PDA

View Full Version : the consistency of Karl Malone

poop
04-20-2010, 01:08 PM
looking at this guy's career stats, they are just incredible.

-19 seasons, #2 all time in career points

-through his first 13 seasons (as long as Duncan, Dirt have been in the nba), missed a TOTAL of 6 games.

- played 80+ games in SEVENTEEN seasons.

- averaged 20+ppg in SEVENTEEN CONSECUTIVE SEASONS.

- 12 seasons of 25+ppg

- career averages (over 19 years!!) of 25, 10, 3.6 assts, and 1.4 stls

- from 86/87 thru 97/98 (12 years) averaged 27 and 11

lil_penny
04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Greatest pf ever!

Slomo
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/Drama_Queen.jpg

angelbelow
04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
quite impressive how durable all the players were back then. it seemed like none of the big time players ever missed any games. a tribute to their work ethic?

Girasuck
04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
It's pretty much a worthless cause to say anything positive about Karl Malone on this site. In one ear and out the other with Spurs fans.

poop
04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
It's pretty much a worthless cause to say anything positive about Karl Malone on this site. In one ear and out the other with Spurs fans.

i just did and im a spurs fan

Girasuck
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
i just did and im a spurs fan

There are extremists in every group.

z0sa
04-20-2010, 01:30 PM
He's no Tim Duncan, but #2 is his spot forever.

bdubya
04-20-2010, 01:32 PM
How consistently did his elbows send players to the ER?

endrity
04-20-2010, 01:34 PM

They're doing it to piss off Mavs fans.

He was great, great work ethic, keeping his body in that kind of shape until 40 is unbelievable.

He'll never outlive his reputation for getting afraid in the playoffs though. Had a bit of a "hot potato" syndrome in key moments, even though compared to Garnett he is Mr. Clutch in that regard :toast

hitmanyr2k
04-20-2010, 01:51 PM
It surprised me that Malone and Stockton failed so much in the playoffs. 19 years is a long time with no championship. Hell, I think half their playoff appearances ended up in a first round exit.

poop
04-20-2010, 01:57 PM
It surprised me that Malone and Stockton failed so much in the playoffs. 19 years is a long time with no championship. Hell, I think half their playoff appearances ended up in a first round exit.

yes thats what keeps him behind duncan, his lack of playoff success, he never dominated in big playoff moments.

i guess you can say hes the dallas mavericks of PF's, lots of consistent good regular seasons coupled with consistent playoff failures :lol

bostonguy
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM

While I thought the 96-97 Jazz>>>>>>>>>97-98 Jazz, the 1998 Jazz "could have" won it all had they of taken game 6. Pippen would of been limited with his back injury, MJ running on fumes, and the wear and tear they dealt with in the ECF would of caught up to them. Add to that, Utah would of had all the momentum. MJ's heroics prevented that mess and ended the Bulls dynasty on a high note.

ffadicted
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Indeed a legend, it's a shame guys like him didn't win shit when you got fags like Vujabitch and Adam Morrison sporting championship rings, but I guess that's the way it goes

Bob Lanier
04-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Certainly the man's the best power forward ever, but he's still despicable through great fault of his own.

hitmanyr2k
04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
While I thought the 96-97 Jazz>>>>>>>>>97-98 Jazz, the 1998 Jazz "could have" won it all had they of taken game 6. Pippen would of been limited with his back injury, MJ running on fumes, and the wear and tear they dealt with in the ECF would of caught up to them. Add to that, Utah would of had all the momentum. MJ's heroics prevented that mess and ended the Bulls dynasty on a high note.

I really thought '98 was Utah's year. They had the homecourt, rested for over a week after dismantling a young but damn good Laker team, and they had the motivation and "revenge" factor on their side. After the grueling ECF and the Game 1 Finals loss it was hard to imagine seeing the Bulls dominate that series the way they did in Games 2-4. Limiting the Jazz to 54 points in Game 3 was one of the best defensive clinics I've ever seen.

poop
04-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Certainly the man's the best regular season power forward ever, but he's still despicable through great fault of his own.

fixed :hat

bostonguy
04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
I really thought '98 was Utah's year. They had the homecourt, rested for over a week after dismantling a young but damn good Laker team, and they had the motivation and "revenge" factor on their side. After the grueling ECF and the Game 1 Finals loss it was hard to imagine seeing the Bulls dominate that series the way they did in Games 2-4. Limiting the Jazz to 54 points in Game 3 was one of the best defensive clinics I've ever seen.

As MJ said before the 98 finals "Physically we might be a little tired but we have the heart. Our heart is never tired."

poop
04-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Malone trumps Duncan easily.

Lebron trumps Kobe easily.

Killakobe81
04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Malone is great but rings and clutch performances matter.

Duncan>>Malone.

Fpoonsie
04-20-2010, 03:30 PM
FUCK Karl Malone. Hope he gets cancer of the asshole.

SomeCallMeTim
04-20-2010, 07:15 PM
He's no Tim Duncan, but #2 is his spot forever.

Duncan is no Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, or Russell, but he and Shaq can duke it out for #6.

Spurminator
04-20-2010, 07:22 PM
He was on the roids.

z0sa
04-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Duncan is no Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, or Russell, but he and Shaq can duke it out for #6.

Hakeem is debatable. I'll give you the rest. The Shaq/Duncan vs anyone debate is still a little premature though. We should wait til at least Shaq hangs it up.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-20-2010, 07:44 PM

I agree, there's no way Duncan would have been able to dominate 6'5" honkies the way Bill Russell did.

ezau
04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
They're doing it to piss off Mavs fans.

He was great, great work ethic, keeping his body in that kind of shape until 40 is unbelievable.

He'll never outlive his reputation for getting afraid in the playoffs though. Had a bit of a "hot potato" syndrome in key moments, even though compared to Garnett he is Mr. Clutch in that regard :toast

I think between Noringski and Malone, the jumpshooting 7'0 German is the bigger choker. On the other hand, I would clearly pick a young Malone over a young Noringski if I were building a young team.

ezau
04-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Kobe can settle for the 10th greatest-greatest-guard of-all-time spot.

SomeCallMeTim
04-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Kobe can settle for the 10th greatest-greatest-guard of-all-time spot.

Which still at worst puts him as a top-25 player in NBA history. How terrible.

The TroutBum
04-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Too bad he let 19 years go down the shitter when he bolted Utah in order to have a 'bought' championship with Utah's biggest rival. Epic fail, ass fuck. Malone will forever be a Laker to me, and therefore, an ass hole.

ezau
04-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Which still at worst puts him as a top-25 player in NBA history. How terrible.

Nothing wrong with that. However, TD can gladly settle in the top 10 GOAT list. Kobe can only slobber while looking from the outside:toast

lefty
04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
They would have won a couple if it wasn't for your Bulls

Booharv
04-21-2010, 08:30 AM
I agree, there's no way Duncan would have been able to dominate 6'5" honkies the way Bill Russell did.

Watching tape of Russell you can tell he was very athletic, its not really his fault he played in a weak era. That being said, according to Bill Simmons book, Tommy Heinsohn was smoking unfiltered cigarettes at half time and averaging 10 boards as a 6'6 unathletic PF back then.

Chomag
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
quite impressive how durable all the players were back then. it seemed like none of the big time players ever missed any games. a tribute to their work ethic?

I have been wondering this myself. Injuries used to be pretty rare and hardly a concern. Now a days your lucky to have any of your stars left. I honestly have no idea why though.

Johnny RIngo
04-21-2010, 01:26 PM

The most telling thing about Russel is his low FG%. Also, the fact that the average league FG percentage was much lower back then explains some of the freakish rebounding numbers that he and Wilt were putting up. Of course, he's a great defensive player but I can't imagine him being any better than a prime Rodman if he played in the modern NBA.

DJB
04-21-2010, 01:29 PM

:lol

jag
04-21-2010, 03:19 PM
His below-the-waist slaps that he'd take at the ball drove me absolutely crazy.

And I have a hard time seeing how he's the greatest pf ever when he had 19 years to bring his city a championship and couldn't do it.

Will Bron be considered the greatest if he ends with no rings? No

picc84
04-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Even at that old ass age, Malone still put in serious work on that Laker team. Talk about intangibles, he had them up the ass, in addition to still being able to ball. One of the smartest players i've ever gotten to watch on my team.

picc84
04-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Don't know if anyone remembers the stint he did on TNT studios, but Malone was the best game analyst i've ever seen before. Incredibly smart insight and stuff no one would have thought of.

angelbelow
04-21-2010, 04:39 PM
I have been wondering this myself. Injuries used to be pretty rare and hardly a concern. Now a days your lucky to have any of your stars left. I honestly have no idea why though.

well its either work ethic or steroids.