Aaron Brooks Houston 62 27 12 403
Kevin Durant Oklahoma City 17 5 1 101
George Hill San Antonio 7 17 15 101
Marc Gasol Memphis 9 13 17 101
Andrew Bogut Milwaukee 7 17 7 93

Houston's Brooks takes home award for most improved
By Official Release
Posted Apr 22 2010 1:07PM

NEW YORK -- Aaron Brooks of the Houston Rockets is the winner of the 2009-10 NBA Most Improved Player Award presented by Kia Motors, the NBA announced Thursday. The annual award is presented to a player who has made a significant improvement from the previous season.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/22/MIP/

MateoNeygro
04-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Kevin Durant? The guy was a Lottery selection. He was supposed to be this good, if he didn't it was a bust. Im obviously biased but I think Hill deserved it.

Dex
04-22-2010, 03:47 PM
According to total votes, isn't he tied for 2nd with Durant and Gasol?

phxspurfan
04-22-2010, 03:51 PM
If anything, Gasol deserved it more than Hill or Brooks. He went from being a joke on the other side of the lopsided Pau deal to being a legit, all-star caliber starting center. If it weren't for his injury, the Grizz may have been able to fight for a playoff seed.

Durant, as has been mentioned, was already a star last year, and was supposed to be great.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Here's hoping George wins the award next year!

Supergirl
04-22-2010, 05:33 PM
If anything, Gasol deserved it more than Hill or Brooks. He went from being a joke on the other side of the lopsided Pau deal to being a legit, all-star caliber starting center. If it weren't for his injury, the Grizz may have been able to fight for a playoff seed.

Durant, as has been mentioned, was already a star last year, and was supposed to be great.

Agreed. Brooks has been good, but inconsistent. Hill has been great but didn't play every game as much as Brooks or Gasol. Gasol is the clear choice, IMO - he played much better than anyone expected, and for almost the whole season as a starter.

manu the best
04-22-2010, 06:08 PM
kevin durant ? thats stupid .. the guy was 2nd pick over all .. i think brooks desereve it more than hill because carried his team ..

fyatuk
04-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Durant deserved to be up there. Yes, he was already good, was expected to grow, etc, but he did improve a LOT from last year to this year.

I would have voted Gasol, Brooks, Hill (with Durant fourth, but who cares), though.

Mark in Austin
04-22-2010, 06:49 PM
congrats to George.

ShoogarBear
04-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Would anyone here rather have Aaron Brooks than George Hill though?

Supergirl
04-22-2010, 08:14 PM

No, I think Hill is better defensively and with a bigger upside. I predict in a couple years Brooks will be bouncing from team to team trying to find a home, after briefly trying to get more money than he's worth from some unsuspecting team. He's good, but not *that* good.

blkroadrunners
04-22-2010, 08:42 PM
The Most Improved Player award is a joke. The award shouldn't be given to a player A) whose minutes are increased due to another player's injury/suspension, and/or B) they're in their 2nd year in the league (since Sophomores for the most part improve their game from their rookie seasons). I love George Hill, but 3rd's really as high as he should go, IMO.

Kevin Durant should have won it hands down...

bigdog
04-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Are you kidding me? Durant? He was already amazing. He was a top 3 pick. You shouldn't be allowed to be in the voting for most improved if you were already a star. I'm a huge Durant fan, too, but that's stupid. I think Hill deserved it. Hell, I think it's awesome he was even considered for the award and pretty surprised that people actually voted for him. Pretty cool. Congrats, George.

Buddy Holly
04-23-2010, 01:11 AM
LOL at Don 'I don't like the Spurs" Harris reporting this as Hill coming in 4th. Fucking loser.

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2010, 01:18 AM
for the guys sayin gasol deserved teh award, yeh sure anyone can win it it they posting big numbers on a scrub team

romain.star
04-23-2010, 03:30 AM
the MIP award is for players who improved their game from one season to another
No matter who you are (a star or a scrub), no matter what are the expectations, if you improve your game, you are gonna get MIP votes.
If Lebron 2011 numbers are 45 pts, 15 rbds and 12 ast, he will get the award

Obstructed_View
04-23-2010, 03:31 AM
for the guys sayin gasol deserved teh award, yeh sure anyone can win it it they posting big numbers on a scrub team

If he hadn't been playing on a front line with Randolph I might be inclined to agree with you. If he'd been on a real scrub team his numbers would have been disgusting.

blkroadrunners
04-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Are you kidding me? Durant? He was already amazing. He was a top 3 pick. You shouldn't be allowed to be in the voting for most improved if you were already a star. I'm a huge Durant fan, too, but that's stupid. I think Hill deserved it. Hell, I think it's awesome he was even considered for the award and pretty surprised that people actually voted for him. Pretty cool. Congrats, George.

Why not? He's already in his 3rd year, and Durant pretty much played the same number of minutes from last year, yet his scoring and rebounding has bumped up quite a bit. His PER has increased by 5, and he has help lead OKC from a 23-59 record to 50-32 this year. You can't discriminate him just b/c he's a star player (he wasn't even selected as an all-star last year); that's like saying a rookie who averages 20 and 10 for a season and leads a team to 60+ wins can't win MVP.

Not trying to bash Hill, I love the kid, but like I stated in my previous post, most 2nd year players tend to improve vastly from their rookie season, since they get more accustom to the league, their teams and style of play. Also Parker's injuries has had a huge affect in his minutes this year, bumping them up by 13, so of course his opportunities would grow and develop more efficiently.

coyotes_geek
04-23-2010, 08:26 AM

Hill is the better fit for the Spurs, but league wide I think more teams would take Brooks than Hill were they given the opportunity to choose between the two.

EricB
04-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Uh coyotes I'd hve to say your a tad off. Hill is a more versatile and more rounded player. I can gaurantee you George would be taken over Brooks 7 times out of 10..

ploto
04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
LOL at Don 'I don't like the Spurs" Harris reporting this as Hill coming in 4th. Fucking loser.

Something must be wrong with the chart or the story. If those 3 guys tied for 2nd place, Hill would be listed fourth with the fewest first place votes of the 3 guys. The story says only he and Durant tied for 2nd so something is off.

coyotes_geek
04-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Uh coyotes I'd hve to say your a tad off. Hill is a more versatile and more rounded player. I can gaurantee you George would be taken over Brooks 7 times out of 10..

Respectfully disagree. Don't get me wrong, I love Hill, I love what he brings to the Spurs and there's no way I would trade him for Brooks. But looking at the league as a whole, 20ppg is going to beat out "well rounded" more often than not.