PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Dallas: Duncan wrests focus from Dirk

duncan228
04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Duncan wrests focus from Dirk (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=5126720)
Spotlight shifts from Mavs' Nowitzki to ageless Spurs center, a force in Game 2
By Jeff Caplan
ESPNDallas.com

After every game, Dallas Mavericks head video coordinator Mike Shedd hand-delivers game film on DVD to each player. Before Shedd could stretch his hand out to give a copy of Game 2 to Brendan Haywood sitting at his locker, the center swiftly countered, "I don't need one, Shedd."

Just as quickly, Shedd recoiled his hand and the video guru was gone without a word. Haywood had seen enough of Tim Duncan for one night.

"No, there's nothing really to take to the memory bank," the 7-footer said after Duncan victimized him for 10 fourth-quarter points, eight on four consecutive possessions that put the San Antonio Spurs back in control of a series-evening, 102-88 victory. "It's not like he kept beating me for dunks or he kept getting low-post position. He took the shots that I wanted him to take, but he hit them."

Duncan is on fire, canning a variety of shots from all angles, whether he's beating single coverage with a strong move, or defying a swarm in the paint by getting off an impossible-looking shot. Or he'll riddle a trapping defense with outlet passes to a perimeter filled with 3-point shooters.

"That's kind of what he wants," Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki said. "That's what they play all season long with him just having 16, 17, 18 points, but getting all the shooters involved."

It's a big problem for the Mavericks, who surrendered the home-court edge Wednesday and now head to San Antonio for Game 3 on Friday night and Game 4 on Sunday.

If the Mavs' two big men, Haywood and Erick Dampier, who found plenty of pine time in Game 2 after registering a minus-20 in 22 minutes, can't figure out a way to slow the ageless Duncan, they might rename River City, Party City -- not only is it fiesta time in San Antonio, but Duncan turns 34 on Sunday.

After he hobbled around on aching knees during last season's first-round series dominated by the Mavs, logged a career-low minutes this season and was continually reminded of his deteriorating scoring average for a second season after the All-Star break, Duncan has reintroduced the Mavs and their eager newcomer from the Eastern Conference to Playoff Timmy.

Nowitzki was hailed for his Game 1 flirtation with perfection, but it's now Duncan through two games who is dictating this series. The 6-11 power forward has averaged 38 minutes, 26.0 points on 59.0 percent shooting, and 12.5 rebounds.

"I'm feeling pretty energized," Duncan said after his monster 25-point, 17-rebound effort in Game 2.

Coming into the series, the Mavs felt they had as good a defensive tag team as any to push on Duncan. Not that the plodding, 265-pound Dampier and the livelier Haywood were going to shut Duncan down, but they would definitely make him work.

And they have. Duncan's just been better.

"Hey, he has a bunch of moves," Haywood said. "You take away his first move and his second move, he scores on his third counter and you just have to tip your hat to the guy and that's what we had to do [in Game 2]."

Dampier, who reclaimed his starting job from Haywood in early April, played 30 minutes in Game 1 and got the call in crunch time. He finished with five points and 12 rebounds. Roles were reversed in Game 2 with Haywood playing 26 minutes and all 12 minutes of the fourth quarter. Despite Duncan's brilliance late, Haywood still finished a plus-6, with two points and eight rebounds.

However, the fourth quarter was a demolition. Duncan had 10 points and five rebounds, including three offensive boards, while Haywood tallied a single defensive rebound.

Come Game 3, coach Rick Carlisle will probably continue to divvy up the minutes by feel.

"A lot of times it'll be a flip of the coin, really," Carlisle said.

When Game 2 grew uncomfortably close for the Spurs at 89-84 after leading 80-60, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich called for No. 21 on four consecutive possessions. Three minutes later, the only player on the roster who's hoisted all four NBA titles made it 97-84.

"We went to Tim just about every other time down the stretch, and he came through by scoring and rebounding at the other end," Popovich said. "He's always that guy that gets taken for granted because he's been doing that for so many years, just being an anchor for us."

Haywood was left humbled and with no excuses, while Carlisle was left to study film and come up with an answer -- if there is one.

"We have to make adjustments on the fly," said Caron Butler, Haywood's longtime teammate in Washington. "We have to look at his touches and where he's getting the ball, and you know he's a tough cover. He's a guy that can get it done night in and night out. I don't think nobody ever figured it out."

Perhaps the reason Haywood declined Shedd's DVD.

L.I.T
04-22-2010, 09:21 PM
[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=5126720"]"No, there's nothing really to take to the memory bank," the 7-footer said after Duncan victimized him for 10 fourth-quarter points, eight on four consecutive possessions that put the San Antonio Spurs back in control of a series-evening, 102-88 victory. [B]"It's not like he kept beating me for dunks or he kept getting low-post position. He took the shots that I wanted him to take, but he hit them."

That's what he wants you to think. He's just getting what he wants to get, while making you think you're making him do what you want to do...

Anyway, isn't that basically the story of Duncan's career? Everyone thinks they're dictating his shot selection or on-court actions, when he's just so damn multi-faceted it really doesn't matter, he's going to take what you give him and kill you with it.

KenziE
04-22-2010, 09:24 PM
fuck haywood hes as cocky as they come ... and in game 2 he could not show off coz theyre losing hahaha

Crookshanks
04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
"I don't think nobody ever figured it out."

Did this guy go to college - or even high school? I guess English wasn't his best subject. That's another area where Duncan totally outshines him!!!

Avitus1
04-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Timmy!

DesignatedT
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
glad haywood didn't take the game tape.... expect much of the same thing from timmy tomorrow night!

sportan73
04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
love this from Haywood, not like Timmy is the best PF of all time or anything. Sure, you dominated him Brendon and just got unlucky

please keep thinking that way for 3 more games

LoneStarState'sPride
04-22-2010, 11:52 PM
So Haywood thinks he's dictating what Duncan does. Can you believe this prick?

Fuck you and your inability to learn from the past, Haywood. Enjoy getting your ass torched AGAIN by the Big Fundamental.

raspsa
04-23-2010, 06:30 AM
When the Mavs had Diop, they had a much more physical defender capable of making Timmy work a lot harder than Dampier and Haywood.

ezau
04-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Haywood hasn't played against a big man of Tim's caliber when he was with the Wizards. Now he's experiencing first-hand getting humiliated by the greatest PF to play the game

DBMethos
04-23-2010, 07:26 AM
"I don't give them no respect. None."

~ Jerome James, Seattle Supersonics, 2005

MateoNeygro
04-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Haywood seems like a douche but I don't know much about him because he's been irrelevant almost his entire career. A player of very little consequence to a real team. Lol Wizards.

MateoNeygro
04-23-2010, 08:11 AM

hahahaha what a fucking tool. Is he even in the league any more?

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2010, 08:41 AM
hahahaha what a fucking tool. Is he even in the league any more?

He's in his last year on the lucrative 30+ million dollar deal Isaiah Thomas gave him in New York. Here's a picture of him during Media Day this year in his Chicago uni after he got traded from NY to Chicago in the Larry Hughes deal...

Talk about work ethic...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0911/biggest.transformations/images/jerome-james.jpg

LoneStarState'sPride
04-23-2010, 08:44 AM
He's in his last year on the lucrative 30+ million dollar deal Isaiah Thomas gave him in New York. Here's a picture of him during Media Day this year in his Chicago uni after he got traded from NY to Chicago in the Larry Hughes deal...

Talk about work ethic...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0911/biggest.transformations/images/jerome-james.jpg

Disgusting.

Old School 44
04-23-2010, 08:47 AM

+1, I was thinking the same thing.

I'm sure we will find out later that Jerome James and Brendan Haywood were twins separated at birth. :lol

coyotes_geek
04-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Talk about work ethic...

Yikes. I sure as hell hope that Jerome is sending Isiah Thomas something nice for his birthday every year.

Spursmania
04-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I hope Duncan schools this idiot again.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-23-2010, 10:22 AM

Oh, snap.

Anybody got that pic of him loading his locker into a garbage back after the Spurs sent him fishing in 2005?

jack0fspeed
04-23-2010, 10:37 AM
No doubt Tim Duncan was the best player on the court in game 2.

And though you expect him to win his matchup if he's singled up on Haywood, it's a little troubling to hear Haywood say that Duncan took the shots Haywood wanted him to take.

Basically Duncan was able to back Haywood down to anywhere he wanted. At least with Dampier, he can win the position battle every now and then.

EmptyMan
04-23-2010, 11:28 AM
lol Haywood. Duncan rarely posts up any more bro. Those 15 footers are the shots he has settled on for the last few seasons :lol

TheSullyMonster
04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
I love watching Duncan when he's feeling it.

"Here? Okay. I can hit a shot from here."
basket
"What about there? You want me there? That's cool."
basket
"I don't like this spot, I'm going to amble over here, if that's alright."
basket
"From here? All the way out here? But the paint is so far away! Here Tony, have a layup on me."
assist
"Christ, three of you? That's too much damn work; I'm old. Somebody hit a corner 3."
assist

TC-MAVS
04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
When the Mavs had Diop, they had a much more physical defender capable of making Timmy work a lot harder than Dampier and Haywood.

dont quote like you know anything about our team Diop was NOT physical at all. Thats why he's in Charlotte now. Stupid comment Raspsa

nkdlunch
04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
what has Haywood ever won again?

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Haywood is an idiot, nothing new here.

Slomo
04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
After every game, Dallas Mavericks head video coordinator Mike Shedd hand-delivers game film on DVD to each player. Before Shedd could stretch his hand out to give a copy of Game 2 to Brendan Haywood sitting at his locker, the center swiftly countered, "I don't need one, Shedd."

Well I kinda agree with him. I always preferred live performances to recordings. And in all fairness he has the best seat in the house to enjoy TD's performance... :D

Fpoonsie
04-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Did this guy go to college - or even high school? I guess English wasn't his best subject. That's another area where Duncan totally outshines him!!!

Meh. I cringe a bit when I hear things like that, too, but then I remember that these guys aren't getting paid to write a book.

FWIW, Caron strikes me as a great guy who's mos' definitely overcome a lot. I'm sure proper grammar for a soundbite post-game is the LEAST of his concerns.

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2010, 12:40 PM
I would trade my education for Butler's $..easy decision..

thispego
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM

that's how every other poster on spurstalk talks. why aren't you scoffing them instead of a guy who makes millions despite his "speech impediment"?

Fpoonsie
04-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Though, nothing tops 4cc's title-thing.

Epic.

pjjrfan
04-23-2010, 02:19 PM
That's why so many me included have been upset with Tim's play during the regular season. When he is on he makes it look so damn easy, it's ridiculous, and when he misses or is inconsistent it looks like he's not even trying. But it is quite evident that Tim will always be relevant in any playoff series until he hangs it up. And thank God for that. As a franchise we've had incredible luck with both David and now Tim.