PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Stern warns coaches to quit griping about refs

ElNono
04-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Stern warns coaches to quit griping about refs (http://m.nba.com/s/showPage.do?pageId=6263646&itemPos=1&firstNewsPos=8)
Updated 22 Apr, 2010
NBA commissioner David Stern is tired of coaches and players griping about the officiating, and challenged them Thursday to "make my day" by continuing to complain during the rest of the playoffs.
The league handed out fines of $35,000 apiece on Thursday to Boston Celtics forward Rasheed Wallace, Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy and Orlando forward Matt Barnes for publicly criticizing officials. A week earlier, Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson was fined $35,000 for suggesting that Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant received preferential treatment from NBA referees.
Speaking before the Thunder hosted the Lakers, Stern said such comments were "corrosive" to the product that the league is putting on the floor. He said he understands why coaches try to work the officials through the media, but that the result is such comments undermine consumer confidence in the league's product.
"So, our coaches should be quiet because this is a good business that makes them good livings and supports a lot of families," Stern said. "And if they don't like it, they should go get a job someplace else. I don't mean to be too subtle."
Stern said he's often let such comments go "because of the pressure-cooker that is the NBA playoffs over the years."
"But when you hear a Chicago coach say that this game was lost because NBC wants an extra game and you hear a New York coach say, 'What are you going to do? Jordan gets all the calls,' it sounds like a lot of fun," Stern said.
"Or you hear a Stan Van Gundy do what he wants to say and then the players join in, we know inside the community what it's meant to do and sort of, 'OK, it's playoff time. Everyone's crazy,' so back off."
Stern said he regrets not coming down harder earlier on those who griped about officiating.
"I wish I had it to do all over again," he said. "Starting 20 years ago I'd be suspending Phil and [former Lakers and Miami Heat coach] Pat Riley for all the games they play in the media. You guys know that our referees go out there and knock themselves out and do the best job that they can, but we've got coaches who will do whatever it takes to try to work them publicly.
"If I had it to do again ... I would stop it and the price wouldn't be a modest $35,000 fine. It would be whatever a day's pay is and then two days' pay and then a week's pay.
"And if someone wants to try me in the rest of this playoffs, you know, make my day. Because the game is too important and I don't think that the people who trash it are respecting it, and we'll do what we have to do -- the players and coaches alike -- because they give the impression to our fans that the referees somehow have an agenda."
Stern said he crossed paths with Jackson on Thursday night at the Ford Center and said there were no hard feelings, at least from the commissioner.
"I think that Phil's a great coach," Stern said. "He's a friend of many years. I just came by and said, 'Hi,' and he said, 'I don't like you today.' And I said, 'I like you.'

Obstructed_View
04-23-2010, 03:12 AM
David Stern rules. :lol

TampaDude
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Layin' down the muthafukin' LAW, bitches!!! :lol

Cry Havoc
04-23-2010, 09:38 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151948

Still on the front page, no less.

phyzik
04-23-2010, 09:56 AM
"I think that Phil's a great coach," Stern said. "He's a friend of many years. I just came by and said, 'Hi,' and he said, 'I don't like you today.' And I said, 'I like you.'

Not suprising in the least coming from Phil. I always pictured him as a spoiled little 6yr old brat in a Colonel Sanders body.

JamStone
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Make it a $250,000 fine for bitching about officiating.

They will stop for sure. Coaches, players, everybody.

BronxCowboy
04-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes, some of the remarks are really annoying, especially Stan Van Gundy re: Howard not getting star calls. But there's something Iran-esque about Stern's approach. And his statement that the complaints undermine consumer confidence in the product only appear to lend the complainers credibility. Foolish move by Stern, IMO.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-23-2010, 10:18 AM
It is getting out of hand. It's nice to see him at least admitting what a lot of fans have been saying while this trend has been on the rise, namely that it's the result of guys like Phil Jackson having such success with it for years.

Cane
04-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Stern ftw.

SVG, Phil Jackson, Matt Barnes, etc. act like bitchy whinebags that take pleasure in shitting on the game that us fans contribute to.

Overrated fucks.

Chomag
04-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Make it a $250,000 fine for bitching about officiating.

They will stop for sure. Coaches, players, everybody.

Agreed, players as well. IT's getting so bad where players wont even go down and play defence because they are to busy crying to the refs to get back. It's starting to look like a soap opera out there more then a game.

I don't even understand what players think they gain by this other then making the ref mad at you which is not a good thing. I would rather be on the refs goodside if you ask me. I have never seen a ref go "I'm sorry your right dude, I made a stupid call I'll take that foul away".

Pretty, pretty stupid lol

Baseline
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
What Stern is essentially saying is this: "Don't freaking pull back the curtain. We know the league is tainted. But guys, if you're making millions in this league, you can't say anything about the refs. It's a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. If you violate it, you get fined."

Stern has been running a dictatorship for over 20 years. He can manipulate anything and everything from his chair, and he obviously does.

My question is, why wasn't he fined $250,000 for the Pau Gasol trade?