PDA

View Full Version : Refs To Blame For Garnett Suspension

mogrovejo
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Refs to Blame for Garnett Suspension (http://www.knickerblogger.net/3591/refs-partly-to-blame-for-garnett-suspension.html)
April 19th, 2010 by Mike Kurylo, www.knickerblogger.net (http://www.knickerblogger.net/author/knickerblogger/)

I watched the Game 1 of the Celtics-Heat series at my local bar, and happened to catch Garnett’s elbow live. At the time I turned to my wife and mentioned that he’ll be suspended for the next game. I also had to explain to her who Quentin Richardson was, how important Garnett was to the Celtics, and how the league will review the tape to issue the suspension. Today the league has announced that Garnett won’t be allowed to play in Game 2 (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/news/story?id=5110621), which really isn’t much of a surprise to anyone. However there is one other thing that I noted to my wife. Garnett’s suspension is partially the fault of the referees.

I’m not saying that I condone K.G.’s actions, and I think the league did the (obviously) right thing. However, I think should the front offices rewind the tape a little further, they’ll find something that contributed to the melee. Watch this clip, that shows the action on the court right before the melee began (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzb93d1DGR4). Pierce and Garnett execute the pick & roll while the Heat switch and Udonis Haslem is responsible for guarding Pierce. Haslem’s defensive technique is perfect… for an NFL cornerback bumping a WR off the line of scrimmage. The Heat defender gets his hands into Pierce’s midsection and gives him a hip check altering Pierce’s trajectory.

Haslem’s actions are a clear foul in the NBA, yet the referees failed to make the call. The NBA’s philosophy seems to be to allow the players, not the officials, decide the outcome of the game. By allowing the zebras to swallow their whistles in the most critical moments, the refs actually alter the course of the game much more than if they called it uniformly. In this case allowing for such rough play directly led to Pierce lying prone off the floor. Had the refs made the correct decision and called the foul at the proper moment, Pierce doesn’t end up on the sidelines and Garnett doesn’t throw a frustrated elbow at Richardson.

Physical contact is a part of the game, and getting a foul called on the opponent vindicates the players’ action and allows for them to, for lack of a better term, vent some steam. You can see this by viewing how angry some players get when they feel they were fouled and no call was made. The league did the proper thing by suspending Garnett, but they still have some unfinished business. Referees should be blind to regards of score, location, player, or time. Games should be officiated using the same criteria whether it be the first minute or the last.

mavsfan1000
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
lol Pierce didn't even look like he was touched.

SomeCallMeTim
04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Refs to Blame for Garnett Suspension (http://www.knickerblogger.net/3591/refs-partly-to-blame-for-garnett-suspension.html)
April 19th, 2010 by Mike Kurylo, www.knickerblogger.net (http://www.knickerblogger.net/author/knickerblogger/)

I watched the Game 1 of the Celtics-Heat series at my local bar, and happened to catch Garnett’s elbow live. At the time I turned to my wife and mentioned that he’ll be suspended for the next game. I also had to explain to her who Quentin Richardson was, how important Garnett was to the Celtics, and how the league will review the tape to issue the suspension. Today the league has announced that Garnett won’t be allowed to play in Game 2 (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/news/story?id=5110621), which really isn’t much of a surprise to anyone. However there is one other thing that I noted to my wife. Garnett’s suspension is partially the fault of the referees.

I’m not saying that I condone K.G.’s actions, and I think the league did the (obviously) right thing. However, I think should the front offices rewind the tape a little further, they’ll find something that contributed to the melee. Watch this clip, that shows the action on the court right before the melee began (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzb93d1DGR4). Pierce and Garnett execute the pick & roll while the Heat switch and Udonis Haslem is responsible for guarding Pierce. Haslem’s defensive technique is perfect… for an NFL cornerback bumping a WR off the line of scrimmage. The Heat defender gets his hands into Pierce’s midsection and gives him a hip check altering Pierce’s trajectory.

Haslem’s actions are a clear foul in the NBA, yet the referees failed to make the call. The NBA’s philosophy seems to be to allow the players, not the officials, decide the outcome of the game. By allowing the zebras to swallow their whistles in the most critical moments, the refs actually alter the course of the game much more than if they called it uniformly. In this case allowing for such rough play directly led to Pierce lying prone off the floor. Had the refs made the correct decision and called the foul at the proper moment, Pierce doesn’t end up on the sidelines and Garnett doesn’t throw a frustrated elbow at Richardson.

Physical contact is a part of the game, and getting a foul called on the opponent vindicates the players’ action and allows for them to, for lack of a better term, vent some steam. You can see this by viewing how angry some players get when they feel they were fouled and no call was made. The league did the proper thing by suspending Garnett, but they still have some unfinished business. Referees should be blind to regards of score, location, player, or time. Games should be officiated using the same criteria whether it be the first minute or the last.

Refs to blame for not calling contact coming off a screen, fairly innocuous contact at that?

Talk about a stretch.

I've seen refs let games get out of hand with flagrant fouls, trash talk, and after-the-whistle contact, but wow...

ffadicted
04-19-2010, 11:05 PM
lol Pierce didn't even look like he was touched.

Best shooter in the world

mogrovejo
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Haslem’s defensive technique is perfect… for an NFL cornerback bumping a WR off the line of scrimmage. The Heat defender gets his hands into Pierce’s midsection and gives him a hip check altering Pierce’s trajectory

Yeps.

zzb93d1DGR4

jag
04-19-2010, 11:57 PM
:lmao

redzero
04-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Oh, I get it: if the refs get a call wrong, Garnett gets to elbow people in the face.

itzsoweezee
04-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Lol @ the description of Haslem's contact with Pierce. He barely touched the guy.

ChrisRichards
04-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Paul Pierce and his fake ass is to blame. This guy is known for overreacting and flopping on OFFENSE all the time. Because of his exaggeration, his teammate is now suspended. People hate KG, and they probably have good reasons why, but I always liked KG's character. He brings a lot of entertainment to a game. Paul Pierce and his stupid oscar winning flops does not.

baseline bum
04-20-2010, 12:54 AM
:lmao How dare Haslem make contact in a playoff game?

milkshakeballa
04-20-2010, 01:01 AM
LOLOLOLOL

i swear everytime i watch that video i crack up

after KG elbows him he straight RUNS OUT of the melee....MAKES A BEELINE like the BITCH that he is for the exit

LULZ

Jacob1983
04-20-2010, 01:54 AM
This article is a fail. KG elbowed somebody. When you throw an elbow, you're suppose to get suspended. It doesn't matter if you're KG or if you're play for the Celtics.

LkrFan
04-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Best shooter in the world:lmao

Obstructed_View
04-20-2010, 02:29 AM
So I wonder what frustration is to blame for all the other cheap thuggy shit KG does. Maybe someone will start writing an article about how all the technical fouls he gets aren't his fault either.

timvpimp
04-20-2010, 06:45 AM
yes the refs are to be blamed but not those who whistled that game, not only them in rigorous words. All the refs should be blamed for conniving to KG's bitching over the many years past. No one would have given a shit about the elbowing if it happened a couple seasons ago when he was still a top 3 in this league.

JamStone
04-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Garnett's bitchassness to blame for Garnett's suspension.

LnGrrrR
04-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Garnett's bitchassness to blame for Garnett's suspension.

Agreed. he was the one who ultimately threw the elbow. Did he mean for it to connect? I'm pretty sure he didn't. But that really doesn't matter.

mogrovejo
04-20-2010, 08:00 AM
So I wonder what frustration is to blame for all the other cheap thuggy shit KG does. Maybe someone will start writing an article about how all the technical fouls he gets aren't his fault either.

And the legend of KG as a villain keeps growing. Since when Garnett gets a lot of technical fouls? Are you confusing him with Sheed or something?

mogrovejo
04-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Lol @ the description of Haslem's contact with Pierce. He barely touched the guy.

Are you serious? Have you seen the play?

benefactor
04-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Are you serious? Have you seen the play?
In the context of falling to the ground like he had been hit with a ball bat, yes, Haslem barely touched him.

mogrovejo
04-20-2010, 08:29 AM
In the context of falling to the ground like he had been hit with a ball bat, yes, Haslem barely touched him.

huh? Who's talking about the reason he fell to the ground? The issue here is that Haslem commits a very clear foul.

benefactor
04-20-2010, 08:45 AM
huh? Who's talking about the reason he fell to the ground? The issue here is that Haslem commits a very clear foul.

In this case allowing for such rough play directly led to Pierce lying prone off the floor. Had the refs made the correct decision and called the foul at the proper moment, Pierce doesn’t end up on the sidelines and Garnett doesn’t throw a frustrated elbow at Richardson.
:wakeup

benefactor
04-20-2010, 08:47 AM
One could make an easier case for Pierce causing the elbow instead of the refs.

greensborohill
04-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Oh, I get it: if the refs get a call wrong, Garnett gets to elbow people in the face.

Now you got it!

Muser
04-20-2010, 08:50 AM
This has to be the most retarded thread ever in the history of any internet forum.

DisAsTerBot
04-20-2010, 09:42 AM
so....if the refs make the call, pierce doesn't act like he's hurt?

Dex
04-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2010, 10:22 AM
And the legend of KG as a villain keeps growing. Since when Garnett gets a lot of technical fouls? Are you confusing him with Sheed or something?

I must have. He has far fewer tees than I would have thought, and I made a completely incorrect assumption.

It does lend some weight to the theory that the league thought he was an intense competitor when they were letting him get away with his shit, which led to him thinking he could get away with doing it in a playoff game. Maybe it is the fault of the refs. Surely a hall of flame player can't be expected to make smart decisions on his own.

clambake
04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
you should follow up this thread with another thread that focuses on the redeeming qualities of ben rapesherfurburger.

mogrovejo
04-20-2010, 11:09 AM
I must have. He has far fewer tees than I would have thought, and I made a completely incorrect assumption.

It does lend some weight to the theory that the league thought he was an intense competitor when they were letting him get away with his shit, which led to him thinking he could get away with doing it in a playoff game. Maybe it is the fault of the refs. Surely a hall of flame player can't be expected to make smart decisions on his own.

Why would you think that Garnett would have many techs? He's usually a very correct guy on the floor that doesn't spend the entire time whining around like Duncan, for example.

Your assumption that Garnett should have lots of techs is very telling and symbolizes exactly what I've been talking about.

Blake
04-20-2010, 11:18 AM
This has to be the most retarded thread ever in the history of any internet forum.

na, there's at least two or three more retarded threads on page 1 of this forum alone.

nkdlunch
04-20-2010, 11:20 AM

sounds like your wife is the one with the brains in the family

2Cleva
04-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Actresses.

TheMACHINE
04-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Why would you think that Garnett would have many techs? He's usually a very correct guy on the floor that doesn't spend the entire time whining around like Duncan, for example.

Your assumption that Garnett should have lots of techs is very telling and symbolizes exactly what I've been talking about.

Yah...Garnett spends his time trying to punk little point guards yet acts like a bitch when bigger players step up to him.

Bob Lanier
04-20-2010, 02:06 PM
The NBA’s philosophy seems to be to allow the players, not the officials, decide the outcome of the game.
O ho ho.

I guess Knicks fans are going soft on us now that d'Antoni's arrived.

Bob Lanier
04-20-2010, 02:08 PM
BASKETBALL IS A CONTACT SPORT.

JamStone
04-20-2010, 03:06 PM
KG hasn't gotten a lot of techs the last few years, but there have been several years where he was at the top or close to the top of techs in a season.

2000-01: 16
2001-02: 9
2002-03: 17
2003-04: 16
2004-05: 7
2005-06: 8
2006-07: 13
2007-08: 9

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=261

As far as technical fouls are concerned, KG hasn't exactly been a choir boy.

SomeCallMeTim
04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
KG hasn't gotten a lot of techs the last few years, but there have been several years where he was at the top or close to the top of techs in a season.

2000-01: 16
2001-02: 9
2002-03: 17
2003-04: 16
2004-05: 7
2005-06: 8
2006-07: 13
2007-08: 9

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=261

As far as technical fouls are concerned, KG hasn't exactly been a choir boy.

Agreed... this is the mark of St. Kevin's devotion to level-headedness on the floor? The guy runs his motor in the redline. Technical fouls come with that territory. Oh well. Not the end of the world but don't pretend as if he never gets rung up.

For the record, I'm equally disdainful of Kobe's past propensity at earning techs. There were a couple years he got within one T of the league-mandated suspension threshold...

Obstructed_View
04-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Oh please. Garnett's a dick who runs his mouth and thinks he can push people around, and the NBA has largely let him get away with it. If you want to blame the refs for his suspension, then blame them for not keeping him under control the last few years. If Garnett didn't avoid contact on the floor and actually played inside and got hacked the way Duncan did, he'd probably burst into angry tears in the middle of some games at the unfairness of it all. :lol