PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Duncan continues to answer playoff call

benefactor
04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Duncan continues to answer playoff call (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aupy_b.ethabcBAaB6WDV968vLYF?slug=jy-duncanspurs042210)

DALLAS – Antonio McDyess paused outside the locker room late Wednesday and shared a laugh. Yes, he’d seen it all before. Nearly an hour earlier, in the din of an enemy arena, the San Antonio Spurs had stood on the brink of a franchise-changing collapse. They’d lost their momentum and much of their lead, and so they did what they’ve nearly always done in such dire moments: They gave the ball to Tim Duncan.

Five possessions, four shots, a season saved.

Duncan’s 34th birthday arrives Sunday, and he’ll celebrate this one like he has so many before it. He’ll have a game to play, another championship to chase. This has stretched for a dozen years, and McDyess was there for the start. He lines up with Duncan now, but stood across from him then, the playoff debut for both. The Spurs put the ball in Duncan’s hands on seven consecutive possessions in the fourth quarter against McDyess’ Phoenix Suns. Duncan scored on each.

“Everyone says he’s older,” McDyess said. “I think he just got wiser.”

Anyone who’d watched Duncan labor through March had reason to wonder whether he still had games like this ahead of him. His left knee ached on some nights more than others, and he’d lost what little lift he once owned.

Privately, the Spurs suggested Duncan needed only time. His struggles, they insisted, had much more to do with the tortuous schedule the team was given than any specific injury. He was tired and worn, but he wasn’t done.

The Spurs also knew this: Duncan always saves his best work for the spring. No one remembers Duncan ever having a poor playoff series, and that’s because he hasn’t. He’s always found a way to impact the game – if not with his scoring, then his rebounding, defense or passing. Slowed by knee problems a year ago in the first round against the Dallas Mavericks, he still averaged a respectable 19.8 points.

“We know when it counts,” Manu Ginobili said, “we can trust him.”

Wednesday was one of those times. Already down a game to the Mavericks, the Spurs watched a 20-point lead drop to five midway through the final quarter. Duncan followed with four straight baskets: hook shot, 10-foot turnaround, baseline runner, pull-up jumper. The Mavs never recovered.

Duncan finished with 25 points and 17 rebounds to go along with the 27 and eight he had in Game 1. He’s played in 162 playoff games, adding what amounts to another two seasons to his 13-year career, and continues to deliver. All those battles, all those Western Conference blood wars, and he’s still standing.

“He’s always the guy that gets taken for granted,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

Through all these years, Duncan has remained the Spurs’ rock, the foundation upon which they built four championship teams. After the Spurs were dismissed in the first round a year ago, the franchise’s chairman, Peter Holt, signed off on a $10 million luxury-tax bill to upgrade the roster. Among the biggest reasons he did: The Spurs owed it to Duncan. During an interview last season, Duncan told Hall of Fame center Bill Russell he wasn’t satisfied with four titles. Duncan’s sincerity resonated with Holt. If he wanted another run at a championship, the Spurs pledged to prop open their window to do so.

Duncan, too, has done his part. Two years ago, he signed a contract extension that will cut his pay by $2.5 million for next season. He agreed to the deal because it would give the Spurs greater flexibility to shape their roster, and it already has: The raise Ginobili gets next season as part of his new extension will be swallowed by the savings the Spurs receive on Duncan’s contract.

At times, Duncan has had reason to question the return on his investment, even as recently as last weekend. The Spurs traded for Richard Jefferson(notes) last summer to improve their championship odds, then watched him produce four points in his first playoff game with them.

“We had a lot of guys who played like dogs,” Popovich declared after the loss.

When someone relayed Popovich’s comments, Duncan laughed and said: “ ‘Soft,’ is usually his favorite motivational tactic.”

Duncan’s gentle personality has long provided the perfect complement to Popovich’s sideline fire. Popovich spares no victims. If Duncan has to weather his share of criticism, then how can anyone else complain?

So Popovich unleashed his K9 Club in Game 2 and Jefferson went for 19 points – all but two coming in the first half, when the Spurs built their large lead. Not since Game 7 of their 2008 second-round series against the New Orleans Hornets have the Spurs enjoyed such an important victory. Duncan, Ginobili and Tony Parker all performed like stars for the second straight game, and this time San Antonio received enough contributions from its role players. It was enough to assure the Spurs they’re capable of winning the series.

“I think we have a team that’s built for the playoffs,” Duncan said, though he might as well have been speaking about himself.

As much as anyone, Duncan settles into a rhythm in the postseason, which spares him the grind of back-to-back games. He’s at the age where any day off is a good day. Popovich’s decision to hold Duncan out of the season finale afforded him five days to rest before the playoffs. He received another two days before Game 2.

“I’m feeling a lot better and I’m re-energized,” Duncan said.

That’s why it was imperative for the Spurs to win one of these first two games. The series now shifts to an every-other-day format, which should favor the deeper Mavs. The Spurs can’t ignore that reality, nor do they pretend Duncan is the same force he was seven seasons ago, especially defensively. Last year’s knee problems spurred him to lose 15 pounds during the summer, and no longer does he command a double team as often as he once did. Scoring over Brendan Haywood and Erick Dampier is not the same as going through Gasol and Andrew Bynum.

But this, too, is also true: “He’ll never lose his skill set,” Dirk Nowitzki said.

Come Sunday, Duncan will have another birthday to celebrate, another game to play. And if the Spurs’ season needs saving again? Yes, Tim Duncan is both older and wiser. But no one should think he’s done.

benefactor
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Let's face reality here...Tim Duncan is done. He's done.
These words will never again come off my keyboard.

galvatron3000
04-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Consider throwing that keyboard aWAY

Flux451
04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Remove those letters from your board

Phenomanul
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Great read. :tu

rjv
04-22-2010, 12:14 PM
These words will never again come off my keyboard.

well at least you have sought atonement.

benefactor
04-22-2010, 12:20 PM
well at least you have sought atonement.
James 5:16

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed."

:)

DesignatedT
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
tim duncan is a beast!!!

baseline bum
04-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Duncan’s 34th birthday arrives Sunday, and he’ll celebrate this one like he has so many before it. He’ll have a game to play, another championship to chase. This has stretched for a dozen years, and McDyess was there for the start. He lines up with Duncan now, but stood across from him then, the playoff debut for both. The Spurs put the ball in Duncan’s hands on seven consecutive possessions in the fourth quarter against McDyess’ Phoenix Suns. Duncan scored on each.

I'll never get tired of seeing that game.

SN5LdZEzWKo

Slomo
04-22-2010, 04:20 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

If that video doesn't make you smile you're not a basketball fan.

If that video doesn't bring a tear of joy to your eye you're not a Spurs fan.

Blackjack
04-22-2010, 04:22 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

The guy should've been dubbed "The Mechanic" after that game.

You'd have to be one to dissemble a Hot Rod so thoroughly. :hat

Blake
04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Ludden is the man.

crc21209
04-22-2010, 04:32 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

Classic. Just Classic.

MannyIsGod
04-22-2010, 04:46 PM
This article is the complete antithesis of the thread a few weeks back that said something like FU Duncan. How any Spurs fan can ever say that to Duncan amazes me. Ludden makes a great point: Duncan has never had a bad playoff series. Never. Thats just flat out fucking amazing and it shows you how much he's carried this team over the past 10 years.

Tim Duncan, I don't care if you never score another NBA basket. You'll likely be my favorite basketball player of all time and thank you for the great times.

Muser
04-22-2010, 04:47 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

Hell yeah :ihit

TIMMYD!
04-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Tim Duncan is fucking amazing!

Shastafarian
04-22-2010, 04:58 PM
i'll never get tired of seeing that game.

sn5ldzezwko

He's gone mad!!! He's gone mad!!!!!

poop
04-22-2010, 05:05 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

seriously your sig is annoying as hell i always have to adjust my screen and have to stop as im scrolling to get around your stupid 1200 line math problem.

alchemist
04-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Is Ludden a full time Lakerfag now? Duncan did work on Gasol and Bynum this season.

Spurs Brazil
04-22-2010, 05:35 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

I love this game. I have the entire game on an old VCR tape

Mark in Austin
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Guess it takes the playoffs to rouse Ludden from the bowels of Yahoo sports and get him to write a column or two. I'll take whatever I can get from him. :toast

Mark in Austin
04-22-2010, 05:53 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

As much as I like that one, it was what Duncan did against Utah before the injury that got me really fired up. You could see the light bulb go on over his head and he just OWNED the Jazz.

m33p0
04-22-2010, 05:55 PM
is there a way to embed non-youtube videos here?

Tito_Trinidad
04-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Timmaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy

TD 21
04-22-2010, 07:06 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

One of my all-time favorite YouTube videos. Obviously, Duncan was great, but so was Harlen (and whoever the color commentator was).

- "He's gone mad!"

- "Hot Rod's getting tuned"

- "He can not be stopped! Time after time, winning joust after joust!"

SpursFanInAustin
04-22-2010, 08:45 PM
One of my all-time favorite YouTube videos. Obviously, Duncan was great, but so was Harlen (and whoever the color commentator was).

- "He's gone mad!"

- "Hot Rod's getting tuned"

- "He can not be stopped! Time after time, winning joust after joust!"

That was Quinn Buckner. He called a few Spurs games during the 2003 regular season with Joel Meyers on FSN. Good unbiased announcer, IMO.

duncan228
04-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Duncan is simply the best. :toast

And,

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/oddsandends/missludden.jpg

duncan228
04-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Tim Duncan is Still Tim Duncan (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/04/tim-duncan-is-still-tim-duncan/)
by Marcel Mutoni
SLAM

Duncan’s regular season numbers were down almost virtually across the board (minutes, points per game rebounds, assists, blocks), as he struggled with a multitude of nagging injuries. Gregg Popovich had to sit him out during the year just to make sure he’d have enough left in the tank for the Spurs’ Playoff run.

Last night in Dallas, with his team’s back against the wall, he proved all the doubters wrong. Duncan slapped up a 25/17 game on the Mavs, evening up the series along the way. It was a loud reminder that he’s still the best power forward in the game.

NBA.com captured the reaction from both Tim and his teammates following the vintage performance (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/art_garcia/04/22/spurs.mavs.game2/index.html):

Meet Tim Duncan. Again. Duncan won’t take credit for the 102-88 punch to the Mavericks’ gut Wednesday night just as he didn’t blame many of his teammates for the Game 1 setback. That San Antonio is in position to take control of this first-round series with two at the AT&T Center doesn’t land fully on No. 21’s wide shoulders.

Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker didn’t disappoint for the second straight game. Neither did Gregg Popovich’s dog pound, starting with Richard Jefferson. But when Dallas sliced an 18-point lead to five with nearly seven minutes left, the ball found its way into Duncan’s hands time and again. We’ve always trusted him,” Ginobili said.

Duncan’s roll call of signature moments following the Mavericks’ run justify that decade-plus of trust. Five-foot jump hook. Ten-foot jumper. Driving 9-footer. Defensive rebound. Jumper from 11 feet. Suddenly, the Spurs were back up 13 points with 3 1/2 minutes left in an enemy building drained dry. “I just got some shots to go,” Duncan said after authoring a vintage 25-point, 17-rebound outing. “I don’t know any other way to put it.”

There had been increased talk recently — in Duncan’s own town (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncans_last_stand_opening_statement.html?showFull Article=y), even — that Tim’s last tour of duty in the NBA is fast approaching. That the injuries will soon just be too much for him to overcome, and that he won’t have anything left to prove.

Last night, Duncan showed that there’s plenty left in the tank, and talk of his — and by extension, the Spurs’ — upcoming demise has been somewhat exaggerated.

ezau
04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
amazing, amazing player. I'm happy I was able to watch him play.

TDfan2007
04-22-2010, 09:44 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that...I feel weird saying this, but it almost brought a tear to my eye...

spursjustice
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Great read. I still dread the day when he retires.

duncan228
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Duncan shows he still has it in Spurs' Game 2 victory (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/art_garcia/04/22/spurs.mavs.game2/index.html)
Art Garcia
NBA.com

An old dog, some old tricks. When the Spurs needed it Wednesday night with perhaps their playoff stay at stake, they pumped a well that hasn't run dry for 13 years.

Meet Tim Duncan. Again.

Duncan won't take credit for the 102-88 punch to the Mavericks' gut Wednesday night just as he didn't blame many of his teammates for the Game 1 setback. That San Antonio is in position to take control of this first-round series with two at the AT&T Center doesn't land fully on No. 21's wide shoulders.

Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker didn't disappoint for the second straight game. Neither did Gregg Popovich's dog pound, starting with Richard Jefferson. But when Dallas sliced an 18-point lead to five with nearly seven minutes left, the ball found its way into Duncan's hands time and again.

"We've always trusted him," Ginobili said.

Duncan's roll call of signature moments following the Mavericks' run justify that decade-plus of trust. Five-foot jump hook. Ten-foot jumper. Driving 9-footer. Defensive rebound. Jumper from 11 feet. Suddenly, the Spurs were back up 13 points with 3 1/2 minutes left in an enemy building drained dry.

"I just got some shots to go," Duncan said after authoring a vintage 25-point, 17-rebound outing. "I don't know any other way to put it."

Duncan and all those foes he said earlier in the day that have hated San Antonio for years had seen it before. Those rumors of his demise, being a step slower and easier to contain, might not be entirely untrue. He averaged fewer points (17.9) and fewer rebounds (10.1) this past season than any other in his Hall-of-Fame career.

He also played fewer minutes (31.3) and his shooting percentage (51.8) was his third-best ever. The argument could be made, though few might buy it, that Duncan was more efficient this year than the past several.

"The numbers slipped a little bit," said Ginobili, an eight-year teammate. "Instead of 22 and 12, he went 18 and 10. I mean if you're going to slip like that, I'll take it."

Duncan was happy to take Popovich's forced one-game respite to finish out the regular season and the other breaks over the course of the 82-game grind. He said any day off helps his soon-to-be 34-year-old body, noting that the playoffs don't include back-to-backs.

"I'm feeling pretty energized," said Duncan, whose birthday coincides with Sunday's Game 4.

Still, he's piled up more than 42,000 regular-season and playoff minutes. His left knee often aches and it'll be burdened with a brace as long as he plays. Any slip in athleticism for someone who's never played above the rim, is countered by some physical attributes that haven't been touched by time.

"He's long, he's skilled. He'll never lose his skill set," Dirk Nowitzki said. "You've got to honor his bank shot there. If you push up on him, he can still drive and finish with both hands around the rim. He's still tough on the glass because he's so bottom heavy you can't push out , he gets [missed shots] and puts them right back in.

"We knew he's a handful and he really made some great plays down the stretch."

The Mavericks refused to double Duncan much Sunday, electing to guard him straight up with Erick Dampier for most of the night. Duncan would score 27 in the opener, a total he matched or exceeded only twice since Jan. 10. Dallas lived with it, along with Ginobili's 26 and Tony Parker's 18, because the rest of the Spurs, well, dogged it.

Duncan's 25 points carried more weight in Game 2, considering what was on the line and the frantic final push by Dallas. Brendan Haywood, not Dampier, was given the near-impossible job of containing the only Spur who's been part of all four championships. Duncan scored 10 in the fourth quarter, eight in that near three-minute span that turned near disaster into a road spit and homecourt advantage.

"We went to Tim just about every other time down the stretch, and he came through by scoring and rebounding at the other end," Popovich said. "And he's always that guy that gets taken for granted because he's been doing that for so many years just being an anchor for us."

Some might forget. The Spurs can't.

Blake
04-22-2010, 10:05 PM

SN5LdZEzWKo

thank God the Spurs finally got rid of that hideous fiesta logo we had to suffer through for over a decade.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-23-2010, 12:17 AM
thank God the Spurs finally got rid of that hideous fiesta logo we had to suffer through for over a decade.

I know I'll catch flak for this, but I actually liked the fiesta logo (don't get me wrong, I like the current logo better and I'm glad the fiesta colors never infiltrated the uniform proper).

And that phoenix game is just so beautiful to watch. Man, it just doesn't get any better than that!

spurs10
04-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Man, I feel fortunate to have watched Tim play. What a class act!

DesignatedT
04-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Hes gone mad!!!!!!!!

SenorSpur
04-23-2010, 03:30 AM
After all these years and all those miles, it's still a joy to watch TD operate in the low post. The way he surgically carves up the opposition. It's good to see him in playoff form.

At his age, I only wish he had didn't have to carry so much of the frontline responsibility. I trust that will not be the case next season.

MateoNeygro
04-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Great read. It saddens me to think of the day that he retires. How much I'm going to miss watching him play. We have been blessed to have him on our side. He's meant so much to this city and it's residents these past 13 years. Just like David before him it will be very bitter sweet to see him retire. Until then though Go out there Timmay and kick some ass.

MateoNeygro
04-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Man, I feel fortunate to have watched Tim play. What a class act!

Couldn't agree more!

ezau
04-23-2010, 05:14 AM
I don't even want to think of him retire. What an amazing player, my favorite of all time.

ersinert
04-23-2010, 05:41 AM
The guy should've been dubbed "The Mechanic" after that game.

You'd have to be one to dissemble a Hot Rod so thoroughly. :hat

guys, can i get the link of the video please? i cant see it here, thanks.

NFGIII
04-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Anyone who’d watched Duncan labor through March had reason to wonder whether he still had games like this ahead of him. His left knee ached on some nights more than others, and he’d lost what little lift he once owned. (Johnny Ludden);)

Described as an unathletic type player TD has owned the opposition way more than not. The Big Fundamental is an appropriate nickname given by Shaq. Being the psychology major TD plays within himself and doesn't get intimidated or ruffled by others. Expect more of these types of games going forward. :tu

If the Mavs can't figure out something to either stop, which is most unlikely, or slow down, also very debatable, then they are in trouble. But game 3 will be telling. I expect more double teams forcing the ball out of his hands and making other players beat them. If so then the Spurs may be getting more layups in game 3 since TD has become an excellant passer out of that situation. Just MHO. If they lose then they may go into panic mode or at least start trying anything thinkable to stop TD and thereby abandoned their original game plan, which lead them to getting the #2 spot and a better record than the Spurs. If they win then the ball is back in their court and now the Spurs need to come up with approriate adjustments.

These series between the two teams are always hard fought and exciting. One of the best rivalries in the NBA today. Both teams and towns don't like one another and it shows regardless of the sometime PC behavior exhibited towards each other.

I do miss Ludden writing on a regular basis about the Spurs. :depressed