PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson Has Yet to Pay Off for Spurs

duncan228
04-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Jefferson Has Yet to Pay Off for Spurs (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/sports/basketball/20spurs.html)
By Jonathan Abrams
The New York Times

Shortly before his playoff debut with the San Antonio Spurs, Richard Jefferson discussed his newfound serenity after a bumpy introduction to Spurs basketball. A critical factor, he said, was Coach Gregg Popovich’s recent decision to allow him to play the entire first quarter.

As has been the case most of Jefferson’s first year with the Spurs, the decision did not go as planned in Game 1 on Sunday against the Dallas Mavericks. Jefferson’s two quick fouls forced him to the sideline two minutes into the game. He did not find the continuity he desired in his game, finishing with 4 points in 32 minutes during San Antonio’s 100-94 loss to the Mavericks.

“I think we’ve got to have a few more people step up and play worth a damn,” Popovich lamented. “I thought we had a lot of guys that played like dogs.”

Popovich did not single out Jefferson. His box score was a clear indictment.

“You give them all the credit, but there wasn’t too much positive,” Jefferson said.

Last summer, several N.B.A. teams, made significant acquisitions. The Cleveland Cavaliers traded for Shaquille O’Neal, the Boston Celtics signed Rasheed Wallace, the Orlando Magic landed Vince Carter and the Los Angeles Lakers brought in Ron Artest. The richest teams got richer, and the deals were expected to keep the league’s powers in their elite position.

But injuries, unfamiliarity with teammates, simple disregard or some other combination has made the assimilation process take longer than expected.

“They all had to adjust, especially Jefferson and Artest going from second or third options in the years they just played recently to being a fourth option,” Jeff Van Gundy, the ESPN analyst and former N.B.A. coach, said. “That’s a difficult change.”

Jefferson’s situation is particularly vexing. Recently at this time of year, the question has arisen whether it is the end of the Spurs’ dominance in the Western Conference. Jefferson, who is the youngest of the major off-season acquisitions at 29 years old, represents the Spurs’ attempt to cheat the rebuilding process while extending the Tim Duncan era.

“It just hasn’t worked out as well as he would have liked, and for me it is puzzling,” said Van Gundy, who categorized Jefferson’s shot as off. “I thought when the trade went down, it would work really well.”

By trading for Jefferson, the Spurs briefly ditched their organizational mind-set. They tended to draft Mensa smart and built their core by landing Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. They surrounded the core with role players who have high character, first Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry and Michael Finley and now George Hill, Roger Mason and Matt Bonner.

With Jefferson, whom the Milwaukee Bucks traded in a salary dump, the Spurs are paying the luxury tax for the first time (Jefferson is set to make $15.2 million next season if he does not opt out of his contract). He is the most significant acquisition through trade or free agency that the Spurs have made during Duncan’s tenure.

At the season’s onset, Jefferson, who has averaged more than 22 points a game twice in his nine-year career, struggled in the Spurs’ pick-and-roll offense. His scoring is not based on creating his own shot, but is predicated on movement.

“That’s not my game,” Jefferson said. “I struggle if that’s what you want me to do. But that’s not something that I can’t improve and can’t work on, but it’s just not typically something I’ve been expected to do.”

The offensive struggles affected Jefferson’s defense and rebounding, which did not endear him to Popovich.

This was Popovich’s most trying season in a long while. He has tried to integrate new players while his backcourt stars were sidelined. Ginobili was injured, came off the bench, then started. Parker started, was injured and now comes off the bench.

The Spurs teetered near the bottom of a crowded playoff hunt and came together by winning eight of their last 11 games (excluding the finale against Dallas when their core rested), setting up the third playoff draw against the Mavericks in five years.

“He just started to concentrate on a couple of things,” Popovich said of Jefferson. “One of them was rebounding and the other was not just settling for jump shots, but getting to the rim, and he’s done both those things real well over the last part of the season.”

Jefferson averaged 12.3 points, the fewest since his rookie season with the Nets in 2001-2. But he pointed out that his shooting percentage of 46.7 was his highest since 2005-6.

“You look at Ron Artest coming into L.A., what he’s coming into,” Jefferson said. “He’s coming into Pau Gasol. He’s coming into a team that won a championship and people expect him to have some type of impact like he was going to be a dominant player in that group.

“No. He’s going to come in there and try to fit in, and knowing some people in the organization and some of the players in that team, Ron viewed it as: ‘Hey, listen, I’m here to come and take some pressure off, do this, do that. I’m not coming here trying to average as many points as I averaged in Houston.’ That doesn’t make sense. Not with all of the players they have. And I look at it the same way.”

He concluded by saying, “It’s how we’re playing going into the playoffs versus how we played all year long.”

During the game, Dirk Nowitzki scorched San Antonio for 36 points, while Jefferson’s presence was hardly felt. He, and the Spurs, may be back at the beginning, at a time when the end of dominance may be near.

tdunk21
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
15 mil or whatever down the drain so far...

weebo
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Jefferson needs to forget about everything and just play hard. If he does that, whatever happens will happen. He can't think about trying to live up to the trade that brought him here.

tdunk21
04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
but i am sure if jefferson pays real hard no one can beat the spurs....

Avitus1
04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
The sky is blue, water is wet....

diego
04-19-2010, 10:53 PM
the last couple months jefferson was winning me over, when he attacks the basket and makes freethrows he contributes a lot... the problem is he hardly does it. I still have hope he may yet pan out, if only he doesnt take more than a couple days to do it :lol

DJ Mbenga
04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
at this point im probably more valuable than jefferson.

manu the best
04-19-2010, 11:47 PM
.. he showed no will the last game .. its not only offence he can also contribute on the defensive end .. hopefully he can come out strong in game 2 and prove people wrong ..

:lobt2: BELIEVE :lobt2:

Baseline
04-19-2010, 11:52 PM
RJ does not deserve 100% of the blame. Popovich deserves the Lion's share of it.

Popovich has the most athletic 3 he's every had, yet he can't get anything for him in the offense.

If you're going to bring in a guy who makes 14+ million a year, you might want to have a clue how to use him.

manu the best
04-19-2010, 11:55 PM
rj does not deserve 100% of the blame. Popovich deserves the lion's share of it.

Popovich has the most athletic 3 he's every had, yet he can't get anything for him in the offense.

If you're going to bring in a guy who makes 14+ million a year, you might want to have a clue how to use him.

+1

Cant_Be_Faded
04-20-2010, 12:15 AM
yet another great non original point by duncan233304444

UnWantedTheory
04-20-2010, 12:31 AM
^^^^huh???

DesignatedT
04-20-2010, 12:34 AM
rj is garbage.

crc21209
04-20-2010, 12:42 AM
One game of the Playoffs and it's his fault already? I dunno...if you ask me...we have bigger problems than RJ not doing a damn thing. Like Dirk going bananas on us and not having anyone to guard him, and Mason getting minutes in the Playoffs for this team.

baseline bum
04-20-2010, 12:56 AM
One full season and one playoff game shows Dick is at fault for a shitty Spurs year.

bigdog
04-20-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm more disappointed that Mason actually gets to wear a damn jersey for this team than a 15 million dollar salary paid to RJ, who has shown why the Spurs brought him here in stretches this season. Sure, his defense isn't where it used to be, but the idea that Pop/Parker has of making him a jumpshooter is ridiculous. I've seen numerous times where Manu or Parker have RJ cutting wide open in the lane and they don't even think about passing him the ball. Sure, a lot of the blame is on RJ sometimes for not trying hard, but it's not completely his fault.

SpursTillTheEnd
04-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Jefferson is like taking a doo doo, you spend money on spray and you think its working but 5 mintues later it wears off and the restroom still stinks. Come on rj step it up for the rest of the series

SenorSpur
04-20-2010, 08:08 AM
RJ does not deserve 100% of the blame. Popovich deserves the Lion's share of it.

+2.

Let's not forget that Hedo Turkoglu came through here in 2004. A player who had ball-handling and playmaking skills. A player who was more than just a spot-up shooter. What happened? Pop forced him into a role as a spot-up shooter. As a result, his confidence waned and he failed miserably. Was he a bad player? No. He just wasn't a good fit here. Mainly because the Spurs brass didn't take advantage of what he did best.

Pop could have LeBron James and he probably would make him stand in the corner and shoot 3's. This isn't meant to rag on the greatness of Pop, as a head coach. Sometimes a player with unique set of talent and skills should be granted some freedom and put in position to best utilize her talent. Manu is a prime example, though he still plays within the system, he is afforded a large degree of improvisational freedom.

Hey, we know the Spurs system works and that it's a proven system that requires specific knoweldge, familiarization and certain type of players to execute it. Therefore, what is the point of bringing in players that aren't a natural fit? Players that have been accustomed to larger roles in more free-flowing offenses?

sa_butta
04-20-2010, 08:42 AM
I can't understand why he would not be playing his ass off being that he is "looking for more money with another team" after this season.

dbreiden83080
04-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Jefferson has proven himself to be incredibly mentally weak..

Spurminator
04-20-2010, 10:05 AM
The New York Times is piling on now? If RJ doesn't come out mad on Wednesday, he's not human.

EricB
04-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I see the newpunching bag has gone from finley to Jefferson...

in2deep
04-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Jefferson needs to forget about everything and just play hard. If he does that, whatever happens will happen. He can't think about trying to live up to the trade that brought him here.

agree. Just play basketball Dick