PDA

View Full Version : A theory on a Game 2 gameplan.

xellos88330
04-19-2010, 01:40 AM
It is my opinion that Dirk's low post defense is probably average.

If you were to have a team that features two low post threats comfortable with their back to the basket, would it be possible to exploit Nowitzki on the low block?

PROS:

1. Dirk will most likely have to foul in order to prevent the basket if left alone.
2. If it proves to work, it could force a Dallas double team in order to protect their star opening up driving lanes and 3pt shots.
3. It could possibly wear out Dirk giving him tired legs hopefully affecting his play on the offensive end.
4. It might be easier to rebound on both ends of the court.

CONS: (Can't think of many, but please feel free to add some if you think of any)

1. The floor will not be spread unless the second low post player is effective, otherwise there are too many bodies under the basket to make a clear attempt at the rim for the guards.

PROBABLE PERSONNEL TO FIT THIS SYSTEM:

1. Antonio McDyess - I am not sure how comfortable he is on the low block. I would like to see him take Nowitzki there just to see.
2. DeJuan Blair - He has shown to be capable in the low block and would most likely wear Dirk out. However, Dirk could do the same at the other end of the court.
3. Matt Bonner - Does he even know what the low block is?
4. Ian Mahinmi - This guy could be the one that could fill that role, but he is largely unproven.

I would love to see more of Blair and possibly Mahinmi filling this role.

Discuss...

TD 21
04-19-2010, 01:49 AM
This is the game plan...

- Either have Ginobili or Parker run a pick-and-roll almost every possession.

- Every once in a while throw Duncan a bone and give him the ball. Even though he's been scoring at will lately, inexplicably ignore him for long stretches.

- Then on defense, act scared and defeatist of every good player or every player with a size advantage. Double team and/or play defenders on players who have no chance of slowing them down and don't make them guard at the other end.

- Put out lineups that have no chance at being successful

- Put players in positions where they've often failed

Then after wards, credit the other team to no end, act like you have one player on your roster with talent (Ginobili) and pretend that almost every team's best player is better than yours (Duncan)

blkroadrunners
04-19-2010, 01:51 AM
This is the game plan...

- Either have Ginobili or Parker run a pick-and-roll almost every possession.

- Every once in a while throw Duncan a bone and give him the ball. Even though he's been scoring at will lately, inexplicably ignore him for long stretches.

- Then on defense, act scared and defeatist of every good player or every player with a size advantage. Double team and/or play defenders on players who have no chance of slowing them down and don't make them guard at the other end.

- Put out lineups that have no chance at being successful

- Put players in positions where they've often failed

Then after wards, credit the other team to no end, act like you have one player on your roster with talent (Ginobili) and pretend that almost every team's best player is better than yours (Duncan)

Sounds like a plan.

TinTin
04-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Notplay mason and jefferson needs to time travel

Basileus777
04-19-2010, 01:54 AM
It would be a fine plan if the Spurs actually had a post-scorer other than Duncan.

SpursRulez4eVeR
04-19-2010, 01:59 AM
I honestly thought the spurs played well enough to win game1, defensively spurs were slow for some stretches but overall they did fine.
As long as we keep the TOs down and TAKE CARE OF THE FREAKING BALL game 2 should be in the bag. (and oh...if RJ gonna showing up for a few mins of the 30 that he plays, spurs could have a even bigger breathing room)

Xevious
04-19-2010, 02:50 AM
We don't have anybody that can guard Dirk one-on-one. Either let him score and try your best to shut everybody else down, or double every time down the floor and leave shooters open.

I know people are going to hate this suggestion, but maybe they need to small-ball it again. IIRC, the only win against the Mavs we got this season was when Duncan was out and we were playing small. Bonner and Dice are zero threat on the offensive end, and we've seen what kind of success they have at guarding him. Put RJ back in at PF and draw up some drives, lobs, etc to make Dirk run on the defensive end. Of course, if RJ plays like he did tonight, there's no point.

TJastal
04-19-2010, 08:27 AM
We don't have anybody that can guard Dirk one-on-one. Either let him score and try your best to shut everybody else down, or double every time down the floor and leave shooters open.

I know people are going to hate this suggestion, but maybe they need to small-ball it again. IIRC, the only win against the Mavs we got this season was when Duncan was out and we were playing small. Bonner and Dice are zero threat on the offensive end, and we've seen what kind of success they have at guarding him. Put RJ back in at PF and draw up some drives, lobs, etc to make Dirk run on the defensive end. Of course, if RJ plays like he did tonight, there's no point.

Small ball worked great when the mavs didn't have a 7 foot beast in the paint named Haywood too