PDA

View Full Version : How struggling teams can turn it around

mogrovejo
04-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Is your team underperforming in the playoffs? Does it seem it’s going to be a short post-season? Don't worry, there's still hope for your and your beloved ballclub.
As long as they follow my advice. Here's the remedy that teams down in the series can use to turn things around and progress to the 2nd round. For the purpose of this post, I considered teams that lost HCA as losing teams:

Miami Heat:

A team struggling to find a reliable scorer besides their best player.

1. Put Arroyo on the bench, play Wade as the point-guard and insert Dorrell Wright in the starting line-up using him to guard Rondo. Easy, elegant, solution that by itself would change the complexion of the game on the floor.
2. Crash the offensive glass. To defend Boston in the transition, the key is to disrupt the outlet to Rondo. If that isn’t successful, the key is having the safety back ready to foul him. 3 guys should be enough to do that, 2 players should go for the board every shot.
3. Without one of the frontcourt players getting it gear, it’d be tough to score enough to beat Boston. So, find a way of doing it. Beasley has a tremendous face-up game, let him isolate and go to work. It’s risky due to his high level of dumbness, but there isn’t any other chance.

Milwaukee Bucks

They’re so undermanned and Skiles have already tried so many different things that I’m not sure there’s much to do. They basically need their players to raise up their game and execute really well. Tough for them, facing a clearly superior opponent and missing the foundation of their defence+offence. It’s not only about Bogut being a very good player; just as important is how pretty much everything – the over-aggressive defence + the half-court offence [1 – inside-out game; 2 – high-post distributor; 3 – multiple backdown screens on the ball] – is built around his presence. So:

1. Need to stop the Bucks frontcourt. There’s no point in keeping Joe Johnson under control if Smith and Horford are going to kill you every game. Horford combination of mobility and size makes his mid-range game pretty tough to stop 1x1 by guys like Thomas or Gadzuric – he needs to be bumped before getting the ball. Smith will cool down at some point.
Both Smith and Horford have been on the court for 65:10 of the 96 minutes. The Hawks have outscored the Bucks 144-105 in that time. Neither Smith nor Horford have been on the court for 15:08 of the 96 minutes. The Bucks have outscored the Hawks 36-24 in that time. Smith but not Horford has been on the court for 6:32 of the 96 minutes. The Bucks have outscored the Hawks 23-11 in that time. Next game, Horford must be a non-factor offensively. Make him work, tire him out, deny him the ball.

2. Need to take advantage of Atlanta’s switching defense. To take advantage of that, you need to have Ilyasova screening a lot, because the Hawks don’t switch when the screener isn’t a good jump-shooter. Use screen the screener and double screens plays liberally.

3. Defend the transition. A team that allows 11 ppg during the reg. season can't suddenly allow the double in the playoffs.

OKC Thunder

A team executing well and losing close games that would be large wins if it wasn’t for their large rebounding/paint disadvantage.

1. Sefolosha must guard Kobe. To win the game, OKC needs to defend and use that to overwhelm the Lakers with their transition game.

2. Durant is falling into Artest strengths by playing off-the-bounce+mid-range game. Must play off-the-ball, force Artest to chase him around, sell the contact to the refs if Artest is being too physical (which he is and the refs tend to be especially complacent towards him since he joined the Lakers). Artest has no chance of staying with Durant off-the-ball.

Dallas Mavericks

A team facing an opponent which is overall a better team but over whom they have some serious favourable matchups that should tip the series in their favour.

1. Force San Antonio role-players to score on you, at least as long as Hill is out of form. The Spurs Big 3 are scoring 1.3 pp poss; the other guys half of that. Those guys need to be forced to up their usage leading to a decline in their their efficiency (they’re combining for 0.92 per shot).

2. Besides Dirk, Caron Butler at the off-guard can be the individual matchup that most favours the Mavs. Ginobili has no hope of defending him in the post; everytime Caron took Manu down low in the past 4 seasons good things happened. Carlisle should go big in the backcourt to force that matchup; Caron should play smart, going for the post up, instead of playing dumb, trying to break Manu off the dribble or shoot over him, as he often did last game (the 2 times he went to the blocks vs. Manu he earned a foul).

3. When Dirk is out, the Mavs should go for a quick transition + defensive lineup - Marion at the four alongside a quick-footed shot blocker like Haywood at the five and Terry (absent Beaubois) at the 1. Barea if strictly necessary and if the Spurs don’t have Parker+Ginobili on the floor at the same time. The Spurs settle for jumpers when faced with this line-up + struggle to defend the transition. OTOH, don’t play Barea+Terry+Dirk+Butler+Dampier at the same time. That’s pretty much inviting the other team to score on you at will.

Denver Nuggets

This is a good defensive team – with Martin in the line-up - that isn’t defending. Not much else to say.

1. Focus on defense. Denver was 8th in defensive efficiency + 5th in defensive eFG% last season. For most of this year they were slightly worse than that; but now they’re ranked 16th and 14th in those respective categories ... despite only one/two changes to their first choice rotation (Dahntay Jones to Arron Afflalo + Lawson taking most of Anthony Carter's playing time). In fact, they should be a better defensive team than last season, not worse.

There is no good reason for that type of decline now that Martin is back. There’s a bad, ugly reason though: this squad is coasting mentally and playing poor defence on too many possessions due to that. Half-assed runs to close-out. Confused transition D, with 2 guys attacking the outlet passer and no one getting back to their own goal to force the jumper and prevent the lay-up. The guy guarding Korver leaving Someone needs to step and make this team understand that they run the risk of being embarrassed if they don’t start dedicating themselves to the defensive end as they did last season and for part of this one.

2. Post up Carmelo Anthony. Not only he’s a top-3 post player among wings (with only Joe Johnson being better), the Jazz have nobody who has the slightest hope of stopping him there and once they double their rotations are generally pretty bad.

Phoenix Suns

A team with clear positives and negatives that in this series basically needs to make easy shots.

1. Defend Miller with Hill, force the ball out of his hands + double LMA hard. Should suffice, it was more than enough in the last game. McMillan seems to have an endless array of tricks this season, so we’ll need to see his counter-move, but at some point he must run out of them. Pay attention to the movements the Blazers do running the baseline to cut through the lane after curling off a mid-post screen from their post player.

2. Consider moving Collins out of the starting unit. This can allow the Blazers to get in a defensive rhythm in the first minutes of the halves. Amundson could start.

3. Defend Bayless with a bigger player like Dudley. Pressure him from the ¾ of the court. Sag off of him, give him 4 ft of space and invite him to shoot.

Chicago Bulls

A team short on talent to beat their opponent.

1. Pick’n’roll them to death. Let LeBron isolate, dominate the ball, score on you 1x1 - help the Cavs to develop their own bad habits. Run every opportunity you have. Run some clearouts for Deng, otherwise he'll just settle for long 2s. This is a good enough team to steal a couple of games by merely doing this. Maybe.

Charlotte Bobcats

A team whose lack of scoring talent it's a big liability when they're matched with a good defensive team with explosive scoring.

1. Why all the trouble with the Nelson+Carter 2-man game? Just switch on them; if Carter wants to shoot over Nelson or DJ let it be, he'll rarely post them. Now, the Gortat/Carter pick'n'roll, that's tougher to deal with. Need speed on the floor to help and live with the potential open 3s.

2. It's nice to attack Howard from the pick'n'roll and take the ball to the rack. But if he's just going to be there, he'll win that battler more often than not. Move the ball a little first; set up some mid-range jumpers for Nazr; some baseline cuts for Chandler; swing the ball around a bit. And if this isn't enough, going with Diaw at the 5 must be considered.

3. Not running on made shots it's acceptable, but not running on turnovers is pathetic. No chance of winning this series if they keep playing at such a slow pace. Not sure on how to fix this without removing the head-coach.

pauls931
04-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Is Bayless even playing tonight for Blazers? I agree that poor Collins may need to be pulled from the starting lineup for the Suns. He wasn't given enough minutes this year, unfortunately, a Dantoniesque mistake.

mogrovejo
04-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Is Bayless even playing tonight for Blazers? I agree that poor Collins may need to be pulled from the starting lineup for the Suns. He wasn't given enough minutes this year, unfortunately, a Dantoniesque mistake.

Why shouldn't he play? Bayless is an one pony trick - a scoring guard with an extremely streaky and subpar jumper. You can pressure him because: he isn't comfortable; if he leaves your player behind, he doesn't have the decision-making to take advantage of that; so at least you take a couple of seconds of the clock at very little cost - considering the slow pace the Blazers play, that may take 1 or 2 options out of their set, 1 or 2 extra passes they won't be able to make. Then just stop him from penetrating, go under the pick.

mogrovejo
04-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Is this fucking clown serious?

You're welcome to this thread, but I'm afraid you'll find yourself a little bit out-of-depth. :toast

Findog
04-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Whatever the Mavs do, don't EVER play Barea/Haywood together since they don't have a fucking clue on how to defend the p'n'r. If you can't defend it, you have no biz seeing the floor against San Antonio. If Barea HAS to play, then give him the 8 minutes at the 1 available when Kidd is sitting. He should NEVER be playing the 2 alongside Kidd. Those minutes should go to Roddy if we're going to put an undersized guard next to Kidd.

Dampier should be the center on the floor at crunch time to check Duncan. Duncan has shredded Haywood defensively in this series. Not only does Damp have 50+ games of experience guarding Duncan and knows all of his tendencies and tricks, he is much better at defending the p'n'r - he does a much better job of showing hard and rotating back to the screener. I like Dirk/Haywood together when Duncan is sitting - the only time I would want to see Haywood in the game is when Duncan is sitting, and if the Mavs have a lead in the 4th Quarter and the Spurs need to get some stops, and Timmy has to play defense on Haywood - Dirk/Haywood/Marion/Butler/Kidd is is too much offensively for them to handle in such a scenario.

At some point Roddy needs to see the floor. He is not some magical cure-all for what is by far the biggest problem the Mavs have so far in this series - San Antonio shooting 49% from the floor in the first two games. If that continues the Mavs are going home early. But when the Spurs roll out a 3-guard lineup of Hill/Parker/Manu, there is an opportunity when Roddy can contribute by guarding Parker. Dallas should pretty much go under the screens on Manu/Parker and let them beat us with jumpshots. Parker hit a lot of mid-range jumpers in G2. I'm more comfortable with him taking that shot than slicing into the lane.

It all comes down to the Spurs Big Three + Jefferson: In Game 1, Duncan/Ginobili were good, Parker had a decent game, and Jefferson was terrible. In Game 2, all those guys were great: Parker/Jefferson lit us up in the first half, Gino/Duncan finished the job in the second half. We're not going to win if all four of those guys get rolling, but if I had to choose somebody to try and beat us, it's Jefferson (inconsistent) and Parker (not as explosive with the PF and his tendencies as a ballhog).

Findog
04-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Silver lining if you're Dallas: You were the best road team in the NBA this season. You have a proven history of getting it done in San Antonio. The Spurs pretty much had to play a perfect game in G2 to win: They shot the ball well, their top 4 guys were all great, they won the rebounding battle, they didn't turn the ball over, they held the Mavs to 36% shooting, they went 8/15 from behind the arc, and despite all that, they coughed up an early 11-pt lead in the first half and surrendered a 20-pt lead in the second half. With 5 minutes to go, Dallas had gotten it back to a 2-possession game. And that's with Jason Terry being the only guy to step up and have a good game for Dallas. Dirk and Kidd were meh, the Mavs centers were awful, Butler/Marion did nothing. Not that I agree with him a lot, but Barkley said after G1 that the Spurs had to play a perfect game to beat Dallas. They got that perfect game in G2, and still had a competitive ballgame on their hands in the fourth quarter after Dallas played like ass.

Things to worry about if you're Dallas: The Spurs are shooting 49% in this series. That's not hot shooting, since they are getting the looks that they want. If Dallas wants to win this series, they HAVE to get one of the next two, since they're not winning three straight, and they have to start defending better.

san antonio spurs
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Silver lining if you're Dallas: You were the best road team in the NBA this season. You have a proven history of getting it done in San Antonio. The Spurs pretty much had to play a perfect game in G2 to win: They shot the ball well, their top 4 guys were all great, they won the rebounding battle, they didn't turn the ball over, they held the Mavs to 36% shooting, they went 8/15 from behind the arc, and despite all that, they coughed up an early 11-pt lead in the first half and surrendered a 20-pt lead in the second half. With 5 minutes to go, Dallas had gotten it back to a 2-possession game. And that's with Jason Terry being the only guy to step up and have a good game for Dallas. Dirk and Kidd were meh, the Mavs centers were awful, Butler/Marion did nothing. Not that I agree with him a lot, but Barkley said after G1 that the Spurs had to play a perfect game to beat Dallas. They got that perfect game in G2, and still had a competitive ballgame on their hands in the fourth quarter after Dallas played like ass.

Things to worry about if you're Dallas: The Spurs are shooting 49% in this series. That's not hot shooting, since they are getting the looks that they want. If Dallas wants to win this series, they HAVE to get one of the next two, since they're not winning three straight, and they have to start defending better.

What worries me more is that Dirk won't miss that many shots again

ElNono
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
I would take Butler posting Gino on every posession. The last time I recall anybody abusing Gino in the post was... Hmm... never actually. I do recall the Pistons back in '05 salivating at the prospect of posting Prince on Manu, since Gino was guarding him, but we know how that went. In this series it would be even nicer, because that would mean less shots for Dirk, so I'm all
for it. :tu

And BTW, I don't think Dallas is struggling nor I think the Spurs played a perfect game in Game 2. If you want to see a relatively perfect game from the Spurs lately, you could look at the 20 point win in LA a few weeks back. Manu said it best: We have a long series ahead of us.

Findog
04-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I would take Butler posting Gino on every posession. The last time I recall anybody abusing Gino in the post was... Hmm... never actually. I do recall the Pistons back in '05 salivating at the prospect of posting Prince on Manu, since Gino was guarding him, but we know how that went. In this series it would be even nicer, because that would mean less shots for Dirk, so I'm all

I think he's talking about when Dirk is not in the game.

And BTW, I don't think Dallas is struggling nor I think the Spurs played a perfect game in Game 2. If you want to see a relatively perfect game from the Spurs lately, you could look at the 20 point win in LA a few weeks back. Manu said it best: We have a long series ahead of us.

Spurs were pretty awesome in Game 2: They out-rebounded the Mavs (16 offensive boards leading to 23 second-chance points), they shot well from 3, they limited Dallas to 36% shooting (I thought the Mavs missed a lot of shots they normally make, so only some of that is defensive pressure), they got great performances from their top four players. San Antonio played with a lot more energy, hustle and intensity. I'm not sure that they can play much better than they did last night.

I'm not into moral victories, but I don't think the Spurs can throw that much better of a punch than they did.

Ghazi
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Actually Butler did post up Manu successfully on two occasions in the 3rd or early 4th. Forget

El Nono just being the Manu homer he's supposed to be IMHO :tu

That was nearly a flawlessly executed game by the Spurs with exception to the FT shooting.

Mavs just missed their shots.

Spurs also got the lucky bounces: exhibit A: Kidd ties up Manu resetting shotclock from 1 to 5, Spurs win jump ball and Kidd's gamble fails leaving Manu open for 3.

The ball just was not bouncing kindly for the Mavs. I think the Mavs should outrebound the Spurs on average given the superior length of the roster/frontline

SPURSCHAMP
04-22-2010, 10:13 PM
op good read

Findog
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Mavs just missed their shots.

And before they say "Jump-shooting team" they missed a lot of shots 15 feet in that they normally make. Is there a shot-chart detailing their misses?...because Marion missed some runners in the lane he normally gets, etc.

The ball just was not bouncing kindly for the Mavs. I think the Mavs should outrebound the Spurs on average given the superior length of the roster/frontline

The Spurs are a very good team, so they're going to take away some things that other teams want to do, but we should not be at a rebounding disadvantage against them with our frontline. 51-42 and 16 offensive boards is pathetic.

Ghazi
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
yes, Mavs missed a lot of shots in the painted area.

Mavs were outplayed but I won't put much stock into it dictating the series is gonna be over like some fag fans (sribb, bullsfan).. every game in a series has a different flow so the Mavs can very well come out next game and win.

I'll reserve panic if we fall behind 3-1 , or even 3-2.

Findog
04-22-2010, 10:52 PM
yes, Mavs missed a lot of shots in the painted area.

Mavs were outplayed but I won't put much stock into it dictating the series is gonna be over like some fag fans (sribb, bullsfan).. every game in a series has a different flow so the Mavs can very well come out next game and win.

I'll reserve panic if we fall behind 3-1 , or even 3-2.

If the Spurs get the next two, the Mavs are almost, if not quite all the way, dead. You can't expect to beat the Spurs three straight times.

ElNono
04-22-2010, 11:01 PM
In a perfect Spurs game:
- We would have gotten more from Hill. He has been giving us much more all season long. Looks like he's still a bit gimpy with that ankle, but it could be the fact that it's truly his first real playoffs.
- RJ would play a complete game instead of just a half. Even though he did give us a great first half, he faded in the second.
- Bonner would shoot his career average 40% from 3 pt land, considering the burn he gets. Especially since he has had wide open looks throughout these two games so far. He did knock a couple on game two, but overall he's displaying last season's playoff form.
- Tony would average double figures, playing great instead of 'very good'. You saw last season what he can do when he's at the top of his game.

I think both Hill and Parker are realisitic areas where we should see improvement on our team as the series progresses. Bonner, RJ are big unknowns.
I will tell you that Dice had one of the better games as Spur too, but I'll claim dibs on mentioning he could do a decent job on Dirk one on one before the series started.
I hope Dice can keep it up, especially in the rebounding department.
If I look career wise, even his last few seasons, I think he should be able to. If I look at just this season, then I should have a few doubts that he will work his ass off every night like that.

As far as Dallas, I think Dirk will have better nights than game 2 overall and worse than game 1 overall. I would be surprised if he shoots well above his average 40% against us when the series is over. Caron seems to be another steady hand, and I suspect Kidd will find a way to contribute. The big question marks are Terry, Marion, Barea, Haywood... The first 3 because they've been fairly irregular. The last one because Tim really seems confident when he guards him.

mogrovejo
04-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Whatever the Mavs do, don't EVER play Barea/Haywood together since they don't have a fucking clue on how to defend the p'n'r. If you can't defend it, you have no biz seeing the floor against San Antonio. If Barea HAS to play, then give him the 8 minutes at the 1 available when Kidd is sitting. He should NEVER be playing the 2 alongside Kidd. Those minutes should go to Roddy if we're going to put an undersized guard next to Kidd.

The Spurs have been attacking Barea with the ballscreen pretty much every possession he was on the floor but used a lot more Dirk's man as the screener.

Dampier should be the center on the floor at crunch time to check Duncan. Duncan has shredded Haywood defensively in this series. Not only does Damp have 50+ games of experience guarding Duncan and knows all of his tendencies and tricks, he is much better at defending the p'n'r - he does a much better job of showing hard and rotating back to the screener.

I disagree; Dampier recovers to the roll-man a lot quicker, Haywood hedges on much harder and makes it more difficult for the guards to turn the corner - which is decisive versus the Spurs guards.

I think Carlisle needs to use them both versus Duncan. Run the floor. Tire him out. I like the Haywood+Marion line-up when Dirk is out because it allows the Mavs to play at a faster pace and prevent the Spurs to score a lot, as it makes penetrations from their guards very difficult.

At some point Roddy needs to see the floor.

I've been pimping Beaubois since he declared to the draft, but apparently that's not going to happen, so no point in focusing on that issue.

It all comes down to the Spurs Big Three + Jefferson

Jefferson scored the ball well for 2 quarters. I wouldn't worry too much about him for now.

What worries me more is that Dirk won't miss that many shots again

I agree, that was decisive in game 2 - Dirk was missing shots he usually makes, but that's on him.

I would take Butler posting Gino on every posession.The last time I recall anybody abusing Gino in the post was... Hmm... never actually.

Should have watched last game then.

Butler has a lot more success versus Manu posting up than playing off the bounce or used as a spot-up shooter.

In this series it would be even nicer, because that would mean less shots for Dirk, so I'm all

The reason I said he was the 2nd best mismatch is precisely because Dirk and whoever is guarding him is the best.

And before they say "Jump-shooting team" they missed a lot of shots 15 feet in that they normally make. Is their a shot-chart detailing their misses, because Marion missed some runners in the lane he normally gets, etc.

The Mavs went 3-16 inside 10ft except shots at the rim. But the Spurs put a lot of effort on altering shots there. Pretty much every of those shots was heavily contested.

The Mavs have good midrange jump-shooters. The Spurs struggle a lot to defend the 10-23ft area and the ballscreen game. Mavs strenght+Spurs weakness is something Dallas shall take advantage off.

The Spurs are a very good team, so they're going to take away some things that other teams want to do, but we should not be at a rebounding disadvantage against them with our frontline. 51-42 and 16 offensive boards is pathetic.

The Spurs rebounded 26% of their misses for the season. Yesterday they rebounded 36% - and did even better in the 1st half. This while sending only 1 guy most of the times there. The Mavs sometimes just don't focus on their backboard. They're a bottom 6 rebounding team in the league and there's no good reason for that. It's just laziness.

Findog
04-22-2010, 11:09 PM
The big question marks are Terry, Marion, Barea, Haywood... The first 3 because they've been fairly irregular. The last one because Tim really seems confident when he guards him.

I'm kind of surprised Haywood was in at crunch time when Dallas cut it to 5 and had a chance. Up to that point he had not guarded Duncan well. Not that Carlisle was sacrificing the game, but I wonder if he was seeing if Duncan's success against Haywood to that point was an aberration or if Haywood really is that clueless. I guess he needed to see what kind of lineup decisions he needs to make in Games 5 and 6.

Findog
04-22-2010, 11:14 PM
The Spurs have been attacking Barea with the ballscreen pretty much every possession he was on the floor but used a lot more Dirk's man as the screener.

I will never understand why Terry can't play 8 minutes at the 1 when Kidd is resting. He's not a floor general like Kidd, but he was our starting PG in the 04-05 and 05-06 regular seasons. It's not like we should fall off a cliff if he plays 8 minutes there.

ElNono
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Should have watched last game then.

I did watch it. I wouldn't be commenting otherwise.

Butler has a lot more success versus Manu posting up than playing off the bounce or used as a spot-up shooter.

Actually, he wasn't. Caron was more succesful with his jumper. You would know of you actually watched the game. He actually scored twice on the post on Manu, one of which Manu gambled for a steal.

Again, the reason it's not easy to exploit low post guard plays like that is that Duncan is the help defender. Kidd actually started the game posting up Hill a couple of times with varying degrees of success. I would actually agree that that's actually a more plausible mismatch, considering Kidd is a great passer off of help defense.

mogrovejo
04-22-2010, 11:20 PM
I will never understand why Terry can't play 8 minutes at the 1 when Kidd is resting. He's not a floor general like Kidd, but he was our starting PG in the 04-05 and 05-06 regular seasons. It's not like we should fall off a cliff if he plays 8 minutes there.

Yeah, I agree. I'd use Barea just as a situational backup or if I fall behind, nothing is working and I need to make some shots. Terry is a solid PG defender + good pick'n'roll player + can play the transition.

ElNono
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm kind of surprised Haywood was in at crunch time when Dallas cut it to 5 and had a chance. Up to that point he had not guarded Duncan well. Not that Carlisle was sacrificing the game, but I wonder if he was seeing if Duncan's success against Haywood to that point was an aberration or if Haywood really is that clueless. I guess he needed to see what kind of lineup decisions he needs to make in Games 5 and 6.

I was pondering that after the game, and besides of the obvious offensive limitations of Damp, maybe Hack-a-Damp was a factor. Pop has used that against Shaq even when we were up, just to kill momentum. Maybe Rick bought into CIA Pop?

mogrovejo
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
I did watch it. I wouldn't be commenting otherwise.

Actually, he wasn't. Caron was more succesful with his jumper. You would know of you actually watched the game. He actually scored twice on the post on Manu, one of which Manu gambled for a steal.

Again, the reason it's not easy to exploit low post guard plays like that is that Duncan is the help defender. Kidd actually started the game posting up Hill a couple of times with varying degrees of success. I would actually agree that that's actually a more plausible mismatch, considering Kidd is a great passer off of help defense.

He never scored, he got fouled in every possession. One was an offfensive rebound. Butler passes the ball well enough. Kidd can't post another well-sized guard as Hill as easily; Butler is 6'7'' and has a very good post game for a wing.

ElNono
04-22-2010, 11:24 PM

I agree. Even more so when he has the hot hand. We do it with Manu often too when he's in that zone.

ElNono
04-22-2010, 11:29 PM
He never scored, he got fouled in every possession. One was an offfensive rebound. Butler passes the ball well enough. Kidd can't post another well-sized guard as Hill as easily; Butler is 6'7'' and has a very good post game for a wing.

Who didn't score? IIRC, Kidd scored on Hill and Butler scored on Manu in that play Manu gambled and again, IIRC, got an and1. Again, the reason you don't see Carslile going for it more often is because the undersized guard needs to get past Duncan right after.
Plus, as I said earlier, I would rather have Kidd or Butler beating us than Dirk any day of the week.

Findog
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I was pondering that after the game, and besides of the obvious offensive limitations of Damp, maybe Hack-a-Damp was a factor. Pop has used that against Shaq even when we were up, just to kill momentum. Maybe Rick bought into CIA Pop?

It's possible he could've thought "The Spurs have outplayed us all night, deserve this W more than we do and are unlikely to choke down the stretch. I want to see what Haywood can do in a crunch time situation against Duncan."

I do think Damp should be starting...but Haywood's value is when he does come in against Duncan, there should be an opportunity there to force Timmy to play defense after banging with Damp...since Haywood is a more competent offensive player.

peteee
04-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Carlisle gets paid for sabotaging this team so there's no wonder that he relentlessly makes dubious substitutions that always turn out epic fails. Terry can only be used at SG because Barea deserves the minutes Kidd leaves behind, according to his retarded logic.