PDA

View Full Version : Coach's Post Game Quotes (Mavs Game One)

duncan228
04-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/100418.html)

Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the Mavs' different look from last year - “I’m not going to compare their teams. I only care about the team they have now. So it’s not much interest to me to compare how they are now to Josh. I know what they are now and that’s who we have to play. They played better than we did, they played very well. I felt the first half was just a killer, half their points, 27 points off boards, putbacks and turnovers. That’s just a sloppy game. There’s no reason for that, so I was very disappointed in us not being very sharp. I think we’ve got to have a few more people step up and play worth a damn. I thought we had a lot of guys that played like dogs.”

On his strategy to foul Dampier - “We wanted to put him at the line because and hoped he would miss free throws rather than Dirk killing us the way he was.”

On Dirk playing special tonight - “There aren’t many nights when Dirk is not special. He was special tonight, but he had a lot of help. A lot of other guys played really well. Butler killed us and both big guys were really good on the boards defensively. Jason [Kidd] was a gnat. He was a focused, driven individual, as usual. They had a lot of people play well. They played sharper than we did.”

On not double teaming Dirk - “They had scorers last season too. You pick your poison and whatever you pick you try to do it well. Dirk got the best of whatever we tried to do with him tonight. We tried a lot of different things, but he beat them all.”

On whether the sloppiness was avoidable - “Sure. Some turnovers were caused for good reason. But there a good number that were unnecessary, and I felt we did a poor job on the boards as far as team defense is concerned.”

Mavericks Head Coach Rick Carlisle

On the game - "Damp was a real presence for us on the inside. Duncan had a big game offensively, he scored a lot of points, but Damp made his job harder. He [Dampier] got his hands on a lot of balls, got us a lot of rebounds, and when they went to the fouling tactic he made 4 out of 6, which was great for us."

On the game turning around with 5 minutes left in the fourth - "It was a factor. Anytime you can get into the bonus early it helps. It was a very hard fought, aggressive game; the whistle was blown some and there was contact both ways. Getting to the free throw line is a really important thing in the playoffs"

On Jason Kidd's play - "Kidd played great. He was sensational in really all areas. In the second half he gave us a spark defensively—on Ginobili and when he was guarding their point guards. He’s been great all year and it’s no surprise that he carried it into tonight."

On whether he was surprised that the Spurs didn't double team Dirk - "There were some double teams and we’re going to see everything before it’s over. Butler got double teamed, but he got going. Marion got double teamed a couple times. They’re going to give you different looks and we’re going to give them different looks, too. We’ll have to adjust when those things happen, and we’ll have to be ready to make plays."

On the pick-and-roll defense - "We struggled a little at the beginning of the game, and then when we finally got our bearings we did a better job. It’s very tough because such a high percentage of their plays are pick and roll plays, and they’ve got really great facilitators and good screeners and rollers and a bunch of three point shooters out there. It’s going to be challenging. The important thing is five guys are engaged in it defensively, even though it’s a two man game. Everybody’s got to be involved because so many different things happen on their screen and roll."

On Caron Butler's game - "He got it going in the first half and a lot of his early points were not necessarily out of plays we were running for him, but out of just playing basketball. Then we started to run some stuff for him and he delivered. There was a period in the third quarter where he really carried us for a three or four minute stretch. They adjusted and double teamed him and we got other guys the ball. But he’s a guy that’s not afraid; he wants the ball in those situations. He’s been in the playoffs multiple times and he played well for us."

arles
04-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

"...That’s just a sloppy game. There’s no reason for that, so I was very disappointed in us not being very sharp. I think we’ve got to have a few more people step up and play worth a damn. I thought we had a lot of guys that played like dogs.”

Damn, pop was really mad at some people... just like us :bang

timvpimp
04-19-2010, 07:41 AM
On whether he was surprised that the Spurs didn't double team Dirk - "There were some double teams and we’re going to see everything before it’s over. Butler got double teamed, but he got going. Marion got double teamed a couple times. They’re going to give you different looks and we’re going to give them different looks, too. We’ll have to adjust when those things happen, and we’ll have to be ready to make plays."

he should be more surprised Barea didn't blow up the win, despite how hard he tried.

Xevious
04-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Damn, pop was really mad at some people... just like us :bang
It's actually nice to hear that from him. Hopefully he holds those players accountable.

Jimcs50
04-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I thought the Spurs traded for Richard Jefferson in offseason????

lurker
04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Why is Pop insulting dogs like that? Hasn't he seen Air Bud?

easy7
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM
If by dogs he means bitches...

jalberto
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/472/bullpop.jpg

Mixability
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
yeah, the lack of a double team wouldve been a surprise tactic, but to let Dirk go unguarded at all? Fn Bonner.

beachwood
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/472/bullpop.jpg

Wow, I'm going to have nightmares from this.

lefty
04-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Fuck you Pop :flipoff

Of course some players outside the big 3 are gonna suck, especially if they are named Bogans, Bonner and RMJ

Stop playing them and you will be a happy man

spurs10
04-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow, I'm going to have nightmares from this.
Don't stare at this. It is extremely evil, not in a good kind of evil way.

Spurs Brazil
04-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Pop, one of the dogs name is Roger Mason Jr. And he only played like a dog because you put him in the game

This Mason dog already choked in last year playoffs and you rewarded him with 10 minutes yesterday.

Stop blaming this dog Pop. You put him in the game

The other dog named Jefferson is to SOFT and stupid. I have no hope for him

silverblk mystix
04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
the biggest dog was Pop...

Blair destroyed the mav bigs for 27/23...

and in your infinite wisdom YOU rewarded him with 6 minutes playing time...

Temple showed that he belongs by defending and destroying Marion's layup---YOU rewarded him by giving him a DNP

FUCK POP

jestersmash
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
the biggest dog was Pop...

Blair destroyed the mav bigs for 27/23...

and in your infinite wisdom YOU rewarded him with 6 minutes playing time...

Temple showed that he belongs by defending and destroying Marion's layup---YOU rewarded him by giving him a DNP

FUCK POP

That game means very little, the mavericks were sandbagging as were the spurs. Blair was one of the few players who was probably trying his best.

crc21209
04-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Pop, one of the dogs name is Roger Mason Jr. And he only played like a dog because you put him in the game

This Mason dog already choked in last year playoffs and you rewarded him with 10 minutes yesterday.

Stop blaming this dog Pop. You put him in the game

The other dog named Jefferson is to SOFT and stupid. I have no hope for him

Exactly...RMJ shouldnt have been out there PERIOD. Give all of his minutes to Hill or Temple...end of story.

duncan228
04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Spurs' Gregg Popovich, Mavs' Rick Carlisle differ in motivational methods (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042010dnsposherrington.3c26e89.html)
by Kevin Sherrington / The Dallas Morning News

Coaches all have motivational methods, some of which would be unacceptable under the terms of the Geneva Convention.

Jackie Sherrill had a bull castrated in front of his Mississippi State team. Bill Parcells once called Terry Glenn "she." Denny Crum often challenged players in H-O-R-S-E, then beat them.

On the local front, the coaches in the state championship NBA series displayed their disparate approaches this week.

Gregg Popovich raised eyebrows when he said several of his Spurs "played like dogs" in an opening-round loss to the Mavs.

Rick Carlisle raised one eyebrow, then said, "We're going to have to do some things better."

We'll see Wednesday which coach's methods worked best, but my money's on the Jim Carrey impersonator.

Both coaches have reason to want more from their teams as this best-of-7 series progresses. The Mavs' 100-94 win wasn't exactly artistic. What was appealing from their perspective was the gritty, grind-it-out mentality previously missing from most Mavs playoff teams.

Even at that, Carlisle knows Sunday's level of play may not be good enough going forward.

The Mavs probably won't enjoy an edge of 20 free throw attempts again. They can't turn it over so much, either. They've got to reroute the Spurs around the lane. Shawn Marion is going to need help with Manu Ginobili. And if Jason Kidd has to keep running around screens to locate Ginobili as well as others, he's not going to have enough gas left to run the offense.

Carlisle will probably figure this out. For a coach who assimilated three new players into his rotation at midseason and ended up with the second seed in the Western Conference, he doesn't get much credit. Despite some grumbling internally, he's succeeded in juggling the lineup Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson assembled.

Before you raise your hand to object: Carlisle is going to have to find a way to get Roddy Beaubois involved in this series, too, and the sooner the better.

The Mavs didn't have to show all their cards in Game 1, which was a plus. But if Beaubois is to be an X-factor, he needs to get his playoff indoctrination on his home floor, not in San Antonio or elsewhere.

Still, Carlisle's biggest concern isn't how his crew follows up on its opening success. He'll have to worry more about how the Spurs respond to Popovich's rip.

Not that Carlisle was surprised by it, really.

"He knows his team, and he has his ways of motivating," Carlisle said Monday. "That's how he does it."

Dirk Nowitzki wasn't too shocked, either.

"Nellie was never afraid to call us out back in the day," he said. "A coach has a right to call out his players.

"I'm sure they'll respond."

Yes, they will. One way or the other.

Most of the Spurs' starters have been with Popovich for years and won titles with him. They understand him. They know how smart he is. They get why he says what he does.

But calling millionaire pros "dogs" is testing limits, even when dealing with a friendly cast. And not all the Spurs may be so amenable.

Acquired from Milwaukee to give San Antonio another top scorer, Richard Jefferson hasn't fit in. The Spurs reportedly shopped him around at one point but found no takers at $14.2 million.

Even with Jefferson's problems, Popovich had to expect more in this series. In four games against the Mavs this season, he averaged 16 points.

On Sunday, he put up four points in 32 minutes. That's not much bang for your Buck.

With Tony Parker back, Jefferson looked like an outsider afraid to crash the Spurs' clique of Ginobili, Parker and Tim Duncan.

Maybe Popovich's rash comment will stir something in Jefferson. Asked about it after the game, Jefferson had no comment.

He might have more to say about his coach's motivational skills Wednesday, one way or the other. Every dog has his day. Sometimes they don't care who they bite.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-20-2010, 11:59 AM
[URL="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042010dnsposherrington.3c26e89.html"]
[B]He might have more to say about his coach's motivational skills Wednesday, one way or the other. Every dog has his day. Sometimes they don't care who they bite.
What the F**k is that supposed to mean? This writer must be used to covering teams w/ players like josh howard and t.owens. Is he trying to insinuate something about RJ? This is weak sauce. :rolleyes