PDA

View Full Version : • Wolves expect to hire coach within month

ducks
05-06-2005, 10:00 PM
aylor: Wolves should have a coach within a month
By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Sports Writer
May 6, 2005

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor isn't in a rush to fill the team's first coaching vacancy in almost 10 years.

Taylor said Friday that he expects to name a new coach within the next month, and all three Timberwolves assistants have applied for the job. But he's willing to wait if an NBA assistant he covets is on a team that is still in the playoffs.

``It's an important selection, so to wait another couple of weeks isn't going to make a difference to us,'' Taylor told The Associated Press after appearing as a guest speaker at a University of St. Thomas luncheon.

With the Wolves performing far below expectations, longtime coach Flip Saunders was fired in February and replaced by vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale.

McHale loathes coaching and always maintained that he was a temp. He coached the Timberwolves to a 19-12 finish, but that wasn't good enough to keep the team from missing the playoffs for the first time in nine seasons.

With last year's MVP Kevin Garnett on the roster, the opening is an attractive one. Taylor said they have received a numerous inquiries from prospective suitors.

``Right now, there's a number of people who want to coach here and we're high on their list,'' Taylor said. ``I'm not too worried. I think we can get (back on top) pretty fast with a little help. It's kind of exciting.''

They have already begun interviewing candidates, but Taylor refused to identify them. Two of the three Timberwolves assistants -- Randy Wittman, Jerry Sichting and Sidney Lowe -- have already had a cursory interview.

The Timberwolves are also considering several college coaches and some NBA coaches outside the organization who might be able to bring a fresh perspective to a listless team.

``There are some people that are on a number of (playoff) teams that we are interested in and are interested in us,'' Taylor said. ``My guess is that I wouldn't shut it down just because I have to wait a couple weeks because I really thought a candidate was out there. You could see us hang on a little while here even though we've interviewed quite a few people.''

So far, Taylor and McHale have interviewed candidates separately. Eventually, Taylor said, they will narrow their list to four to six serious candidates who will come back for another interview.

Taylor said he's looking for a no-nonsense coach who is committed to defense and not afraid to challenge a team of handsomely paid veterans.

Saunders' laid-back, player-friendly demeanor did wonders as the team emerged from Western Conference doormat to title contender, but wasn't effective on an older, wiser team, Taylor said.

``I don't know if the players have changed or we have older players or what we have, but it appears to me right now what we need is someone who will confront them more in practice,'' Taylor said. ``It's just going to have to be a coach who has enough confidence to say, 'Do it my way, or you sit on the bench.'''

McHale had that confidence. He challenged players in practice and wasn't afraid to speak his mind. But he maintained all along that he was not a coach, and Taylor agreed.

Had McHale wanted to return as coach, Taylor said he would have declined the offer.

``I just don't think in the long run that would be the best for our team,'' Taylor said. ``I think it worked out probably better than we thought on the short run.''