PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Brooks to be named Most Improved Player

djohn2oo8
04-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Rockets guard Aaron Brooks will be named the winner of the NBA Most Improved Player award on Thursday, according to a person with knowledge of the voting. Brooks will be the first Rockets player to win one of the league’s performance awards since Steve Francis was a co-rookie of the year 10 years ago.

"It would mean a lot," Brooks said after the final regular-season game last week. "That’s all I can really say. "I’m happy pretty much all around (with his improvement). I’m not satisfied. I still have work to do. To win it twice in a row, that would be great. I have to become more consistent. I still want to increase my assist to turnovers (ratio.) To be up for this award, with the talent and the amazing guys that are up for this award, is an honor."

Brooks, 25, was the 26th player taken in the 2007 NBA draft and became the Rockets’ starting point guard in February 2009 after Rafter Alston was traded to the Orlando Magic. He averaged 19.6 points per game to mark the largest scoring increase, 8.4 points per game, of any player qualified for NBA statistics each of the past two seasons. He is one of three players that qualified for NBA statistics to increase his assists average by at least two per game, averaging 5.3 this season. He averaged 2.83 turnovers.

"Improving my assist to turnover ratio is important to me," Brooks said last week. "I have a lot of work to do. My assists are up. I don’t know about my turnovers dropping, but I’m getting better at that. I want to get stronger. I feel like I am a stronger player." Brooks led the NBA in 3-pointers made, setting the franchise record for 3s in a season (209) and in a game without a miss (seven.) He also became just the sixth player in NBA history to make at least 200 3-pointers and have at least 400 assists in the same season. He made at least one 3-pointer in a franchise-record 39-consecutive games.

"There’s still a lot of work to do," Brooks said last week. "If you say ‘Are you happy,’ there’s still a lot of work to do so I’m not really happy with it.
"I improved in a leadership role as far as being a leader of this team now. We’re growing and it feels good. Being one of the leaders of the team, having guys younger than you seeing I’ve been here the fifth longest on the team, you know exactly what coach wants. You know what coach is thinking. It’s your job to reiterate that on the floor. It’s your job to call the plays you want coach to run. I think I got better at doing that, knowing what coach wants and being able to execute it."
Brooks scored at least 20 points in 39 games, and scored at least 30 in 10 games.

"He has had a tremendous year," Rockets forward Shane Battier said last week. "He has single-handedly at times willed this team to victories. We wouldn’t have had a winning record without him.
"It’s a big step for him. The numbers speak for themselves. From a responsibility standpoint, with all the injuries we had, he was really, really steady. He carried this team and that warrants the award." [email protected] ([email protected])

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6969227.html

Hey Noob Cake :lmao

duhoh
04-21-2010, 05:24 PM
:lmao

mogrovejo
04-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Bad pick, but what can you do...

He averaged 19.6 points per game to mark the largest scoring increase, 8.4 points per game, of any player qualified for NBA statistics each of the past two seasons.

How many times the guy with the largest scoring increase wins this award?

mogrovejo
04-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Bad pick, but what can you do...

How many times the guy with the largest scoring increase wins this award?

Granger - second to Harris, but his ppg increased by 5 three seasons in a row, so it was kind of a career award
Hedo - check
Ellis - not sure, but he increased his scoring 6.6 ppg, pretty sure it was enough
Diaw - check
Simmons - check

They should rename it to "the player who increased his ppg average more award".

djohn2oo8
04-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Granger - second to Harris, but his ppg increased by 5 three seasons in a row, so it was kind of a career award
Hedo - check
Ellis - not sure, but he increased his scoring 6.6 ppg, pretty sure it was enough
Diaw - check
Simmons - check

They should rename it to "the player who increased his ppg average more award".

Of course you didn't watch the games, that's why you are as uneducated as Noob Cake

Amarelooms
04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Congrats to Brooks....he is a baller...dude can drain the 3's

:elephant

mogrovejo
04-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Of course you didn't watch the games, that's why you are as uneducated as Noob Cake

What? What's a noob cake? And I watched plenty of games.

djohn2oo8
04-21-2010, 05:59 PM
What? What's a noob cake? And I watched plenty of games.

:lol He's a Yaofan who posts as a Rocket's fan...anyway, Brooks is more than a scorer. His speed allows for him to drive into the lane, and dish it out to others, which he has improved on averaging 5.8 assists a game, and he is still learning. He has also improved on late game situations with clutch shots, so it is not all about scoring.

mogrovejo
04-21-2010, 06:51 PM
:lol He's a Yaofan who posts as a Rocket's fan...anyway, Brooks is more than a scorer. His speed allows for him to drive into the lane, and dish it out to others, which he has improved on averaging 5.8 assists a game, and he is still learning. He has also improved on late game situations with clutch shots, so it is not all about scoring.

I didn't say that Brooks is only a scorer. I mean, Hedo and Diaw are far from being scoring only players and I used them to make my point.

I think Brooks improved. It's not some outrageous pick, I'd just take a few other guys ahead of him easily. I don't feel he's really that better and his production increased because his role was much more prominent, but he's improved enough to merit consideration. But that's beyond my point which was that he won the award because of the ppg increase. Even if he deserved to win, that was what motivated the voters to vote for him.

noob cake
04-21-2010, 07:12 PM
....trade value boost. Awesome for Rockets

Tmac&Luther
04-21-2010, 08:25 PM

If only if your idiocy wasn't so apparent, then maybe by some miracle you'd be able to boost your value so we could ship your ass out of here.

Damn Butt Cake, stop showing your ass so we can atleast deal you for new foot brace for Yao when he goes down and a package of honey buns.

Scratch that, the honey buns are wishful thinking and Yao better stay healthy cause at the minute, I can only get a bloody ace bandage.

Kai
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
http://theescapepod.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/borat-high-five.jpg

Also

Maybe this... :grim:

cobbler
04-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Well deserved! Kudos to Brooks. *tip of the hat* :toast

Pelicans78
04-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I kinda Brooks, not as much as last year, but when I invaded the Toyota Center for the season finale, he got dominated by Collison. He had no answer for him whatsoever.