PDA

View Full Version : "That's old news," Cuban said

nbaman99
04-21-2010, 05:18 PM
DALLAS -- Over the past six postseasons, the Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns, Miami Heat, Golden State Warriors, New Orleans Hornets and Denver Nuggets have sent the Dallas Mavericks home for the summer.

The San Antonio Spurs? Please. That was so early 2000s. Once upon a time, the Mavs used to refer to the Spurs as their big brothers because of the South Texas arm-twisting, and owner Mark Cuban even instructed president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson to construct a roster specifically to take down the mighty Spurs.

More on the Mavs

News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and the rest of our team. Blog.

"That's old news," Cuban said. "That's not a knock on the Spurs, but there's eight or nine teams [in the West that are contenders] so you can't construct a roster just to play one team. You just have to put together the best team you can."

Both Cuban and Dirk Nowitzki -- the hero of Game 1 with 36 points in this fifth Mavs-Spurs playoff installment of the Nowitzki-Tim Duncan era -- consider this Dallas team, freshly reinforced with Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood, to be the best of the bunch. Better even than the 2006 team that ended, in seven games, the Spurs' stranglehold over the Mavs franchise and launched Dallas to its first NBA Finals appearance.

OK, so everyone knows how that ended (see Miami), and that the Spurs returned to the NBA Finals in 2007 to claim their fourth championship in the Duncan era, further chafing the hard-working folks in the Mavs' front office and keeping the brain-trust wheels perpetually turning.

"We've never sipped from the cup before," Nelson said. "We have not done that, and so if that doesn't motivate you, you're in the wrong business."

Part of the "Beat San Antonio" plan of the past included trading for center Erick Dampier in 2004 and signing 7-footer DeSagana Diop in 2005 for a two-on-one approach to defending Duncan. In Game 1 on Sunday, Dallas got a 15-point, 18-rebound performance from its current center tandem of Dampier and Haywood. The Mavs have won their past two playoff series against San Antonio, and going back to their first-round victory last season, they've won five of their past six playoff games against the Spurs.

Butler came through with 22 points in Game 1, the kind of performance the Spurs surely envisioned from Richard Jefferson, their big offseason acquisition attempt to keep up in the West. Jefferson scored four points in 32 minutes as his season-long disappearance continued.

Each time Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is asked about the Mavs' trade that has worked out so favorably, he shrugs, and says, "I thought it was a good trade … and it's worked out to be true."

While Butler made the most of his Mavs playoff debut, Jefferson had the unenviable task of guarding Nowitzki on the baseline and helplessly watching as the 7-footer arched a step-back jumper over Jefferson's outstretched arm and swished it for a crushing 93-84 lead to seal the all-important home opener.

"That was definitely a big win for us," Nowitzki said. "But really, that win means nothing if we lose on Wednesday. So we have to come out with the same focus."

After the Mavs finished their second day of practice before Wednesday's Game 2, Cuban focused on reminding everyone just how delightfully acrimonious this rivalry remains.

"I hate the Spurs," Cuban said, smiling.

Cuban, also known for his sideline scowl in bad times, will smile even wider if his Mavs put their big brothers in a 2-0 headlock going to San Antonio. The No. 7-seed Spurs have issues to solve, like reducing sloppy turnovers and minimizing fouls that put the NBA's best free throw shooting team on the line 34 times.

And they will wait to see if second-year guard George Hill is physically capable of being a factor in the series. He tried to play in Game 1 with a sprained right ankle, but Popovich kept him on the bench for most of the second half after a scoreless first half. Without steady scoring from Jefferson or the marginalized Roger Mason Jr., the Spurs figure to be in trouble.

All that is moot, though, if the Spurs can't figure out how to deal with their oldest nemesis. Nowitzki, the lone Mavs player who was there in 2001 and 2003 when this great postseason rivalry grew legs, has repeatedly torched them in postseason meetings ever since.

"You know the way they play and the way they grind things out over the years; they're going to keep coming," Nowitzki said. "It's going to be a tough, long, grind-it-out series, and we've got to be ready for it."

nbaman99
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=5120405

sefant77
04-21-2010, 05:32 PM
After the Mavs finished their second day of practice before Wednesday's Game 2, Cuban focused on reminding everyone just how delightfully acrimonious this rivalry remains.

"I hate the Spurs," Cuban said, smiling.The really embarassing thing was Spurs media ripping it out of this context and throwing it to Duncan as a single statement.

jestersmash
04-21-2010, 05:46 PM
The really embarassing thing was Spurs media ripping it out of this context and throwing it to Duncan as a single statement.

I agree, the spurs media interviewers are absolute morons most of the time. Not only do they pull garbage like this, but very often they ask the spurs players questions that end up psyching the players out, or shaking their confidence.

They're completely oblivious to it also which is the sad part.

#2!
04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
The really embarassing thing was Spurs media ripping it out of this context and throwing it to Duncan as a single statement.

Yeah I've heard reporters (can't say they were from one city or another, so I'll assume it's a nonpartisan effort) asking a lot of stupid questions recently in an attempt to drum up the rivalry.

weebo
04-21-2010, 05:48 PM

You honestly think Timmy gives a shit?

DPG21920
04-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Guy, do you really feel the need to come onto a Spurs message board and just defend everything said about the Mavs?

elbamba
04-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Spurs have 4 championships and the Mavs have none. Of course they hate that. The Mavs have been trying to keep pace for the entire decade. It didn't happen, they never got what really mattered, an nba championship. For them to say they didn't build their team to beat the Spurs is absurd. just like the Spurs built themselves to beat LA after 2000-2002, the Mavs have built themselves to beat the Spurs. That is why they continue to lose to teams that the Spurs stomp.

jestersmash
04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Here's what pisses me off. Let's take ginobili, for example. He was playing pretty bad for the first half of the season, but he had glimmers of hope. He'd have an all star caliber game here and there.

What do the spurs reporters ask him? "So, you've been playing terribly in the past but you had a great game now. Does this mean that your confidence has returned? Can we assume that you'll be playing this great from here on out"

It's like seriously, shut the fuck up you god damned chodes. If they would have stopped making such a big deal about it and psyching Ginobili out every time he had an outlier "good" game, I sincerely think Ginobili might have come back to speed much sooner.

Things like this irritate me to no end.

jestersmash
04-21-2010, 05:53 PM
When you're playing terribly but finally have a "good game," the last thing you want to hear is dumb ass reporters reminding you that you've...been playing terribly, and finally had a good game.

Actually scratch that, that's the second to last thing you want to hear. The last thing you want to hear is that reporters, fans, everybody is essentially scrutinizing you even more to see if you "flipped the switch." But, by implicitly bringing this up (with their fucking retarded questions), they're just hurting his chances even more because they are putting unnecessary pressure on him.

Why psyche players out? Just shut the fuck up. Sometimes I wonder if the spurs reporters actually care about the spurs winning at all, or if they just want to drum up some drama.

sefant77
04-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Guy, do you really feel the need to come onto a Spurs message board and just defend everything said about the Mavs?

Actually i like to discuss games and series with opponents.

And yes, i like to defend when i read here that Marion is worse than RJ or cant defend or Cuban "hating" (for real) the Spurs etc.

I though its a discussion board :rolleyes

Spurs have 4 championships and the Mavs have none. Of course they hate that.

Its not hate, its respect in the Mavs organization. Its probably hate with most of the Mavs fans...

elbamba
04-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Its not hate, its respect in the Mavs organization. Its probably hate with most of the Mavs fans...

I would say a bitter respect. But I think you are right.

nbaman99
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
All we have to do is win tonights game and see how the tables turn on the Mavs.

tdunk21
04-21-2010, 06:55 PM
cuban is an idiot...dude sucks...

carina_gino20
04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Timmy has a major in Psychology. He'll be fine.