PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party vs GEICO?

Stringer_Bell
04-23-2010, 01:01 AM
http://www.prweb.com/releases/freedomworks/geico/prweb3906104.htm

Los Angeles actor, D.C. Douglas, says he was dropped from the upcoming GEICO "Shocking News" campaign after a group of Tea Party members harassed him and the insurance giant over a private voicemail the actor left for FreedomWorks. Matt Kibbe, President and CEO of FreedomWorks, posted Mr. Douglas' cell phone number in a blog post on biggovernment.com, instructing readers to "Feel free to contact (him)… call his employer too. Let them know that you…are now in the market for car insurance." The next day, GEICO held auditions to replace Mr. Douglas' voice on the campaign.

I'm not choosing a side here, but the timeline in question is quite intriguing, especially considering that GEICO was already on the FreedomWorks boycott list.

Also not discussed in the article is the actual message left by the voice actor...apparently he called Tea Party members retards and asked what excuses will be made if one of the members kills someone. :wow

DJ Mbenga
04-23-2010, 01:54 AM
http://www.prweb.com/releases/freedomworks/geico/prweb3906104.htm

I'm not choosing a side here, but the timeline in question is quite intriguing, especially considering that GEICO was already on the FreedomWorks boycott list.

Also not discussed in the article is the actual message left by the voice actor...apparently he called Tea Party members retards and asked what excuses will be made if one of the members kills someone. :wow

the article i read said that was the reason he was fired. retards comment etc.

Wild Cobra
04-25-2010, 02:24 PM
the article i read said that was the reason he was fired. retards comment etc.
There isn't a large corporation around that will higher that guy now. Bad for the public image.

ChumpDumper
04-25-2010, 02:45 PM
There isn't a large corporation around that will higher that guy now. Bad for the public image.After awhile, who would even know it's him?

Stringer_Bell
04-25-2010, 02:48 PM
There isn't a large corporation around that will higher that guy now. Bad for the public image.

He'll still get lots of video game work and film voiceovers (his jobs there are safe, I don't think Tea Party express doesn't have a fun bone in their body enough to scare anyone in that sector :lol). Tbh I don't think his voice is that recognizable so somewhere down the line he'll be working again. But the pussy ass thing to me is that FreedomWorks already had GEICO under a boycott...they were just flexing their muscle with this.

Can ONE person really tarnish the image of the company he works for or the friends he keeps? These were not comments he made on national radio or on camera...it was in an angry hissy fit voicemail. If Rush, in all his hypocrisy and hate, can find work in this country then so can voiceover guy!

Wild Cobra
04-25-2010, 03:16 PM
He'll still get lots of video game work and film voiceovers (his jobs there are safe, I don't think Tea Party express doesn't have a fun bone in their body enough to scare anyone in that sector :lol). Tbh I don't think his voice is that recognizable so somewhere down the line he'll be working again. But the pussy ass thing to me is that FreedomWorks already had GEICO under a boycott...they were just flexing their muscle with this.

Can ONE person really tarnish the image of the company he works for or the friends he keeps? These were not comments he made on national radio or on camera...it was in an angry hissy fit voicemail. If Rush, in all his hypocrisy and hate, can find work in this country then so can voiceover guy!
I was making the point that as a public relations job, which his voice-over was for Geico, nobody wants a tarnished image.

Are you suggesting Geico should have let it slide because Freedom Works doesn't like them? Do two wrongs make a right in your world?

Stringer_Bell
04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Are you suggesting Geico should have let it slide because Freedom Works doesn't like them? Do two wrongs make a right in your world?

Calling people "retards" or "libtards" or "repugs" doesn't constitute a wrong...it's an opinion, and being a voiceover guy or the janitor for GEICO doesn't make you any more or less of a representative in MY world. Cuz in MY world people aren't offended by words like that, certainly not enough for me to start calling people's work places because they disagree with my fake Grassroots movement.

You could call me naive to the business side of this, but in MY world I don't have enough time on my hands to chase after people for talking shit if they're already on my shit list. I'm in the business of forward thinking solutions to build for tomorrow, not the stop and stall to blacklist people in an effort to tear them down business. :king

Edit: Here's another current discussion on this "mouthpiece" stuff that is hitting closer to home http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152312