PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Temple to start?

Shank
04-20-2010, 02:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/chat/_/id/31994/espndallas-jeff-caplan

dan (preston center)

is george hill healthy enough for game 2? i assume we will see parker as the starting PG? should mavs be making adjustments for this?

Jeff Caplan (3:15 PM)

Speaking of Mr. Hill. He will be a game-time decision for Game 2. Popovich just said, and this comes from out in San Antone, that even if Hill is a no-go that Parker will come off the bench, which would mean rookie Garrett Temple will start. I guess Pop wants to make sure he has some scoring punch off the bench with Roger Mason having a terrible season. Now, how healthy is Hill? We don't know. After Game 1 Pop seemed to indicate that he didn't like Hill's aggressiveness and seemed to suggest that it was because of Hill's foot. Hill refuted any talk of his ankle hurting and even refuted Pop that he wasn't being aggressive enough. I tend to go with Pop seeing how Hill went scoreless. I've maintained that Hill is the key to the series for the Spurs. They have to get scoring out of him.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
"It's still a little tender," Hill said. "I tried to give it a go Sunday, but it really wasn't all the way there. Hopefully, by Wednesday I'll be ready."

I wouldn't mind seeing Hill rested until game 3 TBH... I think its still too risky to have him playing on it while its tender.

Temple can start, and if he shows us something, great. Otherwise pull him out and put Mason in there. Not like there are a lot of options here.

Spursmania
04-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Hill was playing so damn good before his injury.:bang

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I don't understand Pop...

If Garrett Temple is good enough to start game 2...

Why in God's name did he not play in game 1 over Mason and Bogans...

That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Big P
04-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Why not..the kids showed some nice upside..he deserves some more pt & if Hill really needs the rest, do we really have a choice...I never want to see mason play pg for us again.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Otherwise pull him out and put Mason in there. Not like there are a lot of options here.

What has Mason done the past 2 months to make you believe Mason would make a difference?

cd98
04-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Pop doesn't always make sense. But if you're Pop after game one, you are saying to yourself, the 8 guys that we used last week weren't enough to get us a win. We have nothing to lose as we are expected to get beat by the Mavs in round one.

Why not give a guy that has created energy on defense a chance to play with Ginoboli and Duncan and see if he can make a difference?

At worst, he plays two minutes, turns the ball over, and sits on the bench for the rest of the series. But he may give the spark that the front court needs. No question he will make any rotations from double teams faster than most any other spur in the backcourt.

cd98
04-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Why not..the kids showed some nice upside..he deserves some more pt & if Hill really needs the rest, do we really have a choice...I never want to see mason play pg for us again.

Agreed. Mason overdribbles at the point. All he can do is dribble up, wait for someone to set a screen, and then dribble around the screener to see if he can get an open jumpshot. If he can't, and after he's eaten up 8 seconds on the shot clock, he passes the ball and does not touch it again in the rest of the play.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 02:55 PM
What has Mason done the past 2 months to make you believe Mason would make a difference?

Spurs don't really have any other options if Temple chokes and can't handle the pressure of a big playoff game.

Mason has struggled to find his shot but as crazy as this sounds he looked sharp in that 1st game, his shots all looked good and barely rimmed out and his defensive footwork looked crisp. He made a poor decision to go under a pick for one Kidd 3 so of course he was blamed for the entire loss as usual.

rjv
04-20-2010, 02:59 PM
I never want to see mason play pg for us again.

i don't mind if he gets in there for the hack a dampier strategy but for the most part +1 on your sentiment. mason is just awful.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2010, 03:00 PM
At worst, he plays two minutes, turns the ball over, and sits on the bench for the rest of the series. But he may give the spark that the front court needs. No question he will make any rotations from double teams faster than most any other spur in the backcourt.

Have you watched any games the past month??

Temple has been by far the better player than Mason and Bogans combined.

There has been absolutely nothing about Mason or Bogans' performances in the past month and half that has indicated that they deserve playing time over Temple in the first place.

Pop is just too stubborn with his infatuation with veterans, and it will cost this team if he doesn't change quickly.

Nothing about Mason or Bogans' game has indicated that they will turn it around anytime soon. We've been waiting all year and it hasn't happened...What makes Pop think it will change now?

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Spurs don't really have any other options if Temple chokes and can't handle the pressure of a big playoff game.

Mason has struggled to find his shot but as crazy as this sounds he looked sharp in that 1st game, his shots all looked good and barely rimmed out and his defensive footwork looked crisp. He made a poor decision to go under a pick for one Kidd 3 so of course he was blamed for the entire loss as usual.

Mason hasn't done a damn thing in 3 months...

Temple has outplayed him the ever since we signed him, including big games in the regular season.

Mason needs to have his role redefined that is identical to that of Jack Haley's during the run in 1995.

Flux451
04-20-2010, 03:22 PM
it brings a tear to my eye seeing Mason and Bogans get PT over Temple after he has played so well.

nkdlunch
04-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Temple > Mason

SenorSpur
04-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Have you watched any games the past month??

Temple has been by far the better player than Mason and Bogans combined.

There has been absolutely nothing about Mason or Bogans' performances in the past month and half that has indicated that they deserve playing time over Temple in the first place.

Pop is just too stubborn with his infatuation with veterans, and it will cost this team if he doesn't change quickly.

Nothing about Mason or Bogans' game has indicated that they will turn it around anytime soon. We've been waiting all year and it hasn't happened...What makes Pop think it will change now?

And let's not forget last year when Pop inexplicably benched Hill for the final months of the regular season and into the playoffs, choosing instead to go with Jacque Vaughn, as backup PG to TP. After getting nothing out of JV and with the Mavs series nearly over, he elected dust off Hill in Game 5. Hill responded and played well. Therefore proving, once again, that sometimes talent DOES trump experience.

crc21209
04-20-2010, 03:51 PM
I still dont think that Hill's ankle is bothering him. I think it was more him not wanting to do anything that would risk him re-injuring the ankle...

EMS33
04-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Hill will play if he's healthy and no one is going to say anything until game time because POP doesn't want the Mavs to make adjustments. If Hill does not play then Temple should be in the starting lineup. He showed quickness, aggressiveness, and he is not scared to take the open shot when he has it and play with the vets. Also his defense was substantially better than Roger Mason Jr. It does not really matter because Manu will be handling the ball in the starting lineup so the other guard is just going to have to be ready to hit the corner three or an open jumper and play D. Which Mason has not been able to do either all season.

duncan228
04-20-2010, 04:26 PM
"It's still a little tender," Hill said. "I tried to give it a go Sunday, but it really wasn't all the way there. Hopefully, by Wednesday I'll be ready."

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/04/deja-vu-again-h.html

DAF86
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Start Tony with or without Hill.

EMS33
04-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Tony will not start this series everyone in the Organization has made that very clear. It might happen later in the series as an act of desperation. POP needs a scoring threat off the bench, just like Manu has been all these years. Now it is Tony's turn due to his injury and Manu playing at All-Star level.

SpursTillTheEnd
04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Temple should start we need tony off the bench

Shank
04-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Is Parker 100%? He hasn't looked like his old self these past couple games, not seeing the explosiveness on the drive.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2010, 04:46 PM
I love how the Spurs don't see the need to start their best players. Maybe Curtis Jerrels can start for the Spurs tonight!

duncan228
04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Is Parker 100%? He hasn't looked like his old self these past couple games, not seeing the explosiveness on the drive.

He's got plantar fasciitis, don't know if he'll get to 100%.

Obstructed_View
04-20-2010, 04:51 PM

Has anyone even asked Parker about how much better his feet feel after sitting out? If so I missed it.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2010, 04:52 PM

In a recent interview he said that his ankle and PF injuries are a thing of the past.

And that the time off, due to his injured hand has helped heal both his foot injuries.

DesignatedT
04-20-2010, 04:53 PM

His role has changed. He plays off the ball a lot more now. since manu has been on a tear as of late.

DesignatedT
04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Mason shouldn't see another minute this whole playoffs.

Dex
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Mason shouldn't see another minute this whole playoffs.

:tu

I've tried to back up Mason as long as possible, but the guy did nothing but hurt us every time he saw the floor. Missing shots, fumbling the ball, fouling Dirk...I'm not sure if Mason could turn in much worse of a performance.

If you want to play the optimist, there's nowhere to go but up after that.

Give Temple a try. He can't possibly do any worse.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2010, 05:01 PM

He's desperate. It took him until what, the last game of the series last year to give Hill any decent run? At least he's learning...

EMS33
04-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Tony has mentioned several times that he is 100% and has been for weeks. No pain whatsoever. The issue is that Manu has played so well and the Offense has kind of Gelled around him. Think as it if they are switching roles. It does not make a difference. They are both going to be in at the end of the game, both going to get more minutes than any other guard, and both going to handle the ball when the other one is out. All be need the other guards to do (Temple/Mason/Bogans) is hit open shots and play good D. So far Mason hasn't been able to and Bogans has one of the wost Player ratings. The only time I see Mason or Bogans hit big shots is when we are playing bad teams. Late in the season Temple played well on both ends against tough teams. Give him a chance we are not asking him to do much, just a little bit more then bogans and mason which is not alot. Plus when Hill comes back Temple might not play, he is worth a shot. We do not have many other options.

ace3g
04-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Hopefully if Temple gets some minutes, he can hit the 3, he has atleast shown more accuracy from the 3 then Mason and Bogans in his limited minutes. If he can hit the corner 3, Pop will have no other choice but to play Temple over Mason.

HankChinaski
04-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Parker is mostly just rusty and unfamiliar with the team after missing a month. It hasn't been a familiar team all season till march came around when he was out. Expect parker to become more comfortable with each game. I also expect Parker to be in the starting lineup for wednesday.

I don't think G. Hill's ankle is the real issue. I think he's a bit overwhelmed perhaps with the expectations placed on him right now. It's a case of mental > physical right now for Hill. I think Pop is going to place him with the second unit and see if he can relax and gel there for wednesday. Jefferson I think is a maybe with getting the similar treatment but I think they'll leave him where he is at and see if sunday was sunday and comes out and does something worthy of what we brought him in for.

And expect some minutes from Temple. Not a lot....but he'll get some time on the floor either in the first half or coming out in the second if the fugly twins aka mason and bogans can't produce anything.

Shank
04-20-2010, 05:32 PM
His role has changed. He plays off the ball a lot more now. since manu has been on a tear as of late.

I'm referring more to his ability to streak into the lane and blow by defenders. I don't know if it's injury or not, but he hasn't looked as explosive in this last week as he did even in last year's series.

HankChinaski
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm referring more to his ability to streak into the lane and blow by defenders. I don't know if it's injury or not, but he hasn't looked as explosive in this last week as he did even in last year's series.

It isn't a matter of explosiveness, he is just trying too hard to create for the team instead of just taking it to the bucket.

Shank
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
It isn't a matter of explosiveness, he is just trying too hard to create for the team instead of just taking it to the bucket.

Then expect to see a similar output from Parker as he mentioned today the need to get his teammates involved more.

HankChinaski
04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Well if he explodes into the paint and gets to the line having dallas pick up fouls he'll do two things. limit players on the floor for dallas and create more pressure inside the paint on d when he has the ball then he can create and throw out to the corner man for the 3 bucket or to someone else to slide in while the defense is converging on him.

Blackjack
04-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm baffled when it comes to Hill. I'm not sure what they're thinking or what to totally believe at this point.

If the ankle wasn't right, why would they not hold him out of Game 1? With the way the schedule is laid out and the days off the start the series, he would've had a week to get that thing right (or at least close to). Just doesn't make sense; now you're okay with starting Temple? Why not Game 1?

And the other thing that's got me concerned/perplexed/worried is the answer I just heard 'Dyess give Mike Taylor when asked if George's performance was due to him being "a little freaked out". The answer (paraphrasing): Absolutely. He also hasn't had time on the court to find a rhythm and get comfortable since the injury.

Now 'Dyess could have heard or interpreted that question wrong, the whole "freaked out" bit, but what if he didn't? I have a hard time believing George was scared or caved under pressure (I want and tend to believe the injury was playing with his mind and limiting him, which, combined with the pressure of the moment, was just too much) but what if he did? If there's any truth to it (and hopefully there's not much, if any), George needs to go back to the 2 alongside Tony in the starting unit; that is if it's a mental thing more than anything.

Most seem to forget how this team was playing before Tony went down and that Parker and Hill starting, with Manu orchestrating the bench (making much more productive players out of RJ and Blair), this team was playing well and finding their stride. I'm not all that enthused with the prospect of Bogans starting (it's quite nauseating, actually) but the options are limited. Call me crazy, but I'd try Temple; it couldn't hurt to have three ballhandlers on the court, all of which can make a play and attack off the dribble.

I swear, it's always something this year . . .

DPG21920
04-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Blackjeezy, I am not at all surprised if Hill is shaken. He has somewhat of a knack for missing shots against big teams, at least if my memory serves me right. He always seems to play scared against the better teams in the league.

So this does not surprise me at all to be honest. He has to learn to play the same way no matter the opponent.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Sit everyone.

Spurs aren't going to win anything.

DPG21920
04-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Sit everyone.

Spurs are going to win anything.

They are?

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Edited.

DPG21920
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Edited.

Too late. You said it.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Too late. You said it.They'll win a couple of quarters of these games on the way to being swept.

HankChinaski
04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
is negativity really necessary? I for one am just talking options and speculating. You on the other hand are either some sort of person who will be claiming to be a realist or you're not even a spurs fan.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 06:05 PM
is negativity really necessary? I for one am just talking options and speculating. You on the other hand are either some sort of person who will be claiming to be a realist or you're not even a spurs fan.I am speculating the the Spurs will be swept. It would be nice to be wrong.

I'm all for starting Temple. I don't think it would affect my speculation though.

HankChinaski
04-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Well, something a little more constructive with the comment next time because you are sending the wrong message with something short like that. Comes out like something different entirely then. That's all I'll say

ChumpDumper
04-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Sending the wrong message to whom?

The Spurs?

And why is it wrong?

It's merely speculation. I'd love to be wrong, but that has yet to be determined.

benefactor
04-20-2010, 06:16 PM
The Spurs could just a easily be swept as they could push the series to seven. I see no reason to knock CD for his opinion.

HankChinaski
04-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Sending the wrong message to whom?

The Spurs?

And why is it wrong?

It's merely speculation. I'd love to be wrong, but that has yet to be determined.

I meant you are sending the message about yourself.

Because I mistook what you were saying as tanking loser talk. Instead of something else.

HankChinaski
04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
The Spurs could just a easily be swept as they could push the series to seven. I see no reason to knock CD for his opinion.

You're both right but nothing is said about how that will come about. Like he could come out and say where his reason behind that is. Like Dallas is just deeper or whatever, but he didn't. He just merely threw something out without anything to back it up so I mistook it for what i thought it was.

Anyhow

Like I mentioned earlier, they'll give Temple a shot. not in the first half but maybe in the second quarter if mason and bogans look like shit out there.

TJastal
04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
He just merely threw something out without anything to back it up so I mistook it for what i thought it was.

Trust me, you'll get used to this from Chumpdumper.

Death In June
04-20-2010, 06:39 PM
At least he's learning...Is he? He sure seemed to have pulled Blair rather quickly.

HankChinaski
04-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Trust me, you'll get used to this from Chumpdumper.

OR I can counter with baseless fictional opinions.

Dallas will get torched by Parker getting a triple double because he ate some Wheaties with Timmy-D on the cover from one of our previous championships before game time.

Will be questionable for Game 3 though due to food poisoning.

Blackjack
04-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Blackjeezy, I am not at all surprised if Hill is shaken. He has somewhat of a knack for missing shots against big teams, at least if my memory serves me right. He always seems to play scared against the better teams in the league.

So this does not surprise me at all to be honest. He has to learn to play the same way no matter the opponent.

I like it. Blackjeezy ... I might be requesting another username tweak (for street cred purposes -- street cred for the interwebs). :tu

Shaken, as in scared? Yeah, that would surprise me. But I could see him getting into his head a bit and getting overwhelmed with the injury, the point guard responsibilities and the fact that he was being asked to start over Parker. I could see a combination of those factors getting to him.

George performed quite well last year against the Mavs and has always seemed to have some nice showings against teams like the Lakers (even if he didn't have as much responsibility and he wasn't the starting point guard), so I don't think there's some fragile psyche that's plaguing him against elite players and teams. I'm sure there's definitely an element of him being overwhelmed with all that he's having to deal with, I'm just hoping it's nothing that can't be overcome.

The fact that he was defiant with regards to being injured after the game and openly admits to not being healthy now, leads me to believe one of two things:

1.) His pride wouldn't allow an an excuse and/or he didn't want to cop to any kind of weakness that could be exploited.

2.) He flaked, freaked the hell out, and he and the Spurs are doing a bit of damage control when it comes to the media. (i.e: Yeah, he's hurt. Game-time decision.)

TD 21
04-20-2010, 07:10 PM

I think Pop views Temple as the poor man's Hill. He's long, relatively athletic and quick, can handle some, score in transition and he's been (surprisingly) shooting the corner three well. If the Spurs have a healthy Hill, there's really not a need for Temple, as they can just go to a three guard rotation. Without Hill they need someone who can provide at least some of what he does. Mason, Bogans and Hairston can't do that; they're different players.

Bogans I think should be in the rotation because he should be able to do a respectable job on Butler in stretches. He has the strength to guard him and Butler isn't overly explosive or creative off the dribble. Plus, someone has to be playing backup minutes on the perimeter and right now I'd take Bogans over...

Mason. I still think he can be a useful off the bench shooter/scorer in the league, but not for the remainder of this season. It's painfully obvious that between the torn ligaments in his pinky, the contraption he's wearing on his shooting hand and his shot confidence, that he's not going to be able to shoot anywhere near a high enough percentage from three to justify his playing time for the remainder of this season. Since he offers absolutely nothing else, I have no idea why he's still playing.

I get the sense that Pop isn't going to play Hill in game two. This is where the Spurs lack of depth becomes glaring. Not just in terms of quality players, but positionally. Save for Parker and Mahinmi, the entire bench is either an SG or a PF. Sure, they play Bogans at SF, Blair at C and Temple at PG, but that's not their natural positions.

SenorSpur
04-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Hopefully if Temple gets some minutes, he can hit the 3, he has atleast shown more accuracy from the 3 then Mason and Bogans in his limited minutes. If he can hit the corner 3, Pop will have no other choice but to play Temple over Mason.

Agree. If Temple can do that, I'd feel way more comfortable with him over the combo of Mason & Bogans.

SenorSpur
04-20-2010, 07:25 PM
I get the sense that Pop isn't going to play Hill in game two. This is where the Spurs lack of depth becomes glaring. Not just in terms of quality players, but positionally. Save for Parker and Mahinmi, the entire bench is either an SG or a PF. Sure, they play Bogans at SF, Blair at C and Temple at PG, but that's not their natural positions.

This is the result of Pop's "crack-addict" addiction to small-ball going viral. It started back in 2006 and he's still on it.

mingus
04-20-2010, 07:42 PM
the 3 point ball or lack there of is half of what is wrong with this team. the other being rebounding. if Temple can prove to be a threat from three the Spurs will be hard to beat. Parker/Manu/Temple is small, and i'm not sure if Temple can play the 3, but if he can, and RJ isn't doing anything (which is expected) i'd like to see it.

i think temple can be great for this team long run. if he had the practice with the time that RMJ and Bogans have had, he'd be more effective and know where his shots will come from. it's too bad he wasn't "discovered" earlier on. it'd be unfair to ask him to fill a big void that he's being asked to fill when he obivously isn't very acclimated to the system, but i look forward to his progress and having him back next year. hopefully he can pull through and be a sort of hero for us this series, but i doubt it. i know the guy isn't scared of the big lights though. if he sucks for us he's go out with a fight and not tuck his balls b/w his legs ala RMJ. gotta respect that.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2010, 08:46 PM
If the Spurs have a healthy Hill, there's really not a need for Temple, as they can just go to a three guard rotation. Without Hill they need someone who can provide at least some of what he does. Mason, Bogans and Hairston can't do that; they're different players. [quote

Bogans I think should be in the rotation because he should be able to do a respectable job on Butler in stretches. He has the strength to guard him and Butler isn't overly explosive or creative off the dribble. Plus, someone has to be playing backup minutes on the perimeter and right now I'd take Bogans over...

Mason. I still think he can be a useful off the bench shooter/scorer in the league, but not for the remainder of this season. It's painfully obvious that between the torn ligaments in his pinky, the contraption he's wearing on his shooting hand and his shot confidence, that he's not going to be able to shoot anywhere near a high enough percentage from three to justify his playing time for the remainder of this season. Since he offers absolutely nothing else, I have no idea why he's still playing.

Even with Hill in the rotation, Pop still tends to go to the Bogans/Mason combo for stints in the duration of the game. IMO Temple has been the biggest threat against the opposition than any of the 3 ( Bogans, Mason, Temple) on both ends of the floor.

IMO Temple has the skills of all the players you mentioned and he can play the 1,2 or 3. Yeah Mason has a better form and he's "suppose" to have the better shot. But Mason has been shooting below 25 percent since the All-Star break, and there's been no indication that it's improving. Temple on the other hand hasn't had the amount of sample size to accurately analyze, but he's been very impressive and has shot better percentages than both Mason and Bogans in the quality amount of time he's been given.

I just think it's necessary for Temple to see time over Mason and Bogans, because not only has he been the more productive player and not only is he the better all-around player, but also because teams wouldn't have the speed or athleticism advantage over us during any part of the game with Tony, Manu, RJ, Hill, and Temple ( over Mason and Bogans). I know people might not think of it as that big of a deal, but it is in many ways throughout the course of the game.

Whether it's by having quicker rotations out on the perimeter, quicker close outs, more effective transition defense ( on both initial transition d and post transition d when teams like to create mismatches out of transition offense when they set the offense back up). Offensively as well, we would be a more threatening team in transition, and we would be a more threatening team in the half-court offense because of his ability to break down the defense from a triple threat position when the ball is kicked out to him off of a Manu or Tony penetration. It would also help from the hustling stand point as he would be more productive in being quicker to long rebounds and quicker to get to loose balls. Being an overall better athlete is an instant advantage over the opposition. I know that may sound crazy, but I'm sure you have played a game of basketball where a more athletic/ more all around player was guarding you. You felt intimidated, you were skeptical, you weren't as confident on the offensive side of the floor. Same on the defensive end. The same scenario can relate whenever Mason is on the floor against Butler, Terry, Kidd, and yes even Barea. Bogans on the other hand, I can somewhat understand him being on the floor specifically to guard Butler, but to me Bogans has been favoring his ankle to an extent, his lateral quickness isn't where it usually is. Same with his overall speed and quickness, it's been slower than Masons and it's effected his ability to defend without having to foul.

Don't get me wrong, if Mason was shooting lights out, or if Bogans was Bowen like in his man to man defense, I wouldn't think Temple should play. But that's not the case. Mason has continued to shoot below 25% since the damn all-star break, and Bogans' defense has been inconsistent and suspect at best, in this case I rather go with the more athletic, all around player in Temple.

Injecting the rotation with Temple would make our team more versatile and active on both sides of the floor for the full 48 minutes oppose to when Mason and Bogans combine to see the floor for 25 minutes total like they did in Game 1. IMO

Example of Temple in initial transition D:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfZ2nz1ZEQo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfZ2nz1ZEQo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Example of Temple in transition offense:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1o9egGaldAY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1o9egGaldAY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZpGqzadSPM8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZpGqzadSPM8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

TD 21
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Even with Hill in the rotation, Pop still tends to go to the Bogans/Mason combo for stints in the duration of the game. IMO Temple has been the biggest threat against the opposition than any of the 3 ( Bogans, Mason, Temple) on both ends of the floor.

IMO Temple has the skills of all the players you mentioned and he can play the 1,2 or 3. Yeah Mason has a better form and he's "suppose" to have the better shot. But Mason has been shooting below 25 percent since the All-Star break, and there's been no indication that it's improving. Temple on the other hand hasn't had the amount of sample size to accurately analyze, but he's been very impressive and has shot better percentages than both Mason and Bogans in the quality amount of time he's been given.

I just think it's necessary for Temple to see time over Mason and Bogans, because not only has he been the more productive player and not only is he the better all-around player, but also because teams wouldn't have the speed or athleticism advantage over us during any part of the game with Tony, Manu, RJ, Hill, and Temple ( over Mason and Bogans). I know people might not think of it as that big of a deal, but it is in many ways throughout the course of the game.

Whether it's by having quicker rotations out on the perimeter, quicker close outs, more effective transition defense ( on both initial transition d and post transition d when teams like to create mismatches out of transition offense when they set the offense back up). Offensively as well, we would be a more threatening team in transition, and we would be a more threatening team in the half-court offense because of his ability to break down the defense from a triple threat position when the ball is kicked out to him off of a Manu or Tony penetration. It would also help from the hustling stand point as he would be more productive in being quicker to long rebounds and quicker to get to loose balls. Being an overall better athlete is an instant advantage over the opposition. I know that may sound crazy, but I'm sure you have played a game of basketball where a more athletic/ more all around player was guarding you. You felt intimidated, you were skeptical, you weren't as confident on the offensive side of the floor. Same on the defensive end. The same scenario can relate whenever Mason is on the floor against Butler, Terry, Kidd, and yes even Barea. Bogans on the other hand, I can somewhat understand him being on the floor specifically to guard Butler, but to me Bogans has been favoring his ankle to an extent, his lateral quickness isn't where it usually is. Same with his overall speed and quickness, it's been slower than Masons and it's effected his ability to defend without having to foul.

Don't get me wrong, if Mason was shooting lights out, or if Bogans was Bowen like in his man to man defense, I wouldn't think Temple should play. But that's not the case. Mason has continued to shoot below 25% since the damn all-star break, in that case I rather go with the more athletic, all around player in Temple.

It would make our team more versatile and active on both sides of the floor for the full 48 minutes oppose to when Mason and Bogans combine to see the floor for 25 minutes total like they did in Game 1.

We know Pop favors veteran players, particularly in the playoffs. But I also think he goes with those two over Temple because he thinks he'll get defense out of one and three point shooting out of the other. Never mind the fact that the former isn't all that good defensively and the latter can't make a shot to save his life. Whereas with Temple what specific skill does he provide, outside of ball handling? Which isn't as big of a need with Parker healthy and he and Ginobili playing extended minutes. I'm not saying I agree with this, just playing devil's advocate.

Mason's shooting isn't going to improve (at least not substantially) for the remainder of the season. This isn't the typical shooting slump that virtually everyone goes into, it's injury related and it's more than likely sapped him of his confidence as well. Pop keeps going to him, probably thinking "maybe tonight's the night he get's hot". It's not going to happen. Pop needs to accept this.

Good point about Temple offering more speed, quickness, athleticism and length than Bogans and Mason. I agree, that is important in the areas you alluded to that go beyond the box score. Being an all around better athlete is an instant advantage if you can play and have a high IQ for the game on top of that. But athleticism alone isn't enough.

spurtech09
04-20-2010, 09:17 PM
parker looks fine to me.....just needs to get in a rhythm

spurtech09
04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
let temple run wild in game 2 he has alot of energy

Cant_Be_Faded
04-20-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm all for it.

Unfortunately, starting a no-name rookie in the playoffs against the freakin mavericks at home means crystal nowitzki et al are going to foul the poor kid out in like five seconds

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2010, 09:32 PM
But athleticism alone isn't enough.

Well everyone knows that.

My point is Temple has been the better all around player than both Mason and Bogans since he's been here. The guy played 4 years of college, it's not like he came straight from high school and runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. This is evident for that fact that Temple came in here as an undrafted free agent in March and not only did he earn himself a multi-year contract, but he has started for a veteran team that has championship aspirations during a stretch of must win games. That itself should speak volumes about his basketball IQ for him to earn the trust from Popovich.

TD 21
04-20-2010, 09:51 PM
I meant that more as a general comment as opposed to a commentary on the Spurs situation.

A multi-year contract? Not really. It was the typical guarantee for the remainder of this season and a partial guarantee for next season. Technically, it's multi-year. In most of those cases that just means training camp fodder.

He started, but like I said, it was more about Pop looking to replace some of the things Hill did, having a scorer off the bench (Parker) and the Spurs overall lack of depth at the point. He didn't start because he's of starting quality.

If Hill doesn't play, I agree, Temple should play. But if Hill does play, he's not needed. The Spurs can go with three guards and use Bogans as the final member of the perimeter rotation. At least he has the strength to avoid being abused in the post.

Waps1980
04-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Temple should start if Hill isn't 100%.
Temple showed great signs in every games he's played since Hill went down.
He even plays a similar style to Hill which will work nice to keep the starting lineup settled.
TP in the starting line up won't work to much fire power and too many people that need the ball. He can control the second unit and have as much ball as he wants there.
TP will still get his minutes and be there at the end though.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
I meant that more as a general comment as opposed to a commentary on the Spurs situation.

A multi-year contract? Not really. It was the typical guarantee for the remainder of this season and a partial guarantee for next season. Technically, it's multi-year. In most of those cases that just means training camp fodder.

That's what I said. Forgive me for not getting into the specifics ( even though I was aware of his non-gauranteed multi-year deal). Pretty sure you're aware of what I meant.

He started, but like I said, it was more about Pop looking to replace some of the things Hill did, having a scorer off the bench (Parker) and the Spurs overall lack of depth at the point. He didn't start because he's of starting quality.

I never said that, my point that I was trying to make was that he obviously has some BBIQ to pick up the Spurs system as quickly as he did. And he did a great job starting even with the details needed to run a team during the stretch that he did. ( That was my response to you saying " Athleticism isn't enough".) Because obviously that isn't the case with Temple as you implicated.

TD 21
04-20-2010, 10:14 PM
It is semantics. Technically, you're right and yes, I did know what you meant.

I know you never said that, but you painted this picture like he's better than he actually is. I understand why you want him to play and don't necessarily disagree with it.

MaNu4Tres
04-20-2010, 10:24 PM
It is semantics. Technically, you're right and yes, I did know what you meant.

I know you never said that, but you painted this picture like he's better than he actually is. I understand why you want him to play and don't necessarily disagree with it.

My intentions were not to rant and rave about him like he's the next Scottie Pippen by any means. My intentions were to provide different necessary notions for you to understand why I believe he's the better option than Mason and Bogans. Which he's proved game after game for the past month.

(BTW This doesn't mean I'd give him an All-NBA vote in case you misunderstood).

Blackjack
04-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Roddy Beaubois, DeShawn Stevenson, Tim Thomas, Matt Carroll and Greg Buckner.

Why do I mention these name? Glad you asked. :tu

These are players picking up a check from the Mavs whom didn't see one-minute, not one-minute of court time. The Mavs used an 8-man rotation while the Spurs used 10.

Now ask yourself: Of the 5 mentioned players, how many would be less useful to a team than Mason and Bogans are now and have proven to be for the last half of the season?

The fact that this is a legitimate question just goes to show how the thought of Temple isn't so far fetched. I mean, you first think, "The kid's a rookie straight out of the D-League. The playoffs just aren't a time for him." (Sorry, if it sounds familiar) But when you look at who's seeing minutes in front of him and the recent track record of the two, it's hard to rationalize not playing him.

Is Temple a better offensive player than Bogans? Looks to be.

Is Temple a better defensive player than Bogans? Probably not, but it's closer than you'd think. (For all the jokes of Bogans and all the shit he takes, I actually like the guy. When he's right and the matchup's right, he can have a real positive impact on the defensive end. And if he didn't play so uneven on the defensive end and if he could shoot the 3 at a 40% clip, he'd be a really nice asset. But if my uncle wasn't to be confused for my aunt, you wouldn't think he was gay. He hasn't looked to be right since the ankle injury; his physicality might be the best option available for a guy like Butler -- given Malik won't be playing -- but it's not a good matchup because Caron has no problem abusing shorter players and shooting contested shots; and the guy has proven time-and-time-again that his offense just isn't credible enough to be an asset if his defense isn't stellar -- which it's not.)

Is Temple a better offensive player than Mason? This year's Mason? Yes, at least he has been in his time here. He's shooting 44% (28-64) from the floor to Mason's 39% (193-496). He's shooting 43.5 from the 3 (10-24), while Mason's shooting 33% (88-264). The sample size is small but the recent play shows that Temple has been more of an asset to the team. (If Mason isn't knocking down the 3, what exactly does he bring to the table that is appreciably better than what Temple's shown?)

Is Temple a better defender than Mason? Sorry, I felt it necessary to at least ask. Temple hasn't played the type of defense that made him a name at LSU or even what I saw from him during preseason with the Rockets, that could explain the significant offensive strides (his focus may have shifted to improving that facet), but he's still a more active, uesful and versatile defender than Mason.

So, should Temple see the court at this time of year and against this caliber of opponent? Absolutely not; but that hasn't prevented Mason and Bogans from playing.

It's actually a pretty sad commentary that a team who started with championship aspirations, and probably still clings to them, is having to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find help. But it is what it is ... and Temple's the best they've got. It's time to play all (*cough* Blair *cough*) of the best they've got . . .

itzsoweezee
04-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Lol. Has anything Popovich done this season suggest that he doles out playing based on productivity? Anyone with half a brain can see that Temple is a better basketball player than either Mason or Bogans. On top of that, the stats also show that Mason and Bogans have been terrible this year.

You think any of that matters to Popovich? The guy is in love with himself. His ego is so big, in his mind, the stats and past performance must be wrong. Mason and Bogans are better because he has deemed them worthy.

BillMc
04-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Temple has been impressive, but is he really experienced enough to deal with Kidd? Especially after Dallas has some game film on him to note his tendancies, moves, limitations, etc. In the regular season, when he was an unknown, no one had time to prepare for him. In the playoffs, they will. I'm not saying Temple isn't an option, I'm just saying its not the obvious "slam dunk" many on this board see it as.

Kamala
04-21-2010, 02:39 AM
It's time for a Call Speedy Claxton for game 2 thread.

Shank
04-21-2010, 08:49 AM

These are players picking up a check from the Mavs whom didn't see one-minute, not one-minute of court time. The Mavs used an 8-man rotation while the Spurs used 10.

Now ask yourself: Of the 5 mentioned players, how many would be less useful to a team than Mason and Bogans are now and have proven to be for the last half of the season?

Not to pick on semantics, but Thomas has been out dealing with a family issue for more than half the season, Carroll only plays in garbage time and Buckner wasn't on the roster this season. Roddy will play in certain situations (that I don't know if Rick has figured out yet) and Stevenson will more than likely get some burn, mainly as a defender. But I guess to accompany your discussion, that makes the Mavs rotation even smaller than the 8 you mentioned.

silverblackfan
04-21-2010, 09:19 AM

The fact that this is a legitimate question just goes to show how the thought of Temple isn't so far fetched. I mean, you first think, "The kid's a rookie straight out of the D-League. The playoffs just aren't a time for him." (Sorry, if it sounds familiar) But when you look at who's seeing minutes in front of him and the recent track record of the two, it's hard to rationalize not playing him.

Is Temple a better offensive player than Bogans? Looks to be.

Is Temple a better defensive player than Bogans? Probably not, but it's closer than you'd think. (For all the jokes of Bogans and all the shit he takes, I actually like the guy. When he's right and the matchup's right, he can have a real positive impact on the defensive end. And if he didn't play so uneven on the defensive end and if he could shoot the 3 at a 40% clip, he'd be a really nice asset. But if my uncle wasn't to be confused for my aunt, you wouldn't think he was gay. He hasn't looked to be right since the ankle injury; his physicality might be the best option available for a guy like Butler -- given Malik won't be playing -- but it's not a good matchup because Caron has no problem abusing shorter players and shooting contested shots; and the guy has proven time-and-time-again that his offense just isn't credible enough to be an asset if his defense isn't stellar -- which it's not.)

Is Temple a better offensive player than Mason? This year's Mason? Yes, at least he has been in his time here. He's shooting 44% (28-64) from the floor to Mason's 39% (193-496). He's shooting 43.5 from the 3 (10-24), while Mason's shooting 33% (88-264). The sample size is small but the recent play shows that Temple has been more of an asset to the team. (If Mason isn't knocking down the 3, what exactly does he bring to the table that is appreciably better than what Temple's shown?)

Is Temple a better defender than Mason? Sorry, I felt it necessary to at least ask. Temple hasn't played the type of defense that made him a name at LSU or even what I saw from him during preseason with the Rockets, that could explain the significant offensive strides (his focus may have shifted to improving that facet), but he's still a more active, uesful and versatile defender than Mason.

So, should Temple see the court at this time of year and against this caliber of opponent? Absolutely not; but that hasn't prevented Mason and Bogans from playing.

It's actually a pretty sad commentary that a team who started with championship aspirations, and probably still clings to them, is having to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find help. But it is what it is ... and Temple's the best they've got. It's time to play all (*cough* Blair *cough*) of the best they've got . . .

:toast
I agree with your points on Bogans most of all. He is useful as a defensive presence and doesn't get the credit sometimes. As long as he stays focused and avoids the dumb fouls.
Replacing Mason in the lineup withe Temple seems to make sense and is worth the gamble. If the kid continues to show the poise he did in his last 5 games, then you have a better ball handler and passer. His defense is definitely an upgrade.
I like Mason, right up until the last 3 months. His confidence, stroke or luck is just not there and without that deadly shooting, he loses value quickly.

romad_20
04-21-2010, 10:00 AM
This morning in an interview (1300 The Zone) Bill Schoening said that Temple was suffering from flu-like symptoms Sunday when asked why he didn't see the floor. I didn't hear anything about that from anyone else. Does anyone know if that's true?

Blackjack
04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Not to pick on semantics, but Thomas has been out dealing with a family issue for more than half the season, Carroll only plays in garbage time and Buckner wasn't on the roster this season. Roddy will play in certain situations (that I don't know if Rick has figured out yet) and Stevenson will more than likely get some burn, mainly as a defender. But I guess to accompany your discussion, that makes the Mavs rotation even smaller than the 8 you mentioned.

I'm aware of that. The point was the quality of player the Spurs are putting on the court compared to what the Mavs didn't choose to play or have available. As a Maverick fan, where exactly would you see Mason and Bogans in their rotation? Would they even dress in front of Beaubois, Stevenson, Thomas and Carroll? That's the point. (And the Mavs ran an 8-man rotation in Game 1, which is what I was alluding to.)

This morning in an interview (1300 The Zone) Bill Schoening said that Temple was suffering from flu-like symptoms Sunday when asked why he didn't see the floor. I didn't hear anything about that from anyone else. Does anyone know if that's true?

That'd actually be great news if it's true; there'd be hope for him to play when right (and not the usual DNP-youngness).

MannyIsGod
04-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Jesus Christ I hate Keith Bogans.

Blackjack
04-21-2010, 01:02 PM
:lol

NFGIII
04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
If Temple doesn't start, HIll can't go and Pop inserts TP then wouldn't it be to the Spurs best interest to go back to a similar lineup just prior to TP's injury? That means TD, Dice, Bogans, TP and ???? Mason at the 2? :nutkick: This is a clusterf**k to me. I really don't want RJ and TP paired together since I haven't seen any real chemistry between them. Hill's injury really has thrown the rotations out the window. And as most believe Pop will leave Hairston on the bench for next year. TJastel is right about not having too many options at this point. :bang

senorglory
04-21-2010, 01:23 PM

He's been getting high marks for poise so far.

senorglory
04-21-2010, 01:26 PM
The fact that he was defiant with regards to being injured after the game and openly admits to not being healthy now, leads me to believe one of two things:

1.) His pride wouldn't allow an an excuse and/or he didn't want to cop to any kind of weakness that could be exploited.

2.) He flaked, freaked the hell out, and he and the Spurs are doing a bit of damage control when it comes to the media. (i.e: Yeah, he's hurt. Game-time decision.)

Naw, I think he either: 1) wanted the playing time so bad, he downplayed his injury to avoid being benched; 2) his confidence lead him to overestimate his ability to overcome/compensate for his injury.

MaNu4Tres
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM

I hope that is true.

ace3g
04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Hill to play in tonight's Game 2

"I think we're probably going to go with him," Popovich said, "unless he falls over in his room or trips over an end table, or something."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Hill_to_play_in_tonights_Game_2.html

MoSpur
04-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Good freaking news.

TJastal
04-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Hill might still need 3-4 days of rest for those tendons to be 100% and not prone to buckling under pressure...no way I'd play him tonight but i guess we will see if Pop's latest gamble pays off.

yavozerb
04-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Hill might still need 3-4 days of rest for those tendons to be 100% and not prone to buckling under pressure...no way I'd play him tonight but i guess we will see if Pop's latest gamble pays off.

He needs alot more than 3-4 days to get back to 100%...Tendons take a long time to heel and probably require the summer to completely heel. The spurs need him and even at 75% is a better option than bogans or temple..

scottspurs
04-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Unless Hill re-injured the ankle in game 1, which there is no evidence of, than hill has had a week since stepping on the camera man. If his ankle is fine he should play. I think he just needs to get some confidence.

mingus
04-21-2010, 03:23 PM
if Hill is playing (and able to play well) this is great for the Spurs. the Spurs offense doesnt work with Parker n' RJ both in there. gotta have 2 3-point threats on the perimiter to keep the offense spread out. if you look back at last game, sure, there were careless mistakes that resulted in turnovers, but a big part of that was the offensive clutter. that's why unless the Spurs plan on never having Parker and RJ out there at the same time for years to come, one of them is gone next season, preferably RJ, to a guy that can spot up and shoot.

i wouldn't mind seeing Hill/Manu/Garret out there at some point. it's small but all those guys can hit the 3. or Parker/Manu/Garret.

any lineup w/o Parker and RJ in there together, basically.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Mason and Bogans are pathetic. Anything is better than those two. Go Temple!!

As for Hill, that's why God invented cortizone shots. Hill can heal over the summer.

MaNu4Tres
04-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Mason and Bogans are pathetic. Anything is better than those two. Go Temple!!

Wise words from a wise man..

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Hill to play in tonight's Game 2

"I think we're probably going to go with him," Popovich said, "unless he falls over in his room or trips over an end table, or something."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Hill_to_play_in_tonights_Game_2.html

:lol

DPG21920
04-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Spurs desperately need Hill. Mason and Bogans should never see another minutes. I don't care who else sees the time, those two should never play again.

ohmwrecker
04-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Is Garrett Temple even active?

ace3g
04-21-2010, 05:21 PM
yes, he was active Sunday to.

ohmwrecker
04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
That's right . . . Malik is out.

TD 21
04-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Unless Hill re-injured the ankle in game 1, which there is no evidence of, than hill has had a week since stepping on the camera man. If his ankle is fine he should play. I think he just needs to get some confidence.

This seemed to go unnoticed by many on the board, but Hill went down and grabbed his ankle early in the third before Pop pulled him for good. He clearly tweaked it again. You talk about re-injuring it, but it doesn't sound like it ever fully healed in the first place.

senorglory
04-21-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't see a problem with running with the hot hand... Temple had a good series of games. Give the boy a try.

DesignatedT
04-21-2010, 06:57 PM
temple>mason tonight. do it pop

BackHome
04-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I have to agree with most in that Mason is not giving us anything at all no offense and no deffense so he shouldn't see the court.

Hill looked scarred when he was playing maybe it was because he didn't trust his ankle but he played very bad. At this point I would say if your no 100% then Temple should get his minutes.

As far as Temple what has impressed me the most is that he is new and he just fills and plays like a Spurs veteran. Not like Ian who runs around like a chicken without a head but like a true vet and I love the fact that he is hitting the open threes. One thing he needs to stop doing is crowding his defender as his foot speed does not allow him to recover fast enough.

As far as Bogans he needs playing time as Temple is way to skinny to defend Blount though you could make a arguement to give Hairston some time.

Blackjack
04-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Naw, I think he either: 1) wanted the playing time so bad, he downplayed his injury to avoid being benched; 2) his confidence lead him to overestimate his ability to overcome/compensate for his injury.

Don't see it. Not the way you seem to portray it . . .

Pride's a pretty big umbrella that covers a multitude of possibilities: believing even at less than 100% you can help the team; not allowing yourself to acknowledge weakness and to succumb to injury; perception -- wanting to be a warrior or not wanting to come of as soft or a china doll; knowing your teammates need you and not wanting to be the one to let them down -- the pride in one's duty and responsibility, etc.)

But the point of the post was in the way it played out after the game had ended. George wouldn't acknowledge the injury to start and Pop's comments left room for interpretation (for some). But when George acknowledged the injury a day or two later and Pop stated he'd be a game-time decision, you could look at it one of two ways: George was legitimately hurt and the poor performance could be directly attributed to it; or George was good enough to go physically and he had some kind a mental meltdown.

I believe it was closer to the former and not the latter. But because there was some room for interpretation in Pop's comments and the fact that George wouldn't cop to the injury, it lead to some questioning the whole situation.

Hill's going to start, so let's hope for the best. This team obviously needs him to play, and play well, if they're planning on advancing. (Locking Bogans and Mason in a broom closet would probably also help the cause.)

scottspurs
04-21-2010, 07:36 PM
temple>mason tonight. do it pop

:tu

MaNu4Tres
04-21-2010, 08:02 PM
But when George acknowledged the injury a day or two later and Pop stated he'd be a game-time decision, you could look at it one of two ways: George was legitimately hurt and the poor performance could be directly attributed to it; or George was good enough to go physically and he had some kind a mental meltdown.

George wasn't legitimately hurt, if he was he wouldn't have suited up and risked farther injury. It was more about Pop's assessment on his play during the 18 minutes.

After the game George was pissed he was taken out of the game early in the 3rd and never put back in. And when I say pissed that's an understatement.

Hill wasn't scared of the stage or had a mental breakdown. The guy is a competitor, he wants to be in the game helping his team. That's why he was so pissed after the game. Mike Taylor for some reason has been blasting the " Georgie was scared, Georgie had a mental breakdown" reasoning through the airwaves throughout San Antonio like the clueless idiot he is when it comes to the Spurs. I don't buy that garbage. FWIW A family friend close to the situation acknowledged George not talking to anyone after the game and when the dust settled it was because he wanted to be on the floor competing and didn't agree with Pop's assessment of his play.

His ankle was the reason why he might not have been as aggressive and Pop needed his PG to be aggressive in penetration. That's why Pop went with Tony from the 3rd quarter on. He thought George was favoring it. Which he was, but at the same time Hill favoring his ankle still gives us a better chance than to choose to play Mason and Bogans over him. ( At least in our eyes and possible George's explaining how pissed he was after the game.)

senorglory
04-21-2010, 08:22 PM
But because there was some room for interpretation in Pop's comments and the fact that George wouldn't cop to the injury, it lead to some questioning the whole situation.

Yep, agreed, curious stuff with the initial denial then subsequent acknowledgment, and the McDyess comments do make it sound like the youngster freaked on the big stage. I hope he pulls it all together tonight, not only because he's the obvious key to the Spurs improving over Game 1, but also because I like him, he's good Spurs people, and watching him tear it up has been the highlight of a topsy-turvy Richard Jefferson/ Tony Parker broken hand year.

Blackjack
04-21-2010, 08:25 PM
George wasn't legitimately hurt, if he was he wouldn't have suited up and risked farther injury. It was more about Pop's assessment on his play during the 18 minutes.

I believe he was legitimately hurt, I just don't think it was something he couldn't overcome. I'm sure there was a bit of a mental aspect to it as well, he did just re-injure it less than a week ago, so it'd be hard to blame him from being a little tentative -- something that could have lead to the early hook.

After the game George was pissed he was taken out of the game early in the 3rd and never put back in. And when I say pissed that's an understatement.

That's how the comments read to me, but I didn't see the video.

Hill wasn't scared of the stage or had a mental breakdown. The guy is a competitor, he wants to be in the game helping his team. That's why he was so pissed after the game. Mike Taylor for some reason has been blasting the " Georgie was scared, Georgie had a mental breakdown" reasoning through the airwaves throughout San Antonio like the clueless idiot he is when it comes to the Spurs. I don't buy that garbage. FWIW A family friend close to the situation acknowledged George not talking to anyone after the game and when the dust settled it was because he wanted to be on the floor competing and didn't agree with Pop's assessment of his play.

I agree. There aren't many people on here that have displayed as much faith and belief in his future prospects as this guy. George is a tough sonbitch and I believe he has the mental makeup to be a special player at some point; a championship-caliber piece. Taylor was actually one of the people I was alluding to when saying it left interpretation for some, so we're on the same page. (I couldn't believe the garbage that fool was spewing on "React".)

His ankle was the reason why he might not have been as aggressive and Pop needed his PG to be aggressive in penetration. That's why Pop went with Tony from the 3rd quarter on. He thought George was favoring it. Which he was, but at the same time Hill favoring his ankle still gives us a better chance than to choose to play Mason and Bogans over him. ( At least in our eyes and possible George's explaining how pissed he was after the game.)

We're on the same page. It's playoff time. As long as George isn't risking injury that could prove detrimental down the road, as in for seasons to come, he's got to suck it up and give it all he's got -- something I don't have any question George will do.

DesignatedT
04-21-2010, 08:26 PM

spurs

RT @JMac_SAEN: Hill tells Monroe he feels "10 times better" than Game 2. "I can do things today I haven't been able to do in two weeks."

george says he feel 10x better than last game.. maybe at the time he didn't think he was favoring it but im sure he understands that he was now.