View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Luke Babbitt

Bruno
04-21-2010, 03:43 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/files/images/lbabbitt01_0.jpg
Height: 6-8
Weight: 220 lbs
Birthday: 06/20/1989
College: Nevada

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Babbitt-1340/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luke-babbitt)

mountainballer
04-21-2010, 04:31 AM
after he declared and hired an agent DX now has ranked him at #25.
so in their mock he pretty much replaced the returning Kyle Singler.
I think that Spurs fans would hate this pick, but I can't resist the feeling that the spurs have him on their list. maybe not on top, but he is there, book it.
he is to much of an Spurs type player that they wouldn't at least follow his development.

Mr. Body
04-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Was about to post on this guy. Givony tweeting on DX that he's ranked higher on teams' boards than expected.

I can really see him on the Spurs' radar and I wouldn't be disappointed in the pick. He's a terrific shooter from everywhere - and deadeye from the free throw line. He hustles like hell. As a strictly bench player who will bust his ass and hit shots, get rebounds, maybe not be quick enough to be a shut-down defender (likely not), but can provide needed scoring.

yavozerb
04-21-2010, 02:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0_PCqoB0aI

I agree that these youtube highlight reels are just that, highlights, but this kids jumper is pretty sick..I have seen his ht posted anywhere from 6'7 to 6'9, so we should find out when the measurements start up..

kobyz
04-22-2010, 02:38 AM
i don't think he is quick enough to be able to play the 3, otherwise he were a top 10 pick, he remind me a little Danilo Gallinari from the Knicks.

mountainballer
04-22-2010, 06:09 AM
yeah, Gallinari is a nice comparison. Gallinari has the more complete game and those outstanding ball handling skills (that's why he was picked at #6 and Babbit likely #20-30), but Babbitt is pretty close overall. poor man's Gallinari is still an intriguing profile.

yavozerb
04-22-2010, 08:44 AM
yeah, Gallinari is a nice comparison. Gallinari has the more complete game and those outstanding ball handling skills (that's why he was picked at #6 and Babbit likely #20-30), but Babbitt is pretty close overall. poor man's Gallinari is still an intriguing profile.

Ya, I too like that comparison...Well be interesting to see how he does against other prospects at the 3. Guess he's a little to short to replace bonner huh?

AFBlue
04-29-2010, 12:14 PM
I read an interesting ESPN Insider article dedicated to Babbitt. It's a paid service, so I'll post the link but you may not be able to access it. Here's a snipit of it...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=5146748

Every year there are a few players who find their way into the first round that no one expected. Some players prove that everybody else had it wrong, like Aaron Brooks (2007, No. 26, Houston Rockets), while others, like Quincy Douby (2006, No. 19, Sacramento Kings), prove they were a surprise for a reason.

We will have a clearer picture of the first round once the May 8 withdrawal date has passed, but based on conversations with NBA decision makers, one name keeps coming up that could get drafted a lot earlier than currently projected: Luke Babbitt.

The Nevada product is a 6-foot-9, 220 pound sophomore capable of playing both forward positions. He is currently ranked No. 24 on Chad Ford's Top 100, which reflects the general consensus on his stock. But at least one talent evaluator thinks he's much better than that.

An Eastern Conference scout's take on Babbitt: "He won't go in the top 10, but I have him in my top five. I know he has the same issues as a lot of guys, such as who is he going to defend? There is some question about his lateral quickness, too. But he is just so gifted as an offensive player."

Is his offense advanced enough to get him in the lottery?

"Look at Rashard Lewis. Can he defend or rebound? Not really, but he gets you 20 points a night, and Babbitt is that kind of guy, but a better rebounder."

On film Babbitt doesn't resemble Lewis, but his production validates the comparison. Babbitt shows a collection of offensive moves rarely seen from a player his size. As a lefty he can create off the dribble, catch and shoot and uses his wide shoulders to set up in the post. The offense consistently operates around him, but when Babbitt is away from the ball he never stops moving.

An NBA coach will worry about his defense and probably tell him to leave the 30-foot attempts in Nevada, but you can't argue with his shooting numbers: 50.0 FG%, 41.6 3PT% and 91.7 FT%.

A GM from the Western Conference also has Babbitt as a name to watch over the next two months. "A month ago he was in the 25-to-35 range. Right now he's got a lot of buzz. He's probably somewhere in between picks 12 and 20."

This article lends credence to the fact that Babbitt very well may be a target of the Spurs and/or several teams drafting in the late lottery to mid-first round. I found the Rashard Lewis comparison especially interesting.

As for whether I'd like the pick for the Spurs...I'd say it depends on who else is available. To me, Babbitt's ceiling is as a role player because of his apparent defensive limitations. He may be a nice replacement or potential upgrade to Matt Bonner, but if the Spurs have an opportunity to draft a player with greater-than-role-player potential, I'd be disappointed to see them go this route.

Mr. Body
04-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Rashard Lewis isn't very athletic. Interesting comparison. I didn't realize he wasn't a good rebounder, either. Strange, Lewis plays as a starter, although a horribly expensive one. Babbitt busts his ass much more, which is why he won't slip into the 2nd round the way Lewis did.

yavozerb
04-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Could this kid be a possible bonner replacement? His rebounding is better already than bonner's, I think his offense is way ahead of bonner when he entered the league. I know he is a little bit shorter and his defense seems to be on par with him as well. I really like his skills and think he could het get minutes right away.

Mr. Body
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Looking at his stats last year, he didn't shoot a huge volume of 3pters. That can be a bad thing, but for our purposes, it means he's not a volume shooter. He can pick his spots. He got to the line at a good clip, also, where he hit almost everything, and his rebounds, as said, were very strong. Didn't face the greatest of competition, but scouts seem to like him nonetheless.

spursballer21
04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
just watched his highlights pretty good
its hard
if i was the spurs i would choose him or paul george
but ive heard this guy has problems with defense
and who is better at driving the ball?

mountainballer
04-30-2010, 06:29 AM
can't remember where I read it (probably Givony on his Twitter, but I'm not sure), it was a comment that some teams might be much higher on Babbitt than mocks currently rank him. much higher means something like late lottery.

Mr. Body
04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
can't remember where I read it (probably Givony on his Twitter, but I'm not sure), it was a comment that some teams might be much higher on Babbitt than mocks currently rank him. much higher means something like late lottery.

You're a bit late on this. The DX from Givony is where everybody started buzzing on him (who weren't attached to teams). 'Much higher than teams are ranking him' placed him in the mid-20s for now, which is where DX has him.

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 04:22 PM
These stats keep sticking with me on this guy: 50/40/90

Those are his shooting percentages, which are just filthy. Remind me a lot of George Hill, whose percentages were fairly similar.

AFBlue
05-03-2010, 05:22 PM
These stats keep sticking with me on this guy: 50/40/90

Those are his shooting percentages, which are just filthy. Remind me a lot of George Hill, whose percentages were fairly similar.

Except that George Hill is in the "elite" category athletically and was a solid on-ball defender before coming to the Spurs.

I understand the frame of reference for your post, but Babbitt still seems a bit one-dimensional at this point...and that likely makes him a role player at best.

Who knows though...Spurs clearly have a role on their team for perimeter-oriented forwards that can stretch the D and have targeted players in the draft like that in the past (i.e. Ryan Anderson).

If they like him enough, who am I to say he's not worth the pick?

yavozerb
05-03-2010, 05:45 PM
I really like this kid and think he can fill a bonner type role on next seasons roster for a much cheaper salary. I think he is big enough to play small ball 4 and can play the 3 in a regular set. Just like bonner however his defense may be his worst attribute but unlike bonner this kid goes after rebounds much better and is much more aggressive on offense. I am hoping it comes down this kid, George, or Ebanks for that 1st rd pick.

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Even if Bonner continues to struggle in the postseason I see the Spurs having trouble letting him go without a replacement of some kind. Babbitt can't provide the sometimes decent Bonner post-defense but that won't be as necessary if Splitter is able to come over.

It may be he just doesn't have the size for a part-time, small ball PF, and I'm not saying Babbitt is my pick, just that I would wholly endorse the pick. He's not like a Steve Novak or a Jason Kapono where his athleticism is a severe restriction (or, say, a Jared Dudley); he's actually fairly athletic in NBA terms, busts his ass, and can get off the ground. I'll be interested to see how he comes out.

yavozerb -- I couldn't pick btw him and George knowing as little as I do, but I cannot support a Ebanks pick.

yavozerb
05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Even if Bonner continues to struggle in the postseason I see the Spurs having trouble letting him go without a replacement of some kind. Babbitt can't provide the sometimes decent Bonner post-defense but that won't be as necessary if Splitter is able to come over.

It may be he just doesn't have the size for a part-time, small ball PF, and I'm not saying Babbitt is my pick, just that I would wholly endorse the pick. He's not like a Steve Novak or a Jason Kapono where his athleticism is a severe restriction (or, say, a Jared Dudley); he's actually fairly athletic in NBA terms, busts his ass, and can get off the ground. I'll be interested to see how he comes out.

yavozerb -- I couldn't pick btw him and George knowing as little as I do, but I cannot support a Ebanks pick.

I didnt realize his outside shooting was so bad,so if had a redo on that statement I would have to leave Ebanks off my list since I really believe the spurs will be searching for outside shooting this offseason.

FeZZy
05-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Adam Morrison 2.0

AFBlue
05-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Spurs need shooters in the worst way, and this guy can fill that role. He seems to have more versatility than the Spurs' current unathletic guy with his ability to play SF and score from pretty much anywhere.

Given his likely role-player upside, I'd like to see him in a two-pick first round scenario where the Spurs use the other pick to nab a higher upside guy.

kbrury
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Spurs need shooters in the worst way, and this guy can fill that role. He seems to have more versatility than the Spurs' current unathletic guy with his ability to play SF and score from pretty much anywhere.

Given his likely role-player upside, I'd like to see him in a two-pick first round scenario where the Spurs use the other pick to nab a higher upside guy.

I'm really high on Pondexter but at this point I'd agree that we need a shooter like Babbitt.

scottspurs
05-17-2010, 06:39 PM
If Xavier Henry isn't there, which he won't be, I get the feeling the spurs will draft Babbitt at #20. He is a shooter that the spurs need and he is kind of going under the radar.

yavozerb
05-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Henry-gone before #20
George-gone before #20
I agree with you scott that I think this kid fits the spurs needs currently the best If henry and goerge are not on the board.

scottspurs
05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
I actually think he will make more of an immediate impact in the NBA than George will. With Babbitt you know what your going to get. He is a good shooter and he will hustle and work hard. I think George will eventually be the better player, but I believe he has a lot more developing to do than Babbitt.

Right now Babbitt is a better shooter than George and I believe Babbitt will fit better than George because the spurs are desperate for a shooter now. Tim Duncan and company can't wait on players to develop any more the time is now. Both players have weird releases on their shots, but George's definitely needs more work.

That being said I think Henry is better than both and will be a knock down shooter in the league for a long time. He won't be there at pick 20 though. If he slips out of the top ten spurs should be making calls to trade up. I wouldn't mind trading pick 20 and next year's first to move up 6 or seven spots. Maybe you add Malik Hairston if a certain team likes him. If the spurs get Henry he is the type of player that will make the spurs a top 4 contender again assuming splitter comes over.

I'm not sold on other wings like Gordon Hayward and James Anderson. Anderson is more of a penetrator which is getting redundant on the spurs roster right not. And Hayward is not that good of a shooter if you look at the %'s and he needs more developing.

The wild card for the spurs on draft night in my opinion is whether they want to go for a n offensive wing or a defensive wing. Also do you draft a big man if a good one drops that the spurs like. If they prefer defense then they will be looking at Stanley Robinson, Damion James, Kevin Ebanks, Avery Bradley, and Quincy Pondexter. All of these players have major flaws and at least early in their careers will do nothing offensively. All of their games need developing.

If a big man like Udoh or Whiteside slips do you go there? The spurs could really use a young athletic big man that can defend. I think you almost have to go big if splitter stays in europe.

Assuming a big man doesn't drop i think the spurs best route to take for short term success would be to draft one of the shooters. Why i posted this in the Luke Babbitt thread is beyond me.

SenorSpur
05-17-2010, 09:32 PM
I actually think he will make more of an immediate impact in the NBA than George will. With Babbitt you know what your going to get. He is a good shooter and he will hustle and work hard. I think George will eventually be the better player, but I believe he has a lot more developing to do than Babbitt.

Right now Babbitt is a better shooter than George and I believe Babbitt will fit better than George because the spurs are desperate for a shooter now. Tim Duncan and company can't wait on players to develop any more the time is now. Both players have weird releases on their shots, but George's definitely needs more work.

That being said I think Henry is better than both and will be a knock down shooter in the league for a long time. He won't be there at pick 20 though. If he slips out of the top ten spurs should be making calls to trade up. I wouldn't mind trading pick 20 and next year's first to move up 6 or seven spots. Maybe you add Malik Hairston if a certain team likes him. If the spurs get Henry he is the type of player that will make the spurs a top 4 contender again assuming splitter comes over.

I'm not sold on other wings like Gordon Hayward and James Anderson. Anderson is more of a penetrator which is getting redundant on the spurs roster right not. And Hayward is not that good of a shooter if you look at the %'s and he needs more developing.

The wild card for the spurs on draft night in my opinion is whether they want to go for a n offensive wing or a defensive wing. Also do you draft a big man if a good one drops that the spurs like. If they prefer defense then they will be looking at Stanley Robinson, Damion James, Kevin Ebanks, Avery Bradley, and Quincy Pondexter. All of these players have major flaws and at least early in their careers will do nothing offensively. All of their games need developing.

If a big man like Udoh or Whiteside slips do you go there? The spurs could really use a young athletic big man that can defend. I think you almost have to go big if splitter stays in europe.

Assuming a big man doesn't drop i think the spurs best route to take for short term success would be to draft one of the shooters. Why i posted this in the Luke Babbitt thread is beyond me.

The problem is the draft if June 24th. The Spurs likely will not know whether they'll be able to get Splitter before then, as the FA period doesn't begin until July 1st.

Agree with your last point. Assuming a big, like Udoh, doesn't fall to them, the Spurs desparately need to draft an athletic SF, who can stroke the 3 and defend. Preferably George, Robinson or Pondexter.

benefactor
05-17-2010, 09:34 PM

You should scout players better before you post and pretend you know what you are talking about. I don't even feel like wasting my time pointing out all of the stuff you seem to have just made up.

scottspurs
05-17-2010, 10:05 PM
You should scout players better before you post and pretend you know what you are talking about. I don't even feel like wasting my time pointing out all of the stuff you seem to have just made up.

Because you are so wise. I just watch a lot of college basketball. I never proclaimed myself to be an expert and I didn't make anything up. Just my opinion.

So are you a scout or what? You should be GM of the spurs, huh. You shouldn't have posted at all if I'm wasting your time.

scottspurs
05-17-2010, 10:11 PM
The problem is the draft if June 24th. The Spurs likely will not know whether they'll be able to get Splitter before then, as the FA period doesn't begin until July 1st.

Agree with your last point. Assuming a big, like Udoh, doesn't fall to them, the Spurs desparately need to draft an athletic SF, who can stroke the 3 and defend. Preferably George, Robinson or Pondexter.

I actually think the spurs can come to terms with splitter before the draft. I'm not sure if they can officially sign him, but I'm sure they can come to some sort of agreement before the draft. If I remember correctly in 2008 the splitter saga was over with by mid-June.

benefactor
05-17-2010, 10:14 PM
And Hayward is not that good of a shooter if you look at the %'s and he needs more developing.

If they prefer defense then they will be looking at Stanley Robinson, Damion James, Kevin Ebanks, Avery Bradley, and Quincy Pondexter. All of these players have major flaws and at least early in their careers will do nothing offensively. All of their games need developing.

I just watch a lot of college basketball.
No, you don't.

scottspurs
05-17-2010, 10:21 PM
No, you don't.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/pondexter_quincy00.html Yes, that is his name.

So now you know me. I watch more college basketball than I watch NBA. So am I still wasting your time Genius.

benefactor
05-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Nevermind. Just forget I said anything.

mountainballer
05-20-2010, 08:15 AM
most mocks have updated after the lottery and start to work with team needs. and quite a few see the Spurs currently pick Babbitt. (DX, Hoopshype, nba-draft, ridiculousupside)
not that those mocks ever predicted the right pick in the past. just mention it.

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 10:40 AM
most mocks have updated after the lottery and start to work with team needs. and quite a few see the Spurs currently pick Babbitt. (DX, Hoopshype, nba-draft, ridiculousupside)
not that those mocks ever predicted the right pick in the past. just mention it.

This kid has been my #1 choice since the summer began..Hopefully he will be around at #20. Jay bilas has this kid in his top 10, hopefully no one else feels that way

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Twitter: (http://twitter.com/varner48MoH/status/14374948751)

Luke Babbitt projects himself as a 3 and stretch four, immediately mentions the Spurs as a good fit for his game.

Bruno
05-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Spurs don't need a "stretch four".

http://assets.gearlive.com/endscore/blogimages/bonner2.jpg

benefactor
05-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I'd rather have George and leave Babbitt for the Wolves at 23.

DesignatedT
05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
This guy has been growing on me. He is very sound offensively. He has a sweet jumper, can handle the ball great for a big guy and has a nice variety of post moves as well. only question mark is his defense. If he doesn't play it then he wont get a shot here to begin with, but definitely an intriguing prospect IMO. could definitely replace Bonner and be a good fit.

DesignatedT
05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
R0_PCqoB0aI

Ditty
05-20-2010, 02:18 PM
maybe spurs fans can say "lukeeeeeeeeeeeeee" everytime he scores

but rather still have george

DesignatedT
05-20-2010, 02:23 PM
maybe spurs fans can say "lukeeeeeeeeeeeeee" everytime he scores

but rather still have george

and if george is gone..?

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 02:29 PM
It's actually becoming disturbing that these type of players automatically assume and profess they'd be a great fit for the Spurs without being prompted. I mean, I liked hearing Dudley openly campaign for the Spurs to draft him, as I really liked him and he's proven to be a nice player, but this is getting ridiculous.

This is almost reaching the whiteness standard for Indiana: "I'm white ... surely the Pacers will have me!"

SenorSpur
05-20-2010, 02:45 PM
This guy has been growing on me. He is very sound offensively. He has a sweet jumper, cant handle the ball great for a big guy and has a nice variety of post moves as well. only question mark is his defense. If he doesn't play it then he wont get a shot here to begin with, but definitely an intriguing prospect IMO. could definitely replace Bonner and be a good fit.

From reading the scouting reports on him, it doesn't appear that he has the ability or quickness to guard 3's at the NBA level. Seems like he's a liability on the other end.

While the Spurs could certainly use his shooting ability, they don't need another poor defender on the squad.

We'll see how he grades out at the combine.

SenorSpur
05-20-2010, 02:46 PM
It's actually becoming disturbing that these type of players automatically assume and profess they'd be a great fit for the Spurs without being prompted. I mean, I liked hearing Dudley openly campaign for the Spurs to draft him, as I really liked him and he's proven to be a nice player, but this is getting ridiculous.

This is almost reaching the whiteness standard for Indiana: "I'm white ... surely the Pacers will have me!"

...don't forget the Utah Jazz.

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I was going to throw them in there but they've done pretty well with guys like Millsap, Matthews and others recently; though they've yet to earn eradication of the stigma.

Indiana just takes "white" to another level these days. :lol

kbrury
05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
From reading the scouting reports on him, it doesn't appear that he has the ability or quickness to guard 3's at the NBA level. Seems like he's a liability on the other end.

While the Spurs could certainly use his shooting ability, they don't need another poor defender on the squad.

We'll see how he grades out at the combine.

Well seems like most of the wing prospects in our range except Pondexter seem to be a liability on the defensive end. Even Robinson who can be brilliant defensively loses focus too often according to reports.

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Well seems like most of the wing prospects in our range except Pondexter seem to be a liability on the defensive end. Even Robinson who can be brilliant defensively loses focus too often according to reports.

At #20 there are going to be some liabilities with each player still on the board or else they would go early. Lets not forget that all because this is the best draft position in years for the spurs there are still 19 picks ahead of them and only 10 to follow. I prefer player who is stronger offensively(3 pt shooting) than defense at this point cause it seems to be the weakest part of the spurs team, thats just my opinion.

Gino2882
05-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I will admit I have not seen this guy play but from looking at the videos I really like his game. He could definitely fill a role on the Spurs, but I don't see him being able to defend if he is playing as the stretch 4.

He is a very smooth player, excellent jab steps and fakes, and can score in bunches.

dbestpro
05-20-2010, 07:32 PM
As peviously mentioned most of the SF candidates have defensive problems. That can be corrected. While most look to Babbitt for shooting, it is his motor that could help him compensate for his current lack of defense.

Blackjack
05-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Luke Babbitt (http://www.magicbasketball.net/2010/05/20/media-log-2010-nba-draft-combine-media-availability-day-1-part-i/)

What position do you see yourself playing in the NBA? Are you a three or a stretch four?

Well, I feel like I can do both. I feel whatever a team’s philosophy is … there are all different types of styles, from the Phoenix Suns to the San Antonio Spurs to all kinds of different styles in the NBA and I feel like I fit in well with a lot of different styles, whether it’s at the three or the four. You see players like me being successful.

What do you think people have overlooked about you, when it comes to how you play the game of basketball?

I feel like I can make players around me better. In the NBA, you got to have guys that can stretch the floor and I can do that. Also, just distribute the ball and make plays for other people as well as myself. I think in college I was known to be just a scorer but I’d like to be known more as a creator. Not just for myself, but for other people too.

With your skill-set, what are you trying to work on right now?

Well, I’m just trying to work on all aspects but defensively, everyone has to improve and that’s an area where I want to work on. Being more of a prototypical [small forward], knowing all the nuances because the NBA is completely different from college. More spacing and what not, more wide open game. In college, it’s just clustered with all the double and triple teams so it’s a completely different game so I decided to learn all that stuff

Could you talk about the subtle differences between being a small forward and being a power forward?

It’s different for every team. A stretch four is on the perimeter a lot, like a Rashard Lewis or a Channing Frye. Those guys are facing the basket pretty much all the time but you’re guarding a four in the NBA and I’d say you’re facing the basket more. A three probably handles the ball a bit more and is asked run the lanes wide and make more plays and create.

ace3g
05-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Luke Babbitt’s lack of speed and athleticism was glaring in the full court drills. Shot the ball extremely well as he did all season. Shows the intensity and effort level to make up for his lack of quickness, staying with Devin Ebanks in the line sprints.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-day-1

ace3g
05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
...don't forget the Utah Jazz.

I was going to throw them in there but they've done pretty well with guys like Millsap, Matthews and others recently; though they've yet to earn eradication of the stigma.

Indiana just takes "white" to another level these days. :lol

Gordon Hayward Larry Bird had his eyes on Hayward the minute he walked through the door and never took them off him. Hayward mentioned that he would love to play for the hometown Pacers, but being taken 10th overall seems high.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-day-1

SenorSpur
05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
As peviously mentioned most of the SF candidates have defensive problems. That can be corrected. While most look to Babbitt for shooting, it is his motor that could help him compensate for his current lack of defense.

That begs an interesting question. Which skill is the hardest for a young player to perfect at the next level? Developing into a consistent 3-point shooter or learning how to defend?

yavozerb
05-21-2010, 11:48 AM
That begs an interesting question. Which skill is the hardest for a young player to perfect at the next level? Developing into a consistent 3-point shooter or learning how to defend?

I think the real question should be if the player has the mindset and heart to want to get better at 3pt shooting or defense..I look at a player like jj redick who was one of the best college 3 pts shooters ever and has worked hard on his defensive skills so that he is not a liability to his team on that side of the floor. Then you have to look at a guy like bruce bowen who always was good defensive player work hard on developing a spot on the floor (the corner) where he could be effective at 3 pt shooting. With that said, I would prefer a 3pt shooter who can be helped out with good team defense rather a bad shooter who really hurts his team if he continues to miss wide open looks.

dbestpro
05-21-2010, 11:53 AM

I would say teaching defense is easier. Reason being most college players have no idea about NBA defensive schemes and they will have to learn, anyway. Teaching an athletic kid defense and how to shoot can be a bit much to ask for and adds to ingredients for a project player that takes many years to develop, if ever. In the end, you've got to be able to put the ball in the basket to win.

Maddog
05-21-2010, 12:12 PM

I don't think there is a straight answer to that.
Bowen became a good 3 point shooter. Not great but good.
He never became Ray Allen etc
Defense can be taught but only to a certain extent. If you don't have a certain amount of athletic ability then your never going to bee great. It really seems that lateral quickness is a prerequisite in the NBA to be an elit defender.
When I hear about College PFs that are undersized who are not great atheletes I get somewhat nervous about the ability to play SF.

yavozerb
05-21-2010, 03:28 PM
6 ' 7.5" without shoes, 6'8 with shoes, 218 lbs, 6'11 wingspan...Better measurements than I was expecting.

Mr Bones
05-22-2010, 04:38 AM
6 ' 7.5" without shoes, 6'8 with shoes, 218 lbs, 6'11 wingspan...Better measurements than I was expecting.

6' 8.75" with shoes

Mr Bones
05-22-2010, 04:40 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/files/images/lbabbitt01_0.jpg
Height: 6-8
Weight: 220 lbs
Birthday: 06/20/1989
College: Nevada

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Babbitt-1340/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luke-babbitt)

He looks a little bit like Jim Carroll, the author of The Basketball Diaries.

Maddog
05-22-2010, 06:54 AM
He looks a little bit like Jim Carroll, the author of The Basketball Diaries.

:lol
must know a lot of people who died

mountainballer
05-22-2010, 10:05 AM
in his case the measurements should help big time. good numbers and unlike most white guys also a much better wingspan than height. also pretty big hands.
teams that wondered if he could also play PF in the NBA now know. he has nice tools to develop into a hybrid player like Battier or Gomes.
if the Spurs have him on their list (which I do believe), he should also have moved up. if they don't re sign Bonner (thinking about tax implications they won't) they could find minutes for him in the Bonner role and as back up for RJ. this option might look pretty attractive for them. can't tell about his upside on defense. speed will always be an issue, but he looks as if he can easily add 10-20lbs and get significantly stronger. he doesn't seem to be soft or shy away from contact, so he could become a decent defender for other combo forwards down the road.
many of the more frequently discussed options will be gone at 20. Babbitt might be our guy that moment.

DPG21920
05-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Plus, unlike Bonner, he has other tools in his game. He might struggle getting to the rim because of speed at the NBA level, but he is a decent athlete.

mountainballer
05-27-2010, 03:30 AM
twitter from Chad Ford:

http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider
Big winner of combine scores? Luke Babbitt. 37.5 inch max vert. 3.19 second sprint. 10.98 lane agility. He's a good athlete.

wow. this white man can jump. combined with his size measurements this numbers are super impressive.

to put things into perspective: Babbitt was compared to Dudley.
well, he is in fact in another world athletically and he is significantly taller.

FeZZy
05-27-2010, 04:21 AM
steve novak 2.0?

jesterbobman
05-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Measurements and Athletic testing sure make him seem like a far more attractive option. He's a good athlete, with a good frame. I was a little ambivalent on my thoughts before, but I think he definitely moves ahead of James, Robinson(though, probably also moved past pick 20. He seemingly has both the size and speed to be a combo forward.

mountainballer
05-27-2010, 06:08 AM
I also think that he good numbers might lift him to late lottery.

benefactor
05-27-2010, 08:37 AM
twitter from Chad Ford:

wow. this white man can jump. combined with his size measurements this numbers are super impressive.

to put things into perspective: Babbitt was compared to Dudley.
well, he is in fact in another world athletically and he is significantly taller.
Man...that's much better than I anticipated. Perhaps I was selling this kid a bit short.

admiralsnackbar
05-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Man...that's much better than I anticipated. Perhaps I was selling this kid a bit short.

I know I was.

It's a platitude at this point to remark about how deep this draft class is, but I really can't remember the last time so many useful players were available. Even if Babbitt's stock begins to rise beyond us based on his new measurements, he'll only push another worthy guy down our way -- not to mention that the whole league can't be reloading at the 3.

Chieflion
05-27-2010, 10:57 AM
If we can't get George, I think Babbitt would be perfect. Damn those measurements are scary, and he is quite a polished player.

The reason why it is so scary is that,

John Wall: 30.0, 39.0, -N-a, 10.84, 3.14 (No-Step Vert, Max Vert, Bench Press, Lane Agility, 3/4 Sprint)
Luke Babbitt: 29.5, 37.5, 15, 10.98, 3.4 (No-Step Vert, Max Vert, Bench Press, Lane Agility, 3/4 Sprint)

John Wall is definitely the most athletic player in the draft, no question. Although measurements cannot tell the entire story, like in-game explosiveness, but it shows that Babbitt is deceptively athletic as a forward and has some size and length. They also started doing hand length and width in which Babbitt also measured quite well in.

Luke Babbitt: 8.5, 10.0 (Hand Length, Hand Width)

In comparision, let us see the size of the hands of the other small forwards/shooting guards.

Al-Farouq Aminu: 9.5, 9.5 (Hand Length, Hand Width)
Devin Ebanks: 8.3, 9.0 (Hand Length, Hand Width)
Paul George: 8.5, 9.0 (Hand Length, Hand Width)
Xavier Henry: 8.8, 10.0 (Hand Length, Hand Width)
Damion James: 9.3, 8.5 (Hand Length, Hand Width)
Wesley Johnson: 9.0, 9.5 (Hand Length, Hand Width)
Lance Stephenson: 9.0, 10.3 (Hand Length, Hand Width)
Evan Turner: 8.8, 9.5 (Hand Length, Hand Width)
Gordon Hayward: 8.5, 9.3 (Hand Length, Hand Width)

Again, in comparision to these guys, Babbitt has bigger hands than most and a way better shooting touch than most of the players, which is a very good positive.

Mr. Body
05-27-2010, 01:15 PM
steve novak 2.0?

Better.

Mr. Body
05-27-2010, 01:16 PM
It's a platitude at this point to remark about how deep this draft class is, but I really can't remember the last time so many useful players were available.

It only appears deep, IMO. I can see almost all of these players being very marginal at best.

admiralsnackbar
05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
It only appears deep, IMO. I can see almost all of these players being very marginal at best.

I guess only time will tell, but I have a feeling we'll see several better-than-average role-players emerge from this class, even if I agree with you insofar as superstar talent is concerned.

BronxCowboy
05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
I doubt there are many (if any) superstars in this class, outside of John Wall, but I think there are a lot of guys that will "stick" in the NBA, but we'll see in 2-3 years.

rayray2k8
05-27-2010, 03:26 PM
This draft is very deep. Looks like every team is gonna get a quality player in the 1st round. Wouldn't be surprised to see some this years talent go all the way into the 2nd round.

Why does Babbit somewhat remind me of Dirk? Like a shorter version. Probably his footwork from 20 feet.

duncan228
05-27-2010, 10:31 PM
NBA Draft Big Board: Top 75 Players (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/05/26/draft.big.board.1/index.html)
SI.com

39 Luke Babbitt
Nevada, Sophomore
6-7, 215, 20 years old
SF
Exceptionally skilled wing player with deep range and intriguing shot-creating ability. Smart polished player who is one of the better perimeter scorers in this draft, shooting 42 percent from beyond the arc and 92 percent from the free-throw line. Average athlete who played primarily at the 4 in college due to his defensive limitations. Lacks significant lateral quickness and could have a difficult time guarding his position at the NBA level.

MaNu4Tres
05-28-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm really intrigued by Babbitt. He has the length and perhaps the best shooting ability out of anyone in the draft. Those two aspects are attributes the Spurs desperately need from there back up SF spot.

I understand some scouts have him as a 3/4 tweener but his 10.98 lane agility drill is very impressive and gives me hope his lateral quickness and agility can make him a capable perimeter defender. By comparison George Hill was timed at 12.20 seconds in this same drill.

mountainballer
05-28-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm really intrigued by Babbitt. He has the length and perhaps the best shooting ability out of anyone in the draft. Those two aspects are attributes the Spurs desperately need from there back up SF spot.

I understand some scouts have him as a 3/4 tweener but his 10.98 lane agility drill is very impressive and gives me hope his lateral quickness and agility can make him a capable perimeter defender. By comparison George Hill was timed at 12.20 seconds in this same drill.

some posts ago I tried to make a point that exactly this tweener status makes him so intriguing for the Spurs in the current situation. looking at the 2010-11 roster (including Splitter), they have some open minutes at backup SF (12-15) and some more in the Bonner (10-15) role. (assuming Bonner is gone). from all somehow realistic prospects Babbitt might be the one who could get the most minutes right away. considering the cap and tax situation, this might become another plus point for him.

MaNu4Tres
05-28-2010, 02:57 AM
in his case the measurements should help big time. good numbers and unlike most white guys also a much better wingspan than height. also pretty big hands.
teams that wondered if he could also play PF in the NBA now know. he has nice tools to develop into a hybrid player like Battier or Gomes.
if the Spurs have him on their list (which I do believe), he should also have moved up. if they don't re sign Bonner (thinking about tax implications they won't) they could find minutes for him in the Bonner role and as back up for RJ. this option might look pretty attractive for them. can't tell about his upside on defense. speed will always be an issue, but he looks as if he can easily add 10-20lbs and get significantly stronger. he doesn't seem to be soft or shy away from contact, so he could become a decent defender for other combo forwards down the road.
many of the more frequently discussed options will be gone at 20. Babbitt might be our guy that moment.

You sure did. Nice post :tu

And I agree with everything you said.

Concerning his speed and athletic drills, they were very impressive and that alone indicates he certainly has the athletic tools to be a capable perimeter defender.

You can say I'm on the Paul George and Luke Babbitt bandwagon right now.:hat

He kind of reminds me of a more athletic version of Chris Mullin, or a more athletic Toni Kukoc . That's the ceiling comparison of course, at the same time he could very well be compared to Luke Jackson.

Regardless he's one of the prospects I'd like to take a gamble on at #20 (if he's available)

Here's an interview. Kid's got a good head on his shoulders :tu
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-o3yewadsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-o3yewadsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

mountainballer
05-28-2010, 04:30 AM
He kind of reminds me of a more athletic version of Chris Mullin, or a more athletic Toni Kukoc . That's the ceiling comparison of course, at the same time he could very well be compared to Luke Jackson.

I would use another Luke as a comparison, namely Luke Walton. (in any case Babbitt should be significantly better as an athlete as Walton, so Luke Walton should definitely be the worst case).
a more athletic Tony Kukoc as best case would be a superstar. that's probably a bit to optimistic. what about Gallinari?

Dro210
05-28-2010, 06:33 PM
This guys numbers are outstanding... I don't know for sure who I want yet, but Babbitt is gaining a lot of momentum on my board tho. I think it's gonna come down to Babbitt, George, and Henry... depending on who's available of course.

Check out the shooting #s from the combine:
http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-shooting-drill-results

Also from those numbers... I'm a Texas guy and I love D. James, and I like Stanley Robinson as a player too, but it's obvious those aren't our guys. Not at 20..... Unless it was just a fluke, James Anderson hurt his status too. imo, his biggest question was going to be whether or not he had NBA range, and he didn't help his case at all..... and damn, I love Jordan Crawford's potential. Too many guys ahead of him to take him at 20, and no way he falls to 49, but I'd love to get him.

TD 21
05-28-2010, 06:55 PM
If Babbitt is still available at twenty or a guy like Anderson falls to the Spurs, I could not only see them drafting either (while I think they'd take George first, I doubt he'll still be on the board), but foregoing signing a veteran wing altogether. Because in the case of either they're both expected to be able to contribute immediately, particularly as shooters.

Also, that wouldn't block Hairston/Gee and to a lesser extent, Temple (because I expect his minutes to primarily come at PG), as much. As far as having another option to play the stopper role, though, that would leave the Spurs perilously thin in that department.

I don't know about Babbitt being able to play the tweener role, though. I'm not saying he for sure can't, I'm just skeptical that he can. All in all, similar to George, he seems like Spurs material.

objective
05-29-2010, 04:55 AM
He has a similar backstory to George Hill. Babbitt from what I understood was recruited to play at Ohio State and could have been with Evan Turner and competing for deep runs in the tourney but decided to stay local with Nevada.

DBMethos
05-29-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm warming up to Babbitt...which means we won't get him. :lol:depressed

yavozerb
05-30-2010, 08:07 AM
This kid keeps moving up and mybe even find himself in the top 10..Pretty unbelievable shooting from a someone his size.

Nba 3 pt shot= 19-25
15-18 ft jumpers = 16-24
college 3 pt shot= 21-25

Timed shooting the move (15-18 ft jumpers)
rt elbow baseline 9-13
elbow to elbow- 11-13
lft elbow to baseline 11-15

Overal shooting= 75%

Here is the link for complete details: http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-shooting-drill-results

Mr Bones
05-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Seems like Babbitt was an unwitting victim of the "white men can't jump" and "white shooters aren't athletic" cliches until the objectivity of the measurements portion of the draft came into play.... his vertical leap and lane agility numbers are among the best in the class. His lane agility time was the best among all forwards in the draft and only beaten by a couple of smaller guards, including John Wall. At this point, any scouting report that claims Babbitt has "average athleticism" is just factually incorrect.

angelbelow
05-30-2010, 02:02 PM
damn the more i read about him the more i hope hes available when we draft.. but hes doing wonderful in the workouts.

Darkwaters
05-30-2010, 10:56 PM
I have been thinking for a while that he could be a sneaky under the radar Spurs-style pick. But with the way things are turning out we might never get the opportunity.

SenorSpur
05-30-2010, 11:01 PM
From reading the previous posts, I'm was beginning to warm up to the possibility of this kid. Then I read the scouting report from NBA Draft Express:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luke-babbitt

Weaknesses: He lacks lateral quickness, and will be an eye-opening target for any quick and athletic forward who is matched up with him ... Not the greatest or quickest athlete, which could be another obstacle for him, as he won't be able to create as much space for himself in the NBA the way he did in college ... Able to aggressively finish in college at the rim, but will have difficulty when challenging 7 footers at the next level.

Overall: Babbitt has a fun game to watch, as he can score in a number of ways ... Defensively he will be a liability when manning up on the wing, but can fill a nice scoring role off the bench for a good team as he is likely to be drafted in the mid to late first round ... If he was stronger, more athletic and more explosive, he would be a lot higher on GMs draft boards

The question I have is are these all legitmate concerns with Babbitt?

Darkwaters
05-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Babbitt is intriguing b/c he can kill two birds with one stone. He can likely play the 3 and also replace Bonner as the stretch 4. He brings shooting and offense. Yes, hes a defensive liability at this point, but so was Mason and Bonner. And both of them started.

SenorSpur
05-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Babbitt is intriguing b/c he can kill two birds with one stone. He can likely play the 3 and also replace Bonner as the stretch 4. He brings shooting and offense. Yes, hes a defensive liability at this point, but so was Mason and Bonner. And both of them started.

Excellent points.

If "killing one of those birds" means finally bidding adios to Bonner, and his recurring playoff failings, then Babbitt is looking better by the minute.

While I still hope George is available @ #20, Babbitt would be a nice consolation prize for the Spurs.

lurker23
05-31-2010, 01:07 AM

That's kind of a scary comparison...from what I've seen of Luke Jackson recently, when his jumper isn't falling, he's next to useless.

DesignatedT
05-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Babbit may surprise people with his athleticism. The guy can score the ball in every way. not just a shooter. If his jumper isn't falling or whatever the guy can still put the ball on the floor and make an impact in other ways (unlike bonner).

question mark is still defense though.

Chieflion
05-31-2010, 01:41 AM
From reading the previous posts, I'm was beginning to warm up to the possibility of this kid. Then I read the scouting report from NBA Draft Express:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luke-babbitt

Weaknesses: He lacks lateral quickness, and will be an eye-opening target for any quick and athletic forward who is matched up with him ... Not the greatest or quickest athlete, which could be another obstacle for him, as he won't be able to create as much space for himself in the NBA the way he did in college ... Able to aggressively finish in college at the rim, but will have difficulty when challenging 7 footers at the next level.

Overall: Babbitt has a fun game to watch, as he can score in a number of ways ... Defensively he will be a liability when manning up on the wing, but can fill a nice scoring role off the bench for a good team as he is likely to be drafted in the mid to late first round ... If he was stronger, more athletic and more explosive, he would be a lot higher on GMs draft boards

The question I have is are these all legitmate concerns with Babbitt?

The lateral quickness thing is proven wrong. You can look up his measurements on draftexpress. Babbitt is by no means unathletic, the misconception is way overblown. Babbitt plays like a SF version of Manu Ginobili (not saying he is that good, but there is a stylistic resemblance). He makes mind-blowing plays and has a high basketball IQ. He is also left-handed which gives him somewhat of an advantage on offense.

mountainballer
05-31-2010, 05:43 AM
I think he can be put in the same league athletically like Omri Cassp (who was always labeled as "good athlete"). and he should be a slightly better overall player and significantly better shooter than Casspi.
considering how well Casspi did in hie rookie season the outlook for Babbitt is pretty bright.
and considering that Casspi has been on the Spurs radar for many years and assuming he would have been high on their list in the 2009 draft, Babbitt fits the profile of a Spurs pick almost perfectly.

Darkwaters
05-31-2010, 06:12 AM
I think he can be put in the same league athletically like Omri Cassp (who was always labeled as "good athlete"). and he should be a slightly better overall player and significantly better shooter than Casspi.
considering how well Casspi did in hie rookie season the outlook for Babbitt is pretty bright.
and considering that Casspi has been on the Spurs radar for many years and assuming he would have been high on their list in the 2009 draft, Babbitt fits the profile of a Spurs pick almost perfectly.

I'm starting to feel more and more that way myself. Babbitt is probably not the sexy pick, but he'd probably be a smart one. I could definitely see the Spurs targeting this kid.

jesterbobman
05-31-2010, 06:28 AM
I'm also fairly high on Babbitt (now). I don't get to watch much, so I rely mainly on scouting reports, and I focused don the obvious strengths(shooting) and weaknesses(athleticism), and pictured him from there. Obviously from the testing, he's far more athletic than he got credit for. He's probably not the highest potential guy we could target, but he could probably be someone like Mike Miller(I know, White guy, but a 6'8" Wingman who can shoot really well and rebound, and being underrated as an athlete). That fills a rotation spot.

SenorSpur
05-31-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm also fairly high on Babbitt (now). I don't get to watch much, so I rely mainly on scouting reports, and I focused don the obvious strengths(shooting) and weaknesses(athleticism), and pictured him from there. Obviously from the testing, he's far more athletic than he got credit for. He's probably not the highest potential guy we could target, but he could probably be someone like Mike Miller(I know, White guy, but a 6'8" Wingman who can shoot really well and rebound, and being underrated as an athlete). That fills a rotation spot.

That's it. Mike Miller was the type of comparison I was thinking of. If that is a true comparison, that's pretty good.

Again, I have to believe Paul George would be the first choice, After that, Babbitt looks as though he'd be a good fit. Good shooter, good motor and high BBIQ are definite assets that could fit the typical Spurs player profile.

benefactor
05-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Babbitt has flown up DX's mock and now sits at 12. Unless the Spurs trade up he is almost certainly out of reach.

Bruno
05-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Chad Ford also put him at #12 few days ago and said that Memphis was high on him.

Stump
05-31-2010, 01:31 PM
DraftExpress now has him at #12 as well

yavozerb
05-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Not a fan of this guys D.........He is an Adam Morrison clone.

Babbitt is bigger, much more athletic, and plays much tougher around the basket. Not even close to Morrison, he is a white guy though, so you and some of others can at least keep making the comparison on that I guess.

Mr Bones
05-31-2010, 02:46 PM
The Adam Morrison comparisons don't ring true-- it's just another case of people seeing Babbitt as merely a "white guy."

Babbitt's standing vertical jump is 4" higher than Morrison's. His maximum vertical leap is 7" higher. His lane agility time is half a second faster, he lifted the bar 4 more times (15 compared to 11), and his 3/4 court sprint was slightly faster. So, he jumps higher, runs faster, has more agility and has more strength than Morrison, and by a pretty significant margin.

It's interesting that Babbitt's measurements are also slightly better than Xavier Henry's, which is funny since Henry is scouted as having "above average athleticism" while Babbitt has been stuck with the "below average athleticism" tag. Again, Babbitt outperformed Henry in standing vertical, max vertical, lane agility, and strength. Henry had a better time in the 3/4 court sprint.

benefactor
05-31-2010, 09:34 PM
If the Spurs picked Babbitt he would be at 20 and used as a role player who makes open shots from the perimeter while doing things that don't hurt the team while he is on the floor. Morrison was a top 3 pick and was expected to me an impact player. I'm not really seeing similarity here.

Thompson
06-01-2010, 12:25 AM
I haven't seen Babbitt play at all. Does he have the potential to be a good/great defender (since he has length/athleticism/quickness)?

SenorSpur
06-01-2010, 01:32 AM
I admit I haven't seen much of him in college. It would be curious to see how he would fare when matched up against others, in a workout against his draft class.

Bruno
06-04-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-46212-Nevada-Wolf-Pack-Examiner~y2010m6d4-Babbitt-impresses-Milwaukee-Bucks-in-predraft-workout

Babbitt was in Milwaukee on Thursday to work out along with Pittsburgh's Jermaine Dixon, Hawaii's Roderick Flemings, Milwaukee's Ricky Franklin, St. John's Anthony Mason Jr., and Michigan State's Raymar Morgan.

The Bucks have three picks in the June 24 draft but just one in the first round at No. 15.

"He could be there at 15, but I know he’s also going into Utah to work out with the Utah Jazz and they have the ninth pick in the draft," McKinney said. "He appeals to a lot of people because of the way he plays."

Babbitt, at 6-foot-9, was the tallest draft prospect in Milwaukee on Thursday. Morgan is 6-8 , Flemings and Mason are 6-7, Dixon is 6-3 and Franklin is 6-1.

"It was a good workout," Babbitt said. "It was competitive, a lot of three-on-three, two-on-two, one-on-one stuff, it was a good workout. This was my third plus the combine in Chicago. (I’ve also worked out with) Miami and San Antonio.”

Mr. Body
06-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Throwing my vote in. This is the guy I want, but I think he'll be long gone by the SAS pick.

He's being underrated defensively because he's white. There, I said it. He'll be average at worst in part because he'll cover any shortcomings with pure effort.

Mr Bones
06-05-2010, 04:25 AM
Throwing my vote in. This is the guy I want, but I think he'll be long gone by the SAS pick.

He's being underrated defensively because he's white. There, I said it. He'll be average at worst in part because he'll cover any shortcomings with pure effort.

+1. One good thing about the pre-draft measurements/combine is that we get to see an objective number for vertical leap, agility, strength, etc... Too many people looked at this guy when he had longer hair and simply said, "he must be just like Adam Morrison." Babbitt's numbers beat Morrison in every single category, and they were even better than other players in this draft who've been labeled as supposedly more athletic than him.

outmap
06-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Draftexpress has us drafting this guy! :)
I want either him or Paul George!

benefactor
06-06-2010, 09:35 AM
That's strange. He was at 12 on their mock a week ago. I wonder what caused him to drop?

GooberNuts
06-06-2010, 11:11 AM
That's strange. He was at 12 on their mock a week ago. I wonder what caused him to drop?

It is actually nbadraft.net that has him at 12 - he's been 20 for awhile now at draftexpress (i don't think that website has been consistently updating like nbadraft)

MaNu4Tres
06-06-2010, 11:17 AM
It is actually nbadraft.net that has him at 12 - he's been 20 for awhile now at draftexpress (i don't think that website has been consistently updating like nbadraft)

Draftexpress actually had Babbitt at 12 during their last update and they usually update the mock every week.

kbrury
06-06-2010, 11:18 AM

I believe DX had him higher.

Mr. Body
06-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I think guys like Avery Bradley have gone up the boards. Maybe Hayward or others. I also thought Babbitt was higher.

Darkwaters
06-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Babbitt at 20 would be fine with me. More than fine actually - great

GooberNuts
06-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Draftexpress actually had Babbitt at 12 during their last update and they usually update the mock every week.

Whoops nevermind then :downspin:

benefactor
06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Babbitt also weighs just 210, and will get busted up by most SFs nightly....His lat quickness is lacking which showed as he was a piss poor defender in college against sub-a caliber college players, what do you think is gonna happen when he trys to defend NBA 3s?

White guy has nothing to do with it.......Morrison was PLAYER OF THE YEAR IN COLLEGE......yet cant get on the court in the nba and struggled at both ends when he did. Morrison could shoot of the move while babbitt has not shown he can do that yet.

I am very leary of this guy and unless he gets in a system like the triangle I think he will struggle.
So you are expecting Babbitt to play 30 minutes per night right off the bat?

MaNu4Tres
06-06-2010, 05:28 PM
So you are expecting Babbitt to play 30 minutes per night right off the bat?

He's mistakenly implying that Babbitt will be another guy who has had a piss poor work ethic in the NBA.

Not the guy who was the college player of the year.

lefty
06-06-2010, 06:22 PM
With a name like that, he will end up with the Lakers.

admiralsnackbar
06-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Babbit is thinner, like Morrison cant defend SG SF OR PFs......let us also remember Morrison was player of the year in the NCAA Babbitt is not close to the player Morrison was coming out........They guy maybe can shoot but what good does he do us if he cant defend?

Dont we have enough guys like that already, Bonner, Mason...

We don't have either player... both FAs, unlikely to return.

benefactor
06-06-2010, 09:10 PM
No I dont but I think we need someone who can play 20 at pf or Center not a guy who may be a good player in 2 or 3 years......My line of thought is the window for this team may close at the end of next season, the only way to keep it open it to find guys who can play now.

I hate to tell you this, but the Spurs are not going to find a guy that will play 20 mpg at PF/C next season with the 20th pick...even if Splitter does not come.

3 years from now Babbitt may be a good player but I would much rather have an Alabi who if nothing else helps make our wings better defenders by allowing them to get in guys grills knowing we have a shot changer behind them........

So Babbitt can't help now but Alabi can? That's pretty hard to take seriously. Like Whiteside, Alabi has great physical tools but he is clearly a project that won't be an NBA player anytime soon. In looking at the big man pool that the Spurs will be picking from at 20 they are probably better off re-signing Mahinmi if they want someone that can play meaningful minutes next season.

Also dont we have enough wing scorers.....Manu TP Hill RJ how many shots do you think this guys is gonna get per game?? We need a post guy who can do more than face up and shoot 15ft shots.
They need a SF more than they need anything else. There is really not much to debate on this. The only depth they have at that position is an unproven Malik Hairston who still has even shown enough development to warrant more than situational minutes.

ChuckD
06-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm going to play my card on this one. The following two paragraphs make me say NO on Babbitt:

A versatile threat that could possibly play either forward position on the next level offensively, Babbitt doesn’t enjoy the same potential defensively. Possessing average lateral quickness and leaping ability at the college level, Babbitt likely lacks the physical tools to defend NBA small forwards. Though his length affords him some success defending the post and rebounding the ball on the college level, Babbitt’s lack of physicality and athleticism are definitely a concern, and a characteristic that limits his ability to accumulate blocks, steals, and rebounds. He doesn't appear very quick to react when his man makes a move, nor does he appear to have the type of intensity that would help him be a solid defender.

At this juncture, Babbitt reminds us of Austin Croshere, and has the potential to be a Steve Novak type shooter down the road. Potentially a four year player, Babbitt’s lack of physical tools will always limit him defensively, but if he can diversify his offensive game, he could propel himself into the draft conversation. Improved polish in some aspects of the game and improved productivity will no doubt afford him a shot at the NBA whenever he declares.

If you're picking in the 20s, don't settle for Steve Novak. Go after someone raw who might blow up. You can always find Steve Novaks in free agency after they've developed a bit. In fact, it's probably better to get them after the shock of the speed and physicality of the NBA has dissipated, maybe a couple of years down the line.

Thompson
06-07-2010, 08:52 PM
When was the article you quote written? It might have been before Babbitt tested so well in his athleticism measurements (2nd or 3rd best in the whole draft, I think).

DesignatedT
06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I still like Babbit as an option after George. Sadly i don't see either of them at 20.

from BR:
Luke Babbitt, SF 6’8’’ Nevada

Luke Babbitt is one of those unknown talents that will have to make a name for himself. He is a 6’8’’ forward but many people don’t know what position he is designated at. One thing, Babbitt is a fierce competitor and will survive in the NBA.
During the NBA Draft combine he displayed his wonderful shooting tactics, hitting 75.7 percent of his shots, which was fourth at the combine.
Babbitt has now raised his draft stock into lottery status but still isn’t getting enough respect for what he does.

I think the comparison to Mike Miller is more fair than comparing him to Steve Novak...

ChuckD
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I still like Babbit as an option after George. Sadly i don't see either of them at 20.

I think the comparison to Mike Miller is more fair than comparing him to Steve Novak...

Uh, no. Mike Miller is a guard with serious handle who can create for himself and for others off the dribble. Don't go imagining shit that isn't there.

Oh, and that 75% was uncontested. His contested number was about 25%.

ChuckD
06-07-2010, 09:38 PM
When was the article you quote written? It might have been before Babbitt tested so well in his athleticism measurements (2nd or 3rd best in the whole draft, I think).

His vertical jump and sprint numbers are good to very good, but none of that tests lateral mobility, and without that, you'll never be more than an average hustle type team defender in the NBA.

DesignatedT
06-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Uh, no. Mike Miller is a guard with serious handle who can create for himself and for others off the dribble. Don't go imagining shit that isn't there.

Oh, and that 75% was uncontested. His contested number was about 25%.

Lol I never said he would be as good as Mike Miller but saying that it would be a more of an accurate comparison. Babbitt's athleticism blows Novak and Croshere's out of the water. Maybe a Mike Dunleavy or Linas Kleiza comparison would be more fair.

But his offensive game is pretty polished overall. Unlike Novak who could only shoot 3's, Babbitt is able to score in many different ways other than his 3 pt shot. His handle isn't bad and has the ability to put the ball on the floor and take the ball to the rim.

ChuckD
06-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh, offensively, he's probably close to being ready to play in the NBA. This is the Spurs we are talking about, though. If you can't carry your water on defense, your floor time will be severely limited. Matt Bonner was as good a long ball shooting big man as there is in the league, but he couldn't stay in front of a Silver Dancer, and was relegated to less than 18 minutes per game as a result.

TimDunkem
06-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Oh, offensively, he's probably close to being ready to play in the NBA. This is the Spurs we are talking about, though. If you can't carry your water on defense, your floor time will be severely limited. Matt Bonner was as good a long ball shooting big man as there is in the league, but he couldn't stay in front of a Silver Dancer, and was relegated to less than 18 minutes per game as a result.
Please. He never could, and everyone has known that for a long time. (Neither could Mason infact, but he still got playing time)

The Spurs were just deeper this year.

SenorSpur
06-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Please. He never could, and everyone has known that for a long time. (Neither could Mason infact, but he still got playing time)
The Spurs were just deeper this year.

...and neither could Finley. He got too much playing time.

mountainballer
06-08-2010, 02:58 AM
His vertical jump and sprint numbers are good to very good, but none of that tests lateral mobility, and without that, you'll never be more than an average hustle type team defender in the NBA.

the agility test tells about the lateral quickness and actually his time in this test (10.98) is very good, especially for a 6-9 guy. his sprint time is a bit below average at 3.40.

for explanation: the agility test consists of 8 lengths around cones on each corner of the paint, on each corner the direction and steps change.
you go (clockwise) lateral steps right, backsteps, lateral steps left, steps forward to starting point. (counterclockwise). backsteps, lateral steps right, steps forward, lateral steps left to starting point. (finished)

pad300
06-08-2010, 09:20 AM
the agility test tells about the lateral quickness and actually his time in this test (10.98) is very good, especially for a 6-9 guy. his sprint time is a bit below average at 3.40.

for explanation: the agility test consists of 8 lengths around cones on each corner of the paint, on each corner the direction and steps change.
you go (clockwise) lateral steps right, backsteps, lateral steps left, steps forward to starting point. (counterclockwise). backsteps, lateral steps right, steps forward, lateral steps left to starting point. (finished)

Yep, that's how the agility test is done, however, it's a pretty poor measurement of actual agility on a basketball court. Given the pre-specified nature of the pattern, a couple of days of practice can really clean up your footwork for that pattern. However, on the court, the movements aren't predictable, and it becomes almost as much about your IQ and ability to anticipate and react to your opponents moves. This drill removes that spontaneity, and therefore a player who is not quick can still score fairly well if he drills it repeatedly...

mountainballer
06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Yep, that's how the agility test is done, however, it's a pretty poor measurement of actual agility on a basketball court. Given the pre-specified nature of the pattern, a couple of days of practice can really clean up your footwork for that pattern. However, on the court, the movements aren't predictable, and it becomes almost as much about your IQ and ability to anticipate and react to your opponents moves. This drill removes that spontaneity, and therefore a player who is not quick can still score fairly well if he drills it repeatedly...

absolutely right. it's far from an exact science to measure a players agility. just a try to get somehow comparable numbers.
on the other hand, if it didn't tell anything, they wouldn't do it at all. and one thing we can assume for sure: whoever goes to the camp and does the agility test, did also integrate this drill in his preparation program. however, you are right, no data that tells about the ability to anticipate and react. (you still hope to read a good time from a player you favor)

mountainballer
06-09-2010, 06:52 AM
I see that the Babbitt thread has turned into a general draft discussion. let's switch questions about what position the Spurs should draft to there.

Ditty
06-09-2010, 09:34 AM
lukeeeeeeeeeeeeee

paul george is my first choice

Mr Bones
06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Babbitt also weighs just 210, and will get busted up by most SFs nightly....His lat quickness is lacking which showed as he was a piss poor defender in college against sub-a caliber college players, what do you think is gonna happen when he trys to defend NBA 3s?

White guy has nothing to do with it.......Morrison was PLAYER OF THE YEAR IN COLLEGE......yet cant get on the court in the nba and struggled at both ends when he did. Morrison could shoot of the move while babbitt has not shown he can do that yet.

I am very leary of this guy and unless he gets in a system like the triangle I think he will struggle.

He just weighed in the combine at 218-- not 210-- and it's reasonable to expect he'll put on at least another 10 lbs at his age, which would put him close to 230.

I think you are cherry-picking the Morrison comparison because it benefits your argument. But a couple of years ago, Kevin Durant had mediocre scores in the combine tests and was extremely skinny...and it meant nothing. Same with Tayshaun Prince. Ed O'Bannon was PLAYER OF THE YEAR and led his team to a national championship and did nothing in the pros. Santa Clara's Steve Nash turned out to be much better than Kansas's Jacques Vaughn. There are a million different scenarios you can use for comparison. If Babbitt had the exact same skills and measurements but was black, no one would think to compare him to Morrison.

5in10
06-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Much rather have Babbitt than singler.

Mr Bones
06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
But still the point is this: most pre-draft scouting reports listed Babbitt as having below average athleticism and Xavier Henry as having above average athleticism... but when it came time for objective measurements, Babbitt slightly outperformed Henry. The perceptions of scouts are subject to preconceived notions just like anyone else... and clearly Babbitt is not a guy who can't jump and doesn't have agility in the lane-- the numbers show that that is not the case. Morrison's numbers did indicate that he wasn't much of a jumper and not especially athletic. A case could be made for someone like Joe Alexander, who wowed everyone at the combine but didn't show actual basketball skills at Milwaukee. But Alexander wasn't a 50%/40%/90% guy either.

Mr Bones
06-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I get that you don't think the guy's gonna be a good pro, but how is 21.9 ppg, 8.9 rpg, and 2.1 apg along with 40%/50%/90% not dominating? Keep in mind too, Babbitt was the tallest starter on his team, playing alonside 6'6" and (supposedly) 6'8" forwards.

Bruno
06-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Stop spamming this Babbitt thread with posts that have nothing to do with him.

I have nothing against some off topic but it's too much.

I'm moving all these posts to the general Draft thread. You can continue to argue there.

MaNu4Tres
06-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I really want the Spurs to try to trade up for this guy.

lurker23
06-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I really want the Spurs to try to trade up for this guy.

I was thinking about this guy earlier today when I was looking at DX's latest mock draft:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/

They have him going to Chicago at #17. If something in that ballpark holds true, then he's likely the most talented player (at least based on needs and current abilities) that the Spurs will have access to with a relatively simple trade-up.

TheProfessor
06-19-2010, 08:25 PM
If there's going to be a small trade-up for a player, Babbitt, for me, would be the guy. He's got the kind of pure shooting skill that translates, and excellent intangibles/character. I know he's not that defensively-oriented long SF that everyone covets, but the Spurs need someone who can stretch the floor and hustle their ass off.

SenorSpur
06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
With the exception of probably 2-3 SFs in this draft, the rest of the bunch have major warts on one end of the court or the other. Personally, I've cooled a bit on Babbitt because I don't know who he can guard at the next level. I just see him as being a huge liability on the defensive end.

ace3g
06-24-2010, 11:31 AM
WojYahooNBA

An executive with a team that's targeting Nevada's Luke Babbitt fears Utah will take him with the ninth pick.

rayray2k8
06-24-2010, 11:48 AM
this guy will be taken by the Jazz if he there for them.

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 04:00 PM
all this hype, i remmeber he was lioke 25th in most mock drafts now hes going lottery. those workout numbers must have really stood out to everyone else too. too bad i was very warm on him.

bdictjames
06-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Reminds me of a buffier Tayshaun Prince. Might as well get this guy when he's still available.

rascal
06-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Because you are so wise. I just watch a lot of college basketball. I never proclaimed myself to be an expert and I didn't make anything up. Just my opinion.

So are you a scout or what? You should be GM of the spurs, huh. You shouldn't have posted at all if I'm wasting your time.

I don't know how some of these guys got any votes at all.

rascal
06-24-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-46212-Nevada-Wolf-Pack-Examiner~y2010m6d4-Babbitt-impresses-Milwaukee-Bucks-in-predraft-workout

Utah likes white players. He is likely going to Utah.