PDA

View Full Version : Clear Channel Collapse?

Nbadan
04-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Looks like the evil-empire is on the brink of collapsing in on its own debt all the while over-paying gass-bags who lecture us 24-7 about a govt that is on the brink of collapse on its own debt...now that's irony for all you wingnuts!

The New York Post reports that if Clear Channel, the nation’s largest radio owner, is unable to restructure their debt in the next few years it will likely collapse.

A source tells the newspaper that CC, which also operates the highly-successful WLTW/Lite-FM and WKTU, has not done well in negotiating with lenders to refinance their exorbitant debt.

Private-equity owners Bain Capital and THL Partners bought CC in a $24 billion leveraged buyout in 2008. If the company can’t manage to change its capital structure, sources say, it will ultimately default on the $18.4 billion debt.

A lender says Clear Channel generates $1.4 billion in cash flow while paying $1 billion in interest and spending $200 million on capital expenditures. Therefore, the company has only $200 million in yearly cash flow available.

Clear Channel has a $700 million bill coming due in May 2011 and $4.5 billion due in July 2014. Sources tell the Post, that CC should have $2 billion in disposable cash that should help them make it through 2011, however getting to, and beyond, 2014 is a tougher issue.

Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/x-5468-NY-Media-Examiner~y2010m4d14-Report-Clear-Channel-on-verge-of-collapse)

Looks like wing-nut radio isn't self-sufficient after all! I think the Spurs should make the move to KTSA now, DUEL!

DMX7
04-21-2010, 01:18 AM
What are they paying Rush these days? Too much, I know that.

TeyshaBlue
04-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Looks like the evil-empire is on the brink of collapsing in on its own debt all the while over-paying gass-bags who lecture us 24-7 about a govt that is on the brink of collapse on its own debt...now that's irony for all you wingnuts!

Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/x-5468-NY-Media-Examiner~y2010m4d14-Report-Clear-Channel-on-verge-of-collapse)

Looks like wing-nut radio isn't self-sufficient after all! I think the Spurs should make the move to KTSA now, DUEL!

Spin fail. If you had even the slightest idea what you were talking about, you'd leave the partisan hack spin out of this. But since you don't, you just keep pwning yourself.

You do realize that talk radio is a very small segment of CC's station lineup, right? Oh, and you do know that out of it's 833 stations, only 145 are identified as News, Talk, or other. :rolleyes 16.4%:lmao

Yonivore
04-21-2010, 02:19 PM
What are they paying Rush these days? Too much, I know that.
Apparently, they're paying what he's worth.

admiralsnackbar
04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm happy enough to see them go since they were among the primary beneficiaries of FCC deregulation and ate up indie stations across the country, trimmed playlists on most of these aquisitions down to about 20-30 songs long, and standardized style and content such that you wouldn't really know the difference between a station in Maine and one in TX.

TeyshaBlue
04-21-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm happy enough to see them go since they were among the primary beneficiaries of FCC deregulation and ate up indie stations across the country, trimmed playlists on most of these aquisitions down to about 20-30 songs long, and standardized style and content such that you wouldn't really know the difference between a station in Maine and one in TX.

^^^^^This^^^^^^:toast

admiralsnackbar
04-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Just as an addendum: people routinely complain how there is no good music anymore. Not so. The problem is that nobody is exposed to any new music besides the pablum that CC tries to shove down our throats, which generally consists of material by has-been superstars and untalented beautiful people whose music and merchandising are made to capitalize on their image instead of vice versa.

TeyshaBlue
04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Just as an addendum: people routinely complain how there is no good music anymore. Not so. The problem is that nobody is exposed to any new music besides the pablum that CC tries to shove down our throats, which generally consists of material by has-been superstars and untalented beautiful people whose music and merchandising are made to capitalize on their image instead of vice versa.

The best FM stations out there are the college stations. In the DFW area, I listen to KTCU and KNTU alot. Their playlist is strong.

admiralsnackbar
04-21-2010, 04:11 PM
The best FM stations out there are the college stations. In the DFW area, I listen to KTCU and KNTU alot. Their playlist is strong.

Haven't heard them, but agree college radio is the only place you'll ever hear something interesting anymore without a computer -- down here it's KSYM or KTSW. That said, sharity blogs have clogged my ipod to the extent that I have 5 years-worth of listening I need to catch up on.

Stringer_Bell
04-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Clear Channel is too big to fail.

DarrinS
04-22-2010, 08:20 AM
If you really want to kill talk radio, have Al Franken and Rachel Maddow host some shows.

Drachen
04-22-2010, 10:05 AM

This is why I have always loved C101 in Corpus. It always surprises me that Corpus has the best rock station of any of the cities that I regularly go to. They have a playlist a mile long. I have heard songs on that station from some of my absolute favorite bands that I had never heard before.