PDA

View Full Version : Game 2 Predictions

Supergirl
04-19-2010, 12:06 AM
More specifically, how should the Spurs cover Dirk in Game 2? You know there will be some adjustments...

The Cougar
04-19-2010, 12:08 AM
we won't know what adjustments to foresee till the refs are announced *cough*joey crawford*cough*

NewJerSpur
04-19-2010, 12:10 AM
we won't know what adjustments to foresee till the refs are announced *cough*joey crawford*cough*

:lol

m33p0
04-19-2010, 12:12 AM
make him cough up the ball and let someone else shoot it.

Amarelooms
04-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Dirk is a great player....should focus on stopping others....Spurs can't guard him. Might as well let Dirk go for 40 and contain Kidd's 3's, Terry and Butler

:elephant

Supergirl
04-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Spurs should focus on stopping Butler. Kidd they can manage 1:1, Dirk will need double teams to make him work.

I do think some Bogans will be necessary.

DBMethos
04-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Dirk is a great player....should focus on stopping others....Spurs can't guard him. Might as well let Dirk go for 40 and contain Kidd's 3's, Terry and Butler

I agree with the Pink Elephant.

TJastal
04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
I'd like to see the spurs start off the game with hard doubles every time Dirk touches the ball just to see if anyone else is going to step up to the plate and go from there. Maybe keep him from finding his rhthym early too.

TDomination
04-19-2010, 08:59 AM
I think double teams can work, depending on where it comes from.

When Dirk was on the right side against Bonner, the spacing for the Mavericks was excellent. Bonner was basically on an island by himself.

I think the Spurs need to front Dirk, and if they are able to lob the ball over the defender, he won't feel comfortable taking the jumpshot with a defender right behind him. its blockable with his shooting motion. And if tries to drive, Duncan or whoever is guarding the paint, needs to rotate well before Dirk gets to the basket.

I think Bogans fronted Dirk, but he's too short

timvpimp
04-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Spurs should focus on stopping Butler. Kidd they can manage 1:1, Dirk will need double teams to make him work.

I do think some Bogans will be necessary.
double team doesn't work on dirk. If you press too hard on him, the refs step in and put their whistles in mouths.

TJastal
04-19-2010, 09:15 AM
I think double teams can work, depending on where it comes from.

When Dirk was on the right side against Bonner, the spacing for the Mavericks was excellent. Bonner was basically on an island by himself.

I think the Spurs need to front Dirk, and if they are able to lob the ball over the defender, he won't feel comfortable taking the jumpshot with a defender right behind him. its blockable with his shooting motion. And if tries to drive, Duncan or whoever is guarding the paint, needs to rotate well before Dirk gets to the basket.

I think Bogans fronted Dirk, but he's too short

Good ideas here, .. and I agree on Bogans... if they tried that it would mean the spurs playing small ball and Dallas' towers (Damp/Haywood) have a field day in the paint

admiralsnackbar
04-19-2010, 09:43 AM

This. I think Dice/Bonner/etc needs to cover him straight-up, stay in his face without making contact, keep his arms up, and not leave the ground on Dirk's pump-fakes. Can't just send somebody that good to the line over and over.

Beyond that, the best we can do is contain the rest of the players. If somebody is moving towards the basket, our bigs needs to rotate to cover them and protect the paint, even if this frees up Dirk. The only place Dirk needs to be contested physically is under the basket.

I noticed Caron Butler makes really stupid decisions when he gets doubled -- especially down low. He overestimates his ability to make shots and fails to kick out when he's contested. We need to capitalize on that and force turnovers.

Whoever is on Kidd can't leave him alone at the top of the arc ever. He's just gotten too dependably sharp out there.

The rest seems like it could be covered in in-game adjustments... I don't think we're decisively out-matched just yet.

Shank
04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Pray.

timvpimp
04-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Ryan Bowen is the only guy I've known who can extinguish Dirk on his own power, but the Spurs don't even have someone of a similar style. You don't need much muscle to defend Dirk, Dirk isn't Karl Malone and he's skinny as everyone, but you must be able to match both his size and pace to neuter him. Ryan Bowen once played SF in his early career so it was sheer easy for him to catch up with Dirk's paces. If Bruce was still playing I would see him a better fetter than anyone else Spurs can use, even though his size doesn't seem too good.

clambake
04-19-2010, 09:55 AM
no question about it, duncan should guard dirk straight up.

timvpimp
04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
I decree Duncan will beast out in game 2 and the result will pretty much depend on if the Mavs can restrain him well. Spurs have no answer to Dirk on their end of court, nor do the Mavs to Duncan on ours. The best they can do is trying their best to restrain Dirk and praying he misses those fadeaway shots.

m33p0
04-19-2010, 10:27 AM
I decree Duncan will beast out in game 2 and the result will pretty much depend on if the Mavs can restrain him well. Spurs have no answer to Dirk on their end of court, nor do the Mavs to Duncan on ours. The best they can do is trying their best to restrain Dirk and praying he misses those fadeaway shots.
they do have an answer to Duncan... 2 centers. not that they could stop Timmy but they make him work for every point.

scottspurs
04-19-2010, 10:51 AM
A mixture of double teams and letting Dirk get his/shutting everyone else down.

If we are going to go 1 on 1 the only two players who should be guarding Dirk should be Duncan or Dice.

Matt Bonner should just stay on offense and sit around the three line because he is bringing nothing defensively.

nkdlunch
04-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Bogans or RJ will start on him.

leemajors
04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Pain

Supergirl
04-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Still only one person thinks we should being in Bogan...

MAZTEXAS
04-19-2010, 05:45 PM