PDA

View Full Version : Yeah we won Game 2 but I still can't bring myself to believe

tim_duncan_fan
04-23-2010, 01:15 AM
in Tiago Splitter. Seriously, why do we Spurs fans talk about this guy so much?

SpursTillTheEnd
04-23-2010, 01:30 AM
I don't Really know who he is, but i just seen his highlight video and if he can run that pick and roll like that with manu other teams are in trouble

jestersmash
04-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Some people on these forums make splitter out to be the next coming of Duncan

There's no indication of what he'll be...until he gets here. I think we should spend more time building up Ian. Ian has the length and size to be a potential consistent 12-8 player in this league

mookie2001
04-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Because he is not American. That is all

if his name was marcus smith from florida he would either be in the NBA or we would know he sucked by now

spurstalk loves foreigners more than they love Internet, basketball and duncan228 combined

admiralsnackbar
04-23-2010, 01:48 AM
I don't know that that many people are casting him as anything in Duncan's ballpark as much as they're excited about the prospect of snagging a talented big to play with Tim and Blair. Considering someone like Przyzbilla could really help the Spurs, having the rights to somebody more talented than him is reason enough to cheer, IMO.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Because he's a good player in the mould and talent of Scola/M.Gasol/Varejao, we have his rights and his price is within our capabilities,so why wouldn't people talk about him?

He has more talent in his pinkie than Mahinmi has. The only question is whether he could translate his game to the NBA, but for the expected contract he'll get ( around 10-12M/3 years, this is a risk worth taking.

BillMc
04-23-2010, 01:52 AM
because he's a good player in the mould and talent of scola/m.gasol/varejao, we have his rights and his price is within our capabilities,so why wouldn't people talk about him?

He has more talent in his pinkie than mahinmi has. The only question is whether he could translate his game to the nba, but for the expected contract he'll get ( around 10-12m/3 years, this is a risk worth taking.

+1

tim_duncan_fan
04-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Some people on these forums make splitter out to be the next coming of Duncan

There's no indication of what he'll be...until he gets here. I think we should spend more time building up Ian. Ian has the length and size to be a potential consistent 12-8 player in this league

This.

Most definitely this.

Hell, he gets eight points any time Pop puts him in for more than 2 minutes.

jason1301
04-23-2010, 02:53 AM
I think a lot had to do with how well scola has played for houston, to that add his relatively low salary --like a poster above me already mentioned.

Speaking of going 12 and 8, what do you guys think of Blair next year? I think he ll go 12 and 8 easily.

Fpoonsie
04-23-2010, 06:13 AM
What an odd segue.

exstatic
04-23-2010, 07:33 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Splitter is one of the best players in Europe. Mahinmi struggled in the French league. You Church of Ian people REALLY need to fucking check yourselves.....

jason1301
04-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Yeah Ian is a bust, I just can't why of all the coaches Larry Brown seemed to really like him, when spent time with him in the FNT.

TheChillFactor
04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
7 foot varejao

anakha
04-23-2010, 07:59 AM
what an odd segue.

+1000

coyotes_geek
04-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Dear God what have any of you seen from Ian that would lead you to believe he's capable of being a 12 and 8 guy in this league? That's just insane.

BronxCowboy
04-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Dear God what have any of you seen from Ian that would lead you to believe he's capable of being a 12 and 8 guy in this league? That's just insane.

As in 12 minutes, 8 personal fouls. Then again, if he can fix that problem, he'll probably crack somebody's rotation.

jestersmash
04-23-2010, 08:57 AM

Check his game log throughout the season. I don't think he's been given a fair chance at real minutes given the fact that he's made the most out of his garbage time.

He's obviously not a good player right now, but his size cannot be ignored and his offensive efficiency (in garbage time) is passable to the point where it's not such a stretch to suggest that he's capable of being coached/trained up to a 12-8 level.

He's not quite 7 feet, but he has tremendous length. I think it would behoove Pop to start giving him meaningful minutes during the 2010-2011 regular season.

jestersmash
04-23-2010, 08:59 AM
By the way, just to be clear, I'm not making an either/or argument here. Obviously, if I had to choose between Mahinmi and Splitter, give me Splitter. He has a more proven record in europe.

I just think Splitter is sometimes overrated while Mahinmi's potential is underrated. Any time you have a 6'11" guy with his sort of length, the potential for 12-8 is there almost by default.

EricB
04-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Yeah Ian is a bust, I just can't why of all the coaches Larry Brown seemed to really like him, when spent time with him in the FNT.

I still disagree that a player at the end of the first round can be considered a bust....

Drachen
04-23-2010, 09:12 AM
what does game 2 have to do with splitter's talent?

coyotes_geek
04-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Check his game log throughout the season. I don't think he's been given a fair chance at real minutes given the fact that he's made the most out of his garbage time.

He's obviously not a good player right now, but his size cannot be ignored and his offensive efficiency (in garbage time) is passable to the point where it's not such a stretch to suggest that he's capable of being coached/trained up to a 12-8 level.

He's not quite 7 feet, but he has tremendous length. I think it would behoove Pop to start giving him meaningful minutes during the 2010-2011 regular season.

By the way, just to be clear, I'm not making an either/or argument here. Obviously, if I had to choose between Mahinmi and Splitter, give me Splitter. He has a more proven record in europe.

I just think Splitter is sometimes overrated while Mahinmi's potential is underrated. Any time you have a 6'11" guy with his sort of length, the potential for 12-8 is there almost by default.

There were only 17 guys in the entire league this year who put up 12 and 8. To suggest that Ian can join that group is to suggest that Ian can be one of the 20 best bigs in the entire NBA. That's absurd. I'm not saying there's no chance of Ian becoming a guy who can make a rotation somewhere, but as time goes on the odds of that happening get longer and longer. Five years after drafting Ian we're still saying the same "well, he's tall and athletic" bit that we were on draft night.

bigdog
04-23-2010, 12:14 PM
How can Ian be a bust? The day he was drafted, its not like everyone (including the experts) were saying "this guy is going to be Hakeem Olajuwon v2.0". He was a pick at the end of the first round. There were no expectations set for him. He was just another guy the Spurs stashed overseas until they brought him over. He's not a bust.

As for Splitter, I honestly don't believe in him as much as a lot of the other posters on here do. Some people think he's going to be an all star as soon as he steps on the court. I don't. I honestly don't see anything too special about him. I think his game will be soft in the NBA. I hope he proves me wrong and makes me look and sound like a complete idiot, though.

in2deep
04-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Splitter is the best bigman in Europe. The previous best bigman in Europe is playing solid ball in Houston.

04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
people are excited about splitter because of marc gasol and scola. both were very good in europe and are pretty good now. i don't know if splitter can be the same though.

Velo
04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
If we could, I'd like to see Splitter and Ian play alongside each other. Think that would be a compliment of talent; a couple of bigs, one wiry athletic big and another good offensive big? Or would that compound the problems?