PDA

View Full Version : Would The Spurs Have Been Better Off As The 8th Seed?

ohmwrecker
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Apparently Dirk Nowitzski turns into Larry Bird everytime he plays the Spurs in the playoffs. The Lakers are putting away the Thunder, but not looking that great doing it . . . I can't help thinking we could've taken out LA in the first round. Am I crazy?

Amarelooms
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Spurs seemed eager to play the Mavs...not sure why...if I were Pop I would have wanted to avoid the Mavs over any other team...even the Lakers

:elephant

Brodels
04-19-2010, 12:02 PM
It could be, but the Spurs would likely have ended up playing the Mavs in the end, so I'm not sure it matters much.

ohmwrecker
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
It could be, but the Spurs would likely have ended up playing the Mavs in the end, so I'm not sure it matters much.

Confidence, intimidation and momentum.
By the way, I still believe the Spurs can take the Mavs depending on how we respond in game 2. I'm just thinking about the path we are taking.

SenorSpur
04-19-2010, 12:12 PM
The Spurs would've been better served by missing the playoffs alltogether.

Last year, even though the Spurs were humbled by the Mavs in 5 games, the fallback excuse we could say, "yeah, but Manu was out." If the Spurs bow out again in 5 games or less, what will be the excuse this time?

There WILL come a point that we will all have to admit that the Mavs are simply the better team and the Spurs are overmatched and, god help us, are just a mediocre team. As much as I hate to admit it, this was painfully evident to me as I watched the game courtside.

ohmwrecker
04-19-2010, 12:15 PM
It's only game 1 . . .

easy7
04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Just one game, anything can happen, that is why the games are played. Don't give the title to the mavs just yet.

SenorSpur
04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Anyone check the body language of this team and the post-game quotes?

dbreiden83080
04-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Mavs are very good this year

Spurs likely would have had to play them eventually..

Shaolin-Style
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM
I've always hated playing the mavs. Dirk does go nuts on us and they seem to get to the line a whole lot too.

I'd much rather have played the lakers.

Mixability
04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
We picked our poison. Lakers on a down slide wouldve been a better option though. But Kobe loves the challenge that the Spurs give too.

coyotes_geek
04-19-2010, 01:51 PM
They'd have been better off beating the freaking nets and being the 6th seed, but I digress.............

AFBlue
04-19-2010, 01:51 PM
If the Spurs can't beat the Mavs, they can't beat the Lakers.

Mixability
04-19-2010, 01:58 PM
As an elite team, the Spurs are a team that ANYONE plays extra hard against. Mavs, Lakers, even the fucking TWolves would leave it all on the floor.

NFGIII
04-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Tough call. But in prior threads I had advocated that getting the LAL in the first round would be to our benefit. At the time I thought that Bynum would be rusty - didn't look that way against the Thunder - and Kobe is off and hurt. What better time than get them early? But if we opened in LA like we did in DAllas it probably wouldn't have matter. The problem isn't Dirk or Kobe but the Spurs. Their play against Dallas was sloppy and careless. Manu and TD had IIRC 11 TOs between them. TD lost passes deep in the paint while Manu was throwing passes to who knows or at least it seemed that way at the time. An unfocused team in the POs is toast. They clawed their way back in the second half but just couldn't get it done. Take care of the ball in the first half and things might/most likely would have turned out differently.

thispego
04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
yes. mavs are our wrost possible matchup

AFBlue
04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
yes. mavs are our wrost possible matchup

I'd say it's pretty much equal...

Spurs have no answer for Dirk or Kobe
Spurs have individual matchup issues with Butler or Odom
Spurs don't have size to compete with Haywood/Damp or Gasol/Bynum

Each has veteran leadership in the backcourt (Kidd or Fisher) backed by young talent (Beaubois/Barea or Farmar/Brown).

And each has an x-factor (Terry or Artest).

As I said before, if the Spurs can't beat the Mavs they wouldn't have beaten the Lakers, who are arguably better defensively (when motivated) with more overall talent.

scottspurs
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
No, the Lakers are the defending champs. The mavs were the pretend 2006 champions.

Bukefal
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM
would... would... would.... why even think about it. It's irrelevant really.

We got the mavs, now we need to face this. Besides even if we played the lakers and beat them, we still would have faced the mavs, as you say when "nowitzki turns into larry bird" and it would still be the same.

It doesnt matter who we play, its not about our opponents, its about us. If we are championship material, then it doesnt matter who we play. We will be championship material against all of our opponents.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
The Lakers looked pretty damn good, especially defensively. Pop's small lineups got killed by the Mavs, and the Spurs actually had a chance to win the game if they'd taken better care of the ball. Even down by a game, I'd rather have the Mavs than the Lakers.

ohmwrecker
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
would... would... would.... why even think about it. It's irrelevant really.
Well, I thought we could use a break from the windfall of completely relevant threads that are populating the forum. Those LOL trashtalk and trade or draft threads are so relevant.

Bukefal
04-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Well, I thought we could use a break from the windfall of completely relevant threads that are populating the forum. Those LOL trashtalk and trade or draft threads are so relevant.

I did not meant it like that nor am I talking about other threads. Im just thinking that it doesnt matter who we play and what could have been.

Capt Bringdown
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Pick your poision, we're incapable of beating either and are well on our way to another 1st round exit.

Killakobe81
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Like most said here ... if beating the Lakers is your hope ...then you already are toast. Is this what the spurs have reverted to hoping to AVOID the Mavs?

If you ant beat the Mavs you cant win a title much less the Lakers. I get that matchups do come in to play and in some ways the spurs match up better with Lakers ...BUT lets say Mavs win in 5 again and you take lakers to 6 what have you really gained?

EXCEPT you will have to listen to the Laker trolls instead of the Mavs ones ....

I know it's tough ...but if you cant win a title anyway ...just go down valiantly in defeat... so the FO realizes a shakeup is needed.

A first round upset (though short-term gratifying) is fool's gold.

IF we cant win a title (lakers) I hope we lose in WCF (or 2nd round) so that we can shakeup the bench and PG spots ...if we make finals we will only make minor adjustments ...

If we win it all only minor ones as well ...but at least THEN THAT would make sense and be worth losing NEXT year ...