pop has to go back to Bonner/Bogans

http://republicans.energycommerce.house.gov/Media/Image/MrBurns.jpg

The Cougar
If I EVER see Matt Bonner guard Dirk again...
there will be a foul called on you for looking at Dirk

badfish22
04-18-2010, 11:49 PM
lol I'm loving the crying spurfan.

ffadicted
04-18-2010, 11:51 PM
I loved Dice's D on dirk tonight, there was not much else he could've done

vander
04-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Bonner did pretty well against Dirk, OP doesn't know what he's looking at when watching basketball... :wakeup

EricB
04-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Bonner did darn good against him. He'll forced him in the first half into a couple bad possesions. If bonner didn't choke so bad on shots he'd be great.

TDfan2007
04-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Bonner did darn good against him. He'll forced him in the first half into a couple bad possesions. If bonner didn't choke so bad on shots he'd be great.

WRONG. He's playing a shooter and yet he allows Dirk space for face-up jumpers. Those are like layups for Dirk. Dice played fantastic defense on Dirk. Bonner gives Dirk far too much space and if you notice puts BOTH forearms on Dirk when Dirk posts him up (an automatic foul if the ref sees it). Bonner plays D with the basketball IQ of a peanut and it's painful to watch.

TDfan2007
04-18-2010, 11:58 PM
I want that too!!!

So Duncan is benched with foul trouble and Pop has to go back to Bonner/Bogans

http://republicans.energycommerce.house.gov/Media/Image/MrBurns.jpg

Obviously if Tim starts picking up fouls then you switch... >_>

NewJerSpur
04-19-2010, 12:02 AM
WRONG. He's playing a shooter and yet he allows Dirk space for face-up jumpers. Those are like layups for Dirk. Dice played fantastic defense on Dirk. Bonner gives Dirk far too much space and if you notice puts BOTH forearms on Dirk when Dirk posts him up (an automatic foul if the ref sees it). Bonner plays D with the basketball IQ of a peanut and it's painful to watch.

He's quick enough and has the footwork to stay in front of Dirk and also doesn't go for the headfakes, but I feel for him out there....if you body up on the guy, THAT is an automatic FT. I will agree that leaning on him in the post is bad strategy by Matt, but post defense isn't his strong suit. He's better off the dribble.

JMitchMFFL
04-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Face it guys. You aren't going to stop Dirk he is on a mission this year.

Your only hope is to double triple and make someone else beat you, which tonight other than Caron I'm not sure anybody else could have done.

It's the same as we have no answer for Tim. Parker looked good but didn't look AS quick as usual.

That might have been the best game I've ever seen Dirk play. Top 3 for sure.

NFGIII
04-19-2010, 12:04 AM
It wasn't Bonner or Dice but Dirk tonight. He was incredible. Some of those shots nobody could defend. He was falling away from Dice on one shot and just threw it up and it went in. I was laughing when Dirk wanted the foul called. Dice played very good D and didn't foul - Dirk was in jail and tried to get a call but instead got the bucket.

Anyway I don't want TD guarding Dirk at all. Bad matchup for us.

As for Bonner shots tonight a couple of them went in and then out. He wasn't as horrible that some might think.

EricB
04-19-2010, 12:04 AM

Rewatch. Bonner is close up on him as the rules allow.
Is mcdyess a better defender? Of course, but bonners not some 12th man slouch like you love to think with your grade school pontifications.

NewJerSpur
04-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Face it guys. You aren't going to stop Dirk he is on a mission this year.

Your only hope is to double triple and make someone else beat you, which tonight other than Caron I'm not sure anybody else could have done.

It's the same as we have no answer for Tim. Parker looked good but didn't look AS quick as usual.

That might have been the best game I've ever seen Dirk play. Top 3 for sure.

Dirk had a hell of a night from the field, but the Mavs are being ALLOWED to try and stop Timmy, the Spurs aren't receiving that same courtesy so far.

sefant77
04-19-2010, 12:07 AM
It wasn't Bonner or Dice but Dirk tonight. He was incredible. Some of those shots nobody could defend. He was falling away from Dice on one shot and just threw it up and it went in. I was laughing when Dirk wanted the foul called. Dice played very good D and didn't foul - Dirk was in jail and tried to get a call but instead got the bucket.

Dice did foul but they didnt call it. Mostly he rammed his ellbow into Dirks back when Dirk got the ball pushing him a little bit offbalance. At least he isnt stupid like Bonner and use both arms all the time but he couldnt complain about a foul call with such an initial contact in the back...

m33p0
04-19-2010, 12:11 AM
how do you cover a 7-foot jump shooter who keeps the ball above his head and loves to shoot fadeaways? unless you're a 20 foot tent, that can't be done. all you can do is make it difficult.

BanditHiro
04-19-2010, 12:12 AM
how do you cover a 7-foot jump shooter who keeps the ball above his head and loves to shoot fadeaways? unless you're a 20 foot tent, that can't be done. all you can do is make it difficult.

but then they will call a foul

blkroadrunners
04-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Typical. Matt Bonner's always the scapegoat.

m33p0
04-19-2010, 12:14 AM
but then they will call a foul
MC Hammer.:king

EricB
04-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Dice did foul but they didnt call it. Mostly he rammed his ellbow into Dirks back when Dirk got the ball pushing him a little bit offbalance. At least he isnt stupid like Bonner and use both arms all the time but he couldnt complain about a foul call with such an initial contact in the back...

:lol Dirk gets 12 ft's never goes for a layup and mav fan bitches about mcdyess's d. Hilarious...

dude1394
04-19-2010, 12:20 AM
It's true...if you look at dirk crosswise you get called for a foul....as it should be..don't do that unless you want him to keep scoring on you.

TDfan2007
04-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Rewatch. Bonner is close up on him as the rules allow.
Is mcdyess a better defender? Of course, but bonners not some 12th man slouch like you love to think with your grade school pontifications.

Rewatched. Bonner doesn't use his hands/arms properly. He's also (not his fault) not long enough. Tim and Dice are. I've seen Tim guard Dirk before and do so effectively for the same reason Dice is effective, length and good use of the hands.

I agree that the refs make guarding Dirk hard, but we can definitely do better than tonight.

vander
04-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Rewatched. Bonner doesn't use his hands/arms properly. He's also (not his fault) not long enough. Tim and Dice are. I've seen Tim guard Dirk before and do so effectively for the same reason Dice is effective, length and good use of the hands.

I agree that the refs make guarding Dirk hard, but we can definitely do better than tonight.

so Dyess IS long enough? then how come Dirk was able to score all over him?

Cant_Be_Faded
04-19-2010, 12:28 AM
I did not mind Bonner on Dirk tonight. Also I'm liking Bonner's tough attitude, at least he has that going. If he hits half of his threes tonight I'm actually saying hes our best player outside the big 3.

But he choked again and it sucks.

Udokafan05
04-19-2010, 12:30 AM
I thought Bonner played him well in the 4th, and the spurs cut it to 5. Dice came back in to guard him, and Dallas made a run.

sabar
04-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Like anyone was able to guard Dirk. He scores at will against anyone, it doesn't matter who you put on him. The Spurs have had this problem for 4 years now and it isn't changing in the near future. Might as well just leave him open and accomplish the same thing.

There is no Dirk stopper.

TDMVPDPOY
04-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Like anyone was able to guard Dirk. He scores at will against anyone, it doesn't matter who you put on him. The Spurs have had this problem for 4 years now and it isn't changing in the near future. Might as well just leave him open and accomplish the same thing.

There is no Dirk stopper.

there is, his playin on the bobcats jax

badfish22
04-19-2010, 12:40 AM
there is, his playin on the bobcats jax

Jax of years ago. Dirk scored 36 on Jax earlier this year.

Jax could stop Dirk easier before when Dirk wasn't a great passer out of double teams.

mogrovejo
04-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Bonner wasn't smart and disciplined enough. Too many hands flying around Dirk. Be aggressive with your legs and hips. But I agree the Spurs don't have anyone able to make things consistently difficult for Dirk 1on1. Just hope he misses or send early help.

vander
04-19-2010, 12:43 AM
there will be a foul called on you for looking at Dirk

:lol :toast

Borosai
04-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Bonner's just setting the table. Wait 'til you see the menu.

MB3//
04-19-2010, 01:41 AM
I was pleased with Bonner's effort on dirk tonight. I think Bonner should try to get in his head a little more. Dirk really got irritated when Bonner bodied him up that onetime after the foul call. Bonner didn't have the best shooting night, but he did look a lot better than last years series IMO. It seemed to me we didn't have our usual spacing, and he was having to rush his 3's a little more.

Dirk is going to get his points in this series. I hope we employ the same strategy on him as we did tonight.
What can't keep happening is Butler SEVERELY outplaying Jefferson. Outside of Ginobili, our wing rotation is really lacking some sac right now.

CubanSucks
04-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Bonner wasn't doing a bad job on Dirk. The guy wasn't gonna miss tonight unless #12 came on the court. If anything, Bonner got under dirk's skin a little but as far as defending, there wasn't anyone else who did better

Phallusy
04-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Boner made a good effort

UnWantedTheory
04-19-2010, 02:14 AM
Some also put forth good effort into boners, it doesnt mean the end result was working for them.