PDA

View Full Version : Why the media should not vote for DPOY

YoMamaIsCallin
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Dwight Howard gets the award (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/20/player.of.year.ap/). And, even more unbelievably, Josh Smith was 2nd.

Someone needs to explain to the media that being tall and having long arms and always trying to block shots as a help defender does not equal being a good defensive player. Far from it, it often is exactly NOT what you want them to do.

Darthkiller
04-21-2010, 02:36 PM
fail. dwight = best defender in the league by far. he doesnt even need to score and he can be hte most valuable player on the court, that's how good he is defensively.

Muser
04-21-2010, 02:44 PM
While Dwight's D is overrated he still deserves the award.

FkLA
04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
I wouldve given it to G-Wallace...best defender on if Im not mistaken the best defensive team. And on top of that he rebounds and block shots at a higher rate than most big men.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-21-2010, 02:52 PM
If not for his injury I give it to Bogut, easily. He can't block or rebound like Dwight but he anchors the 2nd best defense in the NBA.

Ghazi
04-21-2010, 02:58 PM
DoK defending a whitey? :wow

HarlemHeat37
04-21-2010, 03:03 PM
LOL, fail..

Orlando was tied for #1 in defense this season with Howard anchoring the team..he led the NBA in BPG..had BY FAR the best defensive rating in the NBA..BY FAR the most defensive win shares in the NBA..

What else do you want?..

This is an Orlando team that has one of the worst defensive backcourts in the NBA(I say this even with VC being my favorite non-Spur player), Rashard Lewis at PF, and no true defensive stopper(Barnes is above average, Pietrus is inconsistent and comes off the bench)..the only other competent defensive big man on the team never plays at the same time as Dwight..

Howard is easily the DPOY, no doubt about it..no argument..

Wallace and Bogut deserve mention, but it's Howard's award..

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Orlando had the 3rd highest defensive rating behind Milwaukee and Charlotte. Lets not get carried away with defensive win shares or KD would be a DPOY candidate. Here's why I give Bogut the award if he's healthy, this stat tells the story:

Orlando Drating with Howard off court: 106.9
Orlando Drating with Howard on court: 103.6

Milwaukee Drating with Bogut off court: 107.2
Milwaukee Drating with Bogut on court: 101.7

So basically Orlando w/o Dwight is a better defensive team than Milwaukee w/o Bogut, but Orlando w/ Dwight is a worse defensive team than Milwaukee w/ Bogut.

I don't see Wallace coming close. imo big men have so much more of an impact anchoring defenses that it should almost be impossible for perimeter players to win the award.

Mark in Austin
04-21-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd make the MVP & DPOY voted on by players & coaches.

Donkeybong
04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
I would like to see 2 defensive player of the year awards:
Perimeter Defensive Player of the Year
Interior Defensive Player of the Year

mogrovejo
04-21-2010, 04:40 PM
To me it's Howard 1st, Bogut 2nd. DOK, the Bucks have better defenders in their starting unit than the Magic + Gortat is a very good defender and rebounder himself.

mogrovejo
04-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Btw, I agree with the OP about Smith. If I were to pick a defender like him, it'd be Gerald Wallace by far. Smith is highly inconsistent and plays too happy-go-lucky defence.

I'd make the MVP & DPOY voted on by players & coaches.

Players are even more clueless than the writers.

Bob Lanier
04-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Let me guess, Hollinger and the APBR neurasthenics are the most clued-in people on the planet.

Chomag
04-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Just be glad this stuff its not fan voted. Yao Ming, AI and Tmac would be both MVP, MIPOY and DPOY every year.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-21-2010, 06:38 PM
To me it's Howard 1st, Bogut 2nd. DOK, the Bucks have better defenders in their starting unit than the Magic + Gortat is a very good defender and rebounder himself.

I'll take your word on that seeing that you watch a lot more Milwaukee than I do. Can't go wrong with either one and they're both ahead of G-Force, but Josh Smith being so high is a joke.