PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Nowitzki, Mavericks look loaded for bear

duncan228
04-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Nowitzki, Mavericks look loaded for bear (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-nowitzkimavericks041910)
By Johnny Ludden

Dirk Nowitzki snarled and flung his arms up, pushing himself from Matt Bonner, a show of toughness that sent the American Airlines Center into a delirious roar. Nowitzki bared his teeth and barked some more, and, no, this was not an act born of frustration. This looked like contempt.

This is who you send to stop me, Nowitzki seemed to be demanding. Is this all you have? All these years, all these battles, and, still, you haven’t learned?

Never does Nowitzki look so ferocious as while he’s chewing through the San Antonio Spurs. He has done it for much of the past decade, and he did so again Sunday, scoring 36 points and leading his Dallas Mavericks to a 100-94 victory in the opening game of the teams’ first-round playoff series. Nowitzki missed just two shots and none of his 12 free throws, a stunningly efficient performance that should remind everyone that even now, two months from his 32nd birthday and a dozen seasons into his NBA career, he remains at the top of his game.

This, too, should also serve as a reminder of not only how far Nowitzki has come, but also where he’s headed. In a little more than two months, the grandest free-agent market in NBA history opens, and Nowitzki could take his place alongside LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh as one of the biggest prizes. Yet, unlike James, Wade and Bosh, Nowitzki hasn’t publicly flirted with the idea of moving to another team, and that’s because, deep down, he knows something else.

Never has he had it this good.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and general manager Donnie Nelson have forever labored to build a title contender around Nowitzki. Sometimes they’ve tinkered too much – letting Steve Nash jet off into a pair of MVP awards in Phoenix qualifies as such – but they’ve always continued to work, and their latest efforts show promise. Nowitzki now looks at the depth of talent around him, at all the different working parts, and sees what most of the NBA sees: This is a roster built for the grind of the playoffs.

“We have enough weapons,” Nowitzki said.

Caron Butler ranks high among them. He came over two months ago from Washington in a deadline-week deal along with Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson, all of them bringing an aggressiveness the Mavericks were lacking. Haywood left his imprint on the Spurs by helping Dallas’ other 7-foot center, Erick Dampier, control the boards. Butler delivered 22 points.

“Everything I’ve been working on with Coach and watching film for the last month and a half, two months, has been preparation for the playoffs,” Butler said. “I’ve been waiting for this opportunity.”

Nowitzki could say the same. Two years before Butler arrived, Nowitzki received his greatest gift yet. The Mavericks acquired Jason Kidd in a trade with Devin Harris, an unpopular deal given Harris’ enormous potential and Kidd’s advancing age. The criticism only grew – here and elsewhere – after Kidd’s first season in Dallas ended with a first-round exit and Harris grew into an All-Star the following season. Instead, Kidd has now done exactly what Cuban thought he would: He has made the game easier for Nowitzki.

The bond between Nowitzki and Kidd continues to grow, as has Kidd’s impact. He has become a deadly 3-point threat at an age when most expect to see only slippage. And if the Mavs wanted any more evidence of the magic Kidd can work, all they need to do is look across the court.

Richard Jefferson once played alongside Kidd, and the New Jersey Nets thought he looked so good doing so, they gave him a $76 million contract.

The Spurs have a hard time swallowing those numbers now that they’re responsible for $29 million of the contract. They traded for Jefferson in the offseason, and so far he has delivered only a luxury-tax bill. More than anyone, Jefferson represents the Spurs’ ongoing struggle to surround their stars with enough productive role players. On Sunday, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker combined for 71 points, yet received only a single satisfactory performance from their supporting cast: Antonio McDyess.

“I thought we had a lot of guys who played like dogs,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, and it’s no secret who he thought was woofing the loudest.

Jefferson made one shot in 32 minutes and now looks just as indecisive on the court as he did at the altar eight months ago. Losing George Hill also robbed the Spurs of one of their best perimeter defenders. If Hill’s injured right foot keeps him sidelined as it did for much of the second half, then Parker could reclaim his starting job, even though he insists Popovich wants to continue using him as “Manu Jr.” off the bench.

The Spurs will need to locate a spark somewhere, and they don’t have many options. From Jaren Jackson to Stephen Jackson to Steve Kerr to Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry, they won championships by finding role players who could contribute under pressure. They thought they had another before last season’s playoffs exposed Roger Mason’s limitations. Mason now has a new role: designated fouler.

On three consecutive possessions, Popovich had Mason wrap up Dampier. In doing so, the Spurs conceded their inability to guard Nowitzki. “We hoped [Dampier] would miss free throws,” Popovich said, “rather than Dirk killing us the way he was.”

Nowitzki didn’t have as many weapons at his disposal in last season’s playoffs, and the Spurs doubled him aggressively, limiting him to an average of 16.3 points through the series’ first four games. San Antonio still lost three of those games, and Josh Howard was a big reason why. Even now Howard continues to haunt the Spurs: It was his contract that allowed the Mavericks to acquire Butler and Haywood.

The Spurs rarely double-teamed Nowitzki on Sunday, perhaps fearful of allowing too many Mavericks to find their rhythm. Popovich instead rotated defenders at him, from McDyess to Bonner to Jefferson to Keith Bogans. None of them had any lasting success.

“I’m going to take whatever they give me,” Nowitzki said.

Nowitzki has already taken a lot from these Spurs. He won last year’s series with 31 points in Game 5, he won the teams’ epic 2006 series with 37 points in Game 7 and he very well could have won the 2003 series had he not missed the final three games with an injured left knee. The Spurs have never had an answer for him, and they don’t look much closer to finding one now.

Afterward, Nowitzki said all the right things. A couple of his shots were lucky to fall in. He still expects the series to become a grind. The Spurs are too good, too proud, to go down easy.

Maybe he’s right. But Nowitzki also knows he has never had this much help. He looks down his bench and sees all these pieces fitting together. He sees opportunity. He watches Butler bury a 3-pointer. He watches Kidd bury another.

From across the court, the Spurs see the same, and they, too, wonder: Has Nowitzki ever looked more dangerous?

tmtcsc
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Fuck Dirk. We need to make someone else score. They won't do it as well as he can or as consistently. Marginalize him and make Terry or Butler do it. He's too good to play him one on one. That was silly. The Spurs need to make him think about what he's facing. When he's able to realize that he's not being doubled, he doesn't have to think about where the open man is. He just needs to get his shot off.

If the Spurs double him, he will need to see who is open and where he can pass it to. If we can't deny him the ball, then we need to find a way to deny someone else.

We can beat Dallas, we just don't need to make it any harder for ourselves.

Dex
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I really wish Dirk wasn't a Maverick, so I could appreciate his amazing floor game without it being tainted with contempt and coming at the expense of the Spurs.

Amarelooms
04-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Fuck Dirk. We need to make someone else score. They won't do it as well as he can or as consistently. Marginalize him and make Terry or Butler do it. He's too good to play him one on one. That was silly. The Spurs need to make him think about what he's facing. When he's able to realize that he's not being doubled, he doesn't have to think about where the open man is. He just needs to get his shot off.

If the Spurs double him, he will need to see who is open and where he can pass it to. If we can't deny him the ball, then we need to find a way to deny someone else.

We can beat Dallas, we just don't need to make it any harder for ourselves.

lol at this homer...Dirk is the man...show some respect

:elephant

MmP
04-19-2010, 11:14 AM
It's not like we need adjustments. We need a whole rembamp to have chances. I think that none really knew what kind of series was going to be until game one: Mavs too deep, Spurs no answers besides big 3. And that kinda makes me laugh because know you see all these articles around saying these but none was stating it before game one.

Dirk barely missed and barely worked offensively he was getting it easyly. Butler kinda the same, and Kidd never lost control of the tempo of the game.

Manu had a lot of TO but what did you expect? The guy was the only one playing out there he needed to force it order to make somthing happen, to me those are justifed TO.

Spurs really need to step it up. Especially the role players but there's not much you can ask, they've sucked all year why would the rise now? I think that now more than ever Pop really need to work something out or this is going to be a short one.

Phillip
04-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Barkley made a good point about Dirk. The reason why in the past that Bruce Bowen and other quick defenders were able to somewhat give Dirk fits, is because they took away his dribble drives with their quickness.

However, Dirk has expanded his game since, and can back those smaller, pesky defenders down, resulting in drawing double teams. His lack of experience in seeing quick double teams when he starts backing opponents down was exploited somewhat in the Golden State series.

But again, Dirk has grown since then. Dirk has now become probably one of the top 3 hardest scorers to gameplan against now (along with Kobe and Carmello IMO). He is just too versatile and presents such a ridiculous matchup nightmare. Dirk has almost no weaknesses on offense right now. There is nothing he hasn't shown an ability to overcome over the past couple years. Even in losing efforts in the playoffs against the Hornets and Nuggets, he still played some incredible basketball and was completely unstoppable. The only thing that really stops him at this point is when his teammates like JET are playing like ass, allowing teams to double and collapse on Dirk more effectively.

admiralsnackbar
04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I really wish Dirk wasn't a Maverick, so I could appreciate his amazing floor game without it being tainted with contempt and coming at the expense of the Spurs.

Last night, I didn't struggle with this as much as I have in the past. He played about as well as someone with his skill-set can and -- ignoring some calls he got -- it was beautiful basketball to behold. The thing to watch is whether he can maintain a comparable level of transcendence through the series. We Spurs fans can only hope he doesn't.

Shank
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
I love the username of Admiral Snackbar. Gold.

elbamba
04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
This is where it would have been nice to develope someone like Ian. He at least has the quickness and length. Bonner gives it his all, but Bonner sucks.

DBMethos
04-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Dirk Nowitzki snarled and flung his arms up, pushing himself from Matt Bonner, a show of toughness that sent the American Airlines Center into a delirious roar. Nowitzki bared his teeth and barked some more, and, no, this was not an act born of frustration. This looked like contempt.

This is who you send to stop me, Nowitzki seemed to be demanding. Is this all you have? All these years, all these battles, and, still, you haven’t learned?

All opposing players' eyes light up when they see Bonner sent to guard them, but noneso more than Dirk. Like Ludden says, it's almost as if he takes it as a personal insult. And it pretty much is.

elbamba
04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
All opposing players' eyes light up when they see Bonner sent to guard them, but noneso more than Dirk. Like Ludden says, it's almost as if he takes it as a personal insult. And it pretty much is.

I think Bird used to say the same thing if the other team put a white guy on him for defense.

beachwood
04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Throughout all the years, I've always wondered why the Spurs never make Dirk play defense. He's gets a free ride on that end.

Why are no plays designed to pick off Dirk so he has to guard the likes of TP, Manu or better yet TD? Dirk gets to save up all his energy when he's standing out there guarding Bogans or Bonner at the 3pt line. He expends nothing on defense.

It's no wonder he shoots 12 of 14. All his energy is saved up and put into his offense when he gets a breather on the other end of the court.

diego
04-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Throughout all the years, I've always wondered why the Spurs never make Dirk play defense. He's gets a free ride on that end.

Why are no plays designed to pick off Dirk so he has to guard the likes of TP, Manu or better yet TD? Dirk gets to save up all his energy when he's standing out there guarding Bogans or Bonner at the 3pt line. He expends nothing on defense.

It's no wonder he shoots 12 of 14. All his energy is saved up and put into his offense when he gets a breather on the other end of the court.

i agree completely. also, if the refs are going to call ticky tack bull shit, pop should tell his guys to maul him and show the refs what real fouls are. if I'm matt bonner and two trips down i get called for being in dirk's vicinity as hes shooting a fadeaway, then the next time down i'm jumping into him, arms up knees out. we make it too damn easy for him.

MateoNeygro
04-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Couldn't have said it better or agree more. This guy is an amazing player but I just hate him.:bang

sefant77
04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
I think with Dirk on a west contender the next years, Anthony in Denver and emerging Thunder with Durant Pop did a major mistake passing on a Jax for nothing trade. or he still overrated Jefferson so early into the season.

MateoNeygro
04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
I think the best thing to do is double team Dirk every time down. That's all I can fucking think of. This guy is amazing on offense and to make it worse HE GETS THE MOST WHISTLES I'VE EVER SEEN. You can't even look at him or you'll get called for a foul. With that being said since we always face the fuckin Mavs why wouldn't we take time in the offseason to find somewhat of an answer for Dirk. A long, quick, smart defender. Not easy to come by I'm sure but I'd take that over what everyone but Tony, Tim and Manu are offering.

sefant77
04-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Na, the worst calls this season gets Durant. Swinging his arm under the defenders arm and pretend it was a shooting move...so freaky lame. Not Dirks fault when Bonnr is so stupid and touch his ellbow during the shooting...

admiralsnackbar
04-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I just watched the 1990 Portland-SA series again and could not help but wonder how Dirk's play would fare back when the PO's meant no whistles unless blood was drawn.

It's kinda dismaying seeing how pussified the game has gotten since then.

lefty
04-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Man, they look better than they did in 2006

Hide the bikes !

mavs>spurs2
04-19-2010, 01:06 PM
I think the best thing to do is double team Dirk every time down. That's all I can fucking think of. This guy is amazing on offense and to make it worse HE GETS THE MOST WHISTLES I'VE EVER SEEN. You can't even look at him or you'll get called for a foul. With that being said since we always face the fuckin Mavs why wouldn't we take time in the offseason to find somewhat of an answer for Dirk. A long, quick, smart defender. Not easy to come by I'm sure but I'd take that over what everyone but Tony, Tim and Manu are offering.

are you kidding me? you clowns were all over him. learn to defend instead of just fouling him every time and hoping that the refs will eventually get tired of the stoppages let most of it go. that's a terrible defensive strategy.

rjv
04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
role players often make great players look unbeatable. nothing hard to figure out about that.

badfish22
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Dirk raping the team hes supposed to rape. Good article.

sefant77
04-19-2010, 01:53 PM
I just watched the 1990 Portland-SA series again and could not help but wonder how Dirk's play would fare back when the PO's meant no whistles unless blood was drawn.

It's kinda dismaying seeing how pussified the game has gotten since then.

Gino would be allready in retirement due to consistent injuries hitting the floor all the time and Parker would cut half of his drives into the paint. Watch Parker taking more outside shots.

Just telling...its not that 2 of the spurs big 3 has a major protection and easier living with the handchecking rule...

tmtcsc
04-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Nah, fuck him. I said too many positive things about the guy in my post as it is. Golden State owned him a few years back. It's Pop that should show the guy a little more respect and start double teaming him. Even the junk he threw up went in.

04-19-2010, 02:32 PM
dirk always turns it on against the spurs. nothing new here. spurs are in big trouble against a first round confident dirk.

admiralsnackbar
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Gino would be allready in retirement due to consistent injuries hitting the floor all the time and Parker would cut half of his drives into the paint. Watch Parker taking more outside shots.

Just telling...its not that 2 of the spurs big 3 has a major protection and easier living with the handchecking rule...

I didn't mean to specifically call out Dirk as much as I meant to tie my observation into my earlier point about Dirk's dominant play.

That said, while you're right that Manu's and Tony's careers may be lengthened by the hand-check rule, they have also been forced to play down some of their defensive skill to the detriment of their (and the NBA's) overall game, IMO. They are also both players who found ways to score despite contact well before the rule was instituted. Perhaps Dirk has, too, but I have seen less evidence for that, and I might go so far as to say that (from what I've seen over the years) contact has a habit of getting into his head and making him a less effective player.

Spurs Brazil
04-19-2010, 02:48 PM
“I thought we had a lot of guys who played like dogs,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, and it’s no secret who he thought was woofing the loudest. They traded for Jefferson in the offseason, and so far he has delivered only a luxury-tax bill.

SOFT Jefferson needs to give us something.

The Spurs will need to locate a spark somewhere, and they don’t have many options. From Jaren Jackson to Stephen Jackson to Steve Kerr to Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry, they won championships by finding role players who could contribute under pressure. They thought they had another before last season’s playoffs exposed Roger Mason’s limitations.

And Pop rewarded this choker with 10 minutes yerterday.

Drachen
04-19-2010, 02:50 PM
why not go with the PHX gameplan for the Mavs. Let Amare (Dirk) go absolutely crazy, and contain everyone else, especially Nash (Kidd).

spurs10
04-19-2010, 03:18 PM

Dirk's career has been twelve years of not getting it done, in the end. Yes, he had a great game last night and is not easy to contain one on one for the Spurs. Everything in Ludden's article is right, but we aren't going to play that sloppy again in this series. Get well Hill and get your head right RJ! It's never a good thing to piss off a hungry bear, no matter how loaded you think you are.:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:They played the best game of their lives,
us not so much and they won by 6.

Shank
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Dirk's career has been twelve years of not getting it done, in the end. Yes, he had a great game last night and is not easy to contain one on one for the Spurs. Everything in Ludden's article is right, but we aren't going to play that sloppy again in this series. Get well Hill and get your head right RJ! It's never a good thing to piss off a hungry bear, no matter how loaded you think you are.:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:They played the best game of their lives,
us not so much and they won by 6.

They placed the best game of their lives? How so?

DubMcDub
04-19-2010, 03:25 PM
You guys keep saying "just double him" like Pop hasn't tried that before. He tried it all last year in the playoffs when the Mavs had jack shit besides Dirk, and it didn't work. Now the Mavs have a much better roster around Dirk, so it's certainly not going to work.

Hell, Pop even tried it in the fourth quarter last night several times, and it didn't work. Those were some of the easiest shots the Mavs got all night when the ball rotated away from Dirk.

DubMcDub
04-19-2010, 03:26 PM
They placed the best game of their lives? How so?

:lol I know, right? I love how shooting 47.3% and letting the other team shoot 50% is somehow "the game of the Mavs' lives." You could argue that not a single player besides Dirk even played above average.

vanvannen
04-19-2010, 03:31 PM
If Dirk plays 3 more games like last night, he damn right deserves to kick the Spurs out of the playoffs. Hell, he deserves to get the freaking ring!

crc21209
04-19-2010, 03:54 PM
:lol I know, right? I love how shooting 47.3% and letting the other team shoot 50% is somehow "the game of the Mavs' lives." You could argue that not a single player besides Dirk even played above average.

Caron Butler was nailing 3's after dancing around with the ball...are you kidding me?

badfish22
04-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Considering Butler only made one 3 I wouldn't say he was nailing 3's

crc21209
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Considering Butler only made one 3 I wouldn't say he was nailing 3's

The guy is a career 31% 3 point shooter and is shooting 29% on them for the year...

DubMcDub
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Caron Butler was nailing 3's after dancing around with the ball...are you kidding me?

He made one three. He shot 8-19 (42%). He had 5 turnovers.

Yeah, you're right, he played the BEST GAME EVER.

DubMcDub
04-19-2010, 04:03 PM
The guy is a career 31% 3 point shooter and is shooting 29% on them for the year...

And he shot 33% on them (1-3) last night. 2-4% above average = game of his life? :lol:lol:lol

badfish22
04-19-2010, 04:03 PM

and he shot 33% last night...

PERFECT GAME!

crc21209
04-19-2010, 04:04 PM
He made one three. He shot 8-19 (42%). He had 5 turnovers.

Yeah, you're right, he played the BEST GAME EVER.

42% is actually a pretty damn good shooting %, did you see Kobe or Durant yesterday? Going 5-15 and 6-20 at one point...now that's pretty bad..

sefant77
04-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Guy is true, Terry definatly played the best game of his life, he wasnt even near his averages...

crc21209
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
And he shot 33% on them (1-3) last night. 2-4% above average = game of his life? :lol:lol:lol

I didnt make the "perfect game of his life" comment, where did you get that shit from? I'm saying you know he played pretty well when he dances back and forth with the ball, and nails a 3 pointer...

DubMcDub
04-19-2010, 04:08 PM
I didnt make the "perfect game of his life" comment, where did you get that shit from? I'm saying you know he played pretty well when he dances back and forth with the ball, and nails a 3 pointer...

"Dances back and forth with the ball" = a few hand-to-hand dribbles in iso on the perimeter while he's sizing up his man. Yeah dude, that's crazy. :lol

And no, you don't "know he played pretty well" on the basis of one three. That's ridiculous. He played fine, had a nice little game. He did not play superbly or significantly above his average in any way. If you think otherwise, you've got something coming.

spurs10
04-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Dirk shot @ 95% fg and 100% ft's...not the best of his playoff career? Kidd almost a triple double? When have Butler and Haywood played better in anything that mattered?

Shank
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Dirk shot @ 95% fg and 100% ft's...not the best of his playoff career? Kidd almost a triple double? When have Butler and Haywood played better in anything that mattered?

Dirk has made 80+ fts in a row.
Kidd triple-doubles are a suprise to you?
Butler had a good game and will continue to be aggressive.
Haywood was suitable. I'd worry more about the Mavs ability to play a real center for all 48 minutes with Haywood and Dampier combined.

Capt Bringdown
04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Nowitzki has already taken a lot from these Spurs. He won last year’s series with 31 points in Game 5, he won the teams’ epic 2006 series with 37 points in Game 7 and he very well could have won the 2003 series had he not missed the final three games with an injured left knee. The Spurs have never had an answer for him, and they don’t look much closer to finding one now.

I don't understand this. Why can other teams beat Dirk and Mavs, but the Spurs can't?
I guess Dirk deserves the title of ultimate Spurs Killer even more than Kobe.

Bob Lanier
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Jefferson made one shot in 32 minutes and now looks just as indecisive on the court as he did at the altar eight months ago.
:lol

duncan228
04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Nowitzki expects defensive adjustments from Spurs in Game 2 (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042010dnspomavslede.263b4b8aa.html)
By Brandon George / The Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki gave San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich all the credit in the world for being a defensive wizard before the team’s best-of-7 first-round playoff series started.

But Nowitzki wasted little time Sunday in Game 1 of making a mockery of his own words. The first three quarters, the Spurs tried to defend Nowitzki primarily one-on-one. Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner couldn’t even slow Nowitzki as he scored 32 of his game-high 36 points by the start of the fourth quarter.

In the fourth, the Spurs started sending double-teams Nowitzki’s way and he became more of a distributor than a scorer. Nowitzki said Monday that he expects Popovich to show him several different looks in Game 2 on Wednesday.

“You anticipate adjustments, but the mindset doesn’t change,” Nowitzki said. “If they’re going to double-team me more and swarm me more like they did in the fourth quarter … I have to make the right play.”

That means making the right pass. He did that well late in Sunday’s 100-94 victory, and Caron Butler and Jason Kidd continued to knock down shots.

When the Spurs weren’t forcing Nowitzki to pass, he made 12 of 14 shots.

Nowitzki said that Popovich won’t surprise him Wednesday.

“He has thrown everything at me the last 10 years we’ve been competing against each other,” Nowitzki said. “[He’s guarded] me with smalls, switching on pick-and-rolls, fronting me as soon as I walk across half court, double-teaming me with three guys and playing me one-on-one. There’s not much I haven’t seen yet.”

Butler said the Mavericks worked some Monday in practice on adjusting to Spurs’ double-teams, especially if Nowitzki is swarmed.

“Where is the shot going to come from, what to expect,” Butler said. “We’ll be prepared.”

Ice009
04-19-2010, 11:37 PM
The problem is the fouls we are using on Dirk are soft.

I said in the game thread we need more bruisers like Tony Massenburg. I really think if he wasn't injured and the Spurs were able to get him back in 2006 he would have made a different with his toughness in that Mavs series.

Tony would foul Dirk 6 times, but they would be 6 of the hardest fouls you've seen and the opposing player would definitely feel it.

If the Spurs are going to foul they can't keep doing this soft ass pussy fouls. If you gotta foul, foul hard, but no dirty stuff. I want the Spurs to play physical defense.

I've had enough of Bonner. Larry Bird said he was insulted when he had a white guy defending him ;). I am pretty sure that was the quote about Bird.

kaji157
04-20-2010, 01:42 AM
The Spurs need to be very phisycal during the first and fourth quarter. The Mavs are going to get all the calls anyways so by going hard in the first you might get in their heads, and in teh fourth you make them work for their fouls. When Dirk fades away i expect the Spur guarding him to brake his arms if he is going for a foul, and if he is going to risk touching dirk with their bodies, they better land on him.

Winehole23
04-20-2010, 03:04 AM

It's kinda dismaying seeing how pussified the game has gotten since then.It's different for sure, but there's a lot more $$$ invested in players than say, 20 years ago, and the players themselves are a bit more athletic. The NFL has been moving steadily in the same direction over the same time frame. Refs don't swallow their whistles in the playoffs as much as they once did.

Winehole23
04-20-2010, 03:04 AM
The shallow thing to say would be that the Detroit Pistons ruined it for us all in the late 1980's, but it's probably a little more complex than that.

ezau
04-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Nowitzki expects defensive adjustments from Spurs in Game 2 (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042010dnspomavslede.263b4b8aa.html)
By Brandon George / The Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki gave San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich all the credit in the world for being a defensive wizard before the team’s best-of-7 first-round playoff series started.

But Nowitzki wasted little time Sunday in Game 1 of making a mockery of his own words. The first three quarters, the Spurs tried to defend Nowitzki primarily one-on-one. Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner couldn’t even slow Nowitzki as he scored 32 of his game-high 36 points by the start of the fourth quarter.

In the fourth, the Spurs started sending double-teams Nowitzki’s way and he became more of a distributor than a scorer. Nowitzki said Monday that he expects Popovich to show him several different looks in Game 2 on Wednesday.

“You anticipate adjustments, but the mindset doesn’t change,” Nowitzki said. “If they’re going to double-team me more and swarm me more like they did in the fourth quarter … I have to make the right play.”

That means making the right pass. He did that well late in Sunday’s 100-94 victory, and Caron Butler and Jason Kidd continued to knock down shots.

When the Spurs weren’t forcing Nowitzki to pass, he made 12 of 14 shots.

Nowitzki said that Popovich won’t surprise him Wednesday.

“He has thrown everything at me the last 10 years we’ve been competing against each other,” Nowitzki said. “[He’s guarded] me with smalls, switching on pick-and-rolls, fronting me as soon as I walk across half court, double-teaming me with three guys and playing me one-on-one. There’s not much I haven’t seen yet.”

Butler said the Mavericks worked some Monday in practice on adjusting to Spurs’ double-teams, especially if Nowitzki is swarmed.

“Where is the shot going to come from, what to expect,” Butler said. “We’ll be prepared.”

Pop has thrown everything at him and he still cannot win a championship. Dirk will go down as the greatest ringless go-to-guy in history. Stay hungry faggots