PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina church EXCOMMUNICATES all Democrats

Nbadan
05-06-2005, 12:56 PM
East Waynesville Baptist asked nine members to leave. Now 40 more have left the church in protest. Former members say Pastor Chan Chandler gave them the ultimatum, saying if they didn't support George Bush, they should resign or repent.

Here (http://www.spiffarino.completelyfreehosting.com/images/wlos.wmv) is a link to a video of the malay

The state should not tell citizens how to worship and the church should not tell parishioners how to vote or parishioners who hold public office what policies they can and cannot implement.

Pastor Chandler has crossed the line. His church is now no more a house of worship than are offices of the North Carolina Republican Committee.

When officers of the state dictate religious belief, then it is time to remove them from the office whose power they have abused and the trust in which they have betrayed. When a church starts dictating political doctrine to the level of for which candidates one should vote, then it is time for parishioners of conscience to leave that church and for the state to revoke its tax exemption.

We should applaud the nine members who felt they had nothing to repent and just as much we should applaud the 40 members, who presumably voted for Bush last November, who stand with them.

mookie2001
05-06-2005, 01:04 PM
ROFL

i could see this happening, bush supporters should start their own sect of christianity
its gotta be a sin to think god has any political affiliation

jalbre6
05-06-2005, 01:12 PM
That's fucked up. Yet another reason why religion disgusts me lately.

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 01:15 PM
There is no excuse for what that pastor did.

I award this story my prestigious Idiot Cracker Monkey Moment Award.

Medvedenko
05-06-2005, 01:16 PM
I forgot....I thought Jesus stood for equality, peace, and love for ALL....
This is just sad....

The Ressurrected One
05-06-2005, 01:24 PM
I forgot....I thought Jesus stood for equality, peace, and love for ALL....
This is just sad....
Once again, you're confusing religion with belief.

SPARKY
05-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Please allow me to be the first to state that I don't give a fuck.

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm sure Democrats will lather themselves into a frenzy with predictions that all us right-wingers are going to start dragging them out of their homes and throwing them into boxcars headed for the death camps.

jalbre6
05-06-2005, 01:35 PM
This isn't true for all churches, but way too fucking many have become nothing more than political action committees that serve communion.

jalbre6
05-06-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm sure Democrats will lather themselves into a frenzy with predictions that all us right-wingers are going to start dragging them out of their homes and throwing them into boxcars headed for the death camps.

Naw, us liberals are the ones who like public transportation. We'll probably get in the boxcars willingly.

mookie2001
05-06-2005, 01:38 PM

yeah this story really shows what bastards those leftist democrats are

maybe on sundays they can just take day-vacations...no, no that wont happen

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Naw, us liberals are the ones who like public transportation. We'll probably get in the boxcars willingly.I'll have to mention that at the next meeting of the VRWC. We'll just tell the liberals it's the newest idea in mass transit.

The Ressurrected One
05-06-2005, 01:41 PM
I'll have to mention that at the next meeting of the VRWC. We'll just tell the liberals it's the newest idea in mass transit.
Form the motion and I'll second it.

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 01:41 PM
yeah this story really shows what bastards those leftist democrats are

maybe on sundays they can just take day-vacations...no, no that wont happen

Conservative <> Christian Right.

Anyway, I think I'll go dig out one of those old stories on the WTO riots and hyperventilate about that. Because of course everybody on the left behaves like the rioters, right?

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 01:51 PM
P.S. Waynesville is a freaking backwoods hole behind a mountain in Appalachia, ten minutes from Great Smokies National Park. Most of the people in that church have blue skin, no teeth, and are married to their siblings.

Upon review, I'm with SPARKY. This is nothing for people this far gone into crackerdom.

Medvedenko
05-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Left or right...who gives a fuck....If I'm mixing religion and belief than give me belief rather than some man made bullshit that facilitates political posturing. I'm sure God can give a shit about Liberals or Republicans.

SPARKY
05-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Left or right...who gives a fuck....If I'm mixing religion and belief than give me belief rather than some man made bullshit that facilitates political posturing. I'm sure God can give a shit about Liberals or Republicans.

Good. Let God deal with it.

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 01:59 PM
English: If it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!

BronxCowboy
05-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Well, I'm not that worried about the "political persecution" that's going on there. You wouldn't catch me in one of those hypocrite dens anyway. The real problem behind this story is that the woship of these people is being tainted. By making God into a Republican or a Democrat or whatever the preacher thinks he is, the church is really demeaning their own faith by putting God down on their own level. That kind of worship is meaningless. I hope that this helps some of the people sitting in the pews and listening to political propaganda instead of spiritual guidance wake up and realize what's been going on. Get some real religion or don't even pretend to have any. I don't give a shit what your political affiliation is. Don't try to create God in your own image.

dcole50
05-06-2005, 02:54 PM
haha. thanks to chan chadler for providing the funniest story of the day. what a fuckup.

as for the people who were excommunicated (again, wow), they can find another church. i was a fairly religious person at one point in time and i changed churches on more than one occassion because of ideological differences. they'll be fine.

Nbadan
05-07-2005, 02:29 AM

This would be much more laughable if House bill HR 235, with 165 co-signers were not intent on blurring the existing line between religion and politics.

Key Points - Understanding HR 235 (http://www.hr235.org/)
Above all else, HR 235 is about recognizing the need to return a stolen right from our nation's houses of worship. Prior to 1954, churches were free to speak out about any and every topic - without government limitations.

Political pressure is building on a powerful House lawmaker to remove the so-called IRS "muzzle" that prevents religious leaders from endorsing political candidates from the pulpit.

Nbadan
05-07-2005, 02:39 AM
More...Here is a small quote from a PDF file of bill HR 235

<snip> No member or leader of an organization described in section 501(q) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (as added by section 2) shall be prohibited from expressing personal views on political matters or elections for public office during regular religious services, so long as these views are not disseminated beyond the members and guests assembled together at the service. For purposes of the preceding sentence, dissemination beyond the members and guests assembled together at a service includes a mailing that results in more than an incremental cost to the organization and any electioneering communication under section 304(f) of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (2 U.S.C. 434(f)). Nothing in the amendment made by section 2 shall be construed to permit any disbursements for electioneering communications or political expenditures prohibited by the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971.</>

What they want to do is turn churches and those easily manipulated, into a part of the NeoConservative echo chamber that diseminates hate and intolerance, and all the while not pay taxes and hide contributions from key lobbyiest like Jack Abramham, Enron money sitting in off-shore accounts, and rebuilding money stolen from the people of Iraq and now sitting in foreign accounts

BronxCowboy
05-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Nbadan, I understand your concern and agree that the motives behind it are less than noble, nonetheless, I can't deny that this is a legitimate free speech issue. I don't like to see clergy telling their parishoners how to vote, but you shouldn't be able to tell anybody when and where they can or cannot express their opinion.

ChumpDumper
05-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Goodbye, nonprofit status.

Bandit2981
05-07-2005, 03:11 PM
By making God into a Republican or a Democrat or whatever the preacher thinks he is, the church is really demeaning their own faith by putting God down on their own level. That kind of worship is meaningless....I don't give a shit what your political affiliation is. Don't try to create God in your own image.
very well put...right on the money

Useruser666
05-07-2005, 07:28 PM
This is a stupid topic to discuss. There are churches that have people handle rattlesnakes too. They're just as idiotic and have nothing to do with politics.

Bandit2981
05-07-2005, 08:24 PM
This is a stupid topic to discuss. There are churches that have people handle rattlesnakes too. They're just as idiotic and have nothing to do with politics.
huh? kicking people out of the church for the sole fact they are democrats sounds political to me

DrRich
05-09-2005, 04:00 PM
They were not all democrats. Some were republicans that just did not agree with what this nut job was trying to do. What cracks me up is all you idoits that think because one idoitic pastor does this then all christians must agree and are card carrying members of the "Far Right Wing"

No I don't agree with what this guy did, but that does not mean all Christians have to be part of this movement. I, personally, get up and walk out when sermons become political in nature.

My other question is who owns this church? I am Catholic by faith and have never really understood who actually owns the Church when concerning other denominations. As for Catholics, we have a higher authority to whom we can appeal. Baptist on the other hand, have no such organizational hierarchy.

Useruser666
05-09-2005, 04:36 PM
huh? kicking people out of the church for the sole fact they are democrats sounds political to me

Did you read what I posted? The people with the snakes have nothing to do with politics. And the people kicking out the democrats are just as stupid.

Bandit2981
05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Did you read what I posted? The people with the snakes have nothing to do with politics. And the people kicking out the democrats are just as stupid.
of course i read it, maybe im not understanding your point. i thought your beef was this story didnt have anything to do with politics, which it does...but are you saying any of these groups are idiots and why get worked up about it?

Spurminator
05-09-2005, 04:45 PM
There will always be some political element to churches everywhere, whether they are hardcore whitebread conservative churches in Tulia, Texas, or hardcore Democrat black churches in southern Dallas. Unless we are going to begin wiretapping sermons and levying fines or revoking tax exempt status, there's not much that can be done in most cases.

This definitely crosses the line, though, and I would expect some sort of reprocussions if the problem is not resolved.

violentkitten
05-09-2005, 04:55 PM
nothing better than overgeneralizing based on a few random crazies

Guru of Nothing
05-09-2005, 11:27 PM
As for Catholics, we have a higher authority to whom we can appeal.

Unless gay man-boy sex is involved, then your only hope is the media.

Nbadan
05-10-2005, 12:46 AM
They were not all democrats. Some were republicans that just did not agree with what this nut job was trying to do. What cracks me up is all you idoits that think because one idoitic pastor does this then all christians must agree and are card carrying members of the "Far Right Wing"

We may kid each other, but I hardly think that anyone here seriously thinks that the Paster at this North Carolina church is the norm. However, with the introduction of HR 235 and with strong support from house members, the line that once separated church and state is becoming ever more blurred. What's next? Giving PAC's religious status?

The long-term effect is that this could back-fire on churches and religion. Look at the church of England. Having involved themselves in the muddleness of politics since its inception, they can't beg people to show up for services on Sundays anymore.

Ocotillo
05-10-2005, 08:20 AM
P.S. Waynesville is a freaking backwoods hole behind a mountain in Appalachia, ten minutes from Great Smokies National Park. Most of the people in that church have blue skin, no teeth, and are married to their siblings.

Upon review, I'm with SPARKY. This is nothing for people this far gone into crackerdom.

When a "liberal" says something like this they are branded an "elitist" by the wingnuts.....

What is it when the "conservative" says this?

Ocotillo
05-10-2005, 08:24 AM
I am ok with the preacher doing this. It's his right because he has the freedom to practice his religion how he sees fit. The people are free to find another church.

I am also for pulling out the magnifying glass and showing this pastor and his flock over and over again in the media.

That is simply employing a tried and true wingnut tactic. Find some extremist from the "other side" and repeat the story as often as possible while associating the nutjob with your political opponents.

Pastor Chandler should be invited to as many cable news shows as possible to share his vision with all of us.

Extra Stout
05-10-2005, 08:49 AM
Pastor Chandler should be invited to as many cable news shows as possible to share his vision with all of us.He'd need subtitles to be understood:

"Ah jes' thin'is Pesnit he'bin gib'n 'thordee f'm Gawd, an' 'f'eni'un he stan'gin's'm, 'at's'a Devil toggin'. S'I'ses, cas'm'out!!"

jalbre6
05-10-2005, 09:24 AM
I am ok with the preacher doing this. It's his right because he has the freedom to practice his religion how he sees fit. The people are free to find another church.

I am also for pulling out the magnifying glass and showing this pastor and his flock over and over again in the media.

That is simply employing a tried and true wingnut tactic. Find some extremist from the "other side" and repeat the story as often as possible while associating the nutjob with your political opponents.

Pastor Chandler should be invited to as many cable news shows as possible to share his vision with all of us.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

The Ressurrected One
05-10-2005, 10:16 AM
This goes to freedom of association...

I'm okay with all forms of discrimination so long as they aren't practiced by the government or anyone receiving funds, subsidies, or support from the government.

Period.

Useruser666
05-10-2005, 10:23 AM
of course i read it, maybe im not understanding your point. i thought your beef was this story didnt have anything to do with politics, which it does...but are you saying any of these groups are idiots and why get worked up about it?

I don't see why people are getting worked up over something like that. But it raises a question. Do you have the right to participate in a religion that does not want you as a practicing member?

The Ressurrected One
05-10-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't see why people are getting worked up over something like that. But it raises a question. Do you have the right to participate in a religion that does not want you as a practicing member?
I would say no.

But, I also believe the Civil Rights Act of 1964 doesn't apply to privately owned businesses that do not derive any of their income from the government.

I also believe smoking ordinances ignore property rights...

and on and on we go.

Nbadan
05-10-2005, 07:05 PM

Seems like you may get your wish...the wingnut has 'resigned'...

May 10, 2005
Pastor Accused of Running Out Dems Quits
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:32 p.m. ET

WAYNESVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- A Baptist preacher accused of running out nine congregants who refused to support President Bush resigned Tuesday.

''I am resigning with gratitude in my heart for all of you,'' the Rev. Chan Chandler said as he left a closed-door meeting at East Waynesville Baptist Church.

Congregants of the 100-member church in western North Carolina have said that Chandler endorsed Bush from the pulpit during last year's presidential campaign and said that anyone who planned to vote for Democratic nominee Sen. John Kerry needed to ''repent or resign.''

The church members said he continued to preach about politics after Bush won re-election, culminating with a church gathering last week in which the nine members said they were ousted.

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Church-Politics.html)

I expect Chandler will get picked up by FAUX News anyday now.

mookie2001
05-11-2005, 11:53 AM

i could not even begin to verbally assault you enough to satisfy myself

Clandestino
05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
just joined the topic.. but i think he can say whatever the fuck he wants to, BUT the church should lose its tax privileges..