PDA

View Full Version : Portland ranks 6th for getting high says a new survey of U.S. pot-smoking

tlongII
04-21-2010, 02:43 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/nwheadlines/2010/04/portland_ranks_6th_for_getting.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/nwheadlines/photo/p5x181-7678-9jpg-81a01f8ad15b9e33.jpg
Rich Paul takes a puff of a marijuana joint in front of the Statehouse in Concord, N.H., Tuesday. About 100 advocates of legalizing marijuana rallied on the eve of a Senate vote to decriminalize small amounts of the drug.

We are so square at Northwest Headlines. Apparently we missed noting that yesterday, April 20, was a big date in the pot-smoking world in general, and therefore, in the taking-a-hit mecca that is Portland.

It matters because The Daily Beast marked the date by rating the most (pot)headiest places in America. It should come as no surprise that PDX made the top 10, along with four other West Coast cities. Portland came in 6, Detroit (milkawhat?) came in at No. 10. And our neighbor Seattle, home of HempFest, ranked in 8th place.

The Daily Beast looked through data on more than 1,000 cities to find out which communities rate highest for getting high year-round. Many of the top 40 towns house large universities, where the habits of young students affect the overall atmosphere. Others are the places known for strong support of marijuana legalization and taxation, or are in one of the 14 states (six of which have dispensaries) that have legalized medical marijuana.

Eureka, Calif., where a full 11 percent of the population regularly smoke doobies, tops the list. Next comes Tallahassee, Fl., and in third place, the city with the world's highest number of marijuana arrests, New York City. Boston and San Francisco round out the top five. And then comes Rose City, noteworthy, says The Daily Beast, because of the Cannabis Café at 700 N.E. Dekum St.

CuckingFunt
04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
I knew somewhere in Humboldt would be at the top of the list, but I'm surprised it's Eureka. Going purely by percentage of the population, I'd have assumed Arcata. Or one of the redneck towns in SoHum where all the big grows are.