PDA

View Full Version : Should we double Dirk..

Tp9gospursgo
04-21-2010, 01:39 AM
or let him get his play hard on everybody else?

honestfool84
04-21-2010, 01:43 AM
let him score 50 and keep the rest of the team to 15 and we'll win the game.

BillMc
04-21-2010, 01:45 AM
I know I will get roasted on this board, but I think the strategy we used last game didn't work too bad. As Tim said Dirk will not hit 12 of 14 every night and we were right in the game even with that hot streak. Assuming Dirk comes down a bit, we may have the advantage if we stop the turn overs. Everyone is expecting a new strategy, but the best thing (in terms of Dirk) may be to see if he can do it again. I like keeping the others under control. In fact, even if Dirk gets his, if we can control Kidd, we'll have a win.

Ditty
04-21-2010, 01:45 AM
i dont get why mcdyess is not on the floor with dirk about 30 minutes of the game

Tp9gospursgo
04-21-2010, 01:47 AM
I agree with almost everyone on this...i don't care if he drops fifty on us. If we can control the role players we will win.

Bob Lanier
04-21-2010, 01:47 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/page2/photos/060525/suns_shawn_marion_195.jpg

itzsoweezee
04-21-2010, 02:01 AM
regardless of what dirk does, the spurs cannot let caron butler shit on them like they did last game. that was embarrassing.

blkroadrunners
04-21-2010, 02:04 AM
I know I will get roasted on this board, but I think the strategy we used last game didn't work too bad. As Tim said Dirk will not hit 12 of 14 every night and we were right in the game even with that hot streak. Assuming Dirk comes down a bit, we may have the advantage if we stop the turn overs. Everyone is expecting a new strategy, but the best thing (in terms of Dirk) may be to see if he can do it again. I like keeping the others under control. In fact, even if Dirk gets his, if we can control Kidd, we'll have a win.

You're right. Having a game where you shoot 12-14 from the field, 12-12 from the field, and only 1 TO is as efficient as it gets. McDyess and Bonner played him hard on defense, but it's just Dirk had a really really hot night.

Slippy
04-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Keep Dice on him initially with single coverage and take it from there depending how Dirk is feeling and how the game is called. He made Nowitzki work for every shot, mostly with high arcing fade-aways. Sooner rather than later he going to go cold shooting those type of jumpers. Once he starts putting the ball on floor mixing it up, Spurs team defense will really be tested.

Waps1980
04-21-2010, 06:07 AM
i dont get why mcdyess is not on the floor with dirk about 30 minutes of the game
Agree 100% more minutes for dice

Also agree on dirk playing very hot and I wouldn't think it will happen many time in the playoffs. Holding dirk to 14 shots is a fair effort.
If I was shooting like him I would have put up 30+

polandprzem
04-21-2010, 06:13 AM
play Dirk very close before he gets the ball

1-1 D with throwing some double teams at times

but yup I'd rather not get roles get hot cause all of them can - matrix, barea, butler, terry, kidd

MateoNeygro
04-21-2010, 06:45 AM
I say we play him straight up and just stop the other players from being as effective.

benefactor
04-21-2010, 07:15 AM
or let him get his play hard on everybody else?
This is the correct answer...with the occasional double. Those situational double teams can yield turnovers if they are executed correctly.

cd98
04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
You better do something, cause that motherfuccer is aiming to ruin Duncan's entire legacy with once series.

Not possible to ruin a hall of fame career because of a first round playoff loss at age 34.

cd98
04-21-2010, 07:47 AM
We must do a combination of single play and agressive double teams. Start on single coverage. If he is making a bunch of shots, throw double teams, but mix it up so he can't adjust.

If Spurs double, they must be quick on their rotations.

They must play angry, aggressive defense.

tdunk21
04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
we dont have to double no"ring"witzki....just have to do a better job on defense and bench scoring

ohmwrecker
04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
I agree with OP. As I said in a previous thread, the problem isn't strategy, it's execution. Our defenders need to front Dirk when he catches the ball, play him close, don't fall for the pump fake, make him drive and, if we do send a double, send it when he puts the ball on the floor. We can't stop him from scoring, but we can make his shots more difficult and if the refs blow the whistle, we are just going to have to live with that. Defend by committee, so no one player collects too many fouls.

lefty
04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
They have a bunch of scorers

So no

LoneStarState'sPride
04-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Double him.........LATE in the game. Don't let him get used to one look on defense--keep him somewhat off balance.

lefty
04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Double him.........LATE in the game. Don't let him get used to one look on defense--keep him somewhat off balance.
Bowen !

Dex
04-21-2010, 09:17 AM
If you double Dirk Nowitzki, then Jason Kidd and the Mavericks move the ball too well to recover on rotations. They have too many weapons, and they are good at finding them open.

I'd rather make Dirk hit contested shots like he did last game then give up open shots and layups to the rest of the Mavericks, especially with Kidd sharpshooting from the arc like he has been.

They just need to try to keep Dirk off balance by changing up schemes on him. I like the idea of changing up single coverage on him with the occasional trap, and then double him late in the game.

NFGIII
04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
This is the correct answer...with the occasional double. Those situational double teams can yield turnovers if they are executed correctly.

Agreed. Game 1 he was absolutely fantastic. Doubt that he can keep that up but if he does then this series may be over. But agian I doubt it. Control Kidd and force him to shot moving Js and not stand still wide open 3s like we let him last game. Kidd controls this team whoile Dirk is the main scorer - have a man on Kidd at all times - don't go under sreens like MAson but fight through them. No open looks like in game 1

If you double Dirk Nowitzki, then Jason Kidd and the Mavericks move the ball too well to recover on rotations. They have too many weapons, and they are good at finding them open.

I'd rather make Dirk hit contested shots like he did last game then give up open shots and layups to the rest of the Mavericks, especially with Kidd sharpshooting from the arc like he has been. .

Exactly - it's Kidd that makes this team go. Dirk will get his points so clamp down on the man who distributes the ball and gets the team moving on O.

They just need to try to keep Dirk off balance by changing up schemes on him. I like the idea of changing up single coverage on him with the occasional trap, and then double him late in the game.

Me, too. Don't become predictable. Keep him guessing as to what is coming next though in the 4th Q he should know the doubles will be coming. It's just when.

:flag:

nkdlunch
04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I say we play him straight up and just stop the other players from being as effective.

agree with this.

nkdlunch
04-21-2010, 10:41 AM
we dont have to double no"ring"witzki....just have to do a better job on defense and bench scoring

this too

Mixability
04-21-2010, 10:41 AM
what i've been saying all along, let him get his 30+ and take every other option away from him.

dbestpro
04-21-2010, 11:39 AM
No, we should foul him hard and make him pay for his flopping and flailing.