PDA

View Full Version : Pop's Genius...

xellos88330
04-22-2010, 12:41 AM
There was one subtle difference between game 1 and game 2. I honestly didn't see it coming either.

Tim Duncan, not McDyess was setting a majority of the screens on the PnR. This pulled Damp/Haywood out and left Dirk alone to protect the rim. Set the screen opposite side of the point and drive the ball straight towards Dirk.

Small adjustment... big results.

Kudos Pop. Well played sir.

I am going to have to buy some Rock and Hammer sometime. :toast

The Cougar
04-22-2010, 12:44 AM
lol genuis

DontStopBelieving
04-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Mastermind.

EricB
04-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Great pickup.

MaNu4Tres
04-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Best Game by Pop since the NO series in 08'.

Keep it up Pop

DesignatedT
04-22-2010, 12:50 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/34y3gcn.jpg

Avitus1
04-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Brilliant.

Marcus Bryant
04-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Exposing Dirk defensively is a nice turn of events.

xellos88330
04-22-2010, 12:57 AM
I really do think that this is a nightmare situation for Dallas.

The Mavs simply cannot stop all the penetration by the Spur guards. With their size/physical presence eliminated from the paint, the paint is prime real estate with Dirk trying to defend it.

I do not know how Carlisle can solve this outside of telling his team to trap it and tell his team to play better defense. If they trap it, it will free up RJ to do his thing.

Something else came of this one adjustment for the Spurs. It allowed McDyess to really affect the offensive glass with Nowitzki stuck in no man's land.

ShoogarBear
04-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Wasn't a PnR, but that drive by RJ that had Dirk flatfooted and turned around was hilarious.

xellos88330
04-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Wasn't a PnR, but that drive by RJ that had Dirk flatfooted and turned around was hilarious.

That was funny but it wasn't exclusively with RJ. It was all over the place. Manu, TP had plenty of that action.

Manufan909
04-22-2010, 01:01 AM

The Mavs simply cannot stop all the penetration by the Spur guards. With their size/physical presence eliminated from the paint, the paint is prime real estate with Dirk trying to defend it.

I do not know how Carlisle can solve this outside of telling his team to trap it and tell his team to play better defense. If they trap it, it will free up RJ to do his thing.

Something else came of this one adjustment for the Spurs. It allowed McDyess to really affect the offensive glass with Nowitzki stuck in no man's land.

I didn't know how until you spelled it out, but I did notice getting O boards up the ass, usually with Dirk right there.

HarlemHeat37
04-22-2010, 01:01 AM
The adjustment against Kidd was my favorite adjustment..

After game 1, I commented on how poor the D vs. Kidd was..they were overplaying him on the p&r, missing rotations on his 3s and they were scared of his driving ability..

Tonight, Kidd was forced to be a scorer..Kidd CANNOT finish inside..he never even wants to try most of the time..don't give him the option to pass, it's really a huge part of their offense IMO..he took a bunch of shots early in the game, something he rarely does and something he doesn't want to do..

NewJerSpur
04-22-2010, 01:02 AM

:toast

It's all in the "playoff haircut" with Pop, lol. Good observation.

Sisk
04-22-2010, 01:06 AM
<< Popologist

Doe
04-22-2010, 01:08 AM

After game 1, I commented on how poor the D vs. Kidd was..they were overplaying him on the p&r, missing rotations on his 3s and they were scared of his driving ability..

Tonight, Kidd was forced to be a scorer..Kidd CANNOT finish inside..he never even wants to try most of the time..don't give him the option to pass, it's really a huge part of their offense IMO..he took a bunch of shots early in the game, something he rarely does and something he doesn't want to do..

Very true I love how they played Kidd in the first half. The one or two times he tried to make something happen in the paint resulted in a miss for them off a horrible looking attempt.

BTW it's great to be able to see a thread like this after the season the Spurs just had. Pop looked like he had lost his damn mind throughout the year but he came through big time.

BillMc
04-22-2010, 01:17 AM
There was one subtle difference between game 1 and game 2. I honestly didn't see it coming either.

Tim Duncan, not McDyess was setting a majority of the screens on the PnR. This pulled Damp/Haywood out and left Dirk alone to protect the rim. Set the screen opposite side of the point and drive the ball straight towards Dirk.

Small adjustment... big results.

Kudos Pop. Well played sir.

I am going to have to buy some Rock and Hammer sometime. :toast

Very well spotted! :toast:toast:toast:toast

BillMc
04-22-2010, 01:18 AM
i really do think that this is a nightmare situation for dallas.

The mavs simply cannot stop all the penetration by the spur guards. With their size/physical presence eliminated from the paint, the paint is prime real estate with dirk trying to defend it.

I do not know how carlisle can solve this outside of telling his team to trap it and tell his team to play better defense. If they trap it, it will free up rj to do his thing.

Something else came of this one adjustment for the spurs. It allowed mcdyess to really affect the offensive glass with nowitzki stuck in no man's land.

+1

xellos88330
04-22-2010, 01:18 AM

That is very true too. The rotations were spot on if the ball was kicked back to Kidd. Maybe Kidd fell in love with the arc too much.

MaNu4Tres
04-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Jefferson most specifically had GREAT close outs on Kidd in his rotations...

I thought Jefferson and McDyess' intangibles were huge tonight

crc21209
04-22-2010, 01:23 AM
For the most part, the rotations on D were pretty damn crisp...it was a sight to see. :tu

xellos88330
04-22-2010, 01:33 AM
For the most part, the rotations on D were pretty damn crisp...it was a sight to see. :tu

Hell yeah it was! Spurs basketball was out in full force tonight! :toast

TDMVPDPOY
04-22-2010, 01:41 AM
a win is a win, lets see him back that up on home court

Mr.Robinson
04-22-2010, 02:42 AM

Parker and Hill missed a couple of rotations. Hill is playing soft on D.

silverblackfan
04-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Great find and analysis. I am ashamed to say I noticed them playing a lot better and missed the reason why.

Muser
04-22-2010, 07:52 AM
I can't watch the games anymore (Fuck am I paying £52 after I already payed nearly double that already). But if that's true then great move by Pop, just gotta keep it up.

jermaine
04-22-2010, 08:24 AM

It reminds me of that Jordan dunk on the Knicks! But RJ went up like a hoe. That nigga shouldve teabagged the rim! LMAO. That play wouldve been seen time & time again when it comes to the Mavs & Spurs!

Seventyniner
04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Jefferson most specifically had GREAT close outs on Kidd in his rotations...

I thought Jefferson and McDyess' intangibles were huge tonight

+1

The Spurs ran Kidd and especially Butler off the 3 point line many times; in game 1, they would've taken those shots.

Manufan909
04-22-2010, 08:50 AM
It reminds me of that Jordan dunk on the Knicks! But RJ went up like a hoe. That nigga shouldve teabagged the rim! LMAO. That play wouldve been seen time & time again when it comes to the Mavs & Spurs!

There were a couple times where a dunk would have made RJ look cooler, or allow him to make the shot. Specifically in the 2nd half, two of his attempted layups seemed dunkable, but he didn't and missed (imo he was fouled at least once, but maybe RJ screaming tricked me into seeing what I wanted to).:lol

jermaine
04-22-2010, 08:57 AM
There were a couple times where a dunk would have made RJ look cooler, or allow him to make the shot. Specifically in the 2nd half, two of his attempted layups seemed dunkable, but he didn't and missed (imo he was fouled at least once, but maybe RJ screaming tricked me into seeing what I wanted to).:lol

Idk if its just me but it seems when they clsed out on Jefferson he runs into traffic vs going to the open outside or when they're packed along the baseline. He tries to go there instead in the lane! Is anyone else seeing that?

jdev82
04-22-2010, 09:09 AM
how smart was pop resting tim all year long. and you assholes doubted him. i believe it was stevie wonder who sang: "playin just enough juust enouuuugh for the playoffffs"

Slomo
04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Sorry xellos88330 but I had to correct the thread title.

It was driving me crazy :lol

Good points btw :tu

xellos88330
04-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Sorry xellos88330 but I had to correct the thread title.

It was driving me crazy :lol

Good points btw :tu

:lmao

no prob :toast

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Spurstalk presents...real men of genius.

Reeeeeealll men of geeeeeniuuuusss....

Today we salute you, Mr. Coach Giving Minutes to Players Who Don't Suck.

Mr. Coach Giving Minutes to Players Who Dooooon't Suck!

Some call them "Money" or "The Centerpiece", but you call a spade a spade. And then use that spade to bury them on the end of the bench.

It's kind of like a shovel!

Bad ankle? So what? You recognize who could be outplayed by a kid with lots of heart...or a man with no arms...or someone who is legally dead.

Don't poke the zombie!

Your sound judgment saved a win for the good guys, and saved the rest of us from yet another damn Fabbs thread.

Ess Tee Effffffff YOOOOOOOOOO!

So enjoy your thread Dr. DNP-CD. You make sure that terrible players always have the best seat in the house.

Mr. Coach Giving Minutes to Players Who Don't Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Spurologist
04-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Some call them "Money" or "The Centerpiece", but you call a spade a spade. And then use that spade to bury them on the end of the bench.

Bad ankle? So what? You recognize who could be outplayed by a kid with lots of heart...or a man with no arms...or someone who is legally dead.

Don't poke the zombie!

Your sound judgment saved a win for the good guys, and saved the rest of us from yet another damn Fabbs thread.

So enjoy your thread Dr. DNP-CD. You make sure that terrible players always have the best seat in the house.

That needs to be made into a commercial ASAP

gospursgojas
04-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Don't poke the zombie!

nkdlunch
04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Kidd only shoots 3s when he is wide open. Put a hand up everytime and his 3pt shot is neutralized.

xellos88330
04-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Don't poke the zombie!

Spurs Brazil
04-22-2010, 03:28 PM

Great post Harlem. Limiting Kidd was key to the win.

polandprzem
04-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Idk if its just me but it seems when they clsed out on Jefferson he runs into traffic vs going to the open outside or when they're packed along the baseline. He tries to go there instead in the lane! Is anyone else seeing that?

Yea I always have wtf on my face when he does that.
I don't know if he reads the defense bad or what ?

EMS33
04-22-2010, 04:38 PM
I was saying all over the forums. After last game the interviews gave a hint that the spurs KNEW that they could not only play better but that they figured something out. As in let Jason Kidd try to beat us with his offense and do not let him drive and pass. Let Dirk get his by the way we guarded him, let him take those fade away jumpers faced up, he WONT consistently hit those. Also Caron Butler is a threat now and we know it, but he gets flustered when we double.

Great post, POP was a genius. Taking the big men out on the pnr and let dirk defend the paint was a great idea. Make Dirk work on D. He is also not a great rebounder. Is there any way the Mavs can counter that? If so I would like to hear suggestions....

MateoNeygro
04-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Lol awesome post. Gotta love real men of genius.

xellos88330
04-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Is there any way the Mavs can counter that? If so I would like to hear suggestions....

I am not a Mavs fan so my familiarity with them is limited. The only thing that I can see as a counter to this would be in the Dallas offensive side. Don't miss and get to the line. That is all I can think of after pondering for some time. I was even writing stuff on napkins lol.

m33p0
04-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Great post, POP was a genius. Taking the big men out on the pnr and let dirk defend the paint was a great idea. Make Dirk work on D. He is also not a great rebounder. Is there any way the Mavs can counter that? If so I would like to hear suggestions....
1. put dirk on duncan -> not gonna happen unless they commit to double teaming timmy. or,
2. put dirk on jefferson -> but he'd be forced to defend a quicker player. he's still looking for his shoelaces. or,
3. bring a third guy in the lane, possibly butler, when a p&r develops. they might instruct whoever plays duncan to go underneath the pick which would leave an open jumper.

~Sweetmelody~
04-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Don't poke the zombie!

:lol That was great!

Tito_Trinidad
04-22-2010, 06:56 PM
No small ball and short minutes for Mason and no time for Bogans = success

RobinsontoDuncan
04-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Last night was the first time I felt like I was watching real Spurs basketball since the first round in 2008 against the Suns.