PDA

View Full Version : Bucks keep Porter, fire two assistants

ducks
05-06-2005, 09:59 PM
ST. FRANCIS, Wis. (AP) -- Coach Terry Porter is staying with the Milwaukee Bucks, but two of his assistants were fired after the team's worst season in almost a decade.

General manager Larry Harris said Friday he let go of veteran assistant Mike Schuler and Jerome Kersey, saying the team needed different voices after going 30-52 in Porter's second season.

Porter learned Wednesday he was staying, but Harris insisted he never questioned keeping the coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
``It was never about Terry Porter and whether he'd be coming back,'' Harris said at a news conference.

He later put his arm around Porter and said: ``I hired him. I want him to succeed.''

After a season plagued with injuries and a revolving roster that never came together, Porter said he has had a frustrating few weeks filled with continued speculation about his status in Milwaukee.

Harris said he spent the last few weeks evaluating the team's future before going to owner Herb Kohl with his suggestion to retain Porter and fire Schuler, the Bucks' lead assistant the last two seasons, and Kersey, in his first year as an assistant after a 17-year NBA career. He said Kohl gave him the leeway to make the call.

Now, the top priority is re-signing restricted free agent Michael Redd.

Redd, who averaged a career-best 23 points last season, is one of the biggest names on the free-agent market. He has said he wants to stay in Milwaukee, but also wants to be on a winning team. There's been speculation Cleveland will lure him away to play in his home state with LeBron James.

``He's going to be handsomely compensated. He knows we want him,'' Harris said.

But the question is will the money be enough? Porter said all the Bucks can do is show Redd they're taking the right steps toward turning around the team.

``I think he believes in me and Larry and he trusts that we're going to do the right thing,'' Porter said.

Harris also gave an update on T.J. Ford, who has missed 1 1/2 seasons after bruising his spinal cord last February, then undergoing surgery this year.

Ford is working out five days a week in Phoenix, doing his own conditioning on the sixth day, does weights three times a week and spends about three hours a day playing basketball alone. Ford is waiting for medical clearance to start playing contact hoops.

T Park
05-06-2005, 11:42 PM
damn JK fired.

I wonder how good a coach he is.

Wonder if hed be worth bringing in this summer.

Dre_7
05-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Poor Terry Porter, still has to spend more time in hell.