PDA

View Full Version : George Hill's defense...or lack there of...

fraga
04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
What was with this guy last night...he was getting left in the dust by Terry...either looked like he forgot where he was or was supposed to be a number of times...left countless people open for 3's...I mean come on...you're young...you got one good ankle...get your head out of your ass and pay attention...

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-22-2010, 09:09 AM
I thought he played a great 1st half on D but he wasn't looking for his offense enough, then the 2nd half he picked up his offense and started making some poor rotations, but the effort was still there. He was giving the Mavs backcourt fits with his length and his energy in the passing lanes helped spur that big run to start the game

TimmehC
04-22-2010, 09:09 AM
What was with this guy last night...he was getting left in the dust by Terry...either looked like he forgot where he was or was supposed to be a number of times...left countless people open for 3's...I mean come on...you're young...you got one good ankle...get your head out of your ass and pay attention...

He's obviously not 100% yet. Ankle problems can do terrible things to your lateral quickness. :(

elbamba
04-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Hopefully his shot continues to return after the 4th quarter and he has enough time to heal some more.

z0sa
04-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I thought his D was great at some points, then suddenly lacking others.

Spursmania
04-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I definitely think his ankle is preventing him from being the super quick George we are accustomed to. His lateral quickness is not the same.

We should all hope to see a better performance on Friday!

coyotes_geek
04-22-2010, 09:30 AM
I didn't have a problem with Hill's D. Besides, we have to remember that a large part of what Dallas does offensively involves creating situations where whoever is defending Terry has to choose between sticking with him or helping on Dirk. It's just unavoidable that Hill is going to end up getting caught in no man's land on occasion. As long as Hill can stick with Terry when he's guarding him 1 on 1 and commits quickly to the double team when he's asked to do that I'm not going to hold it against Hill if the decision to double Dirk results in a wide open 3 for Terry. Not that I like it, but you've got to pick your poison.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
He looked alot better in the 1st half defensively than the 2nd half to me.

If he had not hit those clutch shots in the 2nd half, it would have been an overall horrible 2nd half for him.
But

still beats playing Mason and Bogans.

SpurCharger
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Hill Played Average.... Remember Having a Bad Ankle Hinders Your lateral Quickness, that Can Effect Your Defense and Offense.... He will get better later in the series when his ankle starts to feel Better..... But He did hit Some Big shots in the 4th quarter for us..... And he was still Better Then Mason By 100%..

fraga
04-22-2010, 09:44 AM
So after seeing obvious signs of his lack of mobility in the 2nd half...would you have pulled him and put in Temple...

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-22-2010, 09:46 AM
This.

Of the three options Hill on a peg leg is the only one that's playing with any confidence right now and hopefully last night was a sign that Pop's finally got none in them either.

SpurCharger
04-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Im not sure If pop Trust Temple That Much to play him..... I would rather see Temple then Mason, But I doubt Pop will Make that Move.

SpursRulez4eVeR
04-22-2010, 10:05 AM
i will take whatever hill gives us on D as long as mason/bogans play no more than 5

dastrey
04-22-2010, 10:07 AM
He needs to force Terry to drive the ball instead of letting him pull up for a jump shot going to his right.

jjktkk
04-22-2010, 10:13 AM

Read your own post, and you will find the answers to your questions. 1. Hes young. Youth eqates to inexpierence, like missing rotations, etc.... 2. One ankle. WTF are you trying to imply with "one ankle"? I'sn't 2 ankles better than 1? Hill's ankle will improve with more time.

Dr Cox
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
hes injured...stupid thread....

fraga
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
hes injured...stupid thread....

You shut your dirty Maverick mouth...

DesignatedT
04-22-2010, 12:26 PM
His defense has been a little overrated all season but he does look a little slow moving around on that ankle. lets hope he continues to feel better. those 2 big shots he knocked down should help him throughout the series.

Fpoonsie
04-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Este.

cheguevara
04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Hill did fine for a "game time decision" game.

His one big mistake was leaving Dirk open for that late 3. Pop blew up after that play

SenorSpur
04-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Hill still looks a little gimpy to me too. It was especially noticable on his attempts to drive to the basket. He looked like a guy who was not confident and was concerned about where he landed. Still, he gave a good effort for the time he was in and he did hit a couple of timely shots down the stretch. With continued treatment, I trust his ankle will continue to get better.

Fpoonsie
04-22-2010, 03:07 PM
What's odd is that both 3s he failed to close out on (missed assignment, switch, WHATEVER) came IMMEDIATELY after his big 3 in the corner and his crowd-quieting jumper on the left of the FT line. It was as if after he finally got his shot goin, he forgot how to play D.

Anyways, he's still coming along. I'm much more pleased w/ his production this game than last.

MateoNeygro
04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Well all things considered he played well after coming off an ankle injury. If you've played basketball you know how hard it is to perform with a busted ankle. Anyway I love this kids passion, professionalism and will to win. We are lucky to have him no doubt.

BackHome
04-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Thought he played great in the first half and then went down hill a little bit which is probably due to his conditioning and state of ankle.

DPG21920
04-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I am still very worried about Hill. He does not look right at all.

raspsa
04-22-2010, 05:45 PM
I wasn't able to warth much of the game but I did see Manu's post-game video where he was effusive in his praise for Hill's defense on Jason Kidd.. basically, Kidd never did get on track and Manu credited Hill's defense.