PDA

View Full Version : Good win by Portland

Beaverfuzz
04-19-2010, 01:02 AM
#1 Think the NJ loss doesn't sting right now?

#2 Both Portland and the Spurs matched up better with Phoenix than anyone else...they just might be coming out smelling like roses after it's all said and done?

Congrats Portland, you earned the win tonight.

TD 21
04-19-2010, 01:06 AM
It's nice to see a team who, even though they're clearly over matched on paper, doesn't give a fuck about that and play with a defeatist attitude. Even though they're not going to win this series, they're going to make it more competitive than most think, because they believe. The Jazz will do the same.

Meanwhile, the Spurs, who clearly have more talent than the Trail Blazers (at least in terms of their current lineup), don't think they can beat the Mavs. That's apparent. I can hear it in their tone of voice and see it in the looks on their faces. It's too bad, because theoretically they should be capable of beating this team, but instead they want to feel sorry for themselves.

lil_penny
04-19-2010, 01:08 AM
:toast

Beaverfuzz
04-19-2010, 01:11 AM
It's nice to see a team who, even though they're clearly over matched on paper, doesn't give a fuck about that and play with a defeatist attitude. Even though they're not going to win this series, they're going to make it more competitive than most think, because they believe. The Jazz will do the same.

Meanwhile, the Spurs, who clearly have more talent than the Trail Blazers (at least in terms of their current lineup), don't think they can beat the Mavs. That's apparent. I can hear it in their tone of voice and see it in the looks on their faces. It's too bad, because theoretically they should be capable of beating this team, but instead they want to feel sorry for themselves.

If you don't think Portland has a chance in this series, you're very much mistaken. Once Utah got relegated to the 4/5 series, Phoenix was and is the best matchup for both Portland and San Antonio,.

Still think Spurs can get a W in Dallas but not so sure they can win two in a row at home to make it 3-1. :flag:

Beaverfuzz
04-19-2010, 01:12 AM
:toast

Don't you have a Walter Berry picture to post or is that way before your time? And yes I live in Portland/Beaverton.

lil_penny
04-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Don't you have a Walter Berry picture to post or is that way before your time? And yes I live in Portland/Beaverton.

before my time lol... :toastfellow portland/beaverton resident

blkroadrunners
04-19-2010, 01:27 AM
#2 Both Portland and the Spurs matched up better with Phoenix than anyone else...they just might be coming out smelling like roses after it's all said and done?

I doubt SA this year, since Bruce Bowen in the past caused a lot of trouble for Steve Nash, but that's just my opinion.

TFloss32
04-19-2010, 08:26 AM
I'd love to see Portland and LA in the second round. Those guys give the Lakers fits.

TJastal
04-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Hard to win when one of your key players is hobbled. If Hill had been healthy for game 1 and put in his usual 15/5/2 the spurs would have won the game no problem

Jimcs50
04-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Great game, back and forth the whole game, never anyone getting out in comfortable lead. Kudos to Blazers for sucking it up and playing well without Roy.

CarefreeAZ
04-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Portland is long, athletic, plays great defense and maid a great effort in getting back on D and not letting the suns run any fast break points off of missed shots. Very similar to the prior San Antonio defense that slows the suns down. Born and lived in Portland until 93 but my support has gone with the Suns since than. Portland looks very confident.

tlongII
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd love to see Portland and LA in the second round. Those guys give the Lakers fits.

We can't play the Lakers until the WCF. Hopefully that happens. :tu

jack0fspeed
04-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I didn't understand why PHX was favored pretty much unanimously.

Yes, Portland lost their best player. But obviously Andre Miller can step in and do most of the same things Roy does (except hit threes ... he got lucky there). Bottom line is that Miller is an extremely underated player and Jason Richardson and Nash can't guard him.

Portland also has two guys that can guard Amare Stoudemire well. So they are a bad matchup for PHX.

I believe that PHX will have to change their lineup/assignments and put Grant Hill on Andre Miller.

jestersmash
04-19-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm going for portland in this series. They're the closest team I can think of that's similar to the spurs. Plagued with injury issues (not so much for the spurs at the moment, but certainly a lot for the blazers). Definite underdogs against the mavericks, suns, respectively.

TD 21
04-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Hard to win when one of your key players is hobbled. If Hill had been healthy for game 1 and put in his usual 15/5/2 the spurs would have won the game no problem

It is hard, yet other teams with inferior talent have no problem doing so. What did I say last night? The Jazz will not go quietly either and sure enough, they're already proving they won't. Why? Because they're obviously well coached, but also because they believe. They don't hang their heads and have a defeatist, woe is me attitude.

Hill is a key player, but to act like you can't or shouldn't expect to win a game because your fourth best player is hobbled is ridiculous. If you're to go on a long run, they'll probably be injuries along the way. Maybe an illness, whatever. Something that causes a key player or two (or more) to miss at least a game, two games, possibly more.

lrrr
04-20-2010, 01:35 AM
The Blazers and Jazz are two tough minded teams. Kudos to both for their wins. Deron was a beast tonight, almost single handedly put the entire Nugs starting 5 in foul trouble. The Spurs wings (except for Manu) could learn a lesson from him and stop hiding behind the three point line.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 01:43 AM
It is hard, yet other teams with inferior talent have no problem doing so. What did I say last night? The Jazz will not go quietly either and sure enough, they're already proving they won't. Why? Because they're obviously well coached, but also because they believe. They don't hang their heads and have a defeatist, woe is me attitude.

Hill is a key player, but to act like you can't or shouldn't expect to win a game because your fourth best player is hobbled is ridiculous. If you're to go on a long run, they'll probably be injuries along the way. Maybe an illness, whatever. Something that causes a key player or two (or more) to miss at least a game, two games, possibly more.

When I say, "4th best player" I was being respectful to certain players on the team :D

In all honesty, Hill has been the teams' 2nd best player for the latter half of the season esp in the absence of Parker.

You lose your 2nd best player and you can believe all you want but your going to still be at a severe disadvantage.

And using the jazz-nuggets series is not a good example. You're implying the jazz are at a disadvantage being a man down and Boozer playing hurt when if you look at the nuggets, Martin is also hurt and they are down their coach. For a mentally unstable crew like that, not having one of the best coaches in the league (Karl) is a big blow.

TD 21
04-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Karl is an overrated coach, the Jazz don't have as much talent as the Nuggets to begin with and aside from Boozer being hobbled (cancel it out if you want with Martin being hobbled) they have two starters, Kirilenko and Okur, not playing altogether. Yet they still managed to win in one of the tougher buildings in the league and I'm not surprised.

Duncan was worn out from carrying too heavy a load and playing too many games in a short stretch, but as you can see, when rested and healthy, which he now is, he's still the best player on this team. Hill, for as well as he played, is really the teams fourth best player. I'll even give you third, with Parker clearly still trying to find his rhythm. But second? He may have been playing that way for a stretch, but he's not the second best player and even if he was, this team should have enough talent to be able to overcome that for a game or two. For a series is another story, but my point is I don't want to hear if this team loses this series, "if only Hill were healthier". If they lose in seven in overtime, fine, maybe that makes the difference. If they go meekly in five or even six, they flat out weren't good enough, Hill healthy or not.

Crosherelooms
04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Hill is a key player, but to act like you can't or shouldn't expect to win a game because your fourth best player is hobbled is ridiculous.

If Hill can't not only play but play effectively, this series is over.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by TD 21

Hill is a key player, but to act like you can't or shouldn't expect to win a game because your fourth best player is hobbled is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by TD 21

If Hill can't not only play but play effectively, this series is over.

:lmao

Busted!

spursrocks
04-20-2010, 09:30 AM
we need hill to play better to beat dallas

poop
04-20-2010, 10:02 AM
bullshit

im sure Portland is thinking 'we need to have ___ back before we can beat the suns'

and im sure jerry sloan is telling the utah players 'look guys sorry but were missing 2 of our starters so we are not going to beat denver'

yet a spurs team with more health and talent even without hill 'cant win' :rolleyes:rolleyes

TD 21
04-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Learn to read. I specified " a game". To win the series, the Spurs need Hill. To win a game, they shouldn't.

Beaverfuzz
04-20-2010, 11:31 PM
bullshit

im sure Portland is thinking 'we need to have ___ back before we can beat the suns'

and im sure jerry sloan is telling the utah players 'look guys sorry but were missing 2 of our starters so we are not going to beat denver'

yet a spurs team with more health and talent even without hill 'cant win' :rolleyes:rolleyes

Blazers can win without Roy, they've proved it quite a bit this year. Still think SA wins tomorrow. :flag:

CarefreeAZ
04-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Grant Hill was 10 for 10 shooting. He missed his first shot with about 4:00 left in the third quarter.

jack0fspeed
04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
I believe that PHX will have to change their lineup/assignments and put Grant Hill on Andre Miller.

Not like it took Red Auerbach to see this, but I told you so.