PDA

View Full Version : Pop "I thought we had a lot of guys that played like dogs" and hill out for game 2

SinBAD
04-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Simply put, the San Antonio Spurs had no answer for Dirk Nowitzki tonight. You can sum up the entire game with that one simple concept. Sure, the Mavs forced 17 turnovers and scored 20 points off of them; yes, the Mavs out-rebounded the Spurs 45-37; but ultimately it came down to Dirk Nowitzki dominating everyone Gregg Popovich ran at him.

"There aren't many nights when Dirk is not special," said Popovich. "He was special tonight, but he had a lot of help. A lot of other guys played really well. Butler killed us and both big guys were really good on the boards defensively. Jason [Kidd] was a gnat. He was a focused, driven individual, as usual. They had a lot of people play well. They played sharper than we did."

Pop's ultimate answer to stop Dirk was to intentionally foul Erick Dampier away from the ball, but Damp his four of his six free throws on three consecutive plays and the Mavs were then in the penalty for the rest of the period. Dirk was the next one to draw a foul and he dropped both en route to a 36-point night (12-14FG, 12-12FT).

I'm sure it must have crossed Pop's mind more than once that perhaps he should get Bruce Bowen on the phone.

Dirk said he expected nothing less from Pop, who is a lot like Nellie in that he'll try just about anything to try and get inside the head of his opponents or gain some slight advantage.

The Spurs largely chalked this loss up to being sloppy. Popovich was clearly put out with his team's effort across the board, especially with regard to the turnovers and rebound discrepancy.

"I felt the first half was just a killer," said Popovich. "Half their points, 27 points off boards, putbacks and turnovers. That's just a sloppy game. There's no reason for that, so I was very disappointed in us not being very sharp. I think we've got to have a few more people step up and play worth a damn. I thought we had a lot of guys that played like dogs."

The Mavericks were anything but satisfied with the win. One win is important, but it takes three more to advance. It's not a good strategy to bet on Dirk hitting 12-14 and scoring 36, though he might average 30 for the series. They still allowed the Spurs to shoot 50% from the field and they had a hard time with the Spurs' big three.

Still, there were plenty of positives . . .among them Jason Kidd's phenomenal play. He had a great stat line, but that doesn't show how incredibly tough he was in stopping the Spurs' relentless pick-and-roll offense.

"Kidd played great," said Carlisle. "He was sensational in really all areas. In the second half he gave us a spark defensively—on Ginobili and when he was guarding their point guards. He's been great all year and it's no surprise that he carried it into tonight.

The Spurs have been very good at stopping Jason Terry, and tonight was no different. Still, he was able to impact the game with his passing and a timely three with 1:55 left in the game that iced the win for Dallas.

The difference between last year and this year is that the Spurs can't do as much double-teaming around Dirk. Caron Butler becomes the X-factor in that scenario, because unlike Jet he's not going to be deterred from attacking the rim. If he's open, it's going to cause problems, and he had a great deal of success tonight even when a defender was in his face. He was the second-leading scorer for Dallas with 22 points.

George Hill gave it a good effort in the first half, but was obviously still hurting on his bad ankle. Popovich said it's unlikely Hill will play in Game 2 barring a great deal of healing between now and Wednesday.

An exciting Game 1 is in the books, with the home team defending their court. Game 2 is Wednesday night.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Blogs/CourtsideBlog.asp?GAME_ID=55459&LEAGUE_CODE=NBA#ixzz0lWHg5jWG

If we are to win Game 2 it will be without Hill and RJ has to step up.expect Temple and no more dogs.

The Cougar
04-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Pop's ultimate answer to stop Dirk was to intentionally foul Erick Dampier away from the ball, but Damp his four of his six free throws on three consecutive plays and the Mavs were then in the penalty for the rest of the period.

the mavs were already in the penalty, if not for that fouling Damp would have done nothing

crc21209
04-19-2010, 12:15 AM
They don't play again till Wednesday...Hill will be fine.

crc21209
04-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Plus there is no actual quote from Pop in that article on George and George himself didnt say anything about not playing on Wednesday...

TD 21
04-19-2010, 12:21 AM
If Hill can't not only play but play effectively, this series is over. Parker is clearly not fully in rhythm and the Spurs just don't have another credible guard on the roster. Minus the turnovers, scoring wise the big three did their job and did so efficiently, yet even though it was relatively close throughout, I never got the sense that the Spurs were really in this game or that they were controlling it.

z0sa
04-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Plus there is no actual quote from Pop in that article on George and George himself didnt say anything about not playing on Wednesday...

It's an indirect quotation. Pop actually said that.

crc21209
04-19-2010, 12:25 AM

Hmm...I still don't see how Pop could make that assumption right now when George will have 2 full days of rest which will help tremendously...I think he will still end up playing..

SenorSpur
04-19-2010, 12:37 AM
If Hill can't not only play but play effectively, this series is over. Parker is clearly not fully in rhythm and the Spurs just don't have another credible guard on the roster. Minus the turnovers, scoring wise the big three did their job and did so efficiently, yet even though it was relatively close throughout, I never got the sense that the Spurs were really in this game or that they were controlling it.

Agree on Hill. If he is indeed still hurting and cannot go, this series is way over.

Still, as crazy as this may sound, I'd rather see Garrett Temple "cut his teeth" as the starting PG. I'd much rather see him in that role rather than see another minute of Mason laboring to dribble around screens with his poor handle and seeing him brick any more quick 3s.

crc21209
04-19-2010, 12:40 AM
I bet Hill still plays...the kid is young and will have 2 full days of rest off that ankle..

itzsoweezee
04-19-2010, 12:48 AM
It's amazing how this training staff is so consistently wrong so often.

tmtcsc
04-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Masonry needs to find the bench. He's awful. But hey, look at the bright side..his hair looked cute didn't it ? He's got that going for him. Pfft :rolleyes

jjktkk
04-19-2010, 01:09 AM
agree on hill. If he is indeed still hurting and cannot go, this series is way over.

Still, as crazy as this may sound, i'd rather see garrett temple "cut his teeth" as the starting pg. I'd much rather see him in that role rather than see another minute of mason laboring to dribble around screens with his poor handle and seeing him brick any more quick 3s.

+1

mingus
04-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Roger Mason is just bad. i'm not even going to bad mouth him any more because he doesn't deserve it. it's not like he's underperforming - he just sucks. he's in a situation where he can't realistically expect to succeed. so why should we continue to project such preposterously high expections on him? i wish him the a great year next playing for a Chinese team i've never heard of.

MB3//
04-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Ok, seriously. What the heck was up with Mason's hair? So that's your cool playoff look? I got pissed off everytime he was on the screen, even when we were up! If Hill is indeed out in Game 2, I pray we give Temple some burn. He seems like a pretty good matchup for Terry/Barea.

TD 21
04-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Maybe I'm speaking on emotion and am overreacting to the one loss, but maybe this team's talent level is flat out overrated. They just look so over matched against so many teams. Particularly anyone with quality size, long wing players or forwards.

People can act like this was close all they want, but did anyone ever get the feeling, even when they briefly took the lead and were tied, that the Spurs were really in this game or in control of it? I didn't. It may as well have been a blowout because virtually everything was a struggle for the Spurs and it all looked so easy for the Mavs. And the Mavs aren't even that good. Spurs fans overrate them because the Spurs are ill-equipped to guard them and have been for some time, so they look like world beaters against the Spurs.

If this team is going to get back to being championship caliber again in the Duncan era, it's going to take more than tweaks. Yes, the individual talent, on paper, makes it seem as if they are close. But in reality, when they've all been healthy, this team has been a certified mess the vast majority of the time. The talent just doesn't fit together. You can make excuses (or, as some would call them, reasons) for this. We all know them and I'm not going to bother reciting them, but at the end of the day, they've had enough time together and it's not rocket science. This team isn't running a complicated, nuanced system like the Princeton or the triangle, they have mostly a two play offense. This is not about "learning the system", they just flat out don't fit together. No matter what the lineup is, there's almost always an issue or something they're lacking in it. It's a mess.

I hate to say it (and I'm not going to change my prediction), but deep down, I agree with mingus, in that we could see a similar series to last season.

SenorSpur
04-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Maybe I'm speaking on emotion and am overreacting to the one loss, but maybe this team's talent level is flat out overrated. They just look so over matched against so many teams. Particularly anyone with quality size, long wing players or forwards.

I'm not sure how overrated the talent level is, however I do know that this team achieved a certain level of mediocrity this season. And it doesn't matter much about injuries and chemistry. I've just felt all along that this team had declined to a level where they weren't bad enough to miss the playoffs, but they were not good enough to make a deep playoff run either.

The issue with the lack of size and length is very disconcerting because, as I said in another thread, it's not like Dirk just emerged as a superstar player. He's been a bad matchup for this team for several years. Factor in the length that the Fakers and Blazers have and it's quite mind-boggling why the FO hasn't properly addressed this roster deficiency. Meanwhile, Pop insists on going into battle with an over-the-hill (McDyess) PF and a slow, inferior, 3-pointer shooter (Bonner), who both masquerade as 5's, in a smaller and slower frontline.

Dice
04-19-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm not sure how overrated the talent level is, however I do know that this team achieved a certain level of mediocrity this season. And it doesn't matter much about injuries and chemistry. I've just felt all along that this team had declined to a level where they weren't bad enough to miss the playoffs, but they were not good enough to make a deep playoff run either.

The issue with the lack of size and length is very disconcerting because, as I said in another thread, it's not like Dirk just emerged as a superstar player. He's been a bad matchup for this team for several years. Factor in the length that the Fakers and Blazers have and it's quite mind-boggling why the FO hasn't properly addressed this roster deficiency. Meanwhile, Pop insists on going into battle with an over-the-hill (McDyess) PF and a slow, inferior, 3-pointer shooter (Bonner), who both masquerade as 5's, in a smaller and slower frontline.

McDyess has been playing the 5 since he got back from his last knee injury. I get tired of hearing how slow he is when he's the one guarding the other teams PF every game. Why is our "center" guarding a power forward? Try putting Dwight Howard on Dirk and see how that works out.

El Parche
04-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Dirk will get his...remember Armare going off on us dunk after dunk? Just put a warm body on him and don't go for the fake...and put a hand up when he fades. If Hill goes Wed I'd like to see him try a little Dirk duty. As long as everyone else is held relatively in check and our bench does something (anything!) the Spurs win game 2!

dbestpro
04-19-2010, 08:41 AM
It is hard for RJ or anyone else to step up when they never see the ball. Any impact will have to be made without the ball. When TP and Timmy were on the floor it was 2 on 5. Even if 2 on 5 was effective, players lose focus in other parts of the game if they never touch the ball. A little more team ball will also help reduce the turnovers.

spursdotcom
04-19-2010, 08:58 AM

I am not aware of Pop saying that after the game. I'm not saying he didn't, but I did not hear it if he did.

TJastal
04-19-2010, 09:02 AM

+1

Without a 100% George Hill....

The spurs will have 2 games this series where the role players (Bonner, Mason, Bogans, etc) all have good games and carry the spurs to victory. And that's assuming they still get good production from the big 3. Unfortunately 2 games doesn't win a series.

:depressed

TJastal
04-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Dirk will get his...remember Armare going off on us dunk after dunk? Just put a warm body on him and don't go for the fake...and put a hand up when he fades. If Hill goes Wed I'd like to see him try a little Dirk duty. As long as everyone else is held relatively in check and our bench does something (anything!) the Spurs win game 2!

Hill's a great defender on bigger players (Durant) but trying to guard 7'1" Dirk with a bum ankle would almost be a surefire disaster.

exstatic
04-19-2010, 09:11 AM
I bet Hill still plays...the kid is young and will have 2 full days of rest off that ankle..

He had four days rest from the time he tweaked it Wed to Sunday's tip-off. That didn't seem to do much good.

TJastal
04-19-2010, 09:22 AM
He had four days rest from the time he tweaked it Wed to Sunday's tip-off. That didn't seem to do much good.

Well considering the fact that he re-aggravated the same injury, 4 days is not nearly enough rest.

And now, instead of resting, he played another 18 minutes on it last night so whatever healed in those 4 days just got shredded .. so now your probably looking at no 100% George Hill till the 2nd round at least

Obstructed_View
04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
When you put dogs into the game, why would you be surprised when they play like dogs?

crc21209
04-19-2010, 03:58 PM

I don't think the ankle was bothering him really, I think it was more George being hesitant to drive or do anything that would put him at risk of re-injuring that ankle...that's what I saw out there. If you read on mysa.com's article, (since we cant post them here) he said his ankle felt fine...

scottspurs
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Who ever said George was out Game 2?

If he is we have Garret Temple, its not like the spurs don't have options. Temple has proven he can beat Kidd off the dribble and it can only help hill to sit out a game and get that ankle as well as possible before game 3. This is a seven game series after all.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Putting in Temple isn't going to fix the Spurs' turnover problems.

crc21209
04-19-2010, 04:06 PM
The OP claimed Pop said George is out for Game 2...which is pretty damn false..:lol

scottspurs
04-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Putting in Temple isn't going to fix the Spurs' turnover problems.

I think Pop is going to drill it into the heads of this team over the next two days that they need to take care of the ball. If the spurs don't take care of the ball in game 2 the spurs might be in trouble. That and rebounding is priority number 1 and 1a even more important than stopping dirk.

rjv
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
hard to use a role player as an excuse but against the mavs we need to have everyone healthy and if hill is not there we miss out on some defense, shorten the bench and surrender about 12 to 15 points.

Dex
04-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Who ever said George was out Game 2?

If he is we have Garret Temple, its not like the spurs don't have options. Temple has proven he can beat Kidd off the dribble and it can only help hill to sit out a game and get that ankle as well as possible before game 3. This is a seven game series after all.

Popovich said it's unlikely Hill will play in Game 2 barring a great deal of healing between now and Wednesday.

Then again, this could be just like when Hill was "questionable" for Game 1. But I don't think Pops trying to shade tactics this time.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I think Pop is going to drill it into the heads of this team over the next two days that they need to take care of the ball. If the spurs don't take care of the ball in game 2 the spurs might be in trouble. That and rebounding is priority number 1 and 1a even more important than stopping dirk.

Well the Mavs did an excellent job of getting deflections last year, which led to a number of breaks. The Spurs don't seem to be any better at dealing with it this year. If that's going to be the case going forward, then it's impertaive that they minimize the damage and stop dribbling the ball off their own feet and flubbing passes that hit them in the hands.

Doe
04-19-2010, 05:13 PM
In addition to O_V's point this Spurs team has been sloppy with the ball all season. I'm sure Pop's been drilling it into their heads, but it's not getting through. We can hope that Duncan doesn't have anymore unforced turnovers and perhaps Manu adjusts to the way they're playing his passes. RJ didn't have too many turnovers and I don't remember his, but I'd be willing to bet they were just due to him being a stupid/unfocused ball player so we can probably count on those next time as well.

DubMcDub
04-19-2010, 05:15 PM

I love internet doctors.

duncan228
04-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Mavericks react to Popovich: After the Mavericks beat the Spurs on Sunday, a frustrated Popovich said, “We had a lot of guys who played like dogs.”

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said he wasn’t surprised by Popovich’s statement.

“Pop will say anything at anytime,” Carlisle said. “He knows his team and he has his way of motivating those guys, so that’s how he does it.”

Nowitzki said that “it is what it is.”

“The coach has the right to call his players out,” Nowitzki said. “Nellie was never afraid of it, to call us out back in the day. I’m sure they’ll respond like they always do and they’ll give us a great run on Wednesday.”

- Brandon George / The Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042010dnspomavslede.263b4b8aa.html

ohmwrecker
04-19-2010, 08:05 PM
When you put dogs into the game, why would you be surprised when they play like dogs?
Tim, Manu and Tony can't play 48 minutes so, what other option is there?

Shastafarian
04-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Instead of using the left over fecal matter that is small ball, he should have played Dice and Blair more minutes to match up with the size of the other team.

Dice + Blair = 31 minutes

Bogans + Mason + Bonner = 44 minutes

I really can't understand why Dice didn't play more than 23 minutes.

manu the best
04-19-2010, 08:35 PM
dogs= Jefferson, mason, bogans, bonner ..

Sobe_Kucks
04-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Instead of using the left over fecal matter that is small ball, he should have played Dice and Blair more minutes to match up with the size of the other team.

:tu

Ice009
04-19-2010, 09:13 PM

I was yelling in the game thread about Dice not playing much.

I said WTF is this Pop? This is NOT the regular season, surely Dice can play more minutes in the playoffs. I mean he could probably play 35 plus minutes. Freaking stupid coaching.

DesignatedT
04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Definitely want more Dice. Although he needs to learn not to bite for the damn pump fake every single time.

spursfaninla
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM

People can act like this was close all they want, but did anyone ever get the feeling, even when they briefly took the lead and were tied, that the Spurs were really in this game or in control of it? I didn't. It may as well have been a blowout because virtually everything was a struggle for the Spurs and it all looked so easy for the Mavs. And the Mavs aren't even that good. Spurs fans overrate them because the Spurs are ill-equipped to guard them and have been for some time, so they look like world beaters against the Spurs.

If this team is going to get back to being championship caliber again in the Duncan era, it's going to take more than tweaks. Yes, the individual talent, on paper, makes it seem as if they are close. But in reality, when they've all been healthy, this team has been a certified mess the vast majority of the time. The talent just doesn't fit together. You can make excuses (or, as some would call them, reasons) for this. We all know them and I'm not going to bother reciting them, but at the end of the day, they've had enough time together and it's not rocket science. This team isn't running a complicated, nuanced system like the Princeton or the triangle, they have mostly a two play offense. This is not about "learning the system", they just flat out don't fit together. No matter what the lineup is, there's almost always an issue or something they're lacking in it. It's a mess.

I hate to say it (and I'm not going to change my prediction), but deep down, I agree with mingus, in that we could see a similar series to last season.

We did not seem out-classed talent-wise when Hill was not injured and manu was playing well for most of the last month against the best teams in the league; then, our "dogs" were just fine. It does not have to do with talent. Mason and Bonner have mental blocks. Hill and parker are not 100%. unless those two are healthy, we are done. End of story.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
no more massooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn please pop

no more

Obstructed_View
04-19-2010, 10:22 PM

Developing young players over the course of the season and not trading away a quality veteran center would have been a nice option. In fact, simply keeping the rotations the way they were when the Spurs played well at the end of the season would have been nice. When Bogans and Bonner are the first two guys off the bench, is it really any surprise that the results are similar to when they were the first off the bench earlier in the season?

crc21209
04-20-2010, 12:44 AM
I love internet doctors.

I love hopeless fans of teams who have never won a damn thing...

DubMcDub
04-20-2010, 12:59 AM
I love hopeless fans of teams who have never won a damn thing...

Cool (irrelevant) story, bro.

TD 21
04-20-2010, 01:11 AM
We did not seem out-classed talent-wise when Hill was not injured and manu was playing well for most of the last month against the best teams in the league; then, our "dogs" were just fine. It does not have to do with talent. Mason and Bonner have mental blocks. Hill and parker are not 100%. unless those two are healthy, we are done. End of story.

Those games were one offs. I agree with the part in bold, but I still say not only does the talent not fit together, but maybe it's overrated.

Completely agree. It's actually inexplicable that they haven't addressed this issue, because it's been around since '06. Year by year, it's become more and more glaring as Duncan got older and older and they continued to surround him with smaller and smaller players. For the record, Blair is the one masquerading as a five. The other two are fours. Just because in the box score the Spurs list McDyess (and when he starts, Bonner) as a five doesn't mean they're fives. They don't perform the functions of a five and guard fours.

The '06 Mavs series changed the Spurs for the worse. After that, even though they had repeatedly won with it for years, size no longer became a priority. The Spurs completely overreacted to that series. I could see if the Mavs had owned them and beaten them relentlessly like the Spurs did the Suns, but to lose one series in game seven of overtime and then to alter your approach to the way you build your team? It made no sense.

crc21209
04-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Cool (irrelevant) story, bro.

Go along and get to sleep.. it's past your bedtime little kid..:lol

hitmanyr2k
04-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Well the Mavs did an excellent job of getting deflections last year, which led to a number of breaks. The Spurs don't seem to be any better at dealing with it this year. If that's going to be the case going forward, then it's impertaive that they minimize the damage and stop dribbling the ball off their own feet and flubbing passes that hit them in the hands.

Popovich can drill his team all he wants. The fact is the Spurs have become as predictable as sun in the Sahara. Defenders sit on their passes because they've seen this shit before time and time again and there are no wrinkles to the offense. These days it's one guy dribbling while everyone else is stagnant. When Ginobili has the ball guys don't move. Same fuckin screen and roll over and over. If Ginobili doesn't try to score the defender is waiting on that pass because they've seen it a million times before. Either Ginobili has to make a perfect pass or that ball is getting deflected or stolen. When Parker has the ball nobody moves. When Duncan has the ball nobody moves.

There was a time when the Spurs had motion in their offense. Everyone moved. Guys made back cuts to the rim. Even Ginobili and Parker used to work together :lol There was a play I haven't seen in AGES where Parker used to run baseline and then fake like he was going to come up the middle of the lane and instead would make a quick back cut to the rim where Ginobili would hit him with a perfect pass for a layup. They don't do that shit anymore. I remember Oberto used to make back cuts to the rim and Duncan or Ginobili would find him for an easy two. Movement and back cuts are a lost art in the Spurs offense.

The Mavs in Game 1 looked like the Spurs from '07. Every damn player on that court was moving and cutting to the rim. There was nothing stagnant about them. Marion was cutting. Butler was cutting. Jason Terry said fuck it and got in on the act late in the 4th cutting to the rim for an easy layup. If the Spurs don't get any movement in their offense and just depend on the same old shit they're done.

siraulo23
04-20-2010, 02:09 AM
no more massooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn please pop

no more

I stopped watching the game when the mavs had a double digit lead, spurs called a timeout, and saw mason kept in the game

spurspf
04-20-2010, 08:39 AM
you know what this tells me? Tony, drive past his ass.

spursrocks
04-20-2010, 09:24 AM
those dogs need to step up if we are going to win game 2.
dog 1- Dick Dog- needs to be more aggressive, needs to rebound and drive more. he seems to be lost on the court and sometimes passive.
dog 2- Money Mase Doggie- he just plain sucks, we have nothing to lose by playing temple.
dog 3- The CenterDogShit Bogans- his just to short to guard dallas players
dog 4- Dog BoneNer- he just cant shoot during playoffs, is it mentality? lack of confidence? or he just suck like last year

Lebowski Brickowski
04-20-2010, 10:17 AM
There was a time when the Spurs had motion in their offense. Everyone moved. Guys made back cuts to the rim. Even Ginobili and Parker used to work together :lol There was a play I haven't seen in AGES where Parker used to run baseline and then fake like he was going to come up the middle of the lane and instead would make a quick back cut to the rim where Ginobili would hit him with a perfect pass for a layup. They don't do that shit anymore. I remember Oberto used to make back cuts to the rim and Duncan or Ginobili would find him for an easy two. Movement and back cuts are a lost art in the Spurs offense.

That's been gone since Brent Barry

Death In June
04-20-2010, 11:16 AM
dog 4- Dog BoneNer- he just cant shoot during playoffs, is it mentality? lack of confidence? or he just suck like last yearIs it really a playoffs thing? I can remember Bonner sucking tremendously in the regular season as well.

duncan228
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
...and hill out for game 2

Deja vu again: Hill gametime decision for Game 2 (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/04/deja-vu-again-h.html)

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/04/deja-vu-again-h.html

TJastal
04-20-2010, 02:20 PM
"It's still a little tender," Hill said. "I tried to give it a go Sunday, but it really wasn't all the way there. Hopefully, by Wednesday I'll be ready."

Thank god the calculating genius Popovich played him in that last meaningless game before his ankle was fully healed.... almost won that meaningless game too.

polandprzem
04-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Dogs should be in doghouse?

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Thank god the calculating genius Popovich played him in that last meaningless game before his ankle was fully healed.... almost won that meaningless game too.Didn't he play in the game before?

Yes or no.

Baseline
04-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Didn't he play in the game before?

Yes or no.

Yes, Hill did play in the game before the Dallas game, maybe for 18-20 minutes, but he was clearly not at 100%. It was evident that he could contribute, but just not at full capacity.

The point is that Manu was at or close to 100%, yet Pop rested him. Same with Duncan. Yet he played Hill, whose entire game is built on athleticism, on an ankle that was clearly not 100%.

No matter how you slice it, it wasn't smart to play a player as integral as Hill - on an ankle that is still healing - in a game in which you sit Tim and Manu - a game you do not intend to win.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Yes, Hill did play in the game before the Dallas game, maybe for 18-20 minutes, but he was clearly not at 100%. It was evident that he could contribute, but just not at full capacity.

The point is that Manu was at or close to 100%, yet Pop rested him. Same with Duncan. Yet he played Hill, whose entire game is built on athleticism, on an ankle that was clearly not 100%.

No matter how you slice it, it wasn't smart to play a player as integral as Hill - on an ankle that is still healing - in a game in which you sit Tim and Manu - a game you do not intend to win.Tony still isn't 100%. His game is based entirely on speed.

We shouldn't be playing him now.

Nice logic. :tu

MannyIsGod
04-20-2010, 02:55 PM
If you want NBA players to be 100% during the playoffs then you're going to see the Spurs start a bunch no nmaes.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Tony still isn't 100%. His game is based entirely on speed.

Chumpdumper grasping at straws to excuse bad coaching... as usual

Planar fascitis isn't the type of injury that has a high risk of re-injury and it doesn't heal without months of rest.

Hill otoh had a mild ankle sprain that takes at least a full week to heal completely. Heading into the playoffs Popovich should have just rested him in those last two games, esp considering he didn't even deem the last game important enough to use his best players.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Chumpdumper grasping at straws to excuse bad coaching... as usual

Planar fascitis isn't the type of injury that has a high risk of re-injury and it doesn't heal without months of rest.

Hill otoh had a mild ankle sprain that takes at least a full week to heal completely. Heading into the playoffs Popovich should have just rested him in those last two games, esp considering he didn't even deem the last game important enough to use his best players.So you're saying he did play in the previous game and you didn't object -- and you agree it was a throwaway game.

Talk about grasping at straws -- you completely owned yourself.

Twice.

Thanks, doc!

TJastal
04-20-2010, 03:26 PM
So you're saying he did play in the previous game and you didn't object -- and you agree it was a throwaway game.

Talk about grasping at straws -- you completely owned yourself.

Twice.

Thanks, doc!

I just said I would have rested him till the playoffs started.. like PJ did with Bynum and Brown did with Shaq .. no sense in risking them in "throwaway" games.

Heading into the playoffs Popovich should have just rested him in those last two games,

So how exactly I "own myself"... twice...?

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I just said I would have rested him till the playoffs started.. like PJ did with Bynum and Brown did with Shaq .. no sense in risking them in "throwaway" games.You were conspicuously silent when Hill first played in a throwaway game.

So how exactly I "own myself"... twice...?I just explained it to you.

Twice.

Thanks again, Dr. Coach!

TJastal
04-20-2010, 03:38 PM
You were conspicuously silent when Hill first played in a throwaway game.

I just explained it to you.

Twice.

Thanks again, Dr. Coach!

I thought we had this conversation already..... I guess I need to explain it through your dense skull again. It was mine (and everyone's assumption really) the spurs were gunning for the best playoff seed possible, and therefore the risk was justified at the time to bring him back early.

Come to find out it was irrelevant to Pop what seed the spurs managed... now do you see why spurs fans are upset?

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I thought we had this conversation already..... I guess I need to explain it through your dense skull again. It was mine (and everyone's assumption really) the spurs were gunning for the best playoff seed possible, and therefore the risk was justified at the time to bring him back early.:lol

You don't think they could have beaten the Wolves without him, Dr, Coach?

:lmao

Come to find out it was irrelevant to Pop what seed the spurs managed... and do you finally get it why spurs fans are upset?I know why you are upset, Dr, Coach.

Because you owned yourself twice.

#2!
04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Popovich can drill his team all he wants. The fact is the Spurs have become as predictable as sun in the Sahara. Defenders sit on their passes because they've seen this shit before time and time again and there are no wrinkles to the offense. These days it's one guy dribbling while everyone else is stagnant. When Ginobili has the ball guys don't move. Same fuckin screen and roll over and over. If Ginobili doesn't try to score the defender is waiting on that pass because they've seen it a million times before. Either Ginobili has to make a perfect pass or that ball is getting deflected or stolen. When Parker has the ball nobody moves. When Duncan has the ball nobody moves.

The Mavs in Game 1 looked like the Spurs from '07. Every damn player on that court was moving and cutting to the rim. There was nothing stagnant about them. Marion was cutting. Butler was cutting. Jason Terry said fuck it and got in on the act late in the 4th cutting to the rim for an easy layup. If the Spurs don't get any movement in their offense and just depend on the same old shit they're done.

Great post. At the beginning of the preseason Pop "dumbed down" the spurs offensive play book to help incorporate the new guys, and at the same time gave more control of the offense to the primary ballhandlers (Tony, George, Manu while at point).

I believe these coaching decisions are a large part of the Spurs problems. First of all, the term "dumbed down" was actually used in the papers and could not have had a good effect on the psyche of newcomers like RJ. Secondly, the playbook being simplified took out many clever screens, and cuts that opened up the interior, or started a chain of passing off of the drive, and around the perimeter to the best option available (usually a corner 3). Even back then the Spurs ran the predictable pick and rolls that they do now, but they always managed to pick up extra points here and there off of what you called "wrinkles."

Finally, giving the reigns to Tony, who had been hearing all sorts of "its TP's team" comments over the summer, and George resulted in a lack of rhythm for most of the team. Neither knew when to look for their own shot, dump it down to Timmy, or especially when to get RJ involved. I think those problems could have been resolved by Pop calling the plays, and then, if beneficial, let the guards take over after they've seen what works and what doesn't over the course of a season. Similarly, the playbook should have either been left alone, or more aggressively expanded throughout the season.

There is one play that the spurs have tried maybe 4 or 5 times this season in which Tony sets up in the corner while Tim sets a pick for Richard, who dives towards the basket for an alley-oop. My point is that after assuming that the playbook would be re-expanded as the season wore on so little has actually been done that I am able to pick out which individual plays have been added just by sitting on my couch.

I believe some of the motion lost in the offense could have really utilized Jefferson's skillset, and I don't see why Blair couldn't have already taken over those sneaky points that Oberto used to get off of Tim's, or Manu's passing.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
:lol

You don't think they could have beaten the Wolves without him, Dr, Coach?

:lmao

I know why you are upset, Dr, Coach.

Because you owned yourself twice.

Did the spurs lose to the nets this year? Yes or No?

Obviously Popovich thought it was an important enough game to play Manu and Tim as well. Nobody blinked an eye because we all thought the plan was to win in Dallas to nail the 6th seed.

Pero
04-20-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought we had a lot of guys that played like dogs."

Funny analogy because when I saw Pop's face that game he reminded me of a scared puppy. I'm afraid of the Lakers but if it's Dallas it's Dallas. Damn fool.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Did the spurs lose to the nets this year? Yes or No?Yep.

Obviously Popovich thought it was an important enough game to play Manu and Tim as well. Nobody blinked an eye because we all thought the plan was to win in Dallas to nail the 6th seed.So you accept just how wrong you were. Stunningly wrong.

That's a big step for you, Dr, Coach. You'll find you are wrong about many, many things.

Dallas was a throwaway game.

Hill was getting reps, just as he was against the Wolves when you didn't complain even one little bit.

Not at all.

Not a peep.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Yep.

So you accept just how wrong you were. Stunningly wrong.

That's a big step for you, Dr, Coach. You'll find you are wrong about many, many things.

How am I wrong to be mad that Pop risked Hill for no good reason that makes sense?.. obviously it wasn't to obtain the 6th seed..

Meanwhile PJackson is smart enough to hold Bynum out till the start of the playoffs and not risk playing him in meaningless games and looks like that decision paid off in a big way.

I'm getting tired of this conversation so if you could just explain how I'm wrong here that would be great.. I have a nap to catch..

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
How am I wrong to be mad that Pop risked Hill for no good reason that makes sense?.. obviously it wasn't to obtain the 6th seed..You weren't mad about the Wolves game.

It's nice of you to point out your own hypocrisy for me.

I'm getting tired of this conversation so if you could just explain how I'm wrong here that would be great.. I have a nap to catch..You already did it for me.

Thanks again, Dr. Coach. Don't forget your Geritol.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
You weren't mad about the Wolves game.

You already did it for me.

You do recall that the spurs did, in fact, lose to the nets this year? It was, in fact just a few short weeks before the end of the season if I recall.

So obviously if you can lose to the nets you can also lose to the wolves. And a loss to the wolves could have resulted in a nasty 8th seed matchup with the lakers.

Now, if your an avid reader of the forum (which I think you are) you'll probably remember that I was one of the main proponents of the argument that the spurs should avoid the
8th seed at all costs.

Again, I've got my bases covered and my thinking is crystal clear here. The only hypocrisy being spewed here is from your corner.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Tony still isn't 100%. His game is based entirely on speed.

No, George Hill is recovering from an injury, so the case was made that he shouldn't be playing in a game where the Spurs are resting Duncan and Ginobili. Tony Parker is coming back from a HAND injury and is trying to get his game speed back. Not really sure why you pretend not to understand these things, but you definitely get to pad your post count with all your double-talk.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 05:03 PM
You do recall that the spurs did, in fact, lose to the nets this year? It was, in fact just a few short weeks before the end of the season if I recall.

So obviously if you can lose to the nets you can also lose to the wolves. And a loss to the wolves could have resulted in a nasty 8th seed matchup with the lakers.

Now, if your an avid reader of the forum (which I think you are) you'll probably remember that I was one of the main proponents of the argument that the spurs should avoid the
8th seed at all costs.

Again, I've got my bases covered and my thinking is crystal clear here. The only hypocrisy being spewed here is from your corner.Nope, yours is quite clear. I'm not surprised you don't get it.

No, George Hill is recovering from an injury, so the case was made that he shouldn't be playing in a game where the Spurs are resting Duncan and Ginobili. Tony Parker is coming back from a HAND injury and is trying to get his game speed back. Not really sure why you pretend not to understand these things, but you definitely get to pad your post count with all your double-talk.Where was your objection to Hill's playing against the Wolves?

Gooshie
04-20-2010, 05:10 PM
You weren't mad about the Wolves game.

You already did it for me.

For me, the reason it was ok for Hill to play in the Wolves game was because at that time, there was still a chance for the Spurs to drop to the 8th seed and play the Lakers.

Once we clinched at least the 7th seed that night (when Portland beat OKC), the Dallas game became pretty much meaningless (at least according to Pop). So, if you're gonna rest Tim and Manu in a meaningless game, you should have rested Hill as well.

For those who say, well he needed to get his rhythm back, that's why TP was playing that last game, I disagree. Hill only missed a few games, whereas TP missed an entire month. Also, the chances of TP re-injuring his hand were slim to none while Hill's ankle was still at risk for re-injury.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
For me, the reason it was ok for Hill to play in the Wolves game was because at that time, there was still a chance for the Spurs to drop to the 8th seed and play the Lakers.

Once we clinched at least the 7th seed that night (when Portland beat OKC), the Dallas game became pretty much meaningless (at least according to Pop). So, if you're gonna rest Tim and Manu in a meaningless game, you should have rested Hill as well.

For those who say, well he needed to get his rhythm back, that's why TP was playing that last game, I disagree. Hill only missed a few games, whereas TP missed an entire month. Also, the chances of TP re-injuring his hand were slim to none while Hill's ankle was still at risk for re-injury.We couldn't have beaten the Wolves without Hill?

TJastal
04-20-2010, 05:16 PM

For those who say, well he needed to get his rhythm back, that's why TP was playing that last game, I disagree. Hill only missed a few games, whereas TP missed an entire month. Also, the chances of TP re-injuring his hand were slim to none while Hill's ankle was still at risk for re-injury.

Exactly the argument I've been trying to drill into Gomer Pyle for the past week and a half....

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Exactly the argument I've been trying to drill into Gomer Pyle for the past week and a half....You fear the Wolves.

Hill's 6 points were crucial to the 22-point win according to you.

Understood.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 05:32 PM
We couldn't have beaten the Wolves without Hill?

So this is your newest straw man argument huh?

TJastal
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
You fear the Wolves.

Hill's 6 points were crucial to the 22-point win according to you.

Understood.

Did the spurs just lose to the nets two weeks beforehand? Yes or no. If yes, then why shouldn't the spurs fear ANY team?

Gooshie
04-20-2010, 05:35 PM
We couldn't have beaten the Wolves without Hill?

For a team that lost to the Nets a couple weeks before that and had just lost at home to a Memphis team (who had lost something like 6 of their last 7 heading into that game) the Friday before, yes, you play him if he the doctors clear him (which they obviously did).

In my mind, Pop's goal towards the end of the season was to avoid the 8th spot at all costs. The fact that he didn't play Manu and Duncan in the finale when there was a slight chance at the 6th seed backs up that theory. However, what boggles my mind is, if you're gonna rest those 2, then you should have rested Hill as well.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Did the spurs just lose to the nets two weeks beforehand? Yes or no.Yes.

If yes, then why shouldn't the spurs fear ANY team?Because they didn't need Hill and that's not why he played.

You were wrong, just accept it.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
For a team that lost to the Nets a couple weeks before that and had just lost at home to a Memphis team (who had lost something like 6 of their last 7 heading into that game) the Friday before, yes, you play him if he the doctors clear him (which they obviously did).

In my mind, Pop's goal towards the end of the season was to avoid the 8th spot at all costs. The fact that he didn't play Manu and Duncan in the finale when there was a slight chance at the 6th seed backs up that theory. However, what boggles my mind is, if you're gonna rest those 2, then you should have rested Hill as well.Hill played against the Wolves and no one complained.

Armchair doctors and coaches.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes.

Because they didn't need Hill and that's not why he played.

You were wrong, just accept it.

Uh, Gomer.. is that why he played almost the entire 1st quarter and 4 1/2 minutes of the 2nd quarter... for a total of 16 minutes in the 1st half? .. then just 2 1/2 minutes in the 2nd half when the spurs had a commanding lead?

C'mon Gomer you can do better than this.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Uh, Gomer.. is that why he played almost the entire 1st quarter and 4 1/2 minutes of the 2nd quarter... for a total of 16 minutes in the 1st half? .. then just 2 1/2 minutes in the 2nd half when the spurs had a commanding lead?

C'mon Gomer you can do better than this.That's all he was going to play regardless.

You've never heard of this being done with a player coming off an injury?

Ever?

Not once in your long years of professional basketball and medical practice?

C'mon, Dr. Coach -- you can do better than this.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 06:14 PM
That's all he was going to play regardless.

You've never heard of this being done with a player coming off an injury?

Ever?

Not once in your long years of professional basketball and medical practice?

C'mon, Dr. Coach -- you can do better than this.

Coming off an injury to play almost an entire half ... seems a bit much to me. And no, I've never heard of this "being done" as standard practice. Add in the fact he played the first couple minutes of the 2nd half and it really makes no sense.

Sure looks to me like Pop was using him to ensure a victory. :lol

Obstructed_View
04-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Where was your objection to Hill's playing against the Wolves?

It's not my objection, I'm explaining the argument that you keep pretending not to understand while you shit all over yet another thread. Duncan and Ginobili didn't rest in that game.

ace3g
04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Hill to play in tonight's Game 2

"I think we're probably going to go with him," Popovich said, "unless he falls over in his room or trips over an end table, or something."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Hill_to_play_in_tonights_Game_2.html

TheChillFactor
04-21-2010, 04:22 PM
in just a few more hours it will be time to "release the hounds"

Obstructed_View
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Hill to play in tonight's Game 2

"I think we're probably going to go with him," Popovich said, "unless he falls over in his room or trips over an end table, or something."

Wonder if that's referring to Willie Anderson hurting himself falling at home.