PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy: Playoffs should have fewer days off

anonoftheinternets
04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Van Gundy: Playoffs should have fewer days off (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/21/vangundy.playoffs.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2)

This could easily go in NBA forum, but I think its most relevant to the spurs and their allergy to B2Bs. Thank God Van Gundy has no say in anything that matters in the NBA.

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Stan Van Gundy has a request for the NBA: fewer days between games in the playoffs.

Never one to shy away from giving his opinion, the Orlando Magic coach said Wednesday before Game 2 against Charlotte that the league's first-round playoff format that spreads games out for prime-time television is difficult on teams.

"It's almost like you're on a high school schedule or a college schedule playing twice a week" in the first round, he said.
Don't get Van Gundy wrong: He understands the lucrative TV contracts the league has with networks, which slot games apart. But he'd rather see the NBA play back-to-back games in the playoffs like Major League Baseball or at least every other day.

"Baseball gets their whole playoffs and World Series done in like three weeks," Van Gundy said. "Us, it takes us the first round to go three weeks."
The Magic beat the Bobcats in Game 1 on Sunday. The teams had two days off before Wednesday's game, and they don't play again until Saturday in Charlotte.

The playoffs began April 17. The NBA finals will end in mid-to-late June.
Van Gundy suggested the NBA have back-to-back games in each city, then allow for a day off for travel. He said the first-round schedule throws teams off because it's so different from the regular season.

"The thing is they stretch all of it out in the first round for TV, and it really is strange because you get into a routine in the regular season where every once in a while you get a few days off. But for the most part, you're playing back-to-backs and every other day," he said.
Van Gundy also has been critical of the NBA playing on holidays. The Magic played on Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter among others this season.

But, as always, he understands the purpose behind the schedule.
"It's not the perfect schedule, but we all make a lot of money off TV and so for us to look at it and start griping about what we get from TV -- we're all making money because of TV and because of the people out there that want to watch it," Van Gundy said. "So we'll spread them out and we'll play them when they tell us to play them."

coyotes_geek
04-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Van Gundy does kinda have a point here. It is ridiculous that it takes so long to complete the first round. I don't like the back to backs idea, but there's no reason you can't just run each first round series with only one day off between games.

Dex
04-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Back-to-back games? Seriously, Stan?

Yeah, I'm sure you'd be putting a great product on the floor for a series clinching (possibly title clinching) game with two teams who have played playoff basketball for seven straight days. Players would be gimping across halfcourt.

crc21209
04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah and then as soon as his team would lose on a back to back he would be the one bitching that there shouldnt be "back to backs" in the Playoffs. The system is fine damn it...

admiralsnackbar
04-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Van Gundy does kinda have a point here. It is ridiculous that it takes so long to complete the first round. I don't like the back to backs idea, but there's no reason you can't just run each first round series with only one day off between games.

Considering the main sponsors for NBA games are beer companies, I think it's done more for the benefit of the fans than that of the athletes -- if you smell what I'm cooking.

coyotes_geek
04-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Considering the main sponsors for NBA games are beer companies, I think it's done more for the benefit of the fans than that of the athletes -- if you smell what I'm cooking.

No doubt. It's all about what maximizes revenue.

Chillen
04-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Athletes in all pro sports need a day to rest the body, back 2 backs are tough but if it happened in the actual playoffs for the NBA it would cause lots of upsets to happen. For instance the Thunder would have won game 2 in LA probably, a younger team than the Lakers. I think it's fine the way it is, it gives players time to make adjustments, study plays, and of course get the body some rest.

MateoNeygro
04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I've never liked Jeff Van Gundy, he's seems like a little weasle.

BronxCowboy
04-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Of course it's fine the way it is. I'm not even sure what he was saying the problem is. The first round takes too long? So???

easjer
04-22-2010, 04:27 PM
I've never liked Jeff Van Gundy, he's seems like a little weasle.

Wrong Van Gundy.

neboat
04-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Back to backs in the playoffs would only hurt the quality of the product...stupid idea Stan

OldSilentHill
04-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Is he comparing Baseball with Basketball in terms of physical exigency ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

vander
04-22-2010, 04:44 PM
... and fewer teams

6 teams per conference and 2 teams with a bye, teams play every other day until the series is over

boutons_deux
04-22-2010, 04:46 PM
B2B, season or playoffs, are an abomination, cheating the players and the fans.

Wanna shorten the playoff period? Reduce the playoffs from 8 to 4 teams per conference.

Which is consistent with cancelling the franchises in 10 cities due to lack of coaching and playing talent to fill out 30 teams.

ploto
04-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Every other day- instead of the extra day off- makes better sense when the games are in the same city. I don't mind the extra day when both teams have to travel.

ffadicted
04-22-2010, 05:38 PM
lol @ trying to compare basketball with baseball, where you sit your ass down for about 99.9% of the "game"

Mark in Austin
04-22-2010, 05:49 PM
:jack sure the schedule isn't ideal; but I highly doubt anybody will be lining up to give back some of their salary in exchange for a shorter series or running multiple games on the same night to a larger extent than now resulting in reduced broadcasting revenue just to speed things up. And the idea of B2B's would be DOA.