PDA

View Full Version : Three things that pop should change for game 2.

chasky
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
1- Tim has to defend Dirk.
2- More game time for Blair.
3- Less game time for Mason.

bigdog
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Play Temple.
No game time for Mason.
and.....no game time for Mason.

Shank
04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
1. You want Tim to foul out? They'll dump it to Dirk high and he'll find a way around Duncan.
2. Haywood bested Blair last night. There might not be a place for Blair in this series.
3. If Hill is gimpy, how do the Spurs fare without Mason? Temple?

TimDunkem
04-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Temple can't even play right? He was signed after March 1st?

bigdog
04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Temple can't even play right? He was signed after March 1st?

I would assume he could play. He was suited up for Game 1.

admiralsnackbar
04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd like to see more of Blair, too... but that would mean less Duncan. They just don't complement each other, unfortunately.

Based on his performance in the last game of the season, if we get down 2, I'd be interested in sitting Tim and giving Blair a quarter or more to see if he can successfully confuse the Mavs' game-plan and deliver a us lead.

elbamba
04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
In Blair's limited minutes he gave up two baskets to Haywood, through a monster dunk down on Dirk and boxed out Haywood on several plays. There is a place for Blair if Pop takes his head out of his ass. Last year he waited until it was too late to play Hill. I hope he doesn't make the same mistake.

Fpoonsie
04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
3. If Hill is gimpy, how do the Spurs fare without Mason? Temple?

At this point, with the way Mason's playing, you pretty much have to. If Temple goes "rookie in the playoffs" on us right out of the gate, we pull him.

Fpoonsie
04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see more of Blair, too... but that would mean less Duncan. They just don't complement each other, unfortunately.

Based on his performance in the last game of the season, if we get down 2, I'd be interested in sitting Tim and giving Blair a quarter or more to see if he can successfully confuse the Mavs' game-plan and deliver a us lead.

Yeah. My initial thought was Pop pulled Blair after picking up a couple quick fouls, but then again, EVERYONE was picking up fouls pretty steadily, so why not give Blair another go.

And, as someone already alluded to, that dunk last night was BEASTLY.

Hell, so was Timmy's. It's been a while since I've seen him rise up over someone.

...:depressed

MadGymSkillz
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I agree with Blair getting more time, but defensively I would like to see him get the opportunity to guard Dirk.

flacura
04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
What about playing Ian in the rotation to defend Haywood and to put some big man in the paint.

No one can defend reallly good at Dirk, he is too big, we could try Tim but he might lose some power for the offensive

Mason out for the rest of the season, pleeeeeease

beachwood
04-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Make Dirk play defense.

flacura
04-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Against who? Dice? :bang

Make Dirk play defense.

fraga
04-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Someone please wake up Jefferson already...

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-19-2010, 12:06 PM
1. Take a cue from other military style leaders, execute Mason in front of Jefferson as an example that this organization will not tolerate failure.
2. Blair's brain into Ian's body. It will work. I saw it in a movie.
3. Play Temple. What's the worst that can happen?

RiverwalkParade
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Hope to see Temple in Game 2, even if Hill plays.
Let Blair take a shot at defending Dirk.
Space the damn floor and move the ball. They were running doubles at ball handlers all night long.
Double Butler in the post, he was killing us below the FT line all night.

Other than that, we should win Game 2.

We played scared, were tentative and uncertain, and tried to force too many bad passes.

fraga
04-19-2010, 12:12 PM
You put Blair on Dirk and he'll be fouled out by the first half...

Fpoonsie
04-19-2010, 12:16 PM
1. Take a cue from other military style leaders, execute Mason in front of Jefferson as an example that this organization will not tolerate failure.

It's almost become cliche on ST to :lmao at sfie's quips, but goddamn. That first one had me :rollin

StoneBuddha
04-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Wow, good stuff! :lol

I also agree with playing Temple actually. Who do you have more confidence hitting an open 3 at this point, Temple or Mason? Besides, we know Mason is going to suck it, at least, Temple is a wildcard.

admiralsnackbar
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Temple is a wildcard.

He also hasn't been scouted as extensively by the Dallas coaches, so he may be able to sneak some points past players who haven't studied his tendencies.

jestersmash
04-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Pack it in, spurs are getting swept 4-0.

lefty
04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Pack it in, spurs are getting swept 4-0.
Swept 4-0?

Are you sure they wont be swept 4-1?

sefant77
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM

Duncan out on the perimeter against Dirk, perfect

Duncan on Dirk so Blair on Haywood or Damp? Perfect. Or the tiny rookie Blsir on Dirk?

in2deep
04-19-2010, 01:06 PM
So put Duncan in foul trouble AND open a whole in the paint?? fuck no

beachwood
04-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Against who? Dice? :bang

It's called coming up with a game plan; a strategy. You ever notice how the Mavs rub Parker off onto guarding Dirk every once in a while? That's not by coincidence. It's by design.

Pop needs to create something where Dirk has to guard Manu, TP or TD. Make him work on defense and tire him up.

NFGIII
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
1. Clean up the TO's and the sloppy play we witnessed in game 1. That kept the Mavs in the game. 11 TOs for 17 pts in the first half of game 1. What a gift the Spurs gave them.

2. Temple in place of Hill if he can't go. TP and RJ have no chemistry and their styles of play aren't very complementary. Those two need to play the lowest possible amount of minutes together. As Fpoonsie atated if that doesn't work then he can always be puuled but under no circumstances play Mason, unless Pop is going to pull the foul Damp act.

3. Concentrate on Kidd and Butler and stop worrying about Dirk. He will get his points but letting the other two play their style of game will lead to no good.

T2150
04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
High PnR with Gino and Dirk's man so Gino can undress Dirk and make him work on D

Unleash Blair: by unleash I mean let him beast the way he has shown he can- he's great with Gino on that high PnR... but let him really beast with a PO tomahawk style FOUL/HACK on Dirk while he is shooting. Hell, if Dirk is going to the line with the phantom BS calls he's getting let him earn his FTs with a little gorilla ball. Let's see how brazen he is after a little PO love... a little Juwan style on DA foul, Bark on anybody circa '88, or just anything to knock that smirk off that Bitch dirk's face... He's going to the line no matter what. Let him go for a real freakin' reason.

Shank
04-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Mavs had a high number of turnovers themselves, including that mess to start the 3rd.

And Blair playing next to Duncan isn't favorable. It just hasn't worked like you'd hope.

RiverwalkParade
04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
blair on Dirk works for two reasons, his wingspan will corral Dirk and disrupt his dribble therefore making him a spot up shooter (less to worry about on D-rotations this way)

second, if he's going to foul, Blair can afford to foul. He'll only get about 15 minutes in the game anyway, so foul away and make them count.

lefty
04-19-2010, 01:40 PM
We can all sit here and discuss what went wrong, and what adjustrments Pop should make.

The real question is: is Pop going to make those changes? The man is so stubborn.

Dont be surprised if we see the same Bogans-RMJ-Bonner crap

sefant77
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
blair on Dirk works for two reasons, his wingspan will corral Dirk and disrupt his dribble therefore making him a spot up shooter (less to worry about on D-rotations this way)

second, if he's going to foul, Blair can afford to foul. He'll only get about 15 minutes in the game anyway, so foul away and make them count.

So Pop should go to the undersized rookie and tell him to go against the Dirk the franchise couldnt stop the last decade?

Poor guy...

Duncan/Blair is just a bad matchup against Dampwood/Dirk. Either of them will get burned too.

RiverwalkParade
04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
So Pop should go to the undersized rookie and tell him to go against the Dirk the franchise couldnt stop the last decade?

Poor guy...

Duncan/Blair is just a bad matchup against Dampwood/Dirk. Either of them will get burned too.

Yes, let the undersized rookie put those oversized arms to work. Blair's length allows him to keep Dirk from driving to the basket, thus keeping other defenders at home on their man. Dirk can spot up and hit all day long, hell he can score fifty, but if that means we don't put him on the line and the other players stand around and watch, then I am for it.

Mixability
04-19-2010, 02:03 PM
1. Bonners panties

KuntryDude
04-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Listen, let Dirk score his 40 per night. But you absolutely have to shut down everyone else. That's how we always beat up on the Suns right? Let Amare get his. No answer for him anyway, but shut down the rest of the scrubs. You can't allow Dirk to get 30+ and another player to score almost 30 and expect to win. It kills me to see us allow that sad-ass, woman-beating J Kidd score double figures on any night. Oh, hell no.

PDXSpursFan
04-19-2010, 02:46 PM
No turnovers
No small ball
No Mason or Bogans

baseline bum
04-19-2010, 02:52 PM

No chance. Duncan would be worn ragged getting bodied by Haywood and Dampier on one end and then having to chase Dirk around on the other. He's not likely to stay in front of him without racking up fouls if he's matched up on Dirk for long stretches.

This one seems pretty clear. Blair will get lit up by Nowitzki as badly as Bonner, but at least he'll grab a rebound and occasionally put the ball in the hole.

3- Less game time for Mason.

I'd prefer that to read ``no game time for Mason''. Temple can't be any worse.