PDA

View Full Version : James Madison Raided by Police, 900 Photographs Seized!

Galileo
04-20-2010, 02:05 PM
James Madison Raided by Police, 900 Photographs Seized!

Nothing is sacred

Society of Professional Journalists outraged over police raid of JMU student newspaper

The Society of Professional Journalists condemns the raid made by Virginia police and Marsha Garst, Commonwealth’s Attorney for Rockingham County and the City of Harrisonburg, of the James Madison University student newspaper, The Breeze.

According to The Roanoke Times, officers confiscated more than 900 photographs, over 600 of which were of the Springfest riot on April 10.

MORE:

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/state_regional/article/society_of_professional_journalists_outraged_over_ police_raid_of_jmu_studen/94361/

:nope

admiralsnackbar
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
The article doesn't mention whether or not there was a court order that justified the seizure of the evidence. If there wasn't, they probably have a good basis for open-and-shut litigation; if not, I expect it will ultimately go to the SCOTUS since courts love to pass the buck on 1st amendment stuff.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Eh, they had a warrant and the pics are sealed until the issue is decided in the courts.

Did they just refuse to hand them over when asked out of principle? What if they had captured a pretty white girl being sexually assaulted?

admiralsnackbar
04-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Eh, they had a warrant and the pics are sealed until the issue is decided in the courts.
Did you do more research, or did I just totally miss that bit?

Did they just refuse to hand them over when asked out of principle? What if they had captured a pretty white girl being sexually assaulted?

On the other hand: what would have happened with the Watergate scandal if law enforcement could have demanded that Woodward and Bernstein give up Deep Throat? By limiting the amount of protection journalists can offer their subjects, you affect the quality of journalism, and thus, impinge upon the 1st Amendment, no?

Galileo
04-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Photos seized by police at JMU held pending negotiations

News of this incident has traveled quickly, garnering outcry from many major organizations.

Another letter was sent to Garst by Gwen Woolf, President of the Virginia Press Women, saying she was “dumbfounded” upon hearing what had happened, referring to Friday’s incident as a “Gestapo-like raid.”

http://www.splc.org/newsflash.asp?id=2075&year=

Chumper supports the Gestapo and hates our Founding Fathers.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Did you do more research, or did I just totally miss that bit?Research.

On the other hand: what would have happened with the Watergate scandal if law enforcement could have demanded that Woodward and Bernstein give up Deep Throat? By limiting the amount of protection journalists can offer their subjects, you affect the quality of journalism, and thus, impinge upon the 1st Amendment, no?Are pictures of a public event, many of which were already published, confidential sources?

As I said, the courts will decide this issue. I'm not surprised the paper's knee-jerk reaction was to not cooperate, nor am I surprised at the warrant and resulting raid in response.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Photos seized by police at JMU held pending negotiations

http://www.splc.org/newsflash.asp?id=2075&year=

Chumper supports the Gestapo and hates our Founding Fathers.It didn't take you and some other third party douche to Godwin this thread.

Galileo
04-20-2010, 04:36 PM
It didn't take you and some other third party douche to Godwin this thread.

Seizure of photos was out of line
http://www.newsleader.com/article/20100420/OPINION01/4200314

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Wow.

Opinion.

Of members of the press.

Incredible.

spursncowboys
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
I thought my old high school finally got cleaned up.