PDA

View Full Version : Stern's Nightmare?...

Duff McCartney
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
I was watching ESPN the other day and I heard them talking about the Pacers/Celtics series. Anyway, as they were discussing it someone brought up the topic of the Pacers advancing and facing none other than the Detroit Pistons. One of the guys said that is probably David Sterns nightmare, and he definitely doesn't want the Pacers to win that series. Seeing the Pistons/Pacers in a series is probably the last thing the league wants.

What say you? Do you think that having a Pistons/Pacers series would be a bad thing after the Meltdown in Motown?

jalbre6
05-06-2005, 01:30 PM
I was watching ESPN the other day and I heard them talking about the Pacers/Celtics series. Anyway, as they were discussing it someone brought up the topic of the Pacers advancing and facing none other than the Detroit Pistons. One of the guys said that is probably David Sterns nightmare, and he definitely doesn't want the Pacers to win that series. Seeing the Pistons/Pacers in a series is probably the last thing the league wants.

What say you? Do you think that having a Pistons/Pacers series would be a bad thing after the Meltdown in Motown?

I think it would be great for the league, with no New York and no California teams left in the playoffs. On that fact alone I'd figure there's going to be a ratings slump this year.

Indiana/Detroit certainly has my interest piqued. Boston/Detroit? Not really.

SpursWoman
05-06-2005, 01:34 PM
I don't know....if that's the way the ECF ended up, I think the ratings could possibly be a lot higher.

All the rubber-neckers...you know.......those waiting for the possiblity of The Brawl - Part II.

:nerd http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/ywhistle.gif

I doubt it would be as emotionally charged as all that, though.....

Dre_7
05-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Stern's nightmare - DET v. SA in the finals!

MadDog73
05-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Stern's nightmare - DET v. SA in the finals!

:lol Yep. While publicly, Stern may say he doesn't want "trouble" if the Pistons play the Pacers, you know deep down he can see the dollar signs (and I'm not just talking about player fines either). :angel

But if last year's Lakers / Pistons final had one of the highest ratings, then the possibility of a Spurs / Pistons Final will probably have one of the lowest. :depressed

Useruser666
05-06-2005, 01:56 PM
I thought a Pacers - Spurs finals would be the worst. Aren't they the smallest TV markets?

jalbre6
05-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I thought a Pacers - Spurs finals would be the worst. Aren't they the smallest TV markets?

Think so. I remember talking with someone here and I argued that Utah was, but the entire state was the Salt Lake TV/media market.

I also thought Sacramento was pretty small as well, but it's boomed over the last ten years.

Dre_7
05-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Yeah, but SA and DET will be a hardcore definsive series. Not good for ratings. But I would LOVE it!!!

tlongII
05-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Indiana won't make it to the 2nd round. I'm surprised that series is going 7 games with their injuries and suspensions. Boston has a much better chance at being competitive against Detroit.

I would love to see a Pistons vs Spurs Finals as well. It would be interesting to see who would impose their will on the other.

The conference finals this year will be terrific too. You can't ask for better matchups than Spurs vs Suns and Heat vs Pistons.

SpursFanInAustin
05-06-2005, 02:48 PM
But tlong, I thought you had the Sonics over the Spurs in 6?

If the Pacers ended up in the 2nd round facing Detroit, I wonder if Stern would attend all of the games to make sure no brawl will ensue. But anyone remember Knicks-Bulls from 94 when Derek Harper and Jojo English got into a scuffle and the benches cleared and had a melee about 3 rows below David Stern?

sa_butta
05-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Stern is a Jackass anything but Miami-Phoenix would be nightmare to him.

beirmeistr
05-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Indiana/Detroit series would be a basketball version of a reality show and would wipe out Fear Factor and Survivor in the ratings.

tlongII
05-06-2005, 03:12 PM
But tlong, I thought you had the Sonics over the Spurs in 6?

I only said that to piss off the homers in here. The Spurs should win the series although I hope the Sonics keep it close.

sa_butta
05-06-2005, 03:14 PM
I only said that to piss off the homers in here. The Spurs should win the series although I hope the Sonics keep it close.
So your saying Spurs in 6?

tlongII
05-06-2005, 03:31 PM
So your saying Spurs in 6?

5 or 6. I'd like to see it go 7 games though.

sa_butta
05-06-2005, 03:41 PM
since Duncan Spurs have never gone 7.

Horry For 3!
05-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I want to see Pistons vs Pacers for sure. I picked Pacers to win in game 6 but they didn't play too well last night. So they better not mess up and lose game 7. Pistons vs Celtics will be a lame series.

SpursWoman
05-06-2005, 04:02 PM
since Duncan Spurs have never gone 7.

That's not necessarily a good thing. :(

pooh
05-06-2005, 04:15 PM
The last thing Stern wants to see is another Pacers/Pistons series. Just think if he had done the right thing and re-instated Artest, then you'd have a series. Instead you'll just have a watered down verison of that great six game series last season.

When Indy returned to the Palace earlier this year, there was a bomb threat made, who knows what the looney Pistons fans will do the second time around. That's one of the reasons why Stern doesn't want the Pacers to advance to the second round.

samikeyp
05-06-2005, 05:02 PM
yeah the right thing. impose a punishment and back off of it. If Artest didn't have a history of troubled behavior it probably would not have been as long. Or do you deny Artest has has a history of troubled behavior?

50 cent
05-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Stern's #1 - 10 concerns = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He wants to see Pistons-Pacers no matter how many bomb threats, brawls, or punches are thrown.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Y'all are nuts.

Stern's a ratings whore. Pistons - Pacers would probably outdraw any other season this post-season, and be one of the highest rated in the last decade, just on the possibility that *The Fight* part 2 breaks out.

Tek_XX
05-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Yeah why would Sterns not want to see the pacers vs. pistons? That series is going to create a lot more interest than what might otherwise be there. I bet Sterns personally called that technical on pierce yesterday and i hope the celtics take it tomorrow

Dre_7
05-06-2005, 09:00 PM
The right thing???

How about Atest does the right thing and NOT ran into the stands!!!

TurnNiggazDreams2Flames
05-06-2005, 09:24 PM
the series would go 6 games i think...and be a great one to watch

Leetonidas
05-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Pistons vs. Pacers wouldn't be a nightmare for Stern, it'd be an orgasmic dream. All he thinks about is money, and think about all the publicity, all the people watching, all the controversey.

Dre_7
05-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Pistons vs. Pacers wouldn't be a nightmare for Stern, it'd be an orgasmic dream. All he thinks about is money, and think about all the publicity, all the people watching, all the controversey.

BINGO!