PDA

View Full Version : article: Caja Laboral prepares for the departure of Splitter.

mountainballer
04-21-2010, 07:53 AM
http://www.tubasket.com/noticiaDetail/verArticulo/acb/acb/caja/laboral/intenta/fichar/perovic/no/fesenko/51913

ACB: El Caja Laboral quiere a Kosta Perovic tras el no del ucraniano Kyrylo Fesenko
El Baskonia ya tiene asumido la marcha de Tiago Splitter a los San Antonio Spurs.

according to the article they tried to sign Fesenko. (no idea how, likely a mistakable report, IMO Fesenko isn't allowed to negotiate with a Euro team). now they want Perovic.
if nothing else, this is another very strong indicator that Tiago comes over. (do they already have an agreement?).

The Truth #6
04-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I hope that's the case...or euro agents have learned to play the Spurs like everyone else in the US.

Bruno
04-21-2010, 08:49 AM
All signs points in the direction of Splitter being a Spur nex year.

BTW, a nice little video of Tiago's highlights:
http://acbtv.acb.com/video/2804

Mal
04-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Caja Laboral is having trouble. They will have less money, so it`s obvious they won`t have Splitter next year. Splitter is going to play for Spurs or for Real Madrid. There`s no other way for him

mountainballer
04-21-2010, 09:00 AM

nice!
some more teasers.
(from Tiago's last game. watch out for the assist at 0:56)
http://acbtv.acb.com/video/2792

benefactor
04-21-2010, 09:04 AM
:tu

silverblackfan
04-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Good news. I hope this is a indicator that he is coming over next year.
Tiago will make a nice edition and fix a lot of the front court issues by just giving us a steady defensive big. Throw an ever improving Blair and a veteran like Dice off the bench and you have a great team.

mountainballer
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Tiago will make a nice edition and fix a lot of the front court issues by just giving us a steady defensive big.

I know Tiago was labeled as a defensive big for years, but currently I would expect much more impact in the NBA on offense than on defense, especially in the first two seasons. he will help on defense no doubt, because the Spurs just don't have a player his size with his mobility. but right now his top quality is his scoring in the low post and I'm pretty sure he can translate this quickly to the NBA.

pensive
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Watching that clip of Splitter, his game is a bit like Brook Lopez's. Does anyone else see that?

wildbill2u
04-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Great hands for a big man. Able to move and drive because in his early years his coach put him out on the perimeter and high post. Great low post moves have been added including the little jump hook.

And I like the look on his face. He's always animated and seems to have that agressive attitude you want on a player.

I'm ready for la march de Splitter a los San Antonio Spurs!

Libri
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Alright, hopefully it's to the Spurs. :wakeup :toast

mountainballer
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Watching that clip of Splitter, his game is a bit like Brook Lopez's. Does anyone else see that?

yes, post moves definitely.
Lopez is a much better jump shooter. Splitter is the quicker guy and less of a black hole. (in fact he is a pretty unselfish player)

Muser
04-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Not getting my hopes up until he puts on a Spurs jersey.

Leetonidas
04-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Good news, but like the above poster said, let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet until he's wearing the Spurs uni. Remember Robertas Javtokas... :depressed

#2!
04-21-2010, 09:43 AM
nice!
some more teasers.
(from Tiago's last game. watch out for the assist at 0:56)
http://acbtv.acb.com/video/2792
:wow what a great pass, it looked alot like manu's behind the back to blair earlier this season. Watching the game highlights made me more excited than the highlight reel b/c you can pick up on the things that he does naturally, in other words, what one can expect.

Between Tim, Blair, and this hopeful edition of Splitter the pick and roll game could be solid no matter what unit is on the floor. (Granted we don't resign RMJ that is.)

velik_m
04-21-2010, 10:01 AM
The one thing i don't like about Splitter, is that he seems to get rattled&upset pretty easily.

nkdlunch
04-21-2010, 10:13 AM
awesome. at least 1 more season of hope

eisfeld
04-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Him coming over next year would be more than awesome... still as others already said: "I'll believe when he puts on a Spurs uniform".

nkdlunch
04-21-2010, 10:33 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_f4Fo_GlfJs8/RsUNPHxJtdI/AAAAAAAAAG4/eDbjd6kFdKE/s400/tiago+splitter.bmp

Strengths: athletic big man, smoove in da post, fantastical passer, amazing name

Weaknesses: doesn't score a ton, not a wonderful defender, probably injury prone

NBA Comparison (best-case): Brad Miller
NBA Comparison (worst-case): Jeff Foster
NBA Comparison (most likely): P.J. Brown

anjlbitz
04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
he used to have the ugliest jump hook. i'm glad he corrected it.

NRHector
04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Fuck Tiago Splitter

yavozerb
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_f4Fo_GlfJs8/RsUNPHxJtdI/AAAAAAAAAG4/eDbjd6kFdKE/s400/tiago+splitter.bmp

Strengths: athletic big man, smoove in da post, fantastical passer, amazing name

Weaknesses: doesn't score a ton, not a wonderful defender, probably injury prone

What does probably injury prone mean exactly? Do you not like his foot width so therefore he is injury prone?

Brad miller, Brad Miller, Brad freakin miller...You gotta be kidding me..:lol

rayray2k8
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Not getting my hopes up until he puts on a Spurs jersey.

The future is a bit blurry, but in site...

http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/newsmanager/articlefiles/4844-splitter.jpg

rayray2k8
04-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Kinda want the season to end now. :lol

rjv
04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
and a legitmate 6'11" at that. it would just be nice to add that length to the frontline !

nkdlunch
04-21-2010, 11:34 AM
What does probably injury prone mean exactly? Do you not like his foot width so therefore he is injury prone?

Brad miller, Brad Miller, Brad freakin miller...You gotta be kidding me..:lol

took that from some site. they seemed pretty accurate on their evaluations of other players.

A Brad Miller on his prime is pretty damn good.

dbestpro
04-21-2010, 11:36 AM
They can sign Bonner and Mason. I have a feeling they will be free after these playoffs.

rayray2k8
04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
They can sign Bonner and Mason. I have a feeling they will be free after these playoffs.

I'm sure no one will want either 2 during Free agency. :lmao
Except maybe Vander.

Mal
04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
I`d said he reminds me a little bit of David Lee. Good pick&roll player. Have some post moves. Have size, good hands.

He doesnt have Brad Miller`s range

His team partner Teletovic is interesting. Very good rebounder with 3pts range, for euroleague standarts.

BackHome
04-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Either freakin way we get a center a postion that we have needed for three freakin years. This will be huge for us because every player who plays with Timmy "except freakin RJ" does much better!

The second unit would be bad ass with Manu ,Temple ,Blair , RJ (please trade) draft pick (Butler, Quincy, or Hayword) and freakin Splitter! With Manu having the ball in his hand with this group you would see so many dunks from Blair and Splitter.....WOW!

Off Season = Temple and Splitter in the weight room all summer.

DPG21920
04-21-2010, 07:49 PM
His floater and hook shots are really unorthodox.

alchemist
04-21-2010, 07:55 PM
What about his defense? Is he a shot blocker or Matt Bonner-esq?

raspsa
04-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Splitter should be a capable 5, but who's going to guard the Dirks of the world out on the perimeter? Still in need of that elusive defensive long SF.

benefactor
04-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Splitter and Manu are going to destroy teams on the pick and roll.

mogrovejo
04-21-2010, 08:26 PM
I've been saying for more than a year that Splitter would join the Spurs, or at least the NBA, this Summer...

Why can't Baskonia talk to Fesenko's agent? Of course they can. Hopefully we'll see Fesenko in green next season though.

Huh? Terrible scouting report and comparisons. What the heck those guys have in common anyway? I can only think they're all pretty tough.

TD 21
04-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Splitter will be a perfect fit. At this point in his career (and with the league going smaller and faster), Duncan lacks the mobility to guard four's. He has to be a five. At the same time, he's not a true five, in the mold of O'Neal, Yao, etc. So he needs another center sized big next to him to guard mobile, face up four's. The types that have killed the Spurs for years, mainly Nowitzki and Stoudemire. Splitter should be a big help in this area, as well as offering more length and shot blocking at the rim. It's my understanding that he's not a great shot blocker, but he'll instantly be an upgrade on every Spurs rotation big not named Duncan in the past few years.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Until he proves he can be a solid player in the NBA he sucks taint for all I care.

Josepatches_
04-21-2010, 08:49 PM
took that from some site. they seemed pretty accurate on their evaluations of other players.

A Brad Miller on his prime is pretty damn good.

Splitter and Brad Miller are very diferent. Splitter can't shoot from the outside but he has a better low post play.

Of course there are a lot of guys from Argentina here but Splitter since he was a boy in Spain.I saw him a lot of games all these years.

At best he could be as good as Marc Gasol is.That's pretty good for us.

jjktkk
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Splitter should be a capable 5, but who's going to guard the Dirks of the world out on the perimeter? Still in need of that elusive defensive long SF.

Unfortunately those guys are hard to find.

jag
04-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Miller isn't a bad comparison, but he doesn't have the range of Brad Miller. He also looks a lot more fundamental than Miller.

TIMMYD!
04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
At this point I don't care how polished his skills are, I just want to see a legit big man standing along side Tim. That's all we need.

phxspurfan
04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Call me when the plane lands.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Dennis Lindsey is already making plans.

SenorSpur
04-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Splitter will be a perfect fit. At this point in his career (and with the league going smaller and faster), Duncan lacks the mobility to guard four's. He has to be a five. At the same time, he's not a true five, in the mold of O'Neal, Yao, etc. So he needs another center sized big next to him to guard mobile, face up four's. The types that have killed the Spurs for years, mainly Nowitzki and Stoudemire. Splitter should be a big help in this area, as well as offering more length and shot blocking at the rim. It's my understanding that he's not a great shot blocker, but he'll instantly be an upgrade on every Spurs rotation big not named Duncan in the past few years.

Maybe it's me, but Splitter looked a little heavy-footed and slow on his spin moves and rolls to the basket. This highlight clips didn't show any defensive plays, so I have no idea about his prowess in that area.

Still, he would be a welcomed addition to this club for many of the reasons already stated. A definite upgrade. I wish we had him for this Mavs series.

I look forward to seeing a bigman rotation of Duncan, Dice, Blair, Splitter and Mahinmi for next year. That would be stout.

big daddy russ
04-21-2010, 11:45 PM

The only two guys that fit that description nowadays (at least that I can think of off the top of my head) are Tayshaun Prince and Corey Brewer.

Manufan909
04-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Maybe it's me, but Splitter looked a little heavy-footed and slow on his spin moves and rolls to the basket. This highlight clips didn't show any defensive plays, so I have no idea about his prowess in that area.

Still, he would be a welcomed addition to this club for many of the reasons already stated. A definite upgrade. I wish we had him for this Mavs series.

I look forward to seeing a bigman rotation of Duncan, Dice, Blair, Splitter and Mahinmi for next year. That would be stout.

Too bad it'll most likely be Bonner instead of Ian. Still a great big lineup, to go alongside Tony/Hill/Manu/RJ/no RMJ. Next years team will be crazy stacked.

temujin
04-22-2010, 02:21 AM
We knew this the minute Manu signed an extension.

Splitter is going to help.

Duncan no more than 28 MPG next year.

TDMVPDPOY
04-22-2010, 02:29 AM
well his got a long way to reach the legend status of rasho nesterovic

TFloss32
04-22-2010, 09:18 AM
The thought of next year's team with Tiago Splitter gets me pretty pumped up. The Spurs have been missing that paint presence alongside Duncan for a couple of years now and it will be nice to get back to that brand of Spurs basketball (assuming it all works out). Doesn't look like Roger Mason, Jr. will be back and I'd like to see Malik Hairston get Keith Bogans' minutes. I wonder if we let him walk, too? Throw in a more comfortable Richard Jefferson in his second year in the system and I like what we have. Hopefully the Spurs will have a great draft as I think there is some quality talent to be had at #20. I think Quincy Pondexter of Washington or James Anderson of Oklahoma State would be solid pick-ups that could contribute right away. They have the scoring and defensive abilities that we need and they'd be good fits, IMO.

Mark in Austin
04-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Nice bank shot there at the end of the clip. :toast

Fabbs
04-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the clip Bruno.

Hard to say as it's against lesser competition. But Splitter did play in the Olys and held his own, right Bruno?

I will say Ian M. has shown me anything Splitter has so it continues to be an unknown why Popazit benches Ian but seemingly will cut Ian and start all over (yet again) with a big (Splitter).

Cane
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Tiago is going to be awesome next year. As long as the Spurs stay healthy, Tiago is going to get a ton of open looks which just about anybody should knock down.

Hopefully he's not Beno 2.0 but his game should be able to transfer well over here.

BackHome
04-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Come on guys Ian just plain sucks....the coaching staff and owner see him in D league practice they saw him in the Spurs practice there is a reason they are going to let him go. He just is not a basketball player.........

Everyone cried about when we released Pop who is he playing with now? What team is he starting on?

jimo2305
04-22-2010, 05:23 PM
lol...

not buying it...

im not convinced until the ref throws the ball up and splitter tips it to our favor.. of course wearing a spurs jersey..

raspsa
04-22-2010, 05:35 PM
A Jeff Foster in his prime isn't too shabby. Physical player, tenacious rebounder who knows how to bang bodies and plays within his limits.

vander
04-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Sign Splitter
Sign Mahinmi
trade RJ+Mcdyess+Bonner(S&T) for Iguodala and Brand

5. TD, Ian
4. Brand, Splitter
3. Iggy, Hairston
2. Manu, Hairston, Hill
1. TP, Hill

that looks pretty good to me :lobt2:

TD 21
04-22-2010, 06:52 PM

I know what you mean, but Splitter is known to be a mobile big man with decent athleticism. He's not the second coming of Stoudemire, but he'll be a noticeable upgrade on Spurs bigs in this area. Buford described him as a Varejao type player, so you know he's a good defender.

Mahinmi is gone. The Spurs aren't going to hijack this guy's career. If they didn't have him in the rotation this season, what makes you think they would next season? Assuming Splitter signs, plus Blair's expected improvement, minutes are going to be tougher to come by in the Spurs front court; not easier. One of McDyess or Bonner is gone; hopefully, it's the latter. He can be replaced by signing Cook for the minimum.

Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, Blair, Cook, would be a strong front court. The Spurs should probably draft a wing (preferably a true SF), such as Pondexter, George, Robinson, Anderson, etc. Assuming they do, add one of them to Ginobili, Jefferson and Hairston on the wings. Bogans looks to be this years Mason, in that Pop has seemingly lost confidence in him and no longer trusts him. If that's true, he could be gone. Expect Bell or worse to be brought in to replace him. Then at the point, Parker, Hill and Temple. Gee, Jerrells, potentially the 2nd round pick and a few others can battle it out for the remaining spot or two, depending on how many players the Spurs decide to break camp with.

Ideal (realistic) 10-11 roster...

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Jefferson, C- Splitter, SG- Ginobili, PG- Parker

Bench: PG/SG- Hill, PF- McDyess, SG- Bell, PF- Blair, SG/SF- Hairston, SF- George/Pondexter, PF- Cook

Inactive: SG/PG- Temple

MaNu4Tres
04-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Mahinmi is gone. The Spurs aren't going to hijack this guy's career. If they didn't have him in the rotation this season, what makes you think they would next season? Assuming Splitter signs, plus Blair's expected improvement, minutes are going to be tougher to come by in the Spurs front court; not easier. One of McDyess or Bonner is gone; hopefully, it's the latter. He can be replaced by signing Cook for the minimum.

Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, Blair, Cook, would be a strong front court.

Spurs are going to try to resign Mahimni for a cheaper contract. Buford has already indicated that Mahimni is still part of their future. The reason why they didn't pick up his option was because they just didn't believe he was worth 1.75 mil ( Which would count as 3.5 mil on the cap next year). IMO They believe they will have a good chance at resigning him this off-season to a 2/3 year deal worth 800k-1.25 mil per year( which saves Holt at least a million on the cap).

Bonner won't be here if Splitter signs, unless Blair or Dyess are traded. ( which I don't see happening).

Cook is recycled trash. I would rather resign Mahinmi on the cheap. ( And please don't tell me other teams are going to be offering Mahimni half the MLE. That ain't happening. The market won't warrant Mahimni that type of deal. I.E see Channing Frye and the 1.9 million he got last year after being a significant role player in Portland last year.) If Mahimni gets more than 2 million I'll be shocked.

TD 21
04-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Spurs are going to try to resign Mahimni for a cheaper contract. Buford has already indicated that Mahimni is still part of their future. The reason why they didn't pick up his option was because they just didn't believe he was worth 1.75 mil ( Which would count as 3.5 mil on the cap next year). IMO They believe they will have a good chance at resigning him this off-season to a 2/3 year deal worth 800k-1.25 mil per year( which saves Holt at least a million on the cap).

Bonner won't be here if Splitter signs, unless Blair or Dyess are traded. ( which I don't see happening).

Cook is recycled trash. I would rather resign Mahinmi on the cheap. ( And please don't tell me other teams are going to be offering Mahimni half the MLE. That ain't happening. The market won't warrant Mahimni that type of deal. I.E see Channing Frye and the 1.9 million he got last year after being a significant role player in Portland last year.) If Mahimni gets more than 2 million I'll be shocked.

I didn't hear that. That's good news, though. I don't want Mahinmi gone, just assumed he would be. His agent will probably try to find him a place where he can get more minutes though.

No chance the Spurs trade a talent like Blair. They knew they struck gold with him and better yet, they have him on a cheap, (relatively) long term contract. He's not a Hall-of-Famer in the making, but he could turn out to be a cut below All-Star caliber.

It comes down to McDyess or Bonner. Even though he's only got a year left, adding Splitter would be somewhat negated if McDyess is traded. The idea is to substantially upgrade the front court, not marginally.

Completely agree about Cook. But we know the Spurs are obsessed with stretch four's, so if Bonner is gone he'd be a perfect fifth big, because that's about all he's good for. Best of all, he'll be a minimum salary player. That's why I threw his name out there, not because I'm a fan.

No chance Mahinmi get's that, but he could get an opportunity for more minutes, which isn't happening with the Spurs (at least in terms of the regular rotation). Maybe they sit Duncan and McDyess more on back to backs, but if they get injuries again and are in a tight playoff race, that isn't happening either.

Two questions about the roster I proposed...

1) You think Holt is willing to pay what it'll likely cost for this roster?

2) You think, health permitting, it's a legitimate contender?

exstatic
04-22-2010, 07:35 PM
lol...

not buying it...

im not convinced until the ref throws the ball up and splitter tips it to our favor.. of course wearing a spurs jersey..

I'll pretty much be convinced if and when he signs a contract.

Spurtacus
04-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Came somebody please post the Master Splitter pic.

MaNu4Tres
04-22-2010, 07:56 PM
I didn't hear that. That's good news, though. I don't want Mahinmi gone, just assumed he would be. His agent will probably try to find him a place where he can get more minutes though.

No chance the Spurs trade a talent like Blair. They knew they struck gold with him and better yet, they have him on a cheap, (relatively) long term contract. He's not a Hall-of-Famer in the making, but he could turn out to be a cut below All-Star caliber.

It comes down to McDyess or Bonner. Even though he's only got a year left, adding Splitter would be somewhat negated if McDyess is traded. The idea is to substantially upgrade the front court, not marginally.

Completely agree about Cook. But we know the Spurs are obsessed with stretch four's, so if Bonner is gone he'd be a perfect fifth big, because that's about all he's good for. Best of all, he'll be a minimum salary player. That's why I threw his name out there, not because I'm a fan.

No chance Mahinmi get's that, but he could get an opportunity for more minutes, which isn't happening with the Spurs (at least in terms of the regular rotation). Maybe they sit Duncan and McDyess more on back to backs, but if they get injuries again and are in a tight playoff race, that isn't happening either.

I don't think Mahimni will get quality time here either the next year or two, especially if we sign Splitter. IMO The whole objective on the situation would be to groom him for when Dyess' contract is up (or retires) or after 2012 when more minutes are available ( he will only be 25 years old). Here is why a small 2 year deal makes sense. He can keep working on his game, stay in the program, and prepare for the era after Duncan ( if he retires after 2012). When his contract is up, more minutes will be available and depending on his improvements, Spurs can reward him to a deal similar to Bonner's or perhaps more depending on how much the Spurs value him during this time.

From what it seems the Spurs know his value and want to hold on to it, it has been evident in recent interviews by R.C mentioning Mahimni's name with Gee, Hairston, Jerrels as a group they want to keep grooming moving forward.

All in all, if there's a strong mutual respect between the organization and Mahimni, I don't see Yanny leaving for the same amount of money. Especially if there's an understanding between the organization and Yan that they want him to be a significant part of their franchise from 2012 forward.

TD 21
04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't think Mahimni will get quality time here either the next year or two, especially if we sign Splitter. IMO The whole objective on the situation would be to groom him for when Dyess' contract is up (or retires) or after 2012 when more minutes are available ( he will only be 25 years old). Here is why a small 2 year deal makes sense. He can keep working on his game, stay in the program, and prepare for the era after Duncan ( if he retires after 2012). When his contract is up, more minutes will be available and depending on his improvements, Spurs can reward him to a deal similar to Bonner's or perhaps more depending on how much the Spurs value him during this time.

From what it seems the Spurs know his value and want to hold on to it, it has been evident in recent interviews by R.C mentioning Mahimni's name with Gee, Hairston, Jerrels as a group they want to keep grooming moving forward.

All in all, if there's a strong mutual respect between the organization and Mahimni, I don't see Yanny leaving for the same amount of money. Especially if there's an understanding between the organization and Yan that they want him to be a significant part of their franchise from 2012 forward.

That sounds great from a Spurs perspective, but if you're Mahinmi, why would you waste another year of your career riding the pine? He has to want to play and establish himself in this league as soon as possible, or at some point he'll become just another player with physical tools who fizzled out.

Mahinmi is further along than the others though. He can play in a rotation next season. The others are just trying to get their foot in the door (or, in the case of Hairston, keep his foot in the door). As a fan, I like your idea, but from his and his agent's perspective, I can't see them going along with that.

I don't think it's really about money for Mahinmi. He'll probably get around the same amount regardless of where he plays. It's about opportunity to play. The Spurs can't (or won't) offer it, at least not next season.

BackHome
04-22-2010, 09:35 PM
If we get Splitter then Ian will not see any minutes adding that Blair will probably be much better next year. So I don't see the Spurs keeping him if we get Splitter and draft Butler/Quincy/Hayword then the only position we need would be backup PG/SG and I like Temple at that position.

I would like to keep Bonner I think each year he is getting more comfortable and adding new things to his game. Do I want him to be a starter NO but the guy is great backup and hitting over 40% from the three aint to shabby.

If we want another big then I bet a second round guy like Brian Zoubek who averaged 16.7 rbds while playing an average of 18 minutes would be way better then what Ian could be in the next three years.

gilmor
04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
I know what you mean, but Splitter is known to be a mobile big man with decent athleticism. He's not the second coming of Stoudemire, but he'll be a noticeable upgrade on Spurs bigs in this area. Buford described him as a Varejao type player, so you know he's a good defender.

Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, Blair, Cook, would be a strong front court. The Spurs should probably draft a wing (preferably a true SF), such as Pondexter, George, Robinson, Anderson, etc. Assuming they do, add one of them to Ginobili, Jefferson and Hairston on the wings. Bogans looks to be this years Mason, in that Pop has seemingly lost confidence in him and no longer trusts him. If that's true, he could be gone. Expect Bell or worse to be brought in to replace him. Then at the point, Parker, Hill and Temple. Gee, Jerrells, potentially the 2nd round pick and a few others can battle it out for the remaining spot or two, depending on how many players the Spurs decide to break camp with.

Bench: PG/SG- Hill, PF- McDyess, SG- Bell, PF- Blair, SG/SF- Hairston, SF- George/Pondexter, PF- Cook

Dice retiring after this year..

chasky
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Splitter and Brad Miller are very diferent. Splitter can't shoot from the outside but he has a better low post play.

Of course there are a lot of guys from Argentina here but Splitter since he was a boy in Spain.I saw him a lot of games all these years.

At best he could be as good as Marc Gasol is.That's pretty good for us.

Great comparation!

Tiago Splitter ~= Marc Gasol

I saw him play with Tau in Scola days and he plays in Brazil NT, he's pretty good.

Big P
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Sign Splitter
Sign Mahinmi
trade RJ+Mcdyess+Bonner(S&T) for Iguodala and Brand

5. TD, Ian
4. Brand, Splitter
3. Iggy, Hairston
2. Manu, Hairston, Hill
1. TP, Hill

that looks pretty good to me :lobt2:

Brand..wtf?? Are you trying to cripple us? Brand is set to make $16, $17, & $18 mil over the next 3 years..Iguodola's salary is just as obscene, but I think he would produce to deserve it..Brand on the other hand is done..in fact he was done before Philly was dumb enough to sign him to that crazy contract.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-22-2010, 10:51 PM
He would be a great fit on this team. Along with a great draft pick, the Spurs will be loaded next year. I want to see Mason gone, along with someone else, just not sure who.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-22-2010, 10:51 PM
But like others have said, gonna try not to get excited until it is official.

vander
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Brand..wtf?? Are you trying to cripple us? Brand is set to make $16, $17, & $18 mil over the next 3 years..Iguodola's salary is just as obscene, but I think he would produce to deserve it..Brand on the other hand is done..in fact he was done before Philly was dumb enough to sign him to that crazy contract.

I've heard that Brand is the price of Iggy, and in our current over-the-cap situation. this is easily the best we can turn RJ's expiring contract into...

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-23-2010, 01:13 AM

I might be wrong, but isn't it in the CBA that a team cannot decline a player option and then resign him for less money than what he would have been due to receive for the optional season?

TD 21
04-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Dice retiring after this year..

No, he's retiring after next season.

Spurs808
04-23-2010, 04:13 AM

I would be totally down for that. even w/o bell, temple could be the back up pg and hill could be the sg behind ginobili. I also really hope the spurs draft a sf. pondexter would be crip. :flag:

mogrovejo
04-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Mahinmi's chance of staying with the Spurs are very small. Some teams will come up with more attractive offers for him. And he should move away from San Antonio.

5. TD, Ian
4. Brand, Splitter

Horrible. Brand can't play the 4 anymore. Splitter isn't a full time 4, not even close.

Spurs should deal McDyess + sweetener for Tyrus Thomas. If Brown stays in Charlotte, this should be possible; he's like Dice's second father.

Then sign a stretch-four. Bonner or someone like that. Tolliver would be a nice fit.

Duncan, Splitter, Thomas, Tolliver, Blair - that's a big man rotation with versatility+quality+future.

exstatic
04-23-2010, 07:15 AM
I've heard that Brand is the price of Iggy, and in our current over-the-cap situation. this is easily the best we can turn RJ's expiring contract into...

Brand has ONE KNEE. Iggy is a sidekick, not a franchise guy, yet he makes franchise money without having taken a team into the playoffs.

Big P
04-23-2010, 09:36 AM

So you want us to trade rj's expiring $15 mil contract for Brand who has $50 + mil over the next 3 years, just because you think thats the best we can get for rj...I would rather let him walk away for nothing than take on some rediculous contract.

beachwood
04-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I want Splitter to be the second coming, but I'm not sold on him at all right now. Doesn't look like he has much athleticism. He's got about a 5 inch verticle as he barely clears the rim on those dunks.

I just hope he has TD level smarts and post moves. If not, he'll be another Rasho.

CarnacTheMagnificent
04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Although I am happy that splitter might be coming, I'm also very upset that pop is going to be too stubborn to play whoever the 12th man scrub is on next years team.

Mel_13
04-23-2010, 01:15 PM
I might be wrong, but isn't it in the CBA that a team cannot decline a player option and then resign him for less money than what he would have been due to receive for the optional season?

Short answer is that the Spurs can use the Bird exception to sign Ian to a contract that starts with a first year salary that may not exceed the amount of the declined 4th year option (1.78M).

So, they can sign him to a multi-year contract that starts at 1.78M or less without using any part of their LLE or MLE.

vander
04-23-2010, 01:34 PM
So you want us to trade rj's expiring $15 mil contract for Brand who has $50 + mil over the next 3 years, just because you think thats the best we can get for rj...I would rather let him walk away for nothing than take on some rediculous contract.

normally I'd agree, but with the money tied up in Manu and TD, and possibly Parker, what other options are left in order to stay contenders over the next few years?

maybe we could get Iguodala without Brand, throw in a draft pick or something...

NFGIII
04-23-2010, 01:48 PM
normally I'd agree, but with the money tied up in Manu and TD, and possibly Parker, what other options are left in order to stay contenders over the next few years?

maybe we could get Iguodala without Brand, throw in a draft pick or something...

If RJ's contract has to be moved then getting Iggy would be sweet even if the Spurs have to take on Brand's crap. I liked Brand's game until he got injured and went to Philly. He isn't the same player he was when leading the Clippers to the POs. Sadcommentary on a player that was going to be a very good one until the injury.

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Lol ian isnt even worth 1.78 or LLE, at best he should be on 350-880k watever the minimum is

ChumpDumper
04-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Although I am happy that splitter might be coming, I'm also very upset that pop is going to be too stubborn to play whoever the 12th man scrub is on next years team.Win.

ace3g
04-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Caja Laboral get over Splitter's injury to defeat Manresa 78-69

http://www.eitb.com/sports/en/detail/406027/caja-laboral-get-splitters-injury-defeat-manresa-78-69/

He was a late scratch according to the article and like the article the day of the game, neither mentioned what the injury was?

MoSpur
04-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Hmm???? Wonder if it was something serious?

Bruno
04-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Splitter has a sore back.

ace3g
04-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Splitter has a sore back.

Thanks for the update

TFloss32
04-26-2010, 05:27 PM
How will the the potential 2011 NBA Lockout affect Splitter's decision to become a Spur or stay in Europe?

MaNu4Tres
04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
How will the the potential 2011 NBA Lockout affect Splitter's decision to become a Spur or stay in Europe?

About as much as it effected Manu signing the extension.

dbestpro
04-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Here's a question. If a player like Splitter is locked out and is not getting paid, what is to stop him from signing a contract in Europe to play until the lockout is resolved? What would stop any player for that matter?

TFloss32
04-26-2010, 05:35 PM
About as much as it effected Manu signing the extension.

True, but Manu is already in the NBA and his extension is worth more than any contract Splitter will probably ever sign. Can you elaborate on why the lockout won't affect Splitter's decision?

lcroock
04-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Here's a question. If a player like Splitter is locked out and is not getting paid, what is to stop him from signing a contract in Europe to play until the lockout is resolved? What would stop any player for that matter?

I'd imagine that if his agent is smart he'll be have a clause in his contract that allows him to play in Europe if there is a lockout (I should rather say "when there is a lockout").

Mel_13
04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I'd imagine that if his agent is smart he'll be have a clause in his contract that allows him to play in Europe if there is a lockout (I should rather say "when there is a lockout").

Does anyone remember exactly how this was addressed in 1998? It would seem to me that if the owners lockout the players and stop paying them, that the players would be free to earn a living in other professional leagues.

Shastafarian
04-26-2010, 06:04 PM
I think I remember Del Negro not waiting for the lockout to be resolved and bolting for Italy. Problem is I don't remember if his contract got voided when he left or if he was in the last year of his contract with the Spurs.

Per wikipedia:

Upon his return to the NBA, Del Negro played for the San Antonio Spurs for the next six years. In early 1999 he played four games in Italy for Teamsystem Bologna, before signing with the Milwaukee Bucks, where he played in the 1998–99 and 1999–2000 seasons.

Doesn't address my question though.

exstatic
04-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Iguodala couldn't lead Philly to the playoffs...IN THE EAST. He's not an option to keep the Spurs even playoff contenders.

exstatic
04-26-2010, 06:53 PM
I think I remember Del Negro not waiting for the lockout to be resolved and bolting for Italy. Problem is I don't remember if his contract got voided when he left or if he was in the last year of his contract with the Spurs.

Per wikipedia:

Doesn't address my question though.

Del Negro was a FA.

vander
04-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Iguodala couldn't lead Philly to the playoffs...IN THE EAST. He's not an option to keep the Spurs even playoff contenders.

eh, if you swapped him for Manu, I doubt Manu gets them to the playoffs either.

Iggy will be better than RJ over the remainder of their NBA careers, that's what matters in this trade scenario

Shastafarian
04-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Del Negro was a FA.

http://files.posterous.com/pourmecoffee/y0Mtvy595Evs9MXLATZDpNVs9Uv2Rd6uthcGBe19q5IEcao6jK l9ZUFLBYZj/the_more_you_know2.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=1C9REJR1EMRZ 83Q7QRG2&Expires=1272327218&Signature=5rLSfLj8q%2FcQ%2BjpUCWpl9jk%2BBqc%3D

BackHome
04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
The union is not going to be able to keep their members on the same page longer then one month.

As far as Splitter he sure is a hell of alot better then Ian and is going to make a huge difference for us.

At PF we got Blair and Dice and if we wanted to we could add Larry Sanders who could be huge for us after getting a little experience.

At SF alot depends on what RJ does?
1. Opt out and walks
2. Opt out sign a long contract and we trade him
3. Opt out sign a three year 26 mill with us

Either way we could draft a replacment or backup Hayword, Butler, or Paul. I guess it would also depend if the Spurs think that Hairston or Gee could be RJ backup in which case they go PF with Sanders

At SG we are set with Hill, Manu, Temple

At PG we are set with Tony, Hill, Temple

Bogans and Mason will probably both be gone,

TFloss32
04-26-2010, 10:16 PM
From people I have talked to (former players and current coaches) they think the Players Union will agree to play because it hurts them more to have a lockout. I'm really hoping that there is no lockout...

Thanks for the insight, Phila.

TFloss32
04-26-2010, 10:27 PM
What is Tiago currently making with Caja Laboral (converted to US dollars)? I'm trying to figure out if we can offer less or more than what he is currently making. I know it's difficult to say for sure.