PDA

View Full Version : anybody have today's hollinger per diem?

jestersmash
04-22-2010, 01:54 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-100422&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fplayoffs%2f2010%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fc olumnist%3dhollinger_john%26page%3dPERDiem-100422

WildcardManu
04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Only thing worth noting pertaining to the Spurs.

10. Kidd is a genius

Mavs point guard Jason Kidd has made the two smartest plays I've seen this season. The first came in Atlanta in March when he dribbled into Hawks coach Mike Woodson after he'd wandered onto the court. It's tough to top that one, but he nearly pulled it off Wednesday night in the third quarter of Game 2 against the Spurs.

Ahead of the pack on a fast break with Spurs forward Richard Jefferson trailing closely behind him, Kidd came to a dead stop and allowed Jefferson to run him over. Here's the genius part: Because he was ahead of everyone, it was a "clear path" foul! Dallas got two shots and the ball.

Now, in a rational world this should be completely bogus, as you should forfeit your "clear path" advantage if you choose to stop moving ... but until or unless the league alters the rule, clever players like Kidd are going to be able to use it to their advantage by slamming the brakes in the open court and allowing unsuspecting defenders to plow into them.

DPG21920
04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
That was a brilliant play.

cheguevara
04-22-2010, 02:45 PM
saw that and thought refs would be smarter than that

Fpoonsie
04-22-2010, 02:48 PM
That was a brilliant play.

:lol

Yeah. I was FURIOUS.

jestersmash
04-22-2010, 02:58 PM
saw that and thought refs would be smarter than that

The refs can't change the rules, they merely enforce them. The rules are what they are, give props to Kidd for exploiting it.

Interesting snippet about the spurs-mavs game, thanks for sharing. That's all I really wanted to see anyway.

DPG21920
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Kidd makes a ton of plays like that; some more obvious than others. Like in game 1 when he made that extra pass to Terry to try and get him going. Stuff like that wins games and endears you to teammates.

rjv
04-22-2010, 03:13 PM
that is a rule that needs to be changed when it comes to pulling up the way kidd did.

greyforest
04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
lol i love how he plows in to the coach and then holds his arm out, as if showcasing a product on price is right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8KtMOnGvY

coyotes_geek
04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Kidd's basketball IQ is off the charts. I really wish he were on another team so that I could root for him again. I love watching him play.

ffadicted
04-22-2010, 03:38 PM
lol i love how he plows in to the coach and then holds his arm out, as if showcasing a product on price is right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8KtMOnGvY

I still think woodson was out of bounds when kidd actually hit him...

dastrey
04-22-2010, 04:01 PM
The rule is stupid to begin with. You get 2 free throws and the ball? Just call the foul and give the team 2 points.

BigJoeD
04-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah, im suprised more players dont do it.

mazerrackham
04-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Kidd makes a ton of plays like that; some more obvious than others. Like in game 1 when he made that extra pass to Terry to try and get him going. Stuff like that wins games and endears you to teammates.
I call bullshit on Kidd making that pass to "get Terry going." The announcers went on and on about how Kidd could have taken that shot, and he instead decided, oh, I should get Terry going. I'm not buying it. There was a guy closing out on Kidd, there was nobody even close to Terry. It was the right play to make, nothing more. I don't understand why everyone reads more into it than that.

DPG21920
04-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I call bullshit on Kidd making that pass to "get Terry going." The announcers went on and on about how Kidd could have taken that shot, and he instead decided, oh, I should get Terry going. I'm not buying it. There was a guy closing out on Kidd, there was nobody even close to Terry. It was the right play to make, nothing more. I don't understand why everyone reads more into it than that.

Maybe when everyone sees the play as it is, and you don't, you are the outlier. Sure, what you said may be true, but with Kidd, you give him the benefit of the doubt.

raspsa
04-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I wonder if Kidd would do the same thing if it was Blair chasing him down from behind?

mazerrackham
04-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Maybe when everyone sees the play as it is, and you don't, you are the outlier. Sure, what you said may be true, but with Kidd, you give him the benefit of the doubt.
Well, the people I watched the game with all agreed with me. By everyone I really just mean the announcers, and I saw it brought up again by you. I don't deny that Kidd is a super smart basketball player, but it's a split-second decision. If anything, it's instincts and not him thinking through a check-list that says (hmmm, who needs this bucket more, me or Terry? Terry's kind of struggling, I think I'll pass it). There's not time for that kind of thought process.

NZ Spurs
04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
The refs can't change the rules, they merely enforce them. The rules are what they are, give props to Kidd for exploiting it.

Refs are there to interpret the rules. When Kidd stopped he altered from his "clear path to the basket" and therefore it should have only been an ordinary foul.