PDA

View Full Version : Student suspended for phone call...

Shelly
05-06-2005, 01:10 PM
from his mom who's in Iraq

link (http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/05/06/call.suspension.ap/index.html)

Student suspended over call from mom in Iraq

COLUMBUS, Georgia (AP) -- A high school student was suspended for 10 days for refusing to end a cell phone call with his mother, a soldier serving in Iraq, school officials said.

The 10-day suspension was issued because Kevin Francois was "defiant and disorderly" and was imposed in lieu of an arrest, Spencer High School assistant principal Alfred Parham said.

The confrontation Wednesday began after the 17-year-old junior got a call at lunchtime from his mother, Sgt. 1st Class Monique Bates, who left in January for a one-year tour with the 203rd Forward Support Battalion.

Cell phones are allowed on campus but may not be used during school hours. When a teacher told him to hang up, he refused. He said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom."

Parham said the teen's suspension was based on his reaction to the teacher's request. He said the teen used profanity when taken to the office.

"Kevin got defiant and disorderly," Parham said. "When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days."

Duff McCartney
05-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Damn these people are idiots.

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Umm.. what part of "no cell phone use during school hours" is not being understood here?

If talking with his mother is important to him, then let him take his suspension like a man.

SpursWoman
05-06-2005, 01:39 PM
I think 10 days of suspension is ridiculous.

He could have reacted better, obviously, but I wonder how the teacher *told* him to get off the phone and how persistent she was about it?

Mom in Iraq >>>> Teacher. I probably would have reacted the same way. :cooldevil

And yes, taken my suspension like a *man*.

Useruser666
05-06-2005, 01:45 PM
That is pretty dumb. He should have just walked out. Or the teacher just excused him. No big deal really. The kid might have kept his cool better, but the adults definately should have.

mookie2001
05-06-2005, 01:49 PM
thats a great connection my dads in iraq and i cant even hear him on a landline

Drachen
05-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Umm.. what part of "no cell phone use during school hours" is not being understood here?

If talking with his mother is important to him, then let him take his suspension like a man.

extenuating circumstances, even I wouldnt suspend him

samikeyp
05-06-2005, 05:04 PM

If? The kid's mom is in a war zone.

timvp
05-06-2005, 05:18 PM
10 day vacation? Good deal.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-06-2005, 05:58 PM
10 day vacation? Good deal.

:lmao

I wish cell phones would have been allowed when I was in school.

I wish they HAD cell phones when I was in school.

Damn I'm old.

baseline bum
05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
But at least you look younger than Shelly.

Shelly
05-06-2005, 06:22 PM
That's because he IS younger than me :depressed

Younger men rule!

SpursWoman
05-06-2005, 07:49 PM
But at least you look younger than Shelly.

:lmao :lmao

Younger men rule!

:smokin

ClintSquint
05-06-2005, 08:10 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/not_another_teen_movie/paul_gleason/teen2.jpg
"You mess with the bull, you get the horns!"

Clandestino
05-06-2005, 08:12 PM
this school is going to get lit up in the media soon if it hasn't already...

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2005, 10:54 PM
What a farce. I hope when his mom comes back she goes up there and puts a boot in the principal's ass.

T Park
05-07-2005, 11:25 PM
some more great fantastic public schooling.

IcemanCometh
05-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Funny how you people are usually on the side of "law and order" now you're so conflicted.
New feelings brewing in duffman!patriotic...jingoism....trumps......oppres sion...what...would....jesus...do. bunch of hypocrites.

T Park
05-08-2005, 12:30 AM
patriotic...jingoism....trumps......oppres sion...what...would....jesus...do. bunch of hypocrites

that is the biggest jumble of nonsense I've ever seen.

CommanderMcBragg
05-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Kids these days have no respect for authority.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2005, 01:33 PM
"law and order"

You might have a point about a kid talking to his mom in Iraq inciting Iraq, if he was standing in the middle of the Democratic National Convention.

Gatita
05-09-2005, 03:37 PM
The kid was wrong, but then again fuck it I would have done the same. My brother was over there and when he would call all things were dropped and I said "fuck off" to those who interupted my conversation with him. I think the kid feels that the 10 day suspension is well worth it. He got to talk to his mother, who knows if that would have been the last time.