PDA

View Full Version : Khorkina says "judges robbed me" in all around.

E20
08-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/gymnastics/08/22/bc.olympics.gymnastics.khorkina/index.html)

Khorkina Crys Foul.

MOSCOW (Reuters) -- Russia's Svetlana Khorkina, who was second to American Carly Patterson in the women's all-round gymnastics competition, has accused the judges of robbing her of the gold medal and said "everything was decided in advance."

"I'm just furious," Khorkina, who had been favorite for the coveted title, was quoted as saying in the daily Izvestia. "I knew well in advance, even before I stepped on the stage for my first event, that I was going to lose."

"Everything was decided in advance. I had no illusions about this when the judges gave me 9.462 for the vault after conferring with one another at length.

"I practically did everything right, still they just set me up and fleeced me," she said in the interview published on Saturday.

Asked why she felt she was marked down by the judges, Khorkina said: "You better ask them. I think it's because I'm from Russia, not from America!"

When Khorkina won her silver medal on Thursday, she showed no outward signs of disappointment and said: "I think it's the best day of my life."

The Russian was also favorite for the all-round title four years ago in Sydney, where her hopes were dashed after she crashed to her knees from the vault. It was later discovered the horse had been set five centimeters too short.

She said she was hoping Sydney's experience would cause the judges to be more sympathetic to her plight in Athens -- her third and last Olympics.

Khorkina did not think Patterson was a deserving winner.

Asked if the American was a worthy opponent, she said: "I've seen a much tougher opposition than her. Let's see how long she can remain on top. Can she keep going and compete in two more Olympics like myself."

"No, well, you better write that Patterson is a great champion and she has a great future," she added sarcastically.

Khorkina confirmed that Athens were her last Olympics but she wants to remain in the sport.

"I'd like to work for the International Gymnastics Federation. These competitions have shown the sport needs a lot of changes," she said. "It should be judged primarily on grace, elegance and beauty rather than simply on mechanical tumbling."

On Sunday the Russian will compete in her last event -- the uneven bars, where she is hoping to become the first gymnast in history to win three consecutive Olympic titles on the same apparatus.

Guru of Nothing
08-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Khorkina is upset because she is missing out on her expected payday. Maybe I'm in the monority here, but I think she can make lot's of money off of her ability to choke.

blackbucket
08-24-2004, 12:22 AM
sour grapes bitch

iminlakerland
08-24-2004, 12:55 AM
I've never liked this female. She choked once again on the Parrallel bars last night. I enjoyed seeing her fail. She has a big mouth and thinks shes the shit.

Good Riddance!

scott
08-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Maybe I'm in the monority here, but I think she can make lot's of money off of her ability to choke.

Rimshot with added bonus points for the (perhaps unintentional) "monority."

Guru of Nothing
08-24-2004, 01:47 AM
Rimshot with added bonus points for the (perhaps unintentional) "monority."

Dog gonnit (God Dammit for you hipsters), I pride myself on such wordplay, but that was a beautiful typo. It's as if God said, "this one's on me."

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-24-2004, 09:29 AM
"It should be judged primarily on grace, elegance and beauty rather than simply on mechanical tumbling."

:lol

its called gymnastics not ballet...jeeez...what a sore loser...

SAmikeyp
08-24-2004, 11:57 AM
by looking at her, the only thing I can see that she has been robbed of is a decent meal.

Joe Chalupa
08-24-2004, 12:39 PM
No doubt, she needs to pack on some major lbs.

exstatic
08-24-2004, 12:53 PM
I was SO happy to see this whiney bitch fall off of the uneven parallel bars. The huge irony was that she fell while doing a "Khorkina", a move named after her that every other competitor that night, including the Americans :wink , managed to pull off.

http://www.artthrob.co.za/01july/images/grapes01a.jpg

E20
08-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Read the article using a russian accent.