Kori Ellis
05-06-2005, 06:43 PM
My notes are in red.

Feud adds to Sonics-Spurs intrigue
Allen's greatness to be tested by Bowen's grateness in Round 2

By DANNY O'NEIL
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/223205_bowen06.html

They seem like they should be friends, two of the most approachable players in any NBA locker room.

Ray Allen won the league's sportsmanship award two years ago, and Bruce Bowen recently completed his master's degree in public relations. Nice props for Bruce, but he just finished his Bachelor's.

They even share the same agent, Lon Babby, and there was a time when Allen and Bowen hung out together.

"Bruce used to be a good friend of mine," Allen said. "Used to be."

Where there once was friendship, now there is friction that's bound to flare up when the Sonics and Spurs play in the Western Conference semifinals, a best-of-seven series that begins Sunday.

It's a duel between one of the league's best perimeter defenders and one of its top scorers. Bowen is known to keep a padlock on his shoe, a not-so-subtle hint about his ability to lock down an opponent; Allen's 32.4-point scoring average was the highest total in the first round of the playoffs.

Only this professional rivalry has a personal element. In February 2004, Allen said he was so frustrated with Bowen after Seattle's loss to San Antonio, "I was at the point I wanted to fight him."

Thirteen months later, the anger was distilled just as clearly.

"He's out there playing some other sport," Allen said after the Sonics lost in San Antonio on March 30. "I don't know what you call it."

Countered Bowen, "I don't really know what to say to that."

Yes, he did.

"I've never heard the great ones say anything like that," Bowen said. "You never heard Michael Jordan say, 'Oh John Starks doesn't play basketball.' John Starks may have been physical with M.J. ... What did he do? He went and hit the gym hard and continued to play."

Touché.

:lmao

Forget taking a step back. Let's break out a microscope to scrutinize what might be the series' most important matchup.

Next week, Bowen is sure to be chosen to the league's All-Defensive team for a fifth consecutive season. Allen is a five-time All-Star. It's a salt-of-the-earth defender against a cream-of-the-crop scorer.

You could say it's like pairing oil against water, only Bowen and Allen don't have a problem mixing together. They're too busy mixing it up.

"He does the things that make you want to fight him," Allen said.

Bowen is constantly active. He compensates for relatively slow feet with quick hands and a competitive spirit. Bowen has slow feet? That's new. Bowen's quick feet are what make his D what it is.

They've played each other seven times since Allen came to Seattle. There have been four technical fouls between the two, plenty of raw feelings that started with a game on April 11, 2003, less than two months after Allen arrived in Seattle.

Bowen was ejected in the third quarter, assessed two technical fouls in the span of 27 seconds. The first came after he fouled Allen hard. The two went nose to nose, resulting in a technical foul.

"When I got here, it was like he was put out on the floor to harass me, to keep me from scoring and doing whatever they were going to do," Allen said.

Bowen was ejected 27 seconds later, assessed a second technical foul for cocking his right elbow at Brent Barry. Allen scored 21 of his 32 points after Bowen's ejection but the Sonics lost by eight.

But it was a game the following season -- Feb. 5, 2004, in Seattle -- when Allen's feelings came to a boil.

Allen had missed nine of 12 shots in the first half. In the third quarter, Allen and Bowen were assessed technical fouls after Bowen walked off the court, bumping into Allen, who responded with a shove. Allen scored 16 of his 23 points in the second half, the Sonics lost by six and Allen stayed steamed.

"I understand the persona on the court, he never likes anybody," Allen said after the game. "But what he does is sissy basketball, the way he cheap-shots."

Bowen said he gets satisfaction out of winning, not out of seeing someone antagonized by his defense.

"If I made it personal it would be that way," Bowen said on March 30. "But it's not a personal thing. I respect Ray a great deal. That's why I prepare for him the way I do because he's a very good player."

Allen scored 14 points in Seattle's loss in San Antonio on March 30, his lowest scoring game after the All-Star break. Allen resurrected his objections to Bowen's tactics afterward.

"I usually just swallow it when we win," Allen said. That's what he should be doing now instead of talking trash.

Bowen plays defense tight enough to be in an opponent's face. He plays a constantly nettlesome style that gets in their head. He's gotten under Allen's skin to the point that he's almost leaving a rash.

"People are going to feel the way they feel about me, regardless," Bowen said. "But on the court it's more important that I respect him more than anything else. Because if I don't respect him, he's going to light me up that night."

timvp
05-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Bowen is slow?

Nice.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
05-06-2005, 06:59 PM
I wonder what B-dog is thinking? I'm sure he'd like to see Allen have a physical series as well.

milkyway21
05-06-2005, 07:54 PM
:wtf

Allen clearly has become a :blah :blah :blah trash talker.A thing ONLY women shld do. Pity, he doesn't deserve the Sportsmanship Award he won yrs. ago.

Keep your mouth shut, Allen. And play real ball.

BASKETBALL IS PLAYED W/ HANDS & FEET NOT W/ BULL....:blah.

adrock337
05-06-2005, 07:56 PM
I can't stand to hear Ray allen B#####, whine and moan about someone putting a real stop on him... jeez... shut up ray.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-06-2005, 08:08 PM
I don't think that the Seattle press and Ray Allen could come up with more for the Spurs (and mainly Bowen's) bulletin board if we paid them.

Thanks Ray "Karl" Allen, your whining is given Bruce all the fuel he needs.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-06-2005, 08:12 PM
"I usually just swallow it when we win," Allen said.

Ohhh, so many things to say, so little time... :lol

milkyway21
05-06-2005, 08:20 PM
i saw the replay of game 5 last night. While Bowen was on the the bench he seems like frustrated or sad. He wasn't talking to his teammates, like he sat there alone. that was in the 4th. did I miss something? did Pops punish him on something he has done on the floor? maybe his defense on Anthony?

Bowen could be our most valuable player in the next series-bec. he can stop Allen. i hope he gets some credit on playing his best out there. We all talked of how good Manu is, TP, Horry, Duncan. Let's also say Hurrahh! to Bowen.

Tek_XX
05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Well Big Dog was hot at the moment and Anthony wasn't scoring so he kept him on court a little longer, but yeah you're right Bowen didn't look to happy

td4mvp21
05-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Now James is sayin Duncan is a wimp. WTH is wrong with these ppl? Duncan is gonna own James. You can add him to the 100-name list Duncan has on his locker.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2005, 10:08 PM
i saw the replay of game 5 last night. While Bowen was on the the bench he seems like frustrated or sad. He wasn't talking to his teammates, like he sat there alone. that was in the 4th. did I miss something? did Pops punish him on something he has done on the floor? maybe his defense on Anthony?

Bowen got mad at himself for one play that he messed up on D. Pop yelled at Bowen for that same play in timeout. PJ Carlesimo then told Pop to back off Bowen. Pop did. End of story.

Bowen wasn't punished or anything, he was just frustrated with himself because he messed up. He prefers no one ever scores a point on him. :lol

SouthernFried
05-06-2005, 10:10 PM
"It was like, he was put there to harass me, to keep me from scoring."

Allen is like, a genius dood. Like, he saw right through Bowen and the Spurs. Man, that is sooo like Einsten man!

Watch Bowen on D, when Allen doesn't have the ball. Bowen is in his jersey the whole time.

It's like...beautiful man. :fro

Kori Ellis
05-06-2005, 10:14 PM
"It was like, he was put there to harass me, to keep me from scoring."

Allen is like, a genius dood. Like, he saw right through Bowen and the Spurs. Man, that is sooo like Einsten man!

:lmao That's what I thought too when I read the quote. :wtf had he never seen defense before -- he sounded amazed at the concept.

T Park
05-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Allen doesn't like to be defended.

Everyone says the Spurs are soft, why I dont know, but it sounds to me like Ray Allen is soft.