PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Ryan Richards

Bruno
04-20-2010, 08:08 AM
http://cbgrancanaria.net/createImageThumb.php?ancho=449&cropping=60&ruta=img/galeria/noticias/171620.JPG
Height: 6-10
Weight: 235 lbs
Birthday: 04/24/1991
Team: BBC Monthey (Switzerland)
Nationality: British

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ryan-Richards-1272)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ryan-richards)

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Bump.

Caught the very tail-end of the NBA Pre-Draft Combine and he apparently opened some eyes and probably made himself some money.

Katz talked to him afterwards and he talked about how he was able to get his team to the playoffs and that he can really score the ball (definitely came off as having the belief he's a scorer) but Katz asked him to talk about his defense, which apparently has been noteworthy for his team, and he talked about how he can really get out on the floor to defend perimeter Bigs and play good defense overall, or something to that effect.

According to Ford and others he'll likely remain overseas for another year or so and it's not guaranteed he'll stay in the Draft. I don't know anything about the kid but I'll be checking him, George and the rest of the crew out at 8 cst. tonight on ESPNU, when the combine re-airs.

8-11pm cst on ESPNU, y'all. :toast

DesignatedT
05-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Bump.

Caught the very tail-end of the NBA Pre-Draft Combine and he apparently opened some eyes and probably made himself some money.

Katz talked to him afterwards and he talked about how he was able to get his team to the playoffs and that he can really score the ball (definitely came off as having the belief he's a scorer) but Katz asked him to talk about his defense, which apparently has been noteworthy for his team, and he talked about how he can really get out on the floor to defend perimeter Bigs and play good defense overall, or something to that effect.

According to Ford and others he'll likely remain overseas for another year or so and it's not guaranteed he'll stay in the Draft. I don't know anything about the kid but I'll be checking him, George and the rest of the crew out at 8 cst. tonight on ESPNU, when the combine re-airs.

8-11pm cst on ESPNU, y'all. :toast

Will it be a re-run of the combine earlier today or a totally new one?

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm thinking it's a re-run. They do the athleticism and agility drills tomorrow.

Bruno
06-07-2010, 04:20 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/06/SP391DQV5A.DTL

Richards, a 6-11 3/4, 230-pounder who played in Spain and Switzerland last season, burst onto the NBA scene at the combine last month and is taking advantage of the momentum. He has already been to workouts at Chicago, Detroit and San Antonio and will go to Sacramento, Utah, Milwaukee, New York and Houston.

"It's been real different, and I'm enjoying every minute of it," Richards said. "Nobody knows me, so a lot of people want to see me."

mountainballer
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
I think the Spurs will use the #49 on an international big man. assuming they will add the #20 pick and Splitter, they almost have no other choice than to draft and stash. likely for a 3+ years perspective. the big man projects look a little more promising. (and they already have a guard in De Colo in the pipeline)
Richards could very well be the guy. or Prestes, Pleiss, Parakhouski (who likely would go back to Europe), Marjanovic, Vaty.

DesignatedT
06-07-2010, 08:21 PM
mock drafts don't have him on the board at the moment...

Pistons < Spurs
06-14-2010, 12:16 PM
chadfordinsider

English big man Ryan Richards staying in the draft according to agent. He didn't get 1st round promise, but wants to play in NBA next year.

Bruno
06-14-2010, 05:04 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=5285137&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fblog%3fname%3dnba_draft%26id%3d5285137

English big man Ryan Richards is also staying in the draft according to his agent, Herb Rudoy. The 19-year-old took the combine by storm with his athletic ability at his size. He's had a series of strong workouts and Rudoy thinks he has a good shot of sliding into the first round. However Rudoy stressed that Richards did not have a first-round guarantee. So why stay in the draft? "He wants to play in the NBA next year," Rudoy told ESPN.com. "He's not a guy that a team stashes over in Europe. I think for him to take the next step as a player, he needs to come over now."

Teams love his size and athleticism, but they worry about his relative lack of game experience since he hasn't played at a high level in Europe.

Looks like he doesn't want to be stashed.

Blackjack
06-14-2010, 05:12 PM
How much have you seen of this guy, Bruno? I got the impression he was more of a face-up big, maybe a little like Channing Frye, but DX seems to quell that notion; he actually sounds like a post player with a developing midrange shot that doesn't really have the frame to play in the NBA's post . . .

Bruno
06-14-2010, 05:18 PM
How much have you seen of this guy, Bruno?

I have never seem him play.

I think Richards could be a good pick at #49 for Spurs. With the Toros, Spurs have a great tool to develop him.

spursballer21
06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
It seems that the T-Wolves are high on this guy. If the Spurs can't move up, maybe the Wolves will do the Spurs a favor and draft Richards at 16. One less pick between 5 and 19 to worry about right?
yeah right there not that high on him

benefactor
06-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Bump.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-24-2010, 10:29 PM
If he WANTS to play in the NBA I'll take that as a good sign he will work to improve.

So long Ian Mahinmi you suck ass bitch motherfucker, you.

Cant_Be_Faded
If he WANTS to play in the NBA I'll take that as a good sign he will work to improve.

So long Ian Mahinmi you suck ass bitch motherfucker, you.

TDMVPDPOY
jarron collins?

benefactor
06-24-2010, 10:31 PM
He's headed for the Toros.

Spurologist
06-24-2010, 10:33 PM
RznOdGBAxas

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Mahinmi replacement lol

Spurologist
jarron collins?

I'd say that's worst case scenario.....i was cracking up when I saw that comparison

Man In Black
No way...Not a Collins type player at all. Those guys are more grounded. They don't leap higher than piece of toast. Richard's has more athleticism. I think he's a more polished Ian Mahinmi.

NickiRasgo
06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Based on his stats, he is a good free throw shooter and has a high field goal percentage.

ChuckD
06-24-2010, 10:39 PM
He's headed for the Toros.

No. Draft and stash. He'll stay in Europe for at least one more season. They need to try to get him onto a Euroleague or Eurocup team to up his competition level. Also, get his ass into the weight room. Four reps of the bench press at the combine is shameful for a big man.

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 10:41 PM
He will be with the Toros more than likely.

L.I.T
Nice calls in this thread by Bruno and mountainballer

His physical potential definitely is interesting.

dbestpro
This is an excellent value pick. Worse case he doesn't make it which is it not unsual for a late 2nd round pick. Best case is the sky is the limit. He looks much more mobile than Ian. Hope he makes it to the d-league rather than Europe. Also, is only 19 and is one of the youngest players in the draft.

kbrury
No. Draft and stash. He'll stay in Europe for at least one more season. They need to try to get him onto a Euroleague or Eurocup team to up his competition level. Also, get his ass into the weight room. Four reps of the bench press at the combine is shameful for a big man.

In the interview he was pretty adamant about leaving Europe. He said that he would probably withdraw from the draft if he got an indication that he would just be stashed.

benefactor
06-24-2010, 10:42 PM
I doubt it. The Spurs knew before they drafted him that his intentions were to come to the NBA this year. They will develop him here on the Toros.

Mel_13
06-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Same agent as Manu and Splitter.

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 10:44 PM
No chance at a Summer League invite?

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2010, 10:44 PM

Hm..

ulosturedge
06-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Strengthen him up, teach him some defense, and enhance the kids BBIQ. He looks pretty nimble when he moves and also shows a lot of touch with his shot. He just needs better competition and more development.

BackHome
06-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah he pretty much says that he doesn't want to go back to Europe that he would rather play in the D League then go back. The thing that I liked in the interview he seems pretty smart and seems like a guy who will work had on his game which is nice since he is only 19 years old.

daslicer
06-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I heard this guy has some anger management issues supposedly he got into a few fights back in Europe.

TD 21
06-24-2010, 10:50 PM
This is an excellent value pick. Worse case he doesn't make it which is it not unsual for a late 2nd round pick. Best case is the sky is the limit. He looks much more mobile than Ian. Hope he makes it to the d-league rather than Europe. Also, is only 19 and is one of the youngest players in the draft.

Exactly. The Spurs needed a young big in the pipeline. There's a good chance that Splitter is signed and Mahinmi is not re-signed, which would leave the cupboard bare. Now they have a young, mobile, athletic 7-footer to develop.

Overall, considering where the Spurs picked, this has been a very solid draft. One player who fits a short term need and the other who fits a long term need. Both good value where they were picked. You (not you specifically, but Spurs fans in general) may have wanted different players at those picks, but it's hard to complain with what the Spurs came out of this draft with.

ElNono
06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Based on his stats, he is a good free throw shooter and has a high field goal percentage.

That's a bad fit for us... :lol

Interrohater
06-24-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyCbDcqGnKE&feature=related

I'm actually very intrigued by this guy, he looks a lot more polished than I would have thought. It's going to be a huge transition for him going to the nba, but if he comes over while Timmy is still here, he could learn quite a bit.

Russ
06-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I heard this guy has some anger management issues supposedly he got into a few fights back in Europe.

That's the first good thing I've heard about this chump.

dbestpro
06-24-2010, 10:58 PM

Excellent! We could use a player that likes to get scrappy.

GSH
06-24-2010, 11:01 PM
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2010/06/21/ryan-richards-i-definitely-think-im-ready/

Excerpt:

How ready do you think you are for the NBA game?

RR: I definitely think I’m ready. I’ve been playing in Europe four years. I’ve been honing my game, working out every day twice a day for the last four years. I think I’m ready. I definitely need to improve my strength and playing experience, but they are two things that you’re going to improve just with time and getting in the gym.

Has anybody adviced you against giving the NBA a shot this year instead of waiting a little longer?

RR: Yeah. People will say you need to wait out, play for a high-level team in Europe and then go to the NBA. But you look at guys like Tony Parker or Sefolosha and they didn’t play in great leagues. They worked hard and they had the talent and potential… If you get a great coach on a good team, you can come to play in the NBA.

You have said that you would rather play in the D-League than Europe next year. Why is that?

RR: Just because my goal in life and my dream is to be in the NBA. To be on a roster with a team. If a coach or an organization thinks I’m not ready and want to send me to the D-League, I wouldn’t have an issue with it. Once I prove myself there, I’m going to be admitted to the NBA.

Russ
06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2010/06/21/ryan-richards-i-definitely-think-im-ready/

Excerpt:

How ready do you think you are for the NBA game?

RR: I definitely think I’m ready.

Apparently, he's not even ready for the top Euro leagues.

Man In Black
06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Strange, I had to think back to the last 19 year Old the Spurs drafted and Richards seems to have that same kind of MATURITY. I don't know if he'll be able to negotiate his purchase of a home in San Antonio like TP did in 2001, but to be well spoken means that you're more rounded as a person. That you just didn't let the system push you through because you were good with a round ball. If he goes to Toros, that's fine but I like a guy that's willing to work hard and get his time in and then...be ready should his number be called, to produce. Many games are won with effort guys, who can help you get results due to that effort.

Interrohater
06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Nice interview. I definitely admire his drive and commitment to playing in the NBA. To rather play in the D-League than in Europe is a huge testament, IMO, of his character. He could be making pretty decent money overseas playing with people that he's familiar with but he'd rather go to a strange place making crap money to prove that he's worth a roster spot. Very interesting prospect. I hope he gets a summer league invite, I don't see why not, Jack Mac got one last year.

tim_duncan_fan
06-24-2010, 11:07 PM
No D/Foreign League! Why do that??? The Spurs should take the time to develop him here, in the big league.

I'm praying that he makes the team. He seems shitloads more confident in his game than Bonner does already.

We have time to develop him. The goal is to make the playoffs with everybody healthy; we don't need 60 wins. I say we take a couple Ls if need be and get this kid some playing time with the grown men.

I've got a good feeling about this kid and his game. We've never had a player with this kind of skill-potential before. I'd hate to see him sit in some lame minor league for 2 or 3 years when other teams can find time to play their young players.

Just my 2 cents.

manufan10
06-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Left-handed.. FTW

L.I.T
06-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Exactly. The Spurs needed a young big in the pipeline. There's a good chance that Splitter is signed and Mahinmi is not re-signed, which would leave the cupboard bare. Now they have a young, mobile, athletic 7-footer to develop.

Overall, considering where the Spurs picked, this has been a very solid draft. One player who fits a short term need and the other who fits a long term need. Both good value where they were picked. You (not you specifically, but Spurs fans in general) may have wanted different players at those picks, but it's hard to complain with what the Spurs came out of this draft with.

Concur.

The Spurs came out of the draft with a solid scoring prospect at the SG position, someone who has the potential to be a double digit scorer. Highly efficient shooter and so on. Can't really complain with that, since it does fit a need, and upside is easy to see. He could slide right in and be a consistent shooter in the Spurs system. Especially since scouting reports have indicated he works best in a structured system.

And they draft a little known 19 year old with impressive physical attributes, an apparent drive to improve and anger management issues. He's a project, but at that position in the draft he's a good project.

Cool.

lurker23
06-24-2010, 11:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyCbDcqGnKE&feature=related

I'm actually very intrigued by this guy, he looks a lot more polished than I would have thought. It's going to be a huge transition for him going to the nba, but if he comes over while Timmy is still here, he could learn quite a bit.

Very nice video. I like this pick. Don't know if the kid is ready for the NBA yet, but he's definitely got some basketball skills; some nice handles, and some range to his jump shot. He's not one of those guys who just has the size but looks like they picked up a basketball for the first time two years ago.

I'm also excited about the possibility of him being in Austin rather than overseas for a few years. I know the D-League is a step down from a variety of leagues he could be playing in in Europe, but it should be nice to actually see one of these potential projects up close and personal for once.

jaffies
06-24-2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.bangitout.com/uploads/1alig_dapics_3.jpg

San Antonio finally got their balla!

tomtom
06-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Will probably end up with the Toros. Would be nice if he ends up as a Ryan Hollins type guy, bringing energy and some good D

objective
06-24-2010, 11:32 PM
better to have him in the d-league. My memory, which could be wrong, is that when the Spurs had Mahinmi go to Pau with the understanding that he'd be the starting big man for a Euroleague team after starting for Le Havre he was actually largely benched.

Spurs can't control what a Euro team does with him. If he talks like he's willing to go to the d-league, then all the better.

tdunk21
06-24-2010, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiANnojm34I&

freemeat
06-24-2010, 11:38 PM

Pretty promising sign that Splitter is a definite.

ducks
06-24-2010, 11:54 PM

good
incase some people want to kill manu and tp with hard fouls he can clock them:lol

tdunk21
06-24-2010, 11:55 PM
good
incase some people want to kill manu and tp with hard fouls he can clock them:lol

najera will be punched by him next season

Vic Petro
06-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Best part about the videos is they seem to indicate he has good hands. That's a big key for a successful big man. Combined with a willingness to get better and a rather surprising instinct for scoring, he's more intriguing than Daniel Orton imo.

kbrury
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Looks like he has some decent range on his shot, can't wait to see more.

Agloco
06-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Looks like this kid has a good long range jumper too. Pop might groom him for the stretch 4 position if his touch continues to improve. I don't see him pulling any major minutes at C though.

TimDunkem
06-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Looks like this kid has a good long range jumper too. Pop might groom him for the stretch 4 position if his touch continues to improve. I don't see him pulling any major minutes at C though.
Yeah, he's definitely a 4. Maybe he could play the 5 against small running teams once he gains a little muscle.

Ginobili2Duncan
06-25-2010, 12:11 AM

He looks like Drake.

Whisky Dog
06-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Why not, Spurs already had one young French big man that they refused to give a chance to, now they have a British one to bench and ruin too. Pop must be a German soccer fan.

DMX7
06-25-2010, 12:23 AM
That zipping sound you just heard was Ian Mahinmi packing his bags.

Ditty
06-25-2010, 12:37 AM
he looks like he has some handles i wonder if he can knock down the 3 or gain 3 point range

bigdog
06-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Why do people think he'd be replacing Mahinmi? They're 2 completely different kinds of players. If anything he'd be the "spread the floor 4" that Horry and Bonner have been.

The Truth #6
06-25-2010, 12:55 AM
The only clear thing from that video is that the level of competition looks like high school players. His ball handling needs improvement. I thought he would be a better athlete. On the good side he showed some fire and emotion, and he looked like he had really good balance and coordination. He didn't look like a giraffe running around like some big men. It looks like he has tools to work on his skills.

Looks like a low risk high reward draft pick. Nothing wrong with that.

Interrohater
06-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Why do people think he'd be replacing Mahinmi? They're 2 completely different kinds of players. If anything he'd be the "spread the floor 4" that Horry and Bonner have been.

Interesting point. I also figured that Mahinmi would be gone with this pick, but now that I think about it, maybe not so much. He (Richards) plays the PF position, even though he's like 6'11 3/4" with shoes on, and could wind up playing right beside Splitter. One of them would have to take on the mantle of Center, with Mahinmi backing that guy up.
To be quite honest, I've lost all faith in Mahinmi and just from those small samples of youtube vids I think Richards has a whole lot more potential than him. Ian has him beat on the athleticism, but Timmy is not an amazing athlete either. You don't necessarily need a jumping jack more than just a guy who understands and plays the game well.

BackHome
06-25-2010, 01:23 AM
good

That what I am talking about some teams try to beat up Manu and it would be nice to have a player come in and say "You hard foul our star I will then clock your star" that will stop that shit real quick.

I really like the kid he has good touch, nice moves, decent outside shoot, and seems like a player. The only thing I think I haven't seen him do is set picks which offcourse is our bread and butter. No better place to learn that then in Austin D League.

Interrohater
06-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Yea, I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be moving to Austin soon (Right now I'm in Iraq, redeploying to Tacoma, WA, then moving to West Virginia, THEN hopefully Austin!) and I'll buy some cheap ass Toros season tickets and watch homeboy was he begins his education in the way of the Spurs.

Solid D
06-25-2010, 01:48 AM

:lol, nice jaffies. Actually, they finally did get their balla....James Anderson.

eyeh8u
06-25-2010, 01:53 AM
for an international player his English is great, weird accent though

Solid D
06-25-2010, 01:56 AM

You're kidding, right?

jaffies
06-25-2010, 02:01 AM

fucking magnets!

IknowU
06-25-2010, 02:03 AM
To me he looks like a almost a carbon copy of Chris Bosh...........lefty, athletic, can shoot near the perimeter, some handles etc..

EricB
06-25-2010, 02:03 AM
:lmao

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 02:21 AM
A seven-footer with a post moves and a fallaway J. Also loved the lil' wicked, crossover and a behind-the-back dribble. Good value pick for draft-n-stash.

timvp
06-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Which teams have you worked out for so far?

RR: I’ve worked out in Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Memphis, Golden State, Sacramento, Utah, San Antonio twice and I have another workout coming up this week.

Which workout has been the best so far?

RR: I would say San Antonio. I got great feedback from everywhere I’ve worked out, but my two workouts with San Antonio were the best. Also a good workout in Utah.

That would have been a nice find prior to the draft . . .

mountainballer
06-25-2010, 02:32 AM
RznOdGBAxas

I like him.
interesting part in the interview: he says he doesn't want to get stashed and that he would withdrew, if he can't see a chance to get on a NBA team immediately, even if he has to play D-league.
in general I would have taught he is a sure fire draft and stash project and comes over in 3 years, but probably they bring him immediately. cheap option to fill the roster. he is one of the guys who can actually benefit from D-league. (usually I doubt the sense of put young players there)

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Is it safe to assume Richards will be on the Spurs summer league team?

I want to see more of that crossover he threw out in those videos.

Looked a lot like Tragic Johnson :lol

06-25-2010, 03:22 AM
will probably stay anchored to the toros for the next 2 years.

Bruno
06-25-2010, 03:22 AM
I like this pick. It's a very long term project (Richards just turned 19) but he has a lot of size and seems to have some interesting skills.

Richards doesn't want to be stashed so we will see what will happens:
- Spurs can sign and let him work in Austin. Toros are a great tool to develop players and Spurs could use it with him.
- Spurs can convince him to go back in Europe. Spurs have a lot of connections with European basketball and they can find a good team for his development.

lurker23
06-25-2010, 03:25 AM
I like this pick. It's a very long term project (Richards just turned 19) but he has a lot of size and seems to have some interesting skills.

- Spurs can sign and let him work in Austin. Toros are a great tool to develop players and Spurs could use it with him.
- Spurs can convince him to go back in Europe. Spurs have a lot of connections with European basketball and they can find a good team for his development.

Bruno, if Richards comes over immediately, what do you think the best contract structure would be for the Spurs to give him? Obviously you don't want to make it too short term, lest you spend your time developing this very young, very raw player, only to have someone throw a lot of money at him in free agency.

Should they give him something like 3 years minimum salary, with the 2nd and 3rd year fully non-guaranteed?

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 03:28 AM

Hopefully, he can stay healthy and avoid the Ian Mahinmi "slow path" toward development. Would hate for him to become the Toros all-time leader scorer, rebounding and blocks.

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 03:30 AM

BTW Bruno, now that he's property of the Spurs, can the Spurs "force" him to go back to Europe, if he's hesitant to do so?

angelbelow
06-25-2010, 03:32 AM
liking the youtube highlight reel. so this guy can actually shoot 3s or is that just hype from a highlight video?

lurker23
06-25-2010, 03:33 AM
BTW Bruno, now that he's property of the Spurs, can the Spurs "force" him to go back to Europe, if he's hesitant to do so?

No, they're into the same situation as Jack McClinton last year, where they have to offer him some sort of spot if he wants it. If he absolutely wants to come to the NBA, the Spurs can't force him to do otherwise.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Seems like he has some potential. If he plays for the Toros, his development might depend partially on what other big men end up in the D-League. Last season was actually pretty decent in that respect, but it could just as easily suck. I'm hoping at least one other post scorer plays in Austin as well so he could play outside as well as inside.

Interrohater
06-25-2010, 03:36 AM
I hope he doesn't shoot the three. I like his moves near the basket and that would be where he can get some help from the Spurs vets. I mean, who seriously wants him to be taken under the wing of Matt Bonner? With the range that it looks like he has, maybe he can pick up a consistent jumper a la Tony Dice.

Darkwaters
06-25-2010, 03:41 AM
Seems like he has some potential. If he plays for the Toros, his development might depend partially on what other big men end up in the D-League. Last season was actually pretty decent in that respect, but it could just as easily suck. I'm hoping at least one other post scorer plays in Austin as well so he could play outside as well as inside.

That would seem to be a priority in the upcoming NBDL draft then. Richards would seem to be the main event as far as Austin goes for the next two years. When is that draft by the way?

ace3g
06-25-2010, 03:48 AM
I wonder if the Spurs see Richards as "Lamar Odom" type a mobile SF/PF that could create some match up problems.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 03:48 AM
That would seem to be a priority in the upcoming NBDL draft then. Richards would seem to be the main event as far as Austin goes for the next two years. When is that draft by the way?It'll be after the final NBA training camp cuts are made.

I'm definitely not counting on Dwayne Jones to stay, but Eric Dawson might if he can stay healthy.

lurker23
06-25-2010, 03:49 AM
That would seem to be a priority in the upcoming NBDL draft then. Richards would seem to be the main event as far as Austin goes for the next two years. When is that draft by the way?

Last year it was held on November 5th.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/draft_board_2009.html

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 03:49 AM
I wonder if the Spurs see Richards as "Lamar Odom" type a mobile SF/PF that could create some match up problems.PF maybe.

MagnusKrauss
06-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Er, Quin Snyder left Austin didn't he? Who do you guys think will replace him so we can mentor this kid right?

Bruno
06-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Bruno, if Richards comes over immediately, what do you think the best contract structure would be for the Spurs to give him? Obviously you don't want to make it too short term, lest you spend your time developing this very young, very raw player, only to have someone throw a lot of money at him in free agency.

Should they give him something like 3 years minimum salary, with the 2nd and 3rd year fully non-guaranteed?

If he accepts it, it's a good deal.
Now, if Spurs offers him a contract longer than 2 years, they will need to use the MLE. I don't think Splitter will be a full MLE, but if he is or if Spurs spend the rest of the MLE on another player, they will be limited to a 2 years contract.

Spurs had to offer him a contract but this contract can be fully non-guaranteed. A "war" can start with Spurs saying they want him back in Europe and refusing to offer him guaranteed money but Richards will have the last word and has the possibility to sign the non-guaranteed contract.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Er, Quin Snyder left Austin didn't he? Who do you guys think will replace him so we can mentor this kid right?That is a very good question. Hopefully they pick someone before summer league so he could work that.

bigdog
06-25-2010, 05:17 AM
A carbon copy of Chris Bosh? If he was that, he would have been a top 10 pick. I like the kid's potential, but he will be a project.

NickiRasgo
06-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Can he play SF? I'm excited about this guy, a project.

yourtehclay
06-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Does Richards potentially address the Spurs need for a floor spreading big man on the roster?
I'd love to see Bonner leave and maybe Mahinmi resigned and bumped up in the rotation. Richards could be the stretch 4 that pop requires in the rotation.

Interrohater
06-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Can he play SF? I'm excited about this guy, a project.

I don't think that would be a wise choice even if he could. He looks better (at least in the videos) in the low block, or setting up from 12 ft like Timmy. I highly doubt that he's quick enough to get by most SF defenders in the NBA, while at the same time not being able to keep up with his guy on the defensive end.
I can't wait to see him during the summer league, as long as he sticks to PF.

admiralsnackbar
06-25-2010, 06:59 AM
He may have a nice shooting touch, but based on the film of him, he clearly favors post play, and his body seems to understand it's carrying a lot of weight. Hoping for a stretch 4 or an Odom to develop out of what he shows right now seems a little optimistic.

He looks to me like he could develop into a more aggressive version of Rasho: lumbering gait, not too much grace, but a nice 12-footer here and there, and a much better closer in the post than Sir Blue Lips.

TDMVPDPOY
06-25-2010, 07:05 AM
athletic?

lookin at his dunks, doesnt seem like thats his max vertical....if that was his max vertical, then whats the difference between him and the goat rasho

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 08:16 AM
If this kid ever develops 3-pt range, Pop would probably soil his pants.

Mel_13
06-25-2010, 08:26 AM
If this kid ever develops 3-pt range, Pop would probably soil his pants.

You knew the Spurs wouldn't make it through a draft night without taking a Euro. Ryan Richards, selected in the second round at No. 49, isn't a name you need to know for now. He's a true 7-footer, but only 19, and the Spurs will keep him stashed overseas for the time being. "He's a gifted athlete, and a pretty good shooter," general manager R.C. Buford said. "That shooting '4' role for us has been pretty important. We'll see how long it takes him to get ready for this opportunity."

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

:wakeup

TimDunkem
06-25-2010, 08:26 AM
athletic?

lookin at his dunks, doesnt seem like thats his max vertical....if that was his max vertical, then whats the difference between him and the goat rasho
Richards is athletic, but he isn't a leaper. His max vert is around 30 inches.

rascal
06-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Alabi would have been the better pick.

kev
06-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Not sure if it's been posted yet (my apologies if it has), but look at this quote from Xavier Henry:

ENGLISHMAN IMPRESSES: Asked for someone under-the-radar who will make an impact in the NBA, Xavier Henry didn't hesitate: "The kid from England, Ryan Richards, can really play," said Henry, the 6-foot-6 shooting guard from Kansas who is expected to go in the first 15 picks. "He showed me a lot of things. He's a Euro-type of player, but he's real smart and all of his moves are fast-paced. He can also shoot. That's something he can do really well. The 6-foot-11, 230-pound Richards played a year in a professional league in Belgium and then six games with BBC Monthey in Switzerland before a shoulder injury ended his season. Richards, 19, was at one of Henry's last workouts, and the Kansas freshman came away impressed. "He's nearly 7 feet and when you have a 7-foot guy that can shoot and plays smart, I think that's someone who can do some good things in the league."
-- Richard Deitsch

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/draft/06/24/draft.day.blog/1.html#ixzz0rsAqshrK

Spurologist
06-25-2010, 09:01 AM
This dude is hungry......any chance for a summer league invite?

Sign him up for the Torros

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2010, 09:33 AM
He is 230 at 19. With two or three years and an NBA weight program he easily will be 250. Someone please explain at 6-11 why he isn't in the mold of a 5?

E-RockWill
06-25-2010, 10:06 AM

This

Seventyniner
06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Solid pick. At #49, you're probably not going to get a star; they can't all be Manu. His ceiling is probably 8th or 9th man (4th big), but that wouldn't be bad for a 2nd rounder.

kobyz
06-25-2010, 10:53 AM
remind me Channing Frye

TDMVPDPOY
06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
is he our d12 without the smile? :D

d12 was a lanky when he was drafted then he lifted weights and became a monster...

wheres kevin willis and drob to mentor this kid to get ripped body

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
remind me Channing Frye

I was wondering the same. Visions of Channing Frye or Lamar Odom, perhaps? Is that a stretch?

BackHome
06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
athletic?

When was the last time your saw Rasho dunk the ball?

The Btown Spur
06-25-2010, 12:11 PM
just watched his combine interview on draft express. He seems like a very mature kid for how young he his, and he seems very confident. Im starting to like this pick. oh and he has a pretty sweet accent

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Alabi would have been the better pick.Alabi is a slug compared this guy, though he can block some shots. Decent gamble.

Solid D
06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Based on the few video clips I've seen of Richards, it looks like he needs some training on getting and keeping full extension with his arms on rebounds. When he gets to the NBA level, he'll get out-rebounded or knocked off the ball with his present style. He does have some impressive things to offer the Spurs, no doubt. Right now, he's no closer to being a Spur than James Gist was a couple of summers ago.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 12:28 PM
True, playing with relatively small boys gives no indication about how he can rebound in the NBA. The thing I find encouraging is his physicality in the paint. Hopefully that carries over to his play against the bigger competition there.

Mr. Body
06-25-2010, 12:54 PM
There are first round picks this year, among big men, who will bust out (Hassan Whiteside; even Cole Aldrich looks like a bit of a gamble). I know as little about this guy as most but his skill set is intriguing for a second rounder.

E-RockWill
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Hopefully this kid will get some good burn playing for England's national team.....

spursballer21
06-25-2010, 01:39 PM
at the nba draft camp
they said
he was unknow
but most intruging prospect
245 pounds in weight
and most upside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfM-...eature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfM-ZnmQBU&feature=related)
someone put the video here idk how to put it

dbestpro
06-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I know I will take heat for this, but I wonder what Timmy looked like when he was 19.

spursballer21
06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
5AfM-ZnmQBU

Muser
06-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Love the pick! English blood on the Spurs!!

Hoping his stay lasts longer than the last englishman.

angelbelow
06-25-2010, 07:30 PM
sounds like he wants to come to the nba - perhaps we can stash him on the dleague for 2 years at minimum contract. he seems to have potential, besides it'll make letting ian go a little easier to swallow.

DesignatedT
06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Didn't feel like reading through the other posts. So im going to ask my question here.

I saw where he will most likely play for the Toros... There is no way he will be sent overseas like Gist was?

Also, What are the guidelines on assigning a player to the Toros.. Do we have to sign him to a contract 1st? Or do we "own his rights"

Thanks for the help, sorry if that's confusing.

LakerHater
06-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Richards is athletic, but he isn't a leaper. His max vert is around 30 inches.

Yeah, hes got heavy legs.
Also, Pop would scream if he saw how he misses defensive assignments & slow on the Pick-n-Roll rotations. The kids got potential but a low IQ!

kbrury
06-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Also, Pop would scream if he saw how he misses defensive assignments & slow on the Pick-n-Roll rotations. The kids got potential but a low IQ!

You won't find many 19 year olds with a high one. :downspin:

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Didn't feel like reading through the other posts. So im going to ask my question here.

I saw where he will most likely play for the Toros... There is no way he will be sent overseas like Gist was?

Also, What are the guidelines on assigning a player to the Toros.. Do we have to sign him to a contract 1st? Or do we "own his rights"

Thanks for the help, sorry if that's confusing.As far as I can tell, the Spurs have to sign Richards to assign him to the Toros. I've never seen a pick voluntarily turn down a tender offer to join a D-League affiliate. It's possible Ricky Sanchez did, but his was a special circumstance as he was on a CBA team that became part of the D-League. Until it actually happens with a regular pick, I'm going to assume it can't happen.

Mel_13
06-25-2010, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the help, sorry if that's confusing.

He could wind up there without signing an NBA contract, but there's no way that's going to happen.

Minimum NBA salary for a rookie 2nd round draft pick is 473K. The highest paid Dleague players get paid less than 40K. So, if Richards plays in the States next year, it will be on an NBA contract and the Spurs will assign him to Austin.

First and second year players may be assigned by their NBA teams to the Dleague. I believe they can can go up and down three times in one season.

Edit: late again

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Also, Pop would scream if he saw how he misses defensive assignments & slow on the Pick-n-Roll rotations. The kids got potential but a low IQ!Are you really serious about this?

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Are you really serious about this?

Lakerhater is an advanced scout for the NBA, who's quizzed him on different defensive and offensive scenarios on video.

So yeah..

LakerHater
06-26-2010, 12:42 AM
This guy is good, don’t get me wrong, and by some standards he’s big, but Richards could be easily defended by bigger stronger guys in Europe, let alone the NBA. Joel Freeland is a bigger, stronger, more complete player than Ryan with more experience and better fundamentals – Freeland was selected by the Portland Trail Blazers back in 2006 and has yet to play a game in the NBA.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Right. This guy is a 19 year old taken at number 49.

LakerHater
06-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Right. This guy is a 19 year old taken at number 49.

The Spurs have done that alot, takin guys early in age and leaving them (some longer, way longer than others) in Europe!

ChumpDumper
06-26-2010, 01:03 AM
The Spurs have done that alot, takin guys early in age and leaving them (some longer, way longer than others) in Europe!Exactly. I get the feeling they actually watched this one play though. He's got some interesting skills. I could see his staying in Europe or playing for the Toros.

LakerHater
06-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Exactly. I get the feeling they actually watched this one play though. He's got some interesting skills. I could see his staying in Europe or playing for the Toros.
Hes gonna be fun to watch & develop!

Euroleague Final Four: Nike International Junior Tournament
by: Luis Fernández - Director of International Scouting,
Jonathan Givony -President

Ryan Richards, 6-10, PF/C, Real Madrid, 1991

http://content.draftexpress.com/gallery/RyanRichards/1210481181.jpg

Considering that the other top prospects here were pretty well known, Ryan Richards was one of the most interesting features in advance of this Nike International Junior Tournament. And while he had some productive games, he didn’t blow away people with his performances, leaving some mixed feelings about his talent and feel for the game.

First of all, we have to always take into consideration his youth, as Richards is a 1991-born player, but still he surprised with a pretty strong frame for his age, especially his upper body, despite being reportedly a rather skinny guy not long ago. He stands 6-10 and could be done growing (he looks physically rather mature); it’s nice size, but not outstanding considering his array of skills and his average athleticism, although he does enjoy a mammoth wingspan.

Left-handed, Richards showed a decent perimeter stroke, displaying increasing consistency as the tournament advanced, from the mid-range area and out to the three-point line. However, he didn’t look like a face-up player, and if he’s not shooting the ball, chances are you will see him bruising in the low post. Not a finesse player, he relies on his strength, his length, some basic footwork and a certain ability to finish with his left hand, to get the job done. His footwork is pretty raw, and he really doesn’t have much in the ways of moves at this point.

On defense he looked again pretty physical, and was probably the most successful player guarding the MVP Dejan Musli all tournament long. His length and size also makes him a very solid rebounder. In the team setting, his poor awareness stood out at times, though, particularly when forced to step out and hedge a screen or rotate in the post. He’s not the most reactive player you’ll find.

You can feel the game doesn’t come easily to Richards. He doesn’t look like the most naturally gifted player, and his decision making often looks underwhelming. He’s not much of a passer, and generally speaking, his team Real Madrid had a pretty disappointing showing compared to what we had witnessed in L’Hospitalet. Despite his very solid production, Richards might be partially to blame.

From DraftExpress.com

mystargtr34
06-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Good thing he has some of those deficiencies, so the Spurs actually had a chance to draft the guy. Too many people get disappointed when they find out a draft pick doesnt have a 7'4" wingspan, 36" vertical and natural feel for the game. At Pick 49, to get a player with potentially NBA-level skills, your going to have some 'flaws', otherwise they would be picked earlier.

Not having a go at you LakerHater, just a general observation.

LakerHater
06-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Good thing he has some of those deficiencies, so the Spurs actually had a chance to draft the guy. Too many people get disappointed when they find out a draft pick doesnt have a 7'4" wingspan, 36" vertical and natural feel for the game. At Pick 49, to get a player with potentially NBA-level skills, your going to have some 'flaws', otherwise they would be picked earlier.

Not having a go at you LakerHater, just a general observation.

No offense taken! Noones perfect, if he didnt have those (correctable) flaws he gets drafted by another team. Im glad he landed in our lap.

Im thrilled hes a Spur, like I said before itsa gonna be great to see him develop right before our eyes!
I think Spurs got another steal (Blair being the other), I think with our staff & Pop's system (teaching) he'll be a good player!

DaDakota
06-26-2010, 11:35 PM
He is a great athlete who is getting better, and is really tall.

I wanted my team to snag him in the 2nd round.

If he works hard, I think you guys have found a diamond in the rough.

DD

Thompson
06-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Has Richards had a post-draft interview yet? I haven't been able to find one. I'd like to know if he's happy the Spurs drafted him, if they've talked to him about possibly going to the D-league next year, etc.

lurker23
06-27-2010, 01:42 AM
As much as I like the draft pick of Richards, I think pretty much everyone (perhaps including myself) needs to squash their expectations a little bit. It's great and all that he's likely to come to Austin instead of playing half a world away, but for all intents and purposes, fans should consider him "stashed away" in Austin. He's 19 years old and likely needs serious seasoning. Unless Spurs have serious injuries among their big men, I wouldn't expect him to play a single minute in a regular season NBA game. If he finds a way to make onto the floor at all via his own skills, that would simply be very very sweet icing on the cake.

Edit: I mean primarily this year. We'll see how this year goes before making any kind of expectations about next year or the year after, but I guess it is reasonable hope he's in a Spurs uniform at some point considering, well, that's the main reason you draft guys. :)

spursbird
06-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Another Mahinmi Huh?

buttsR4rebounding
06-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Even though he said he doesn't want to go back to Europe I bet the Spurs try to convince him to do so. He may be more amenable to the idea if the FO lays out a plan for him. He is likely to need more than 2 years to be NBA ready.

intlspurshk
06-27-2010, 02:57 AM
He doesn't look like coming to SPURS

Ryan Richards, the 49th overall pick in the last NBA draft, will be sent on loan again next season by Gran Canaria 2014. The 19-year-old British forward, in the Spanish team since 2009, was also loaned last season in the Swiss team BBC Monthey, averaging 13.3 points and 5.2 rebounds per game. The Hoops Market

http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/06/ryan-richards-will-be-sent-on-loan-by.html? utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheHoopsMarket+(The+Hoops+Marke t) &utm_content=Google+Reader

Bruno
06-27-2010, 03:23 AM
^ After looking at his contract situation, he is still under contract for 2 years with his Spanish team.

There are two cases:
- He can get out of this contract for free and Richards in the driver seat. Even if Spurs only offer the required fully non-guaranteed contract, he can sign it.
- A buyout should be paid and Spurs are in the driver seat. If Spurs don't offer him a contract with enough guaranteed money to buy out his contract, Richards has no other choice than staying in Spain.

Richards has also clearly said that he wants to be signed by the team that draft him even if he had to play in D-League. If he has a buyout and Spurs forced him to stay overseas, it could ruin their relationship.

dbestpro
06-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Most of what I have read about the guy says he has a good BB IQ. It can be very hard for 18 year old players (he just turned 19) to be allowed to play over more experienced players so I do not give too much thought to the point that he has not gotten on the court. European teams know if they play the guys young that they will not stay long if they are very good. For the most part they are not interested in being a development league for the NBA.

Bruno
06-29-2010, 06:25 AM
http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Family-overjoyed-as-Richards-signs-NBA-deal-newsinkent37247.aspx?news=sport

Family overjoyed as Richards signs NBA deal

by Steve Tervet
POSTED: 29/06/2010 08:42:45

A former Sittingbourne schoolboy is set to line up against the best basketball players in the world next season after being drafted to the NBA and picked by San Antonio Spurs.

The 19-year-old was the 49th pick of the draft, having earlier impressed coaches and pundits at the NBA Draft Combine camp in Chicago.

Richards, who went to Westlands School, had stated his desire not to return to Europe as part of a deal with an NBA side and he will remain in the States with the Suns ahead of the new season, which begins in October.

His first taste of club basketball came with the Kent Crusaders (now Medway Park Crusaders) before moving abroad to join Spanish side Gran Canaria.

Last season saw Richards spend a loan spell in Switzerland, but he will now come up against the biggest names in basketball having achieved what he always dreamed of as a youngster.
His mum, Debbie Richards, who lives in Church Road, Sittingbourne, told KOS Media: “It’s always been his goal. A lot of the European teams are coming on now, but that was his dream. He didn’t want to play in Europe, he wanted to be in the NBA.

“It’s been really exciting and it’s a really good outcome. It’s unbelievable, because this sort of thing doesn’t really happen to everyone. Of course, I wanted him to get picked but I’m pleased he’s going to a team where they work with the younger players. Other teams would have wanted him to go back to Europe in his first year, which he didn’t want to do.”
Richards has represented England at under-16 and under-18 level but has never been selected for Great Britain at senior level – a fact which makes his sudden rise all the more incredible.

His three younger sisters have all played club basketball in Kent but Debbie revealed it was the influence of another sibling which started Ryan’s love-affair with the sport.

“He started playing at 11,” she said. “His brother Keenan came over from Jamaica and he played really well. Ryan wanted to be as good as him, so that was the start of his interest.

“He’s worked hard and he had to live on his own from the age of 17, which isn’t easy. It’s not all been plain sailing, he’s had a few injuries but he’s stayed focused. I don’t see him a great deal but he comes home at Christmas and at the end of the season.”

------------------------

Now we know that Richards likely won't be stashed in Europe. I guess he will be Spurs 6th bigman and will work on his game with The Toros.

IknowU
06-29-2010, 06:35 AM
http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Family-overjoyed-as-Richards-signs-NBA-deal-newsinkent37247.aspx?news=sport

by Steve Tervet

The 19-year-old was the 49th pick of the draft, having earlier impressed coaches and pundits at the NBA Draft Combine camp in Chicago.

Richards, who went to Westlands School, had stated his desire not to return to Europe as part of a deal with an NBA side and he will remain in the States with the Suns ahead of the new season, which begins in October.

:downspin:

coyotes_geek
06-29-2010, 08:08 AM
^^^the Suns???

Bruno
06-29-2010, 08:12 AM
The writer obviously made a mistake, no need to nitpick on that.

The interesting point of the article is that Richards should be a Spur player.

BronxCowboy
06-29-2010, 08:23 AM
He'll need to have surgery on his sholder down the road but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If I understand correctly, he has what's called a Bankart lesion, a tear in the labrum as a result of dislocating his shoulder. If he doesn't have surgery, he'll have around an 80% chance of dislocating it again, which could put him out of commision for months. I especially don't like the way he seems to kind of pull up and swing on the rim every time he dunks in the videos. Everytime his arm goes behind his head he's asking for trouble. If he's going to be playing in the big league anytime soon, I would get that shit taken care of.

Spurologist
06-29-2010, 08:27 AM

by Steve Tervet

A former Sittingbourne schoolboy is set to line up against the best basketball players in the world next season after being drafted to the NBA and picked by San Antonio Spurs.

His first taste of club basketball came with the Kent Crusaders (now Medway Park Crusaders) before moving abroad to join Spanish side Gran Canaria.

Last season saw Richards spend a loan spell in Switzerland, but he will now come up against the biggest names in basketball having achieved what he always dreamed of as a youngster.
His mum, Debbie Richards, who lives in Church Road, Sittingbourne, told KOS Media: “It’s always been his goal. A lot of the European teams are coming on now, but that was his dream. He didn’t want to play in Europe, he wanted to be in the NBA.

“It’s been really exciting and it’s a really good outcome. It’s unbelievable, because this sort of thing doesn’t really happen to everyone. Of course, I wanted him to get picked but I’m pleased he’s going to a team where they work with the younger players. Other teams would have wanted him to go back to Europe in his first year, which he didn’t want to do.”
Richards has represented England at under-16 and under-18 level but has never been selected for Great Britain at senior level – a fact which makes his sudden rise all the more incredible.

His three younger sisters have all played club basketball in Kent but Debbie revealed it was the influence of another sibling which started Ryan’s love-affair with the sport.

“He started playing at 11,” she said. “His brother Keenan came over from Jamaica and he played really well. Ryan wanted to be as good as him, so that was the start of his interest.

“He’s worked hard and he had to live on his own from the age of 17, which isn’t easy. It’s not all been plain sailing, he’s had a few injuries but he’s stayed focused. I don’t see him a great deal but he comes home at Christmas and at the end of the season.”

------------------------

Now we know that Richards likely won't be stashed in Europe. I guess he will be Spurs 6th bigman and will work on his game with The Toros.

WTF? :lol

BronxCowboy
06-29-2010, 08:58 AM
WTF? :lol

Remember he's British. They just know he's going to some team located in the American southwest. :lol

coyotes_geek
06-29-2010, 09:00 AM
The writer obviously made a mistake, no need to nitpick on that.

The interesting point of the article is that Richards should be a Spur player.

Depends on what the terms of the deal are. For all we know Richards could just be playing the Jack McClinton card by accepting the 1 year, unguaranteed, league min tender offer that the Spurs are required to make.

Now if the deal has multiple years on it along with some guaranteed money, then it should be safe to take that as a sign of commitment from the Spurs to have Richards on the roster this year.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the fact that Richards is announcing a contract so early after the draft points more towards Richards just taking the tender offer since one would think a multi-year contract with guaranteed money would take longer than a week to negotiate.

lotr1trekkie
06-29-2010, 09:21 AM
HOw did he get to the combine anyway? How many are invited? He certainly wasn't on many radar screens after playing in Switzerland. Surprised to see him interviewed on NBA channel.

mountainballer
06-29-2010, 09:37 AM
again, in an interview he stated that he doesn't want to get stashed and that he would withdraw, if he didn't get some positive signs from a team. (or several teams?)

and his agent once more is the well known Herb Rudoy, who is in permanent contact with the Spurs anyhow. (Splitter, Manu)
it's not totally unreasonable, that the Spurs agreed to bring him in immediately, knowing that he will spend at least a season with the Toros.
if he refuses to stay in Europe, the Spurs would lose his rights, if they don't sign him. I'm pretty sure this issue has been discussed between Spurs and Rudoy before the draft.
Spurs will have 4 big, who form the primary front court (Tim, Tiago, Dice, Blair). the 5th likely will be a minimum veteran (like Ratliff was) and the 6th a young player eligible to play D-league. (Richards)
makes sense.

manufan10
06-29-2010, 09:38 AM
If he does go to the Toros, then I'll go check him out when they play the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

Bruno
06-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Depends on what the terms of the deal are. For all we know Richards could just be playing the Jack McClinton card by accepting the 1 year, unguaranteed, league min tender offer that the Spurs are required to make.

Now if the deal has multiple years on it along with some guaranteed money, then it should be safe to take that as a sign of commitment from the Spurs to have Richards on the roster this year.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the fact that Richards is announcing a contract so early after the draft points more towards Richards just taking the tender offer since one would think a multi-year contract with guaranteed money would take longer than a week to negotiate.

IMO, you are trying to read too much into it. It's his mom who speaks not his agent. It's possible that all the money aspect hasn't been finalized but that Spurs have said that they will sign him and send him to Austin if he doesn't want to go back in Europe.

And players who sign the tender offer do it very late in the offseason after failed negotiations.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2010, 10:01 AM
IMO, you are trying to read too much into it. It's his mom who speaks not his agent. It's possible that all the money aspect hasn't been finalized but that Spurs have said that they will sign him and send him to Austin if he doesn't want to go back in Europe.

And players who sign the tender offer do it very late in the offseason after failed negotiations.

I certainly hope that's the case.

Bruno
06-29-2010, 10:21 AM
HOw did he get to the combine anyway? How many are invited? He certainly wasn't on many radar screens after playing in Switzerland. Surprised to see him interviewed on NBA channel.

Richards wasn't some kind of obscure prospect. He was known for years as one of the most interesting player of the 1991 class. In 2007, while he was 15 years old, he even practiced with the international team at the Nike hoops summit.

8FOR!3
06-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Any chance he makes the actual roster? What amazing experience that would be to get a 1991 guy on the court at such a young age, the anti-Darko Milicic effect.

wildbill2u
06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Ah, the dreams of summer. A new face becomes our focus and our hope.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2010, 02:05 PM

As much as I hate to say it, I think the fact that Richards is announcing a contract so early after the draft points more towards Richards just taking the tender offer since one would think a multi-year contract with guaranteed money would take longer than a week to negotiate.So he would be under contract with the Spurs.

What's the problem?

It was easy for the Spurs to waive McClinton when he asked because he sucked.

DesignatedT
06-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Does this mean he's playing in the Summer League?

coyotes_geek
06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
So he would be under contract with the Spurs.

What's the problem?

It was easy for the Spurs to waive McClinton when he asked because he sucked.

Hopefully there isn't a problem. I'm just saying that there's a difference between Richards signing a contract and the Spurs being committed to having Richards on the team this year since the Spurs are required to offer him a contract. I know Richards is out there saying he's going to be in the NBA next year, but are the Spurs saying the same thing? Richards certainly wouldn't be the first guy to publicly announce his plans to be in the nba immediately, only to find out that the team that just drafted him has other ideas. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
It would probably be stupid to let Richards go in the manner of McClinton. So it's up to the Spurs to not be stupid.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2010, 04:00 PM
McClinton didn't want to be sent overseas or play in Austin so he asked to have his rights renounced basically. McClinton wasn't going to make the 15 man roster over Hairston or Marcus Williams so the Spurs were going to have to waive him.Exactly. It wasn't stupid to waive him.

EricB
06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
In retrospect coulda kept him instead of Marcus Haislip...

SenorSpur
06-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I think the Spurs will use the #49 on an international big man. assuming they will add the #20 pick and Splitter, they almost have no other choice than to draft and stash. likely for a 3+ years perspective. the big man projects look a little more promising. (and they already have a guard in De Colo in the pipeline)
Richards could very well be the guy. or Prestes, Pleiss, Parakhouski (who likely would go back to Europe), Marjanovic, Vaty.

You nailed this one MB. :toast

K-State Spur
06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
In retrospect coulda kept him instead of Marcus Haislip...

McClinton didn't exactly light up the Turkish league even after his release. It's not like anybody was missing him even after Haislip left.

In retrospect, there is no point about worrying about the retrospect regarding JMC.

admiralsnackbar
06-30-2010, 01:48 PM
McClinton didn't exactly light up the Turkish league even after his release. It's not like anybody was missing him even after Haislip left.

In retrospect, there is no point about worrying about the retrospect regarding JMC.

Agreed.