PDA

View Full Version : I am so sick of Football

davethedope
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
I think football is okay for the 2 months, Oct. and Nov. we are supposed to give it our undivided attention, but making it year round, with Super Bowls, drafts, and the endless talk- I've had it.

It's not even close to being as great or as popular a sport as Basketball even though they would have us believe that with the unending hype.

It's gay. It has none of the artistry or skill of baseball and basketball. It's basically a bunch of 400lbs. men running around trying to hump each other on the field. One guy is sticking his hands up a fat guy's ass to grab the ball.

I don't care how many people watch it on tv once a week.

samikeyp
04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
In the US, its probably the most popular of the major sports. TV ratings prove that and the reason that there is this much hype attached to it is because the people that generate the hype know that there is a market for it. Globally, IMO, soccer and basketball are more popular.

z0sa
04-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't like it either. Soccer and Basketball are much more interesting, yet less contrived.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Interesting rant.

I'm not a big basketball fan any more. You know what I do? I don't pay attention to anything basketball related.

Sounds hard, doesn't it?

IronMexican
04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
The year round talk is the only thing to keep me sane from February till August.

LnGrrrR
04-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Football is interesting because it's the most like "war", as it were. Two coaches acting as generals, responding to different battles with plays. Of course, this happens in other sports, but it's much more fluid there. With each play in football, there's a set 'play' run, which I think people find interesting.

As well, football has more permutations in various categories than any other sport. Numerous ways to score + a numerous amount of players = great amounts of variety. I think that's another aspect that's enjoyed.

Plus... ya know, hitting.

Spurstro
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Of course, this happens in other sports, but it's much more fluid there.

A 3 1/2 hour football game has 11 minutes of actual game action.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...055561406.html (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html)

yes, much more fluid

04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
As much as I love football, nothing beats playoff hockey, especially live.

Drama, flow, emotion, attrition, controversy, etc.

It's too bad only a minority of people follow it in the States.

davethedope
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I know that it has great tv ratings but so what? There is a basketball hoop in every school yard and park. More people play basketball around the world. Football is fine but I don't want to be force fed every little bit of minutia that comes down the pipeline about every little 20 year old with dreadlocks who is supposed to come into the league and turn it on its head.

I mean, these draft picks- the majority of them are going to end up cut and useless. I don't want to hear about how some boring lineman is going to be picked in the first round. So what? That goes to show you how pathetic the sport really is, that the top drafts are the nameless, faceless, numbers that lineup any given Sunday. Talk about a league that lacks charisma.

Even if you try to show charisma as a football player you are mocked and ridiculed ala Tony Romo and T.O.

ATRAIN
04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I know that it has great tv ratings but so what? There is a basketball hoop in every school yard and park. More people play basketball around the world. Football is fine but I don't want to be force fed every little bit of minutia that comes down the pipeline about every little 20 year old with dreadlocks who is supposed to come into the league and turn it on its head.

I mean, these draft picks- the majority of them are going to end up cut and useless. I don't want to hear about how some boring lineman is going to be picked in the first round. So what? That goes to show you how pathetic the sport really is, that the top drafts are the nameless, faceless, numbers that lineup any given Sunday. Talk about a league that lacks charisma.

Even if you try to show charisma as a football player you are mocked and ridiculed ala Tony Romo and T.O.

Then dont watch it, its that simple. I hate Naascar and dont consider it a sport but rednecks love it. Im ok with that and they can have it. I dont watch it and I dont let it bother me.

tlongII
04-22-2010, 12:00 PM
College Football is the best sport in the world to be a fan of and it's not even close. Nothing beats Saturday game days. It's an all day event of tailgating, BBQ, cheerleaders, hotties, booze, chartered bus ride, marching bands, and passion. I love it!

IronMexican
04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
poop

Blake
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Then dont watch it, its that simple.

Eh, the OP is a dope. It's obviously not that simple for him.

Whisky Dog
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Obviously you don't know Jack shit about football. It's a more strategic game than both basketball and baseball. In the US, it's king. In Texas, you'll get fucked up for saying shit like that in person.

Blake
04-22-2010, 12:26 PM
College Football is the best sport in the world to be a fan of and it's not even close. Nothing beats Saturday game days. It's an all day event of tailgating, BBQ, cheerleaders, hotties, booze, chartered bus ride, marching bands, and passion. I love it!

:tu +1

not to mention the actual game itself is exciting to watch

tlongII
04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
:tu +1

not to mention the actual game itself is exciting to watch

:lol True dat.

davethedope
04-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Oh please, don't give me the strategy bs. If half the numb skulls that actually like football for whatever reason could understand one play the world would be a better place. It's not chess or rocket science. And don't make the players any smarter than any other sports athlete. All they know is get ball, run with ball, hump opposing player, pile on and hump. That's it.

All this talk about Tim T. and his potential to throw a football makes me sick. It's not open heart surgery. He's got the heart of a champion. If he doesn't succeed in the NFL it will not have anything to do his ability to throw a football.

Blake
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Oh please, don't give me the strategy bs. If half the numb skulls that actually like football for whatever reason could understand one play the world would be a better place. It's not chess or rocket science. And don't make the players any smarter than any other sports athlete. All they know is get ball, run with ball, hump opposing player, pile on and hump. That's it.

All this talk about Tim T. and his potential to throw a football makes me sick. It's not open heart surgery. He's got the heart of a champion. If he doesn't succeed in the NFL it will not have anything to do his ability to throw a football.

you're a dope.... what would you know.

Whisky Dog
04-22-2010, 12:39 PM

I played hs and college ball and have coached it on a couple of levels and I know for a fact you have no idea what you're talking about. Basketball is 5 guys running plays to put the ball in the hole or keep the other guy from doing it. Football is 11 guys at a time having to move and execute in unison to move the ball or stop the other guy. It's a detailed and brutal game that you just don't understand. Dope

04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
If he doesn't succeed in the NFL it will not have anything to do his ability to throw a football.

Actually, it's the exact opposite.

marini martini
04-22-2010, 12:50 PM
LoL @ Dave!!!:lmao

http://static.someecards.com.s3.amazonaws.com/usercards/cardimages/thumb/2073074.png
(http://www.spurstalk.com/usercards/viewcard/e71eaa8d5b72406dc57e6363ac31f88270)This year for Earth Day, do the earth a favor and shut the hell up. Trust me, it helps the planet more than you could know. (http://www.spurstalk.com/usercards/viewcard/e71eaa8d5b72406dc57e6363ac31f88270)
04/22/2009

davethedope
04-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I played hs and college ball and have coached it on a couple of levels and I know for a fact you have no idea what you're talking about. Basketball is 5 guys running plays to put the ball in the hole or keep the other guy from doing it. Football is 11 guys at a time having to move and execute in unison to move the ball or stop the other guy. It's a detailed and brutal game that you just don't understand. Dope

I understand it just fine. Do you know why Bo Jackson and Deon Sanders were so amazing- they were football players that actually had the skill to hit a 90mph baseball. That takes skill and concentration.

There is only one semi-skilled player on a football field. That's the QB. Everybody else is running and hugging- that's it. If the QB is good any dope can run and catch a ball. There's no finesse to the game. It is brutal. But think of the end of games- and the flip of a coin?!? Ties? It's absurd.

I got it out of my system now.

Blake
04-22-2010, 01:01 PM
If the QB is good any dope can run and catch a ball.

caeITRkDrtg

JudynTX
04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
LoL @ Dave!!!:lmao

http://static.someecards.com.s3.amazonaws.com/usercards/cardimages/thumb/2073074.png
(http://www.spurstalk.com/usercards/viewcard/e71eaa8d5b72406dc57e6363ac31f88270)This year for Earth Day, do the earth a favor and shut the hell up. Trust me, it helps the planet more than you could know. (http://www.spurstalk.com/usercards/viewcard/e71eaa8d5b72406dc57e6363ac31f88270)
04/22/2009

:toast at your sig. :lol

monosylab1k
04-22-2010, 01:17 PM
It has none of the artistry or skill of baseball and basketball. It's basically a bunch of 400lbs. men running around trying to hump each other on the field.

:lol yeah baseball is full of skilled athletes in great shape.

http://keitholbermannisevil.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/david-wells.jpg

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040108/040108_mo_vaughn_.widec.jpg

mookie2001
04-22-2010, 01:49 PM
To the OP, the draft isn't football

bigzak25
04-22-2010, 02:02 PM
dude, shutoff espn, turn off the talk radio, and go take your football hatin ass to the bball court. problem solved.

davethedope
04-22-2010, 02:11 PM

:lol yeah baseball is full of skilled athletes in great shape.

http://keitholbermannisevil.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/david-wells.jpg

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040108/040108_mo_vaughn_.widec.jpg

There are exceptions to every rule. However, Wells could pitch- skillfully. And Mo Vaughn, I believe that is- could hit- skillfully.

bostonguy
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I love how the NFL is set up. It doesn't take long to rebuild thanks to the current salary cap. Just last year the Saints were an average team that missed the playoffs. A year later they win the superbowl. The Giants won the superbowl and two years later they miss the playoffs. Any given Sunday tends to be the case with the NFL.

samikeyp
04-22-2010, 02:42 PM
This sounds like the OP is just some fat fuck who realizes the only thing he can play is baseball where he can sit on his fat ass in the dugout for half the game, and ocassionally huff and puff his way across the bases.

I don't know if that's true or not...then again, im a numb skull who likes football for whatever reason. ;)

Blake
04-22-2010, 02:59 PM
This sounds like the OP is just some fat fuck who realizes the only thing he can play is baseball where he can sit on his fat ass in the dugout for half the game, and ocassionally huff and puff his way across the bases.

or a troll that was reading the soccer thread and thought he would crack himself up by getting everyone riled up in a football hate thread

probably a bit of both

LnGrrrR
04-22-2010, 03:20 PM
A 3 1/2 hour football game has 11 minutes of actual game action.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...055561406.html (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html)

yes, much more fluid

See? That's why football works... viewers at home have time to discuss whether the play was dumb or brilliant, whether somebody is playing well, to give predictions for the next play, etc etc, without missing any of the action! :)

davethedope
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm none of those things- just a guy who likes the Spurs and when I woke up for my morning sports chatter to hear some talking head wax poetically about the great game last night the only thing I'm hearing about is about a bunch of 20 year old nobodies who are probably going to amount to shit in the NFL once they get leveled once.

LnGrrrR
04-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Thanks for proving yourself an idiot.

Blake
04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm none of those things- just a guy who likes the Spurs .....

Today, 03:21 PM #35
davethedope
Believe.

Team: New York Knicks
SpursTalk Cash: $800

whatever you say, troll.

bigzak25
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
so the spurs win the night before the draft and you expect all spurs commentary when it's just one game in the 1st round... :lol

760 had spurs talk on....tpark even called in...

if your talking about national radio, nobody gives a damn about the spurs on nfl draft day...

bigzak25
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
:smokin

davethedope
04-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Anyway, I know how hard it is for football fans to understand someone not giving a shit about football, but I'm sorry. The game is over intellectualized just to make idiots feel smart. There, I said it.

lefty
04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
As much as I love football, nothing beats playoff hockey, especially live.

Drama, flow, emotion, attrition, controversy, etc.

It's too bad only a minority of people follow it in the States.
Amen

During the regular season, I only watch Montreal Canadiens games

But during the playoffs, I'll watch any game

In fact, over the last 3 seasons, I've watched more NHL playoff games than NBA playoff games

phxspurfan
04-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Agree. I don't want to hear about Ben Rofleburger's offseason antics or where the hell Donovan McNabb is playing. He sucks and is Mr. Irrelevant anyway.

gatoloco
04-22-2010, 04:19 PM
The game is over intellectualized just to make idiots feel smart. There, I said it.

aren't they all. :lol

englishspursfan
04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
nothing compares to the world cup!

thispego
04-22-2010, 05:10 PM
you got it all wrong. BASEBALL is the game that TOTALLY sucks. it's basically a one man game. pitchers win or lose games. BOOOOOOOOOOOORRIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGGGG

lefty
04-23-2010, 08:28 AM
you got it all wrong. BASEBALL is the game that TOTALLY sucks. it's basically a one man game. pitchers win or lose games. BOOOOOOOOOOOORRIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGGGG
Baseball games are too damn long

They should set them to 5 regular innings instead of 9

And playoff baseball is better than regular season baseball

But Baseball are still too damn long

CubanMustGo
04-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Baseball, where the teams with money (e.g. Yankees) are allowed to dominate while the teams that don't suck year in and year out. Right.

And you want to talk about a sport where there's very little action compared to the actual length of the game, baseball is it. Pitcher on the mound - batter steps out of the box, looks at the 3rd base coach, spits out some chew, scratches his nuts, gets back in the box, pitcher looks at the catcher, gets a sign, waves it off, gets another sign, waves it off, batter gets tired of waiting and steps out of the box ... yeah, that's exciting.

resistanze
04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Baseball, where the teams with money (e.g. Yankees) are allowed to dominate while the teams that don't suck year in and year out. Right.

And you want to talk about a sport where there's very little action compared to the actual length of the game, baseball is it. Pitcher on the mound - batter steps out of the box, looks at the 3rd base coach, spits out some chew, scratches his nuts, gets back in the box, pitcher looks at the catcher, gets a sign, waves it off, gets another sign, waves it off, batter gets tired of waiting and steps out of the box ... yeah, that's exciting.

+1. Baseball is boring as shit. I can't believe I used to watch every regular season game until my teens.

LnGrrrR
04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Anyway, I know how hard it is for football fans to understand someone not giving a shit about football, but I'm sorry.

What you don't understand is that football fans don't give a shit about people who don't like football.

The game is over intellectualized just to make idiots feel smart. There, I said it.

No, you just can't understand football either.

LnGrrrR
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Baseball is mostly mental. I like the pace, but just cause that's a different game. I can go to a baseball game, talk with friends, kick back and relax. I don't feel the need to see every pitch.

With football, I want to watch every play, so it gives me a different mindset.

And as good as playoff hockey is, nothing beats actually seeing a hockey game. Hockey has the biggest disparity between watching live and on TV.

lefty
04-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Baseball is mostly mental. I like the pace, but just cause that's a different game. I can go to a baseball game, talk with friends, kick back and relax. I don't feel the need to see every pitch.

And as good as playoff hockey is, nothing beats actually seeing a hockey game. Hockey has the biggest disparity between watching live and on TV.
+1

I was a the Bell Center for game 3 between Montreal and Washington

It was great

florige
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM

And for whatever reason being at a baseball game live, the game seems to fly by verses watching it on television. I guess in between talking to your friends and looking at all the hot pieces of ass all around you I guess time seems to fly. lol

pawe
04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
I only watch the NFL draft for the 1, 2 and 3rd picks and when my team is on the clock.
I dont care for player names either.
Honestly, I wont even recognize a football player walking down the street because there's no way you can recognize him when they're wearing their lids during the game.
But I love football! I love all the plays and hits and the intensity of the game.