PDA

View Full Version : How to stop NBA flopping after a jump shot

dav4463
04-23-2010, 12:24 AM
New rule: "If a player falls down on any shot taken while OUTSIDE of the paint....you score only one point, or two points on a 3 pt shot"..."If a player falls down and MISSES the shot, it is a turnover"......What do you think?

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
They obviously don't know if the player is flopping..if they did know, they would always make the correct call/non-call

duhoh
04-23-2010, 12:27 AM
that takes away from legitimate shots though

ditto to HH

jestersmash
04-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Mods close this thread please.

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Flopping is not an issue the NBA takes seriously anyways IMO..

They said they were going to start fining for flopping a year or 2 ago, and it never happened..it's too difficult to control, it's all subjective when they're making decisions about flopping..

monosylab1k
04-23-2010, 12:47 AM
They need to just review flops the way they do flagrants and keep track of them like technicals. Differentiate between a "selling the call" flop (which IMO doesn't need to be punished if it's not that bad, however some are terrible), and a full on Andrei Kirilenko-style "nobody touched you but you still did a 720 and flew back 8 feet" flop (which absolutely has to be punished). If the flop is bad enough, then put it on the player's record, after a certain amount of recorded official flops, then he gets a 1 game suspension.

coyotes_geek
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
They need to just review flops the way they do flagrants and keep track of them like technicals. Differentiate between a "selling the call" flop (which IMO doesn't need to be punished if it's not that bad, however some are terrible), and a full on Andrei Kirilenko-style "nobody touched you but you still did a 720 and flew back 8 feet" flop (which absolutely has to be punished). If the flop is bad enough, then put it on the player's record, after a certain amount of recorded official flops, then he gets a 1 game suspension.

That's a horrible idea. The last thing in the world the league needs is players getting suspended based solely off of subjective decisions made by league personnel about where the mythical line between "flopping" and "selling the call" is.

Giuseppe
04-23-2010, 08:01 AM
No more reviews! Christ, the games are running near 3 hours now. 48 minutes of actual play carefully spliced into 180 minutes of air time.

pauls931
04-23-2010, 08:05 AM
If a defender gets a foul for not keeping his arms straight up when guarding an offensive player, I say make it an offensive foul if a jumpshooter jumps into a defender from a standstill.

Not exactly flopping, but a lot of jumpshooters get trapped on the perimeter then try to jump into the defender, then flop. I think the above rule might help. I hate this PUSSY ASS move players abuse and the refs let slide. Dway takes this to a whole new level.

I get so tired of seeing players getting themselves trapped, then the defender having to back off or run away when they shoot to avoid getting jumped into.

Pero
04-23-2010, 08:58 AM

Something like this actually exists in Europe. If a ref thinks the player was faking he gives him a warning. If the same player does it again he gets a technical foul. BTW in Europe technical fouls are counted as fouls too, not separately like in the NBA.
I'm not sure how much this rule is actually used though.

Fpoonsie
04-23-2010, 12:16 PM
That's a horrible idea. The last thing in the world the league needs is players getting suspended based solely off of subjective decisions made by league personnel about where the mythical line between "flopping" and "selling the call" is.

Truth.

If a defender gets a foul for not keeping his arms straight up when guarding an offensive player, I say make it an offensive foul if a jumpshooter jumps into a defender from a standstill.

Not exactly flopping, but a lot of jumpshooters get trapped on the perimeter then try to jump into the defender, then flop. I think the above rule might help. I hate this PUSSY ASS move players abuse and the refs let slide. Dway takes this to a whole new level.

I get so tired of seeing players getting themselves trapped, then the defender having to back off or run away when they shoot to avoid getting jumped into.

Truthier. And, while I can't fault Kidd at ALL for taking advantage of this fuck-up in the rule books, that coming to a complete stop as a defender is chasing needs to be...tweaked. Clear path foul, my ass.

monosylab1k
04-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Oh, you mean like the "horrible" judgement calls made where an official has to differentiate between a flagrant-1 and a flagrant-2?

hitmanyr2k
04-23-2010, 12:29 PM
The only time flailing is going to get called out is if someone gets injured from it. Like when Kobe was getting blocked and flailing his arms into players' faces giving them black eyes and bloody noses and shit :lol

Hooks
04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Speaking of flopping, can someone tell me the last time Manu flopped? I honestly can't remember him flopping this year...This is a serious question btw

hitmanyr2k
04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Speaking of flopping, can someone tell me the last time Manu flopped? I honestly can't remember him flopping this year...This is a serious question btw

Honestly he hasn't flopped much in the last 2-3 seasons. This year I don't see it anymore whatsoever.

HarlemHeat37
04-23-2010, 12:42 PM
It's true..I always find it annoying when people mention his flopping..he really hasn't done much of it for a while now..as a Spurs fan, it really annoys me, Manu's flopping used to be very enjoyable to watch, it's an effective tactic..I'm all for flopping on my own team, even though I'll complain about it when another team does it..

Biggems
04-23-2010, 04:43 PM
just give a "T" when a player flops

Biggems
04-23-2010, 04:45 PM

he did a few times.....but he is nowhere near the flopper he was. he cant be doing that anymore, his body wont allow that kind of stuff on a regular basis.

DJ Mbenga
04-23-2010, 04:56 PM
100,000 fines for people that flop. second offense a suspension third 20 games and so on.

pauls931
04-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Honestly he hasn't flopped much in the last 2-3 seasons. This year I don't see it anymore whatsoever.

hell, I saw him flop 2 games ago off the ball. Fighting through a pick and just flailed his arms and fell. Luckily the ref was savy and ignored it.

coyotes_geek
04-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Oh, you mean like the "horrible" judgement calls made where an official has to differentiate between a flagrant-1 and a flagrant-2?

How many times in an average game would an official have to decide whether or not a flagrant foul should be called? How many times during an average game would an official have to decide whether or not a flop should be called? Your idea is ridiculous.

monosylab1k
04-23-2010, 05:50 PM
How many times in an average game would an official have to decide whether or not a flagrant foul should be called? How many times during an average game would an official have to decide whether or not a flop should be called? Your idea is ridiculous.

did you even read my fucking idea? Refs wouldn't handle that. Flops would not be "called" during a game. After the game, if video evidence showed a flop, it would be reviewed by the league after the game. It would be kept track of by the league. No official would ever call "flopping".

Seriously, learn to fucking read before you spout your ignorant bullshit. Thanks.

baseline bum
04-23-2010, 05:52 PM

It sounds like he's just arguing for punishing those that are completely obvious. Like Monta Ellis dropping to the floor when Devin Harris' elbow misses him by half a foot.

coyotes_geek
04-23-2010, 07:05 PM
did you even read my fucking idea? Refs wouldn't handle that. Flops would not be "called" during a game. After the game, if video evidence showed a flop, it would be reviewed by the league after the game. It would be kept track of by the league. No official would ever call "flopping".

Seriously, learn to fucking read before you spout your ignorant bullshit. Thanks.

It's a dumb idea no matter when the calls get reviewed. You still end up with someone having to make completely subjective judgements with suspensions on the line all over situations that occur more often in a single game than flagrant fouls you get league wide in a week. Suspensions for flagrants makes sense because of the injury risks that come along with those plays. When's the last time a flop ever injured someone? Suspending players for flops is ridiculous.

Oh, and try to grow up. Quit getting so butthurt just because someone doesn't like your idea.

coyotes_geek
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
It sounds like he's just arguing for punishing those that are completely obvious. Like Monta Ellis dropping to the floor when Devin Harris' elbow misses him by half a foot.

The problem is who gets to define what's "completely obvious" and what isn't? Who gets to decide what calls or no calls need to be looked at? Who gets to decide how many inches on that miss should Monta be allowed for trying to "sell the call" as opposed to outright flopping? Is it going to be the same person making that decision each time, or are we going to get one "flop reviewer" deciding that 6 inches is okay and another saying that 6 it's an obvious flop and should count towards getting that player suspsended? It's a bad concept because there's no way to enforce it equitably.