PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Blazers hope to sign Camby

tlongII
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5114282

The Portland Trail Blazers are closing in on securing a contract extension for Marcus Camby, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

Sources said Monday that the two sides had already been negotiating toward a new deal that would keep Camby off the free-agent market this summer.

One source said that the looming deal is likely span two years in excess of $20 million.

Camby teamed with Andre Miller to spark the Blazers to a 105-100 victory Sunday night over the third-seeded Phoenix Suns.

Portland acquired Camby before the trading deadline from the Los Angeles Clippers after losing centers Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla to season-ending knee injuries.

Although the Blazers remain hopeful that Oden can still have a productive career after missing the bulk of two of his first three NBA seasons, they have been pleased with Camby's immediate impact. According to sources, they're determined to lock him up before has the chance to become a free agent July 1.

One source said Monday that the Blazers have been hopeful of reaching an extension with Camby since acquiring him from the Clippers.

In Sunday's series opener in Phoenix, Camby frustrated All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire, who was one of the league's most feared offensive forces after the All-Star break. Playing on an ankle he rolled in practice just a day earlier, Camby amassed 17 rebounds and three blocked shots, overshadowing two missed free throws and a missed dunk in crunch time.

"He's a long guy and does an excellent job of blocking shots," Suns coach Alvin Gentry after the defeat. "So Amare is going to have to step it up and find a way to score for us, and we've got to get him the ball in a good location."

The Blazers closed the regular season on a 16-3 run in games played by Camby, including wins without leading scorer Brandon Roy over the Los Angeles Lakers and Oklahoma City Thunder. Only three of those 19 opponents scored 100 points before Portland opened the postseason by holding Phoenix to 41.8 percent shooting from the field and just four fast-break points.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

lil_penny
04-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Git r' done.

Otaku
04-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Camby + healthy Oden would be soooo nice.

IronMexican
04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Pryz is the odd man out?

DesignatedT
04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
camby will go down with injury right after the contract extension.

SomeCallMeTim
04-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Pryz is the odd man out?

The way his knee snapped, his career would seem to be in doubt.

tlongII
04-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Pryz is the odd man out?

I don't think we can count on Pryz being ready by the start of next season. His career is in jeopardy.

Lars
04-20-2010, 12:35 AM
I hope to god the 2 year 25 million dollar offer is true.

Killakobe81
04-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Why would they rely on Oden and the weakest of his 3 knees ....

JustBlaze
04-20-2010, 01:21 AM
how old is Camby anyways?

duncan228
04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
It's done.

Trail Blazers sign Camby to 2-year extension (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-trailblazers-camby)

Marcus Camby has signed a two-year contract extension with the Portland Trail Blazers.

Terms of the deal were not immediately disclosed Tuesday.

The 6-11, 235-pound center was acquired from the Los Angeles Clippers on Feb. 16 in exchange for Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake. He started 23 regular season games for the Trail Blazers, reinforcing a position depleted by injuries to Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla.

Portland went 17-6 with Camby in the lineup, and the 36-year-old grabbed 17 rebounds Sunday as the Trail Blazers beat Phoenix in Game 1 of their first-round playoff series.

In a statement, general manager Kevin Pritchard said Camby has been a “great fit for us.”

Jeremy
04-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow. I've never heard of such a thing. Signing a player to a contract extension not only in the middle of the playoffs, but in the middle of a series??? Why not let him keep playing for a contract?? I wonder if this will affect his play.

And just because he had one good playoff game and helped them win, they sign him to a big contract until he's 38? What if he starts showing his age say...tonight?

Lukor
04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Thats alot of money for an old center. Dampier is taking notes already.

SomeCallMeTim
04-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Thats alot of money for an old center. Dampier is taking notes already.

how much? article doesn't say.

Camby may be something of a role player, but he's a great role player. definitely underrated at this point.

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 04:28 PM
how much? article doesn't say.

Camby may be something of a role player, but he's a great role player. definitely underrated at this point.

2yr, $21M w/ $5M in playing incentives...not sure if the incentives are included in that figure or additional.

leemajors
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
He weighs 235? Wow.

fo'shizzle
04-20-2010, 05:08 PM
done deal! bye Oden lol

duncan228
04-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Marcus Camby Discusses His Extension With Blazers (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/20/marcus-camby-signs-two-year-extension-with-the-blazers/)
By Brett Pollakoff

The contract extension that Marcus Camby agreed to (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/19/marcus-camby-reportedly-agrees-to-2-year-extension-with-blazers/) on Monday has now become official. Camby signed the two-year extension today, which Jason Quick of The Oregonian reports (http://twitter.com/jwquick/statuses/12532508641) is for $21 million guaranteed, and another $5 million in incentives.

Camby talked about the timing of the deal at this morning's shootaround, and said that his loyalty played a role in getting the talks moving quickly.

"I'm a big loyal guy," Camby said. "I've never had a chance to go into free agency. When I was in New York, I signed an extension there. When my deal was up and I was in Denver, I signed an extension there. Wherever I'm at, I tend to put my all into it -- not just to the city, but also the community. So I'm looking forward to doing some things in the community also."

Camby was asked what he likes about this Blazers team, and what was so appealing that made him agree to stay on with them for another couple of seasons.

"I just like the guys," Camby said. "The guys are young, but these guys work extremely hard every day. And I think the coaching staff we have is great. Being reunited with [Blazers' assistant coach Bill Bayno] again was definitely a big plus. He's a guy I've known since my freshman year in high school. We have that father-son relationship."

Camby is in his 14th season, but is still playing at a very high level. He was a big factor in the Blazers' surprising Game 1 win (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/19/blazers-shut-down-stoudemire-take-game-1-from-suns/) in Phoenix on Sunday, helping to hold Amar'e Stoudemire to just 18 points on 8-of-19 shooting, while grabbing a game-high 17 rebounds and blocking three shots. But as for how long Camby might play beyond the extension, he wasn't quite ready to say.

"I don't know," Camby said. "I always said I'm going to keep playing until I'm not relevant. If I'm not in that lineup, that rotation, then I know it's going to be time for me to hang it up. I can't see myself being the 11th or 12th man, or coming into games on the inactive list in suits or stuff like that. So when it gets to that point, then I know it's time for me to hang it up."

tomtom
04-20-2010, 05:24 PM
A little high imo but good deal nonetheless. I'm salivating just thinking of Oden and Camby clogging up the lanes :drool: haha

04-20-2010, 05:35 PM
good combo when paired up with aldridge, but bad pair with oden. both have no range and play in the paint.

Muser
04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Blazer fans still believe Oden will stay healthy?

tlongII
04-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Blazer fans still believe Oden will stay healthy?

Of course. No reason not to. We will have the best front court in the league next year by far.

duncan228
04-20-2010, 05:55 PM
What Does Marcus Camby’s Extension Mean for Greg Oden? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-whatdoesmarcuscambys)
SportingNews

Perhaps you saw our early morning story that Marcus Camby is close to a two-year, $21-million extension (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/63307/blazers_close_to_working_out_extension_with_camby) with the Blazers. That situation hasn’t changed terribly—they’re still not quite there—but Yahoo!’s Marc Spears has updated (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/12519152572) that the deal now involves $5 million in performance bonuses after the league rejected the first extension agreed to by Camby and the team.

This is an important move for Portland that solidifies their post situation for next year and beyond. Even at 36, Camby remains an excellent rebounder (11.8 per game this season, good enough for second in the league) and shot-blocker (2.0 per game, which put him at fifth in the NBA).

But in clarifying their starting center position, it also casts Greg Oden’s future with the team into serious doubt. Three years ago, Portland GM Kevin Pritchard selected him first-overall with an eye towards multiple championships. Now, it looks like he’ll enter next season—a contract year before restricted free agency—on the bench. (Yes, that’s also the lockout summer, but for now let’s assume that we’ll see a speedy resolution. I’m an optimist like that.)

So what does this mean for Oden? Camby can’t play a ton of minutes at his advanced age, but he would likely remain the team’s primary center in all situations. Oden, then, would be forced to fend for any minutes he can get, which would be even more difficult if the Blazers don’t find a way to move Joel Przybilla (who has a $7.4-million player option for next season) to a team in need of a shot-blocker.

What that means is that Oden will enter free agency as a bench player, not a starter. Some team will likely see fit to treat him like a starter-level talent—when healthy, he still looks pretty impressive—which will force Portland to make a decision about how Oden fits into their future plans with a non-rookie contract.

The Blazers have proven committed to their young core of Oden, Brandon Roy, and LaMarcus Aldridge, maintaining that they’re still the group who will lead them to a championship. To some extent, that’s been Pritchard’s group, and if he’s let go this summer, a personnel change would make sense. Either way, though, Oden leaving town would mark the end of an era in Portland, one that hasn’t yet worked out as well as planned.

However, moving to a new city might actually be in Oden’s best interests. While he’s struggled with injuries, his career is by no means already defined—the raw talent remains whenever he’s able to get on the floor. In Portland, though, he’ll always remind people that he once held promise as the defining big man of a generation, and that the team could have drafted Kevin Durant. With another franchise, he’d have the opportunity for a new start with more realistic expectations.

Camby’s deal doesn’t guarantee that Oden will move on next summer, but it takes us one step closer to it. What once seemed like a dynasty in the making could be over after only four seasons.

tlongII
04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
What Does Marcus Camby’s Extension Mean for Greg Oden? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-whatdoesmarcuscambys)
SportingNews

Perhaps you saw our early morning story that Marcus Camby is close to a two-year, $21-million extension (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/63307/blazers_close_to_working_out_extension_with_camby) with the Blazers. That situation hasn’t changed terribly—they’re still not quite there—but Yahoo!’s Marc Spears has updated (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/12519152572) that the deal now involves $5 million in performance bonuses after the league rejected the first extension agreed to by Camby and the team.

This is an important move for Portland that solidifies their post situation for next year and beyond. Even at 36, Camby remains an excellent rebounder (11.8 per game this season, good enough for second in the league) and shot-blocker (2.0 per game, which put him at fifth in the NBA).

But in clarifying their starting center position, it also casts Greg Oden’s future with the team into serious doubt. Three years ago, Portland GM Kevin Pritchard selected him first-overall with an eye towards multiple championships. Now, it looks like he’ll enter next season—a contract year before restricted free agency—on the bench. (Yes, that’s also the lockout summer, but for now let’s assume that we’ll see a speedy resolution. I’m an optimist like that.)

So what does this mean for Oden? Camby can’t play a ton of minutes at his advanced age, but he would likely remain the team’s primary center in all situations. Oden, then, would be forced to fend for any minutes he can get, which would be even more difficult if the Blazers don’t find a way to move Joel Przybilla (who has a $7.4-million player option for next season) to a team in need of a shot-blocker.

What that means is that Oden will enter free agency as a bench player, not a starter. Some team will likely see fit to treat him like a starter-level talent—when healthy, he still looks pretty impressive—which will force Portland to make a decision about how Oden fits into their future plans with a non-rookie contract.

The Blazers have proven committed to their young core of Oden, Brandon Roy, and LaMarcus Aldridge, maintaining that they’re still the group who will lead them to a championship. To some extent, that’s been Pritchard’s group, and if he’s let go this summer, a personnel change would make sense. Either way, though, Oden leaving town would mark the end of an era in Portland, one that hasn’t yet worked out as well as planned.

However, moving to a new city might actually be in Oden’s best interests. While he’s struggled with injuries, his career is by no means already defined—the raw talent remains whenever he’s able to get on the floor. In Portland, though, he’ll always remind people that he once held promise as the defining big man of a generation, and that the team could have drafted Kevin Durant. With another franchise, he’d have the opportunity for a new start with more realistic expectations.

Camby’s deal doesn’t guarantee that Oden will move on next summer, but it takes us one step closer to it. What once seemed like a dynasty in the making could be over after only four seasons.

This writer is an IDIOT! There has been absolutely NO change in the desire to keep Oden as a Blazer.

Lukor
04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Of course. No reason not to. We will have the best front court in the league next year by far.

Dude Oden is done. He blew out his knee without anyone near him. His knees just can't handle the weight of his body when he jumps and runs up and down the court, he will forever be injury prone.
How many more injuries before the last person realizes this?

Giuseppe
04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Even Bynum:::after Game One he alluded to a "couple of twinches" in the Achilles during the game. Oh, boy. I wonder if Okur would a noticed his twinches if they'd hadn't a shot him up before the game.

SomeCallMeTim
04-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Not unless the Lakers team plane goes down.

DesignatedT
04-20-2010, 07:39 PM
thats a bit much for camby. 21 gauranteed? 2 years? wtf