PDA

View Full Version : Manu don't play the world championship.

chasky
04-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Damn for me nice for you.

No me lo digas así... (http://www.ole.com.ar/basquet/Ginobili-Mundial-Seleccion_0_248375339.html)

Manu Ginóbili finalmente hace pública su decisión: se baja del Mundial de Turquía. ¿Motivos? La llegada de sus mellizos más el nuevo contrato con los Spurs. Una buena: quiere estar en Londres 2012. Y antes en el Preolímpico 2011.

"No me acuerdo bien cómo me lo dijeron. Creo que me llamaron a casa. En realidad me convocaron de última", cuenta Manu Ginóbili sobre su primera vez con la camiseta argentina, para un Sudamericano Sub 22 allá por junio de 1996, cuando jugaba en Andino de La Rioja y aún no brillaba en la Liga Nacional. Al bahiense lo citaron porque los mejores de su camada estaban en instancias decisivas con sus equipos. Y en el torneo en Vitoria (Brasil) siempre fue suplente.

Hoy es otra historia. Brilla en la NBA, rompe récords y pone las reglas, incluso en la Selección que tanto orgullo le da. Por eso, a través de su columna en La Nación, hace pública su decisión de bajarse del Mundial de Turquía (arranca el 28 de agosto). Manu antes había faltado en dos torneos de menor importancia, el Preolímpico de Las Vegas en el 2007 y el Premundial de Puerto Rico en el 2009, pero esto no significa su despedida del equipo nacional. Ya dijo que quiere estar en los Juegos de Londres 2012. Y para lograr la clasificación se lo necesita en el Preolímpico 2011. Encima hay chances de que se juegue en nuestro país...

¿Los motivos de Manu? Pesa la llegada de los mellizos que espera con su mujer Marianela para los primeros días de junio. También la renovación de su contrato con los Spurs hasta el 2013: por sus lesiones en el Mundial 2002 y los Juegos 2008 no quieren correr riesgos. Esa fue la explicación que les dio a Sergio Hernández (técnico de la Selección) y Germán Vaccaro (presidente de la Confederación) en el encuentro en Estados Unidos. Ginóbili va a ser un hincha más cuando Scola, Nocioni, Oberto, Delfino y Prigioni salgan a defender en Turquía la chapa lograda por una camada de oro. Es como le dijo Leo Gutiérrez a Olé: "Si juega Manu somos súper candidatos. Y si no puede ir, aunque nos van a mirar de otra manera, presentaremos un equipo competitivo".

carina_gino20
04-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Sorry chasky, but yes, I'm glad he chose not to play. How are people in Argentina taking this decision?

chasky
04-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Sorry chasky, but yes, I'm glad he chose not to play. How are people in Argentina taking this decision?

I don't know, the new its recent. But i'm not happy, if the spurs lose in the first or second round, he could play in the NT this year.

DesignatedT
04-22-2010, 11:26 PM
good news. translate? please

jestersmash
04-22-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't know, the new its recent. But i'm not happy, if the spurs loss in the first or second round, he could play in the NT this year.

But that would ruin their chances next year if he played in the NT this year.....

If spurs lose first or second round, that's an even greater reason to not play in the NT versus if they win the championship

SPURSGOAT
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't know, the new its recent. But i'm not happy, if the spurs loss in the first or second round, he could play in the NT this year.

I'm frigg'n HAPPY he is not going to play in the NT this year! Now I won't have to worry about him getting hurt playing over there...Ginobli is not young anymore; his body can't take that kind of wear anymore; he needs the off-season to rest up for next season's NBA. :hat:flag:

chasky
04-22-2010, 11:30 PM
But that would ruin their chances next year if he played in the NT this year.....

Oh sorry, i don't know that you have the ball of cristal.

ploto
04-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Everyone knew this when he signed the extension- even though they could not be overt about it.

mogrovejo
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Will play in 2011 (Olympics qualification tournament) and 2012 (Olympics).

jestersmash
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Oh sorry, i don't know that you have the ball of cristal.

no problem, it's an honest mistake. most people tend to forget about my ball of cristal

taps
04-23-2010, 01:27 AM
most people tend to forget about my ball of cristal

Yeah I heard that shite gets you fugged-up.

But seriously, I remember Manu said he'd address this decision before the playoffs so that takes care of that. I'm surprised there wasn't a more public press conference, then again considering how intense people can be about nationalism, makes sense to do it through a column.

My Spanish is horrible but from what I gleaned Manu confirms 2012, then the writer goes on to say that Arg needs to qualify in 2011 to get there. I'm not sure if he has confirmed 2011 or not.

He was able to skip 2007 and Arg still got into the 2008 tournament. I don't watch FIBA at all can any of the NT posters say how Arg accomplished that? (maybe an automatic invite to defend their gold medal?) And what are the chances of qualifying in 2011 w/out manu?

MaNuMaNiAc
04-23-2010, 04:26 AM
I don't know, the new its recent. But i'm not happy, if the spurs lose in the first or second round, he could play in the NT this year.

where exactly has he said this?? he said he's not playing

Slippy
04-23-2010, 04:56 AM
This is fantastic news .

I should be a disa-appointed as Argentina were planning on coming to my home-town for a warm up game in July leading up to the WC's. Would of gotten to see Manu live in action. At the end, i'd rather see him resting up in the off-season. His health and the NBA should be his priority. Im sure Manu was keeping in mind, this is the healthiest he's looked in a long time. No matter what fans may try to claim, his long lay-off did have something to do with it.

exstatic
04-23-2010, 07:30 AM
where exactly has he said this?? he said he's not playing

I think he's talking the hypothetical "could", not that he might actually play.

I'm not sure his decision has anything to do with the Spurs at all. His wife IS having twins this summer.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-23-2010, 08:02 AM
I think he's talking the hypothetical "could", not that he might actually play.

I'm not sure his decision has anything to do with the Spurs at all. His wife IS having twins this summer.

he's said he's not playing because of his twins so how exactly does the spurs losing in the first or second round matter?

Personally, I think he should retire from international play altogether. We aren't winning shit anymore, not with the US actually taking it serious now, and Spain playing like they are. We had our moment, its over. Focus on cementing your legacy in the NBA. That's what I think he should do.

Dude doesn't owe shit to anyone.

flacura
04-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Sad but true, we'll miss manu in Turkey

We understand, the people here in Buenos Aires that love basketball and what Manu did for this sport and for the country understands every point of his decision. We love Manu and we support him.

Issue closed, let's destroy Dallas :)

MoSpur
04-23-2010, 08:10 AM
If true this is good news.

flacura
04-23-2010, 08:16 AM
It is true, he wrote it in a newspaper Cancha Llena for La Nacion as he always do, every week. He promised this announce for this week in the previous week article. Here is the today full real article (in spanish, sorry)

http://www.canchallena.com/1257299

ManuSupraTurbo
04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm glad he's not playing either. Look at Dirk, he didn't play last year and had a great season. He can relax with his new twins as well!!

Spursmania
04-23-2010, 09:17 AM
:D

Maybe Tony will follow suit. This is a wise decision by Manu. He knows his body can't take the pounding anymore and he is paying back the Spurs for his contract extension.

smeagol
04-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I think he chose wisely.

Express-News
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey guys you gotto read people’s comments on manus decision at tycsports.com…. lol…. a bunch of butthurt argies killing the guy.

MmP
04-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I couldn't care less about stupid missguided soccer fans who don't have a clue about basketball at all. Manu has given everything to his country, he deserves to choose.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey guys you gotto read people’s comments on manus decision at tycsports.com…. lol…. a bunch of butthurt argies killing the guy.

yeah, 90% of the idiots that post in those forums couldn't give a fuck what happened to "la celeste" in basketball before Manu came along and won the gold medal for us back in 04. Where the fuck were they then??

Manu doesn't owe shit to the Argie national team, or any other argie out there other than himself and his family. He's done more than enough. Anyone that says otherwise is just another self entitled prick talking out of their ass.

chasky
04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
"Sólo estoy priorizando Londres 2012 a Turquía 2010" (http://www.canchallena.com/1257299)

Por Manu Ginóbili
Para LA NACION
23 de Abril de 2010 - 03:53

Después de unos días de debate interno y poner en la balanza mi familia, la cabeza y el corazón, llegó la hora de tomar una decisión sobre la participación en el Mundial. Siempre creí que lo correcto era decirle al técnico los planes ni bien los tuviera decididos para que arme el equipo sabiendo con quién puede contar y con quién no. Por eso, creo que es el momento de hablar sobre mi futuro con la selección nacional.

He llegado a la dura conclusión de que, hoy por hoy, lo mejor para mí y mi familia, es no jugar el Mundial de Turquía.

Sí, ya sé, alguno puede no compartir mi punto de vista y hasta estar enojado o desilusionado en este momento, pero no crean que me fue fácil determinarlo. No es, o mejor dicho, no fue una decisión fácil de tomar. Lo dije en la columna de unas semanas atrás: me gusta mucho jugar con mis amigos de tantos años, disfruto cada cortina y cada defensa de Fabri, me sorprendo y festejo con cada giro del Luifa por la línea de fondo que termina en doble la mayoría de las veces, cada pase magistral de Pablo, cada rebote o corajeada del Chapu, con esas jugadas de Carlitos que te deja boquiabierto, los triples de Paolo y Leo, y así de todo el resto. Pero en esta ocasión hay muchas cosas que entran en juego y había que analizarlo bien.

Como es de público conocimiento, después de un par de años de intentos, con mi mujer seremos papás de mellizos en mayo. Me gustaría estar presente en cada uno de esos momentos que nunca más se repiten, ayudar a mi mujer en todo lo que necesite y disfrutar cada minuto de esta experiencia única. La otra de las razones que me hizo tomar esta decisión, y que también es importante, es que mi cuerpo no está listo para jugar tres años seguidos con la selección, no tener un buen descanso, ni una apropiada preparación física.

¿Qué quiero decir con esto? Como ya lo expresé anteriormente, mis dos experiencias en Juegos Olímpicos fueron de lo mejor que me ha pasado como deportista, incluyendo anillos NBA, campeonatos en Europa y todo lo vivido en estos ya casi 15 años de carrera, y no tengo dudas en mi cabeza de que quiero volver a vivirlo. Sé que no va a ser fácil la clasificación tampoco. Por eso, mi intención es jugar también el Preolímpico 2011, que tengo entendido hasta hay chances de que se juegue en Argentina. A propósito, qué lindo seria un campeonato oficial en frente de nuestra gente después de una década (la única fue en el 2001 en Neuquén), ¿no les parece? La idea es conseguir la clasificación ahí y entonces sí, jugar mi último (muy posiblemente, ¡nunca se sabe!) campeonato con los chicos y con la celeste y blanca en el pecho.

Después de lo que pasó en Beijing 2008, la operación, las dos fracturas y esa temporada horrible 2008-2009, me costó mucho ponerme en forma y recuperar mi nivel de juego. Hace ya dos años que no tengo una buena pretemporada; la de 2008, por los Juegos mismos y las dudas mías por el tobillo y la 2009 por recuperarme de la última fractura. Entonces, quiero aprovechar este receso para ponerme 10 puntos físicamente, tener una muy buena temporada 2010-2011 y ahí sí, estar en condiciones óptimas, tanto mental, como físicamente para clasificar en el 2011, y jugar los Juegos Olímpicos en Londres en el 2012. Y aclaro, por las dudas, que los Spurs no tienen nada que ver con la decision y que de hecho dijeron que no tenían problemas en que jugara en el 2011 y 2012.

No tengo dudas de que me va a costar muchísimo mirar el Mundial por tele, me voy a querer comer la pantalla y voy a extrañar esa competencia como nadie. Pero analicé mucho mi decisión, sentimentalmente difícil, pero creo que justa.

Espero sepan entender ustedes también. No me estoy retirando de la selección, sólo estoy priorizando Londres a Turquía y la posibilidad de vivir un Juego Olímpico desde adentro otra vez.

De todos modos, el corazón, el talento y el temperamento del equipo no se discuten nunca, con o sin mí. Quedó demostrado tanto en Las Vegas 2007 como en Puerto Rico 2009. Si a esos equipos se le suman el Chapu, Fabri y alguno más, estamos como siempre, para luchar los puestos más altos y subir al podio nuevamente. Estaré firme frente a la tele desde San Antonio, como hincha número uno, con Dante y Nicola con la camisetita puesta haciendo el aguante y ayudando desde la distancia.

Dex
04-23-2010, 11:23 AM
:tu Thank you, Manu.

I totally respected Manu's decision to play for his NT. I understand completely why he wants to. But logistically, the Spurs can't stand to throw away another season or two because of these decisions. If Manu can't play like Manu, then he's not really earning the hefty contract that he signed up for, so I think this is the best decision.

nkdlunch
04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
crap. Manu's babies are coming late may or early june??? what if spurs make the finals???

santymrc
04-23-2010, 11:42 AM
yeah, 90% of the idiots that post in those forums couldn't give a fuck what happened to "la celeste" in basketball before Manu came along and won the gold medal for us back in 04. Where the fuck were they then??

Manu doesn't owe shit to the Argie national team, or any other argie out there other than himself and his family. He's done more than enough. Anyone that says otherwise is just another self entitled prick talking out of their ass.

First of all, "la celeste" is the Uruguayan team. So I can go on and explain it to you that we never gave a fuck what happened to "la celeste" with or without Manu.
We are the "albiceleste".
Manu doesn't owe anything to anyone, including the Spurs, not only the NT. That's not the reason he's not playing for NT.
What he has accomplished in his life, is owe to himself.
Fans talking shit there, is like fans talking shit here if he was playing for the NT.
I think he took the right choice btw.

santymrc
04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
crap. Manu's babies are coming late may or early june??? what if spurs make the finals???

Early June. Dunno, he's gonna be pumped up I hope.

So... nkdlunch, are you worried about your centerpiece DNP-CD? Are you gonna start another Bogans appreciation thread? (Joking).

nkdlunch
04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Early June. Dunno, he's gonna be pumped up I hope.

well when I had my baby I was giving 10% effort at work for the 1st 2 weeks :depressed

duncan228
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Manu Ginobili Will Not Play for Argentina This Summer (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-manuginobiliwillnotp)
SportingNews

Everyone knows that there’s no greater honor as a basketball player than to represent your country on the world stage. At least that’s what all the players say when they’re actually in international competition. I’m pretty sure they care way more about winning an NBA championship.

The reason I question these athletes’ basketball patriotism is that they continually show they care more about staying healthy for the pro teams that pay them large sums of dollars, euros, or pesos. Today, we have another case of money over country, as Manu Ginobili announced in the Argentinian paper La Nacion that he won’t play in this summer’s World Championships (http://www.canchallena.com/1257299). That’s in Spanish, though, so I’ll quote this handy recap from Michael A. De Leon of Project Spurs (http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/april/ginobili-will-not-play-in-world-championships.html):

According to Cronica Online (through Google translation), Manu listed the arrival of his twin babies, expected in June, and the recent contract extension he signed with the Spurs as reasons for his decision.

The baby explanation falls in line with the personal reasons given by American players like Dwyane Wade (divorce), Carmelo Anthony (marriage), and LeBron James (box office smash movie) for their likely missing out on this summer’s competition. The primary reason, though, is almost certainly his new contract, which ties him to the Spurs for three more seasons at a pretty high rate of compensation. In both basketball and other areas of business, employees tend to act in the interests of the people who support their quality of life. Ginobili is no different than anyone in that regard, and it makes even more sense when you consider his injury history.

I joked a bit up top about how Ginobili hates his country, but that’s obviously not the case. In fact, retiring from international competition Ginobili’s age (he’ll turn 33 in July) is a standard part of soccer, where club teams hem and haw about their players getting injured while playing for their countries far more than NBA teams do. Granted, the Argentinian soccer team can handle the retirement of a star on Ginobili’s level in a way that the less developed basketball program cannot, but it’s not as if he is breaking the mold for athletic superstars in his country. Except, of course, this isn’t a retirement—Ginobili even stated that he’s prioritizing the 2012 Olympics in London over all else.

It’s also worth noting that Ginobili can only afford to sit out the World Championships because the national team is in relatively good shape without him. Historically, foreign national teams have needed all hands on deck to boost their reputations around the world and make basketball a serious option for young athletes at home. Now, though, the team is established, and part of the response to that is for a nation’s best players to stop sacrificing their health for the sake of the country and get some summer rest. It’s a sign that these national teams are becoming more like Team USA.

Yes, maybe they’ve lost their edge as feisty underdogs, but having superstars elect to sit out international competition is as much a status symbol as a bronze medal.

flacura
04-23-2010, 01:00 PM
well when I had my baby I was giving 10% effort at work for the 1st 2 weeks :depressed

Everybody was saying "Manu is Old", "he has to leave Spurs", "Trade Manu" next what

March and April he carried the team alone to the playoffs and Manu deserves more than 10M a year contract

Doubts against Manu again, come on, are you serious? If he has to win the finals alone he will, you'll see, he is a MONSTER CHAMPION :king with a tremendous heart. Trust him, he won't let you down, he is a gladiator.

Manu destroy Mavs tonite and go for :lobt2:

We'll miss him in Turkey

urunobili
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
if the Spurs win a fifth ring he may go there last minute... that's my opinion...

Mel_13
04-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Manu did a masterful job of balancing the competing interests in his personal and professional lives.

Well done, Manu.

Josepatches_
04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
That’s in Spanish, though, so I’ll quote this handy recap from Michael A. De Leon of Project Spurs (http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/april/ginobili-will-not-play-in-world-championships.html):

According to Cronica Online (through Google translation),

I find funny how one journalist who lives in Texas and his name is De Leon has to use Google to translate spanish.

santymrc
04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
if the Spurs win a fifth ring he may go there last minute... that's my opinion...

No way he changes his mind "on the fly". He already stated he's not playing. He's not that kind of guy.

smeagol
04-23-2010, 01:46 PM
:tu Thank you, Manu.

I totally respected Manu's decision to play for his NT. I understand completely why he wants to. But logistically, the Spurs can't stand to throw away another season or two because of these decisions. If Manu can't play like Manu, then he's not really earning the hefty contract that he signed up for, so I think this is the best decision.

Are you aware he said he'll be playing the summers of 2011 and 2012?

MaNuMaNiAc
04-23-2010, 01:55 PM
First of all, "la celeste" is the Uruguayan team. So I can go on and explain it to you that we never gave a fuck what happened to "la celeste" with or without Manu. We are the "albiceleste".

yeah, I'm from Argentina there genius, I know we are the "albiceleste". What you so shrewdly managed to uncover with that attempt at being a smartass is that I accidentally forgot to add the "...y blanca". Congrats.

Manu doesn't owe anything to anyone, including the Spurs, not only the NT. That's not the reason he's not playing for NT.First of all, I never said that's why he wasn't playing, read a little. I'm not saying he's not playing because he doesn't owe anyone anything. I'm saying he can CHOOSE to do whatever he wants because he doesn't owe anyone anything. Which is what he's done.

Having said that, you are completley missguided if you think he doesn't owe the Spurs for what they are paying him. The fact that he has to pander to idiots down here in Argentina that can't get it through their fucking skulls that professional basketball is a business doesn't change shit. The Spurs are paying him to play for them, that means his first priority is to be loyal to himself and his family, then to the Spurs. Period.

What he has accomplished in his life, is owe to himself.
Fans talking shit there, is like fans talking shit here if he was playing for the NT.I agree, hence why I tend to call them out whether it be here or there. You're the one objecting to me calling them out over there.

I think he took the right choice btw.

We agree then.

P.S. Do me a favor, before you continue trying to excuse the idiots that post over there, go ahead and read some of them

http://tycsports.com/global/not_comments.php?id=57460&sy=3990

MaNuMaNiAc
04-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Let me clarify something. I'm not saying its wrong to wish Manu would play for NT. I'm saying its wrong to be a douche and start belittling the man and calling him a traitor because of a choice he's perfectly entitled to make. Its not like we're talking about a man that hasn't done shit for his national team. He's done more than anyone else.

SO to all the Argentine morons out there that call him a traitor, a "pechofrio", etc. You're all a bunch of self entitled pieces of shit who don't have a fucking clue what it is to be a professional athlete and have the responsabilities that carries.

chungoman
04-23-2010, 02:44 PM
http://tycsports.com/global/not_comm...=57460&sy=3990

Wow, that sucks. Either all those messages were written by one or two morons using different nicknames, or we really are a resentful society. I'm guessing the latter.

TMTTRIO
04-23-2010, 03:22 PM
I had a feeling that Manu was going to sit out the other day after hearing the interview with his brother Sepo the other day. Man I would hate to have to make that decision. It's a no win situation for him. If he decides to play the Spurs fans are mad and if he doesn't he gets the whole country of Argentina mad at him. I'm glad he's considering everything and makes one for him and his family and I wish him the best. Man it's sad to see all the viscious replies on his facebook page now :(. I don't mind if he plays as long as it's not every year and he's fully healthy. Like Manu has said it's just like playing with a bunch of good friends.

cheguevara
04-23-2010, 03:26 PM

"Ojala que tus hijos nazcan en USA, asi no tenemos tanta sangre traidora en la Argentina."

:lmao

and I thought spursfans were bad

"I hope you lose in the first round" :lol

"Nadie te cree que fue una decision dificil si lo unico que te importa es la guita, pesetero yanqui inmundo.perdon tanque, tenias razon cuando decias que este tipo era un gil."

cheguevara
04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Argentine mafia going after Manu or his family :wow

cheguevara
04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
I have a bad feeling about these hate comments coming out on gameday today

TMTTRIO
04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
well he already had the kidnapping threat against his brother a couple years ago. Well anyways it's sad.

Spurs Brazil
04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Good news, I hope Tony does the same and Tiago too

anakha
04-23-2010, 03:47 PM

The CoM is now atheist!? :lmao

MaNuMaNiAc
04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Wow, that sucks. Either all those messages were written by one or two morons using different nicknames, or we really are a resentful society. I'm guessing the latter.

no, its not just a few morons, its the end result of a couple of decades of deterioration of the educational system. Go to any sports forum in Argentina you'll end up with practically the same result.

cheguevara
04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
:lol this is hilarious I'll put some argenine comments through google translator for spursfans:

Few are the ones who give everything for the national shirt .... if not san antonio for 40 million were playing the World Cup and all the other teams could make you 35 million contract .... COWARD

This guy is not an Argentine, is a traitor

Ginobili is a wimp if he were the best ever have to go.Sos a wimp!! Dead Stay in usa.

HOW CAN BE?? STILL CAN NOT BELIEVE!! FIRST IS THE HOMELAND! COLD CHEST! We encouraged you LIFE IN SAN ANTONIO AND NOW YOU GIVE YOUR BACK TO ALL ARGENTINA! YOU FUCKED UP MY DAY THE SON OF PU, TA! OLYMPICS AND ... Put it in your CU.LO ANYWAY YOU CAN NOT EQUAL WITH THE WORLD ... YOU TOOK ARGENTINA HOPES TO ALL! SOS DISGRACE THE best he had! IN LA ARGENTINA DON"T EVEN SHOW UP BECAUSE I'LL BE THE FIRST TO GO TO THE AIRPORT TO SHIT ON YOU! YOu Faggot CAG ASTESA! HDP

DAF86
04-23-2010, 04:14 PM
"Ojala que tus hijos nazcan en USA, asi no tenemos tanta sangre traidora en la Argentina."

:lmao

and I thought spursfans were bad

"I hope you lose in the first round" :lol

"Nadie te cree que fue una decision dificil si lo unico que te importa es la guita, pesetero yanqui inmundo.perdon tanque, tenias razon cuando decias que este tipo era un gil."

Most of those guys probably don't even know how Manu looks like.

DAF86
04-23-2010, 04:19 PM
The CoM is now atheist!? :lmao

They don't give a fuck about Manu or basketball, they're just moronic football fans.

cheguevara
04-23-2010, 04:26 PM
They don't give a fuck about Manu or basketball, they're just moronic football fans.

how these ignorant morons have access to a computer and internet is beyond me

chasky
04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Good news, I hope Tony does the same and Tiago too

Tiago is like Scola. He always plays for the national team.

cd98
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
This was probably part of a wink wink on Ginobili's extension. But why play? His 1996 gold has permenantly cemented his status as a hero in Argentina and it's highly unlikely that he'll beat Spain or the US. Sure they could win again but the biggest accolades he can win now are in the NBA.

urunobili
04-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Urunobili's translation :)

I am just prioritizing London 2012 to Turkey 2010

By Manu

After several days of internal debate and putting into balance my family, my head and heart, the time to make a decision about my participation in the Basketball world cup has arise. I always believed that the right thing was to inform the National Team coach in advance my plans once I had them clear so he could assemble the roster knowing who he could count with and whom he could not. That’s why, I think this is the right moment for me to talk about my future with the National Team.

I have arrived to the tough conclusion that today the best for me and my family is not to play Turkey’s world Cup.

Yes I know, some people may not share my point of view and maybe angry or disappointed in this moment, but believe me that it wasn’t easy to decide it. It’s not, or better said, it wasn’t an easy decision to take. I mentioned it in one of my columns a couple of weeks ago: I love to play with my friends of so many years, I enjoy every pick Fabri (Oberto) sets for me and his defensive play too, I surprise myself and celebrate each move Luifa (Scola) does that the majority of the times ends up in a basket, every brilliant Pablo (Prigioni) assist, each rebound or adventurous play Chapu (Nocioni) makes, those jaw dropping Carlitos (Delfino) moves , the triples by Paolo and Leo and so everybody else’s contribution. But on this occasion there are a lot of factors into play and I had to analyze it profoundly.

As it is publicly known and after several years trying, my wife and I will become parents of twins in May. I would like to be present on each one of those moments that I know will never be repeated, help my wife with everything she needs and enjoy every minute of this unique experience. The other of the reasons that made me make this decision and that is also important, is that my body isn’t ready to play three straight years with the National Team without having proper rest neither an appropriate athletic conditioning.

What do I mean by this? As I expressed before, my two previous experiences on the Olympics where the best thing that ever happened to me as an athlete, including the NBA rings, European championships and everything I lived on my almost 15 years of career, and I have no doubts in my head that I would like to live that again. I know the qualification won’t be easy either. That’s why my intention is to also play the pre Olympic tournament in 2011 that I understand have great chances to be organized in Argentina. It would be really nice to play an official championship on our own home court with our people after a decade (the only one was in 2001 in Neuquen) don’t you think? The idea is to accomplish the qualification and then yes, play my last (very possibly but one never knows) championship with the guys and with the white and blue in my chest.

After what happened in Beijing 2008, the surgery, the two fractures and the horrid 2008-2009 season, it took me a whole lot of time to be back in shape and recover my game. It has been two years already since I haven’t been able to have a good pre season conditioning,; the 2008 one, because of the games themselves and doubts about my ankle and the 2009 one to recover from my last fracture. Then I would like to take advantage of this recess to be physically 10 points, have a great 2010-2011 season and then, be in optimal condition both mentally and physically to qualify in 2011 and then play the London Olympics in 2012. Just in case, I would like to clarify that the Spurs have nothing to do with my decision and that in fact they told me they have no issues with me playing in 2011 and 2012.

I have no doubts that it will be really tough to watch the World Cup on TV, that I will try to eat the screen on every play and that I will miss that competition like no one. But I analyzed my decision carefully, very tough sentimentally, but I think fair.

I hope you also are able to understand my position. I am not retiring from the National Team; I am just prioritizing London to Turkey and the possibility to be inside the Olympics once again.

Anyway, the heart, the talent and the character of the team it’s never under scrutiny, with or without me. It was demonstrated both in Vegas 2007 and Puerto Rico 2009. If you add to those teams Chapu, Fabri and other guys we are, like always, ready to fight for the highest positions and be on the podium yet again. I will firmly follow the team from San Antonio like the number one fan with Dante and Nicola on their National Team jersey’s standing fiercely for them and helping from the distance.

By Manu
Translation urunobili

manu the best
04-23-2010, 05:41 PM
even though i want to see him play in world .. i'm still happy that he said no .. he can rest his body after we win the championship this year ..
MANU=:lobt2:

manu the best
04-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Urunobili's translation :)

By Manu

After several days of internal debate and putting into balance my family, my head and heart, the time to make a decision about my participation in the Basketball world cup has arise. I always believed that the right thing was to inform the National Team coach in advance my plans once I had them clear so he could assemble the roster knowing who he could count with and whom he could not. That’s why, I think this is the right moment for me to talk about my future with the National Team.

I have arrived to the tough conclusion that today the best for me and my family is not to play Turkey’s world Cup.

Yes I know, some people may not share my point of view and maybe angry or disappointed in this moment, but believe me that it wasn’t easy to decide it. It’s not, or better said, it wasn’t an easy decision to take. I mentioned it in one of my columns a couple of weeks ago: I love to play with my friends of so many years, I enjoy every pick Fabri (Oberto) sets for me and his defensive play too, I surprise myself and celebrate each move Luifa (Scola) does that the majority of the times ends up in a basket, every brilliant Pablo (Prigioni) assist, each rebound or adventurous play Chapu (Nocioni) makes, those jaw dropping Carlitos (Delfino) moves , the triples by Paolo and Leo and so everybody else’s contribution. But on this occasion there are a lot of factors into play and I had to analyze it profoundly.

As it is publicly known and after several years trying, my wife and I will become parents of twins in May. I would like to be present on each one of those moments that I know will never be repeated, help my wife with everything she needs and enjoy every minute of this unique experience. The other of the reasons that made me make this decision and that is also important, is that my body isn’t ready to play three straight years with the National Team without having proper rest neither an appropriate athletic conditioning.

What do I mean by this? As I expressed before, my two previous experiences on the Olympics where the best thing that ever happened to me as an athlete, including the NBA rings, European championships and everything I lived on my almost 15 years of career, and I have no doubts in my head that I would like to live that again. I know the qualification won’t be easy either. That’s why my intention is to also play the pre Olympic tournament in 2011 that I understand have great chances to be organized in Argentina. It would be really nice to play an official championship on our own home court with our people after a decade (the only one was in 2001 in Neuquen) don’t you think? The idea is to accomplish the qualification and then yes, play my last (very possibly but one never knows) championship with the guys and with the white and blue in my chest.

After what happened in Beijing 2008, the surgery, the two fractures and the horrid 2008-2009 season, it took me a whole lot of time to be back in shape and recover my game. It has been two years already since I haven’t been able to have a good pre season conditioning,; the 2008 one, because of the games themselves and doubts about my ankle and the 2009 one to recover from my last fracture. Then I would like to take advantage of this recess to be physically 10 points, have a great 2010-2011 season and then, be in optimal condition both mentally and physically to qualify in 2011 and then play the London Olympics in 2012. Just in case, I would like to clarify that the Spurs have nothing to do with my decision and that in fact they told me they have no issues with me playing in 2011 and 2012.

I have no doubts that it will be really tough to watch the World Cup on TV, that I will try to eat the screen on every play and that I will miss that competition like no one. But I analyzed my decision carefully, very tough sentimentally, but I think fair.

I hope you also are able to understand my position. I am not retiring from the National Team; I am just prioritizing London to Turkey and the possibility to be inside the Olympics once again.

Anyway, the heart, the talent and the character of the team it’s never under scrutiny, with or without me. It was demonstrated both in Vegas 2007 and Puerto Rico 2009. If you add to those teams Chapu, Fabri and other guys we are, like always, ready to fight for the highest positions and be on the podium yet again. I will firmly follow the team from San Antonio like the number one fan with Dante and Nicola on their National Team jersey’s standing fiercely for them and helping from the distance.

By Manu
Translation urunobili

:worthy: .. your the best MANU ..

santymrc
04-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Let me clarify something. I'm not saying its wrong to wish Manu would play for NT. I'm saying its wrong to be a douche and start belittling the man and calling him a traitor because of a choice he's perfectly entitled to make. Its not like we're talking about a man that hasn't done shit for his national team. He's done more than anyone else.

SO to all the Argentine morons out there that call him a traitor, a "pechofrio", etc. You're all a bunch of self entitled pieces of shit who don't have a fucking clue what it is to be a professional athlete and have the responsabilities that carries.

Now, we agree.
After reading thouse comments, I wish I wasn't born here. But that ppl isn't basketball fans, they are soccer fans, they think its all the same... lame.